Start by marking “Sheep in a Jeep” as Want to Read:
Sheep in a Jeep

Sheep in a Jeep

(Sheep)

A flock of hapless sheep drive through the country in this rhyming picture book.
Board Book, 26 pages
Published August 25th 1997 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Sheep in a Jeep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sheep in a Jeep

samn
Jun 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is one of few books able to transcend the inadequacies of human communication. It explores profound spiritual journey, deep loss, personal transformation, and bitter disillusionment. It challenges and critically analyzes society as we know it. This book embarks upon an exploration of the range of human emotion, and challenges the resilience of the spirit of humanity.
Lillian Angelovic
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A long-time favorite, this was a repeat request read when my kids were leetle ones. (P.S. to those who think the subject matter might be disturbing: Unless they suffer from car-accident-induced PTSD, kids aren't bothered by the likes of jeeps crashing in picture books. They don't have the life experience to make the negative connection, so it's just funny to them. Toy cars crash all the time without disastrous consequences. It's the adults who might have problems with that sort of thing, and loo ...more
Danielle
My son has autism and although he is 10 he likes younger books that he can read successfully himself. This one also has many words with 'S' so it provides good practice for his speech!
Mairead
Everything about this book is A's current jam.
David
Jul 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Sheep in a Jeep by Nancy E. Shaw is the first in Shaw's Sheep series. Five silly sheep rhyme their way through a totally unsuccessful drive.

Sheep push the stalled jeep so that it gets stuck in mud. They are assisted by stong pigs, but crash into a tree. Sheep then try to sell the wrecked jeep!

This story features a rhyming text, a large, bold font, about fifty words, and lots of repetition making it work well as a beginning reader. The small pictures make this a best bet for reading to a few chil
Christopher Hicks
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It was a cute well written children's book.
Brice Sainsbury
Aug 17, 2009 rated it liked it
This book first caught my eye because of the red Jeep on the cover, owning a similar jeep I dove head first into this mind boggling 32 page masterpiece thinking it would help with the sheep like noises coming from my jeep. I learned all too quick that this book was well beyond my age when I failed to realize that sheep cannot drive a jeep! The artistic factor in this book is well below sub-par, I think I could have drawn better in an ambien induced coma. I am not sure who the author was trying t ...more
Logan
May 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A current favorite of my son's-we're reading it nightly at the moment. We read a lot of children's books, and sometimes I post them here, if they are really noteworthy. We love everything about this book! The illustrations of the sheep really convey the emotions they're experiencing as they completely screw up their attempts at driving their jeep for the first time. They're really funny, and my 4 year old loves them. The story is funny too, and is told in simple couplets that are easy to memoriz ...more
Hannah
Nov 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
When three of my younger siblings were little, they loved this book, having my siblings and I read it to them multiple times a day. Though it's been around five years since we lost it, I still can recite the whole book from memory. It's a fun story, with cheerful rhyming and colorful illustrations.
Kassie Wainwright
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book literally just cracks me up
Andrea Jeter
Text-to-teaching connection

We can do an art activity creating our own individual sheep. I will already have my example placed on the board so that it is visual to each child. I will have all materials placed on each table and they will have a certain amount of time to complete this activity. When time is up anybody who would like to share will be more than welcomed to do so. After presentations, if any we place our activity around the classroom. We will clean up and move on to our next assignmen
Danielle
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Some sheep set out for a ride in their jeep and meet misfortune along the way.

My 3yo really enjoyed this book. The rhyming is really fun and the story has a lot of humor. It's a quick read and would be great for a beginning reader to see how letters work together to make a sound.
Levi
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply amazing!! So good! It's hilarious, fun, and pretty tricky to read if you aren't careful. Straight up fun and good times! I've gotta get the other books in the series now.
Leigh Triplett
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ga-pre-k-books
A great book for early readers with short sentences. It also has rhyming through out and would be a great way to introduce it to a class. The book has vivid pictures full of color.
Anita Marlin
It is a funny, short, and rhyming story. Many sound words and action words make it very lively. Young children will learn many new vocabularies from this simple short story.
Holly Hardwick
Sheep in a Jeep by Nancy Shaw and illustrated by Margot Apple is an average rhyming book for children. It is very predictable in its rhyming pattern and would be good for teaching students pattern and rhyme, but other than that I did not find it particularly interesting. Children would probably love hearing a story about the antics of sheep driving a jeep and subsequently getting it stuck in mud, having to push it up a hill, and crashing to pieces since these are not things that barnyard animal ...more
Michelle
Oct 01, 2009 rated it liked it
Summary:
"Beep! Beep! Sheep in a jeep on a hill that's steep."
This story, much like the jeep, gathers momentum from page one. When five foolish sheep cram into one jeep, their high spirits and occasional lack of foresight (like forgetting to steer) combine to make a riotous, if ill-fated, road trip. Plummeting over a hill, tumbling into a mud puddle, yelping for help, these muttonheads just can't get their act together, much to the delight of young readers.
Nancy Shaw's Seussian rhymes are guara
Heidi-Marie
Good beginner's book because of the repeated words and the use of rhyme. Cute illustrations with detail should the young reader care to look further than the obvious action presented. I like the story, too.

3/28/11 Another one with toddler potential! Especially as we have a nice big board book version. We'll see how it goes.

4/14/11 This worked even better in toddler storytime than I would have expected. Those who were familiar with it were so excited to have it read to them. And others were compl
Liz
Oct 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 3 years old - 7 years old
Shelves: lis-565
I love this silly rhyming book! It was one of my favorites when I was a kid, I learned to read with this book. A bunch of sheep in a jeep get stuck, they all jump out to push and it ends up in the mud. With the help of some friendly pigs they get out only to crash in to a tree! This doomed road trip is made even more hilarious by the colored pencil illustrations. The facial on the sheep are priceless! The sing-songy words make it easy for young kids to follow and they will soon know the book by ...more
Richard Chen
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Sheep in a Jeep" is really a deep. A fleet of irresponsible sheeps were riding together in a jeep (with more sheeps than seats), and as the jeep went down a very steep hill, they crashed into a swamp that was fifteen feet deep. No sheep was hurt, but too much of the swamp had seeped into the jeep. The sheeps weeped tearfully. With no choice left, they sweep the usable parts into a heap, and sold their broken jeep for cheap.

The moral of the story is to not fall asleep at the wheel.

As you sow, so
D'Etta
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The rhyming words in this book tickle your ears! You can almost "sing" the story. It's simple, yet jam packed with hilarity! It would be great for introducing problem-solving and growth mindset skills to young people. There are times we need to ask for help. There are times we need to "wave the white flag" and move on . . . The connection to focus and concentration skills with young readers is right on target. The consistent effort of being alert is supported with the reminder we can't "take our ...more
Pamela Hatch
Sheep in a Jeep / written by Nancy Shaw ; illustrated by Margot Apple -- Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company, c1986. (32 pages)

SUMMARY: Records the misadventures of a group of sheep that go riding in a jeep.

REVIEW: These sheep sure aren't smart as one mishap leads to another and another mishap. The rhyming is short, keeps the story moving, and is not the same old same old words used in children's books.

NOTE: I remember when this title first came out and I feel instantly in love with it. #1) I had a
Alyssa
Jun 13, 2017 added it
Shelves: lang-lit
Sheep in a Jeep is a picture book about sheep driving through the country. This story is great for assisting in articulation because you can elicit many target sounds for the child. The rhyming nature of this story benefits the child and can improve memorization skills and increase phonological awareness. One could use it for story retell, where the clinician first reads the story, and then the child is asked to retell it to the best of their memory. The story can be used for consequences as the ...more
Jackie Sisley
Sheep in a Jeep is a book about 5 sheep in a jeep, the troubles they come across, and do about them. It is a cute story with one sentence of text on each page and cute pictures that is likely to captivate most children. There is a rhyme in the sentence on every page that makes the story even more engaging. There are social-emotional aspects in working together and helping others. There are cognitive aspects in problem-solving. There are even science aspects in the use of gravity and inertia. The ...more
Onnalee Lach
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
A group of sheep climb into a jeep and have a good time. That is, until they get stuck in mud and eventually crash into a tree. The colorful, cute illustrations in this book make for a toddler friendly experience.

I gave this book four stars because it has a good plot with rhymes weaved in the whole way. While reading this with kids, they'll start to pick up on the rhymes and can even read along. This makes it helpful as a spring board for discussion on rhymes. I also like this book because it i
Mariah Wright
Sheep in a Jeep is a developmentally age appropriate book that I enjoyed reading. While reading the story it leaves you guessing and wondering what happens next. The sheep being a jeep is not realistic but that is one aspect that makes it fun to read. The sheep going "beep beep" in the jeep becuase that is what car horns do. Gives it an onomatopoeia. This story uses rhyme, onomatopoeias, uses colorful pictures and expressive and hilarious illustrations.
Kaitlyn
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
When it comes to personal favorites, this one surprisingly doesn't make the top ten. It's a great book don't get me wrong, and shouldn't be over looked, but I have other rhyming books that I like way better. That said, it's a hilarious book. Children love it because of how absurd it is, with the sheep trying to drive a jeep. It has great simple rhymes and moves quickly to keep the attention of a young audience.
Sohyun seo
This book's pictures are very cute, so children like it. They liked their jeep but they didn't use it preciously. I think this book shows people have to use their own things preciously. And also at last the jeep was on sale-cheap. This part they didn't realize their faults and just threw out the thing they liked so I think it want to show they have to try to fix them and don't think things are not to treat badly.
Michele
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up because my oldest son is about to be a father and it was one of his favorites. I haven't read it years. It brought back so many happy memories.

It is a rhyming book about sheep who find a jeep and decide to ride around in it. It is silly and a great deal of fun for young children. Because of the rhyming, children are able to "help" with the reading of the story.
Cassie Hayes
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sheep in a Jeep was a funny story. I loved how the sheep helped each other get through their problems together. I felt the ending was a hoot, as well, because not every book should have that "special" and "Happy" ending. however, this children's book could teach a great lesson on helping and being kind.
  • Jamberry