Start by marking “Seraphs (Rogue Mage, #2)” as Want to Read:
Seraphs (Rogue Mage, #2)

Seraphs (Rogue Mage #2)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  3,213 Ratings  ·  117 Reviews
Living among humans in a post-apocalyptic ice age, neomage Thorn St. Croix is a source of both fear and fascination for the people of Mineral City, and now she faces her ultimate test.

Deep under the snow-covered mountains beyond the village, an imprisoned fallen seraph desperately needs her help. There, hidden in the hellhole, the armies of Darkness assemble to ensure this
Published (first published May 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Seraphs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seraphs

Kathy Davie
Second in the Rogue Mage apocalyptic, alternative history, science fiction series and revolving around Thorn St. Croix, a battle mage in hiding in Mineral City, Carolina.
"…no display of my scars to remind them of the battle I had fought … kept them safe … nothing like demonstrating that people were beholden to you to make them hate you."
My Take
I know…it's a busy story, lol, and totally fantastic. Enough so that I've already bought the series…and hope Hunter will continue!!

We see from Thorn's per
CJ - It's only a Paper Moon
Really not sure what I think about this series nevermind this book. There was more action of both the angelic and the sexual kind but i still feel like a lot of this book was filler and could've been fleshed out a lot more.

The premise of this book is very interesting and has soo much potential. What if the world didn't end like it had been predicted for several millenia and people and culture still existed but in such a modified form that while it's similar to ours it's extremely different? Curs
Ravyn
Oct 27, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z-uf-pnr
Huh.

Honestly, I just don't even know what to say here. For starters, I'm not sure how to even classify the Rogue Mage series. Post-apocalyptic fantasy/mythology? Dunno. Actually, now that I think about it, that's sort of been a theme for me as I've been reading the first two novels of the series. What's going on? Dunno. What's up with the thwarted, useless mage-heat all the time? Dunno. What's the deal with the Amethyst lady's freakin' wheels? Dunno. What are the freakin' wheels? Dunno. And so o
Fangs for the Fantasy
Thorn is backed by some very close friends, a fiercely loyal family. But as a newly revealed Neo-Mage in an aggressively hostile small town she’s on thin ice. Even when her powers may be the very thing keeping them safe from the monsters underground

But are those powers also responsible for drawing them?

She had sworn she wouldn’t return to face the darkness under the mountain… but it’s waiting and gathering its forces and it certainly hasn’t forgotten Thorn

This huge, complicated world contains
Kt
Jul 26, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After the events of Bloodring, Thorn can no longer hide who she is. She has a few very loyal allies, but as for the rest of the town most are wary of, if not outright against her. Most fear her, and a few would love nothing more than to prosecute and execute her. Although their fears are mostly based on prejudice, some of them are warranted. The dark forces on the Trine are drawn to Thorn as they want Thorn and her powers, bringing the fight to the town. In the end, to save the ones she loves sh ...more
Topher
Nov 24, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: maybe people who like urban fantasy, maybe
Shelves: modernfantasy
2nd book in the series.

Why is it that if your female character is female, they accumulate massive amounts of power rapidly, and have to have an interesting love life? Am I just missing this for the few cases where the lead character is a male (ie, Harry Dresden)? The concept is still interesting - the big A Apocalypse has come, most of humanity died, Good (big G) fought Evil (big E), and it ended in....not quite a draw, but not really a victory either. And then there are the unforseen - children
Rachel Maloney
Jul 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
I can't give it one star, because I didn't hate it and I still somehow read the next one, but many many times I wanted to throw this book against a wall. It was extraordinarily frustrating and confusing, and the writing, like it was throughout the trilogy, was messy and convoluted.
Debrac2014
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly, I enjoyed it! I found Bloodring confusing but Seraphs answered many of my questions! It's still a dark world, a dark story but the battle scenes made up for it! Now to find out what an omega mage is!
Donna
Feb 26, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I find this series a bit difficult to follow sometimes.
Anniken Haga
It's fun to see how the author has grown between the first book in this series and this book.

I felt the characters were more alive in this book than in book one. I could actually relate to them a little here.
The writing was also better. It seemed to have gotten a flow I missed in book one.
The thing that really did it, though, was the story. While I felt the story in book one was OK, but a bit mixed with info the author really wanted to share, this one didn't have that problem.
I think I only
Aurian Booklover
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The previous book exposed Thorn as a neomage to her own townspeople, someone to be feared and to blame for everything bad. Some want to see her dead and others stand up for her. Religion is important after the apocalypse, when Seraphs showed up and killed most of humanity with plagues and other punishments for their sins. But the Most Holy, The Host, has not yet shown himself, leaving the religious leaders in turmoil. A few new religions have developed, some very strict ones, and they want to ba ...more
Schuyler Greene
The story progresses nicely here.

Besides that, my opinion of the book is pretty consistent with my review of the first book. The story drags with belabored details of here mage and artisan practices eg. she walks us threw jewelry making and her musings about how her spell is(n't) going. The trilogy does keep you going though, with it's cool premise and questions asked and answered.

Already on the next one.

Spoilers, if you want to know what happens...
(view spoiler)
Amanda Croley
Not really sure how I feel about this series. I like Thorn and LoLo seems to be becoming more important in her role. After the battle on the trine, Thorn is revealed as a neomage. Despite the fact that she has lived in Mineral City for 10 years a lot of people aren't happy with having her as a neighbor now. All of her friends, and several unexpected people show up to support her when the town elders try to bring phony charges against her. Her ex husband is a loser, and I wish she could give Thad ...more
Pauline
Dec 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nklsweets
Recommended to Pauline by: erin pate
Shelves: fiction
Second read through for me and I'm enjoying it as much this time as the first time I read it.

This trilogy is ideal for readers who enjoy a strong, independent heroine with enough sensitivity and vulnerability to keep her fans from wanting to slap her silly for arrogant stupidity. I like that mix, it keeps the character real. Begin with Bloodring, the first book that explains what mages are, as well as what else is running around the planet with them.
Jessica
Nov 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
3.5 stars. Actually liked this less on the second read, but that may be because this time I read it immediately after book 1 and it's just not as tight in comparison.
Jenn Matthews
Same as the first, I like the world and the characters, but the story line moves so slowly it's hard to stay interested.
Barbara Eichler-Cline
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Interesting premise

The mix of biblical and fantasy made this book for me. Also heroine that kicks butt. Fascinating. Ill be reading the next book.
Lori
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I actually liked this series even better than the Jane Yellowrock one.
Shellie Jo Blades
Dec 11, 2017 rated it liked it
I never really know what is going on. After two books I still don't understand the societal structure. The relationships between the different species is confusing and ambiguous. That said, I have still enjoyed the parts of the story I can follow, I'm just a little disappointed in the world development.
Jo Good
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Faith Hunter is amazing!!

Faith Hunter is always a great choice, and this series is one of my favorites! From the first, you know this isn't just an ordinary post apocalyptic type book. Hunter blends a Biblical perspective in with amazing imagination, giving the reader an amazing ride!
Juliet
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-books
We're getting more answers and explanations but so much doesn't add up. I am not sure if that is the point since I just found out that the author is planning on making this world into an RPG Tabletop Game...but still. Very unsatisfying for the reader. Going to finish the series and hope there is some feeling of resolution.
Karol
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A bit tedious & slow paced. Allot of information & descriptions, that are constantly being repeated. Plus it was ridiculous how the MC powers grow unexpectedly at very convenient times, when she doesn't know why or how. Again heavy on biblical quotes & references, but little romance unfortunately. Also I got tired of all the "woe is me" martyrdom of the female MC.
Jessica
Apr 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: e
I found this book relatively interesting but not even close to riveting. There were many parts that were so oddly described and jumpy I found myself reading them again thinking I had missed something or they were a dream sequence. I am not entirely sold on reading the next book.
Theresa
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How come there are no female warriors helping Thorn? She has all these macho guts helping her but there should be a few female warriors around to join the fight.

Fave scenes: the purple cobra, the spring trap, the Flames and the roof snow.
Megan Anderson
Actual rating: 3.5
Lois Alston
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting

Loved this second installment. Want to know what is going to happen with the bronze and Lolo. Will read the next book.
Marley Smith
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this second book
TinaMarie
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jaq
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thorn's next instalment was at times heavy going, but worthwhile. An intriguing character and I do love her champards - but wish they could have an entire series devoted to them!
Nicole
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Crap, crap, crap. If it could go wrong, it was going to go wrong. Murphy's law of the post apocalyptic storyline happening here, but still good reading.
  • Easy Pickings (Walker Papers, #7.6; Jane Yellowrock, #3.1)
  • Shadow City (Horngate Witches, #3)
  • Highborn (Dark Redemption, #1)
  • The Trouble with Demons (Raine Benares #3)
  • Dead Man Rising (Dante Valentine, #2)
  • A Trace of Moonlight (Abby Sinclair, #3)
  • Wolf Who Rules (Elfhome, #2)
  • Cast in Fury (Chronicles of Elantra #4)
  • Magic at the Gate (Allie Beckstrom, #5)
  • Buying Trouble (Dorina Basarab, #0.5)
  • Black Lament (Black Wings, #4)
  • Dead Reign (Marla Mason, #3)
Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock series is a dark urban fantasy. Jane is a full blooded Cherokee skinwalker and hunter of rogue-vampires in a world of weres, witches, vampires, and other supernats.

Her Rogue Mage novels—Bloodring, Seraphs, Host, and the RPG Rogue Mage—feature Thorn St. Croix, a stone mage in a post-apocalyptic alternate reality.

The Soulwood series is a new dark-urban fantasy / parano
More about Faith Hunter

Rogue Mage (3 books)
  • Bloodring (Rogue Mage, #1)
  • Host (Rogue Mage, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Paradise Lost (The Vampire Diaries; Evensong, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
  • A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Oz Reimagined: New Tales from the Emerald City and Beyond
  • The Song of Achilles
    $11.74 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Black Tuesday (Time Patrol)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
  • Warrior's Revenge
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Pale Queen Rising (Pale Queen, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • The Elven
  • Children of the New World
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Hunt (Disrupted Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Quantum Thief (The Jean le Flambeur Series, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Starship Grifters (Rex Nihilo #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Fire (Frontlines, #5)
  • The Country of Ice Cream Star
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Cottingley Secret
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Blood Gamble (Disrupted Magic, #2)
  • The Curiosity
  • Virtual Light
    $7.99 $1.99
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Busted Flush (Wild Cards, #19)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Midnight Curse (Disrupted Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fireblood (Whispers from Mirrowen, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Delphi Effect (The Delphi Trilogy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Infected (Infected, #1)
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Swords Against Death (Lankhmar, 2)
  • The Fifth Doll
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Knight Awakened (Circle of Seven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • This is Your Destiny (Curse Keepers Secret #3; Curse Keepers #3.5)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Sinless (Eye of the Beholder #1)
    $9.99 $3.99