Start by marking “West from Home: Letters of Laura Ingalls Wilder, San Francisco, 1915 (Little House #11)” as Want to Read:
West from Home: Letters of Laura Ingalls Wilder, San Francisco, 1915  (Little House #11)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  3,726 Ratings  ·  126 Reviews
       In 1915, Laura Ingalls Wilder traveled by train from her home in Missouri to San Francisco. Laura's westward journey to visit her daughter, Rose Wilder Lane, coincided with a spectacular event taking place in that city-the Panama Pacific International Exposition.
       This was a great world's fair celebrating the completion of the Panama Canal, and Laura was amaze
Paperback, 1st Paperback edition, 124 pages
Published October 20th 1976 by Harper & Row (first published November 1974)

To ask other readers questions about West from Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about West from Home

Victoria Lynn
I am not a huge fan of Laura Ingalls Wilder *cringes and hides from the fans* and this book was rather boring, but I gave it 2 stars for interesting historical details.
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love the "Little House" books. And I'm fascinated with 1910s San Francisco and its Panama-Pacific International Exposition of 1915 (world's fair). What a happy discovery, indeed, when I realized that Laura herself visited the PPIE when she visited her daughter in SF *and* wrote about her experience to her husband, Manly, who stayed home in Mansfield to oversee the farm. This is the collection of those letters and it proves a quick, delightful read for fans of Laura, San Francisco, worlds fairs ...more
Mar 31, 2009 rated it liked it
My first impression of Laura's letters to Almanzo was that they were more practical than romantic. I forgot that they were written during a time when letters were often read a loud to anyone who would listen. Eek! I wouldn’t get too lovey-dovey either. But, the affection and at time loneliness Laura felt for her husband, pet and home still manage to roost among her vivid descriptions of San Francisco. Although she never says it plainly, I got the feeling Laura wasn’t pleased with her underachiev ...more
Sep 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
San Francisco 1915, Die Panama-Pacific International Exhibition feiert die Fertigstellung des Panama Kanals im neu aufgebauten San Francisco. Laura Ingalls Wilder, die spätere Autorin des „Little house Books“ besucht zu dieser Zeit ihre Tochter Rose und deren Ehemann in San Francisco. Da Lauras Ehemann Almanzo auf dem Bauernhof bleiben musste, schreibt ihm seine treue Gattin fast täglich Briefe über das was sie gesehen und erlebt hat. Wie sie als Kind für ihre blinde Schwester Mary die Augen ers ...more
Liz Simmons
May 09, 2015 rated it liked it
A somewhat interesting collection of letters written by Laura ingalls wilder to her husband ( stuck back on the farm ) when she visited her daughter rose in San Francisco in 1915. Some good descriptions of what San Francisco looked like and felt at the time. Lots of description of the worlds fair that was happening at the time in celebration of the opening of the Panama Canal.
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Though maybe not part of the Little House canon, it documents the obvious affection the family of three had for one another.
ดินสอ สีไม้
ถาไมใชแฟนพันธุแทลอราขนาดนัน คงไมอยากรู
เปนเพียงจดหมายบอกเลาการเดินทางไปเทียว (ไปเยียมลูกสาว)
Elizabeth K.
Oct 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Elaine
Shelves: 2007-new-reads
I liked this a lot more than I was anticipating. These letters were written by Laura to her husband, well before she wrote the Little House books, during a visit she made to their daughter in San Francisco. In addition to seeing her daughter, the other point of the trip was to see the Panama-Pacific Exposition, kind of like a World's Fair thing. It's a great look at San Francisco at this time, she does a lot of sight-seeing (at the Expo and elsewhere) and describes everything with a lot of charm ...more
Jul 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
I thought of this book as more of a historical document, rather than a Laura Ingalls Wilder story.

"West From Home" is a series of letters that Laura wrote to her husband Almanzo in 1915 during her trip to the World's Fair in San Francisco. Her attention to detail, and descriptions of the fair and the city have now made it an important historical account.

Many of the places that Laura visited are still in San Francisco to this day. From Telegraph Hill to Fisherman's Wharf, Chinatown to Presidio Pa
lovely book.

Laura sees and goes wading in the pacific ocean for the first time, something her daughter had never done. i wanted to scream at the kids on the beach w/her "don't you know who that is?!" but she wasn't Laura Ingalls Wilder yet, she was a mom visiting her famous writer daughter and seeing the world's fair, the little fame she had was as a small town newspaper columnist.
rose wilder lane writes henry ford's autobiography during the period these letters are from, ten years before the m
Jun 29, 2014 rated it liked it
This is collection of letters that Wilder sent home to her husband while she was visiting her daughter, Rose, in San Francisco, sightseeing around the area and enjoying the 1915 World's Fair Panama-Pacific Exposition. The letters are heavy with details of the trip and are interesting as an historical account of this particular time and place. What I thought was even more interesting, though, was Wilder's perception of the city, her naivete, and her love for her husband and the Ozarks hills she c ...more
Maria Elmvang
Great era-snapshop and description of the fair in San Fransisco, but honestly, I don't think I'd have been all that interested, if it hadn't been seen through the eyes of Laura Ingalls Wilder. I've always wanted to know "what happened next", and this gives a nice look into her curiosity, desire to learn and her relationship with Rose and Almanzo.

I was very interested in reading that she and Almanzo had considered moving to New Zealand at one point though. I wish they had - I would have LOVED to
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A much greater insight into Laura (Bess/Bessie) and Rose's relationship as mother and daughter. Also the kind of man Gillette, Rose's husband, was. Interesting to read about the writing projects of both mother and daughter.
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I distinctly remember being heartbroken when I realized the Little House books were novels. I still loved them. But there was a little mental tarnish that I just couldn’t scrub away once I knew they were fiction.

I wanted to know if Laura was really how she describes herself. If Ma really talked like that. If Carrie was really that good (and forgettable) as a baby.

So when I was at a used book sale and saw the subtitle of West from Home (Letters of Laura Ingalls Wilder) I grabbed it from among th
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this collection of letters and the details and observations that Laura sends home to her husband, Manly. From her train ride West to San Francisco, particularly her description of the great salt lake, to her first time dipping her toes in the Pacific Ocean and her affinity for boat rides on the bay, it was an absolute delight. I’m born and raised in Sacramento, I’ve spend a lot of time in SF, and I’m a historian to boot, and I even learned some things from this first hand account about S ...more
Katherine VanderSluis
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fic
What a treasure to find! Having read all 9 "Little House" books (which Laura did not write until 17 years AFTER she penned these letters), this little book was a delightful way to revisit Laura, Manly (vicariously), and their daughter Rose. The letters are rich with history from a personal perspective, augmented with wonderful historic photos added by the editor. During this correspondence, Laura-- now called "Bessie" to her family, since Almanzo had a Laura in his family-- has traveled to San F ...more
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Our local parish used to have a grade school. It closed down many years ago, but some of the rooms were left almost untouched. A few years ago, they decided to empty out what used to be the school library and use it for a church group to meet in. They sold as much as they could, including a bag sale. Buy a paper bag for $5, and fill it up with as many books as you can. I came home with dozens of books for my oldest, and this book for me. I did not know it existed before that day. The book sat in ...more
Alexandra Fil
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this collection of letters! It was exciting to see my home city through the eyes of one of my favorite authors, and her letters to Almanzo were like a journey through time. I would definitely recommend this light read to any fan of Laura Ingalls Wilder.
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am so happy this book exists...
What an amazing find for history, a first hand account of the 1915 San Francisco Exposition by a Midwesterner ;) Whom we all know and love. My mom would have loved this
Kim Hampton
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A collection of Laura's letters to Almanzo from her trip to San Francisco to visit their daughter, Rose. They show a glimpse of her ability to describe scenes in vivid detail, which she would later become famous for in the Little House books.
Katina stewart
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed reading about the Panama Pacific International Exposition in San Francisco. The pictures were a plus.
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A nice read! Mostly a collection of letters Laura wrote to Almanzo while visiting daughter Rose during the International Exposition in San Francisco in 1915.
Nov 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: autobiography
A fun look at the 1915 world's fair in San Francisco as told through letters from Laura to Almanzo.
This is an interesting set of letters written by Laura to her husband while she is on a trip to visit their daughter in San Francisco. Not as good as her Little House books, but still good to read.
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
This one was a struggle to finish. I like Laura's writing, and she's incredibly descriptive about the World's Fair, but one-sided letters are fairly boring.
Molly S
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Historically fascinating.
Rosa Cline
These were a great read! Actual letters Laura wrote 'home' to Almanzo while she visited Rose and her then husband Gillette in San Fransico. Laura had been so used to describing things for Mary when she went blind that she had a gift for explaining things even in her letters back home. What made it even more interesting to me was #1 I've never been to San Francisco and even now YEARS later I can imagine how great and grand the place is. and #2 after talking with other Laura researchers and people ...more
Amy Kitchell-Leighty
Feb 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: diaries-letters
This book is a collection of letters that Laura Ingalls Wilder writes to her husband Almonzo Wilder while Laura is visiting their daughter Rose in San Francisco. The letters span from the spring of 1915 to October 1915.

Rose, who was a successful journalist, helps her mother with her own writing career, encouraging her mother to write her own stories and showing her how to write for a newspaper.

Laura is extremely descriptive in her letters to her husband, which she writes several times a week.
Aug 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
"It is like a fairyland." So Laura Ingalls Wilder described her 1915 voyage to San Francisco to visit her daughter, Rose Wilder Lane. Laura's husband, Almanzo, was unable to leave their Missouri farm and it is her faithful letters home, vividly describing every detail of her journey, that have been gathered here. Includes 24 pages of exciting photographs.

I've read just a few pages but found it interesting that Laura was called "Bessie" within her family to avoid confusion with her SIL, also name
  • Bachelor Girl (Little House: The Rose Years, #8)
  • Beyond the Heather Hills (Little House: The Martha Years, #4)
  • Pioneer Girl: The Story of Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • I Remember Laura: Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • Laura: The Life of Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • On Top of Concord Hill (Little House: The Caroline Years, #4)
  • Free Land
  • The Little House Cookbook: Frontier Foods from Laura Ingalls Wilder's Classic Stories
Ingalls wrote a series of historical fiction books for children based on her childhood growing up in a pioneer family. She also wrote a regular newspaper column and kept a diary as an adult moving from South Dakota to Missouri, the latter of which has been published as a book.
More about Laura Ingalls Wilder...

Little House (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Little House in the Big Woods (Little House, #1)
  • Little House on the Prairie (Little House, #2)
  • Farmer Boy (Little House, #3)
  • On the Banks of Plum Creek  (Little House, #4)
  • By the Shores of Silver Lake  (Little House, #5)
  • The Long Winter (Little House, #6)
  • Little Town on the Prairie  (Little House, #7)
  • These Happy Golden Years (Little House, #8)
  • The First Four Years  (Little House, #9)
  • On the Way Home: The Diary of a Trip from South Dakota to Mansfield, Missouri, in 1894  (Little House #10)
“We have had the thickest fog ever for several days. All night and all day we can hear the sirens on the different islands and headlands, and the ferries and ships at anchor in the bay keep their foghorns bellowing. We can not see the bay at all nor any part of San Francisco except the few close houses on Russian Hill. The foghorns sound so mournful and distressed, like lost souls calling to each other through the void. (Of course, no one ever heard a lost soul calling, but that’s the way it sounds.)” 0 likes