Start by marking “Elijah: A Man of Heroism and Humility (Great Lives from God's Word, #5)” as Want to Read:
Elijah: A Man of Heroism and Humility (Great Lives from God's Word, #5)

Elijah: A Man of Heroism and Humility (Great Lives From God's Word)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  395 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Where are great leaders like Elijah today? Uncompromisingly strong, yet self-controlled. Disciplined, yet forgiving. Audaciously courageous, yet kind. Heroic in the heat of battle, yet humble in the aftermath.

We see a few such men and women, but the list is tragically short. Rarely does someone model these invaluable traits more obviously than God's mighty prophet Elijah,
Published October 3rd 2000 by Thomas Nelson (first published October 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Elijah, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elijah

Apr 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: walk-of-faith
A wonderful look at this amazing man of God
Kayce
Apr 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Yet another wonderful read by Charles Swindoll! Reading these books remind me of what my grandmother used to tell me. When I was in the 10-12 year old range, I read a lot of R.L. Stine novels (Fear Street series, anyone?) And my grandmother, a devout Christian with G rated thoughts, used to ask me, “Why don’t you read some nicer books like animal stories or biographies?” At the time that just sounded horrendous. But the older I get, the more I really do enjoy both! haha (Guess my Nana was on to ...more
Ian
Jan 20, 2015 added it
A solid study of Elijah's life, if a bit presumptuous in some places. There is plenty of insight and some useful historical insight as well.
Matt Terry
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Great Read

Once again Pastor Charles writes in ways that I can apply in my weirdly worldly life. We are certainly blessed that God has given such a spiritual gift to the good Pastor in order to spiritually help us.
Lori
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Swindoll takes the story of Elijah (from I & II Kings in the Bible) and breaks it down. He adds details and gives a better sense of the time that passes while Elijah is prophet for God. It brings to the forefront exactly how much Elijah is "A Man of Heroism and Humility."
Mary Ellen
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: carmelite
Audio book
Brian Taylor
Jul 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Elijah: A Man of Heroism and Humility takes a look at the life of Elijah in a way that is unlike any other book that I've encountered before. Dr. Charles Swindoll paints a picturesque image of him as someone akin to this nation's Robert E. Lee. Having faced a crucible that was very warlike in nature, Elijah had to show great humility and heroism throughout his life, whether it was in service to God as he faced those who wanted him dead or whether it was in the presence of a grieving woman who si ...more
Clara Roberts
Nov 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although I have read the Story of Elijah many times, the Bible became fresh again as I read Swindoll's Character study of Elijah. When Elijah is taken up in a whirlwind and Elisha cries, "My Father! My Father! The chariots and horsemen of Israel." This was a capsule of the life of Elijah. Swindoll speaks of Elijah's despondancy, his discouagement, and his depression. "God looks for special people at difficult times and God's methods are often surpristing and we all stand before God." These are s ...more
Lori
Dec 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Elijah is a character that provides hope for all of us in that he is a common man; unexceptional in most every way, as are most of us.

But, at the same time he is discouraging: would I be unhesitant in following the Lord's seemingly nonsensical commands like Elijah was? Would I be brave when squaring off with the wicked king of Israel, challenging his idols, dualing spiritually with his 'god' and slaying that god's priests? I wonder.

I do know that I would like God to give me the same 'thumbs up'
Dan Curnutt
Jun 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this. Chuck does a great job in capturing not just the life of Elijah but then helping the reader (me) put into practical terms how I should apply the lessons Elijah learned to my own life.

I was particularly moved by the thought about how Elijah could get the best of 450 prophets of Baal, succeed in his contest with them, be at the top of his game emotionally and spiritually but then plunge into the depths of depression.

It gave me much to think about. It is a quick read
Frank
May 18, 2009 rated it liked it
I have been looking forward to reading this series and received this book for my last birthday. Elijah is one my favorite OT characters and the showdown at Mt. Carmel one of my favorite passages. I would have liked some more in depth analysis regarding some of the events in Elijah's life, but will look for other books to fill in those desires.
Tiffany  Ashcraft
Jan 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
i really enjoy all of charles swindoll's great lives books. i liked that this particular book had more scripture than the others i have read. at the same time, this book probably had less personal reflection which i missed. overall, the book was great but esther and david are better:)
Ireine Roosdy
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
After I read this book I was ascertained to name my baby boy Elijah. I prayed he would take the full humanity of Prophet Elijah's service, be of full bravery in faith, yet humble enough to admit insecurity only to God in person.
Jt
Loved it.
Apr 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading about Elijah. I feel that I spend so much time reading the New Testament that it was very refreshing to read about the life of someone in the Old Testament.
Doris
Powerful! Insightful! Want to read more books on Biblical characters.
Christian Saputra
Jul 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Too many repetitions; but still considered OK.
Mona Randall
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another great read by Charles Swindoll.
Kelly
Aug 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
A great book about a great man. Very informative while applying Biblical concepts to everyday life. I highly recommend this book & hope to read others in the series.
Darrell
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
A really good look inside the life of this great man.
Jobe
Oct 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
My review isn't going to be very good. Are you ready? This book was really good. I enjoyed it immensely and encourage you to check out all of Swindoll's books in this series. The End.
Emily
Jan 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Elijah was pretty good, but the author didn't expand on some of the parts of Elijah's life I was most interested in like the part where he runs for cover after Jezebel threatens to kill him.
Rusty Campbell
Les
Aug 23, 2008
Wanju Duli
Mar 28, 2017
  • Twelve Unlikely Heroes: How God Commissioned Unexpected People in the Bible and What He Wants to Do with You
  • Handbook on the Pentateuch: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy
  • Eternal Security
  • Paul: An Outline of His Theology
  • The Gospel Focus of Charles Spurgeon (A Long Line of Godly Men Profile)
  • Hitler's Cross: The Revealing Story of How the Cross of Christ Was Used as a Symbol of the Nazi Agenda
  • John MacArthur: Servant of the Word and Flock
  • Our Covenant God: Living in the Security of His Unfailing Love
  • The Root of the Righteous
  • John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine & Doxology
  • The Reformation: How a Monk and a Mallet Changed the World
Charles Swindoll has devoted over four decades to two passions: an unwavering commitment to the practical communication and application of God's Word, and an untiring devotion to seeing lives transformed by God's grace. Chuck graduated magna cum laude from Dallas Theological Seminary and has since been honored with four doctorates. For his teaching on Insight for Living, he has received the Progra ...more
More about Charles R. Swindoll...

Great Lives From God's Word (9 books)
  • David: A Man of Passion and Destiny (Great Lives from God's Word, #1)
  • Esther: A Woman of Strength & Dignity (Great Lives From God's Word Volume 2)
  • Joseph: A Man of Integrity and Forgiveness (Great Lives from God's Word, #3)
  • Moses: A Man of Selfless Dedication (Great Lives From God's Word 4)
  • Paul: A Man of Grace and Grit (Great Lives from God's Word, #6)
  • Job: A Man of Heroic Endurance (Great Lives from God's Word Series, Volume 7)
  • Facinating Stories of Forgotten Lives: Rediscovering some Old Testament Characters (Great Lives From God's Word Volume 8)
  • Jesus: The Greatest Life of All