Start by marking “The Memorist (Reincarnationist, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Memorist (Reincarnationist, #2)

The Memorist (Reincarnationist #2)

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  1,470 Ratings  ·  217 Reviews
As a child, Meer Logan was haunted by memories of another time and place, always accompanied by the faint strains of elusive music. Now the past has reached out again in the form of a strange letter that sets her on a journey to Vienna to unlock the mystery of who she once was. With each step, she comes closer to remembering connections between a clandestine reincarnationi ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Memorist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Memorist

Melodie
This is the the Reincarnationist series. While it picks up the main character of Malachi Samuels in his quest for proof of reincarnation, there is a new group of characters who struggle with their own beliefs.
This time the proof sought is an ancient flute and music,supposedly hidden away by Ludwig van Beethovan.Just like the first story, the reader is treated to multiple plot lines,locations and time periods. All does come together eventually but this one was harder for me to follow and maint
Angela
Dec 11, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found by chance at the library. About reincarnationists. At the end I'm not at all convinced of the viability of reincarnation. But an interesting story. BEGGING for a good editor. Oh my, the awful sentences I could have fixed!
Barbara ★
An enjoyable thriller which could have been more enjoyable without the whole terrorist angle. A rather predictable ending - at least from the terrorist angle. I enjoyed it but didn't love it.
Jessica
Jan 20, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-copy
I received this book for free from the publisher. All content and opinions are my own.

The Memorist is the second in a thriller series by M.J. Rose.

Meer Logan has always been haunted by the memories of someone else and the ellusive music that accompanies the memories. She has devoted her life to the study of false memories and to the study of music, hoping to rid herself of the dreads caused by these episodes.

Her father, Jeremy Logan, on the other hand, has devoted his life to the study of Jewish
Sheri
Nov 18, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Memorist (M.J. Rose)
A lot of characters and it jumped around a bit. Somewhat hard to follow, but an interesting plot. I Feel I should read the first book in the series (The Reincarnation), possibly helping me to enjoy this more. Meer is the main character and she has flashbacks/visions/hallucinations. It is believed that she is experiencing past lives. The story gets complex when a mystical flute from long ago is found, then stolen. There is also a possible connection to Beethoven and his mu
Jill
May 03, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
For me this was a forgettable national treasure type book. It was ok while reading..I had some issues with errors in the book (huge pet peeve of mine when characters names are wrong), but I could read this at the beach or on a trip and be fine. Just not one I will remember. Predictable..not really any twists if the author was trying to make some, so just became boring and a little long for what it is.
Michele
The Memorist is author M.J. Rose’s follow-up novel to The Reincarnationist and she has again taken themes of reincarnation, this time weaving 19th century Vienna and the musical world of Ludwig van Beethoven with modern-day terrorist plots. A fast paced historical thriller, The Memorist takes the best elements of The Reincarnationist and improves upon them.

Although there is one carry-over character present, The Memorist is most assuredly a stand-alone novel.

One of the pleasures of reading an M.J
Georgiann Hennelly
It was somewhat hard to follow a lot of characters.maybe if i had read Reincarnation the first book in the series i would have enjoyed this book more. Meer Logan is the main character she has always been haunted by someone else,s memories and the elusive music that comes with the memories. She has devoted her life to studying music and false memories in the hope she can rid herself of the dread caused by these episodes. If you believe in reincarnation than this is a good book to read.
Michelle
Dec 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Reminiscent of Dan Brown but with MUCH better writing and more interesting characters. I didn't realize this was a sequel to Reincarnationist but I don't think not having read that took away from this in any way (and it only made me want to read the first!) The book is suspenseful and smart and just overall an enjoyable, fast read despite being on the longer side. This isn't my normal fare, but I'll definitely pick up the first and many more from MJ Rose.
Meredith
Feb 26, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh dear, and here's another one I had to quit on. I bought the Kindle version, which I tend to read late at night in bed, and way too much back-and-forthing was required for me to grock all the players, places, and times. I couldn't just settle in and take up the storyline.
Vickie
This is more 3.5***. I enjoyed it but there are lots of characters and plot jumping. It was hard for me do follow since I was listening to an audio version. I love the historical fiction of M.J. Rose, but this one didn't do as much for me as a few of her other books.
Lisa
Oct 31, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, misc-fiction
It took me about 100 pages to really get into it, but I think overall it was a better story than the first book.
Tapley
Feb 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
I enjoyed this. In retrospect, the way the story turns out is a tad predictible, but it kept me on the edge of its seat, and I liked the unusual elements of the plot (i.e. the reincarnation aspects)
Amanda
Nov 06, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I can't even finish this book its gotten so ridiculous! And I give up on maybe one book a year.
Jan
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a story of a lady who has been reincarnated. However, she is rather annoying, as the subject of the story, Meer Logan does not believe in prior lives, and yet she was experiencing constant regressions. So I was not sympathetic with Meer Logan.

Meer Logan has odd dreams, about another time, another past. Her family and friends have tried to help her, but she fights them all the way.

There is some connection with Beethoven and a flute, she is pulled back to a time gone by, a secret society
D.B. Wright
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The inside cover ratings describe this book as similar to DaVinci Code by Dan Brown - and it does have the same feel. It is fast paced, taking place in just over a week and spanning several countries.
There are a lot of subplots that provide numerous perspectives to add to the interest as well. Love the topic matter - do we reincarnate and if so, can we remember parts of previous lives. Interesting, entertaining read.
Chrissy
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is right up my alley. Although it's the second in the series this absolutely stands alone. Meer has been haunted by ancient memories not her own and her father and doctor believe she is reincarnated.
Shellie (Layers of Thought)
This is a series review. Original post at Layers of Thought.

A page turning paranormal thriller series with historical fiction and an ancient religious belief system embedded in the stories.

Mini Synopsizes ~ The Reincarnationist: Some precious stones with paranormal properties have been stolen from a newly discovered pre-Christian archeological site in Rome, dating around 400 AD. The stones purportedly can help one to remember past lives.

The story is primarily set in the present but moves back in
Barbara Martin
Jul 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Memorist is suspense fiction with romance and science fiction elements. The story continues with the reincarnation aspect of past life memories, a secret society, and an ancient secret about a flute made from human bone linked to Ludwig Beethoven.

The Memorist takes place in present-day Vienna and New York City with interludes during the 1814 Congress of Vienna and the Indus Valley of 2120 B.C.E. Ms Rose did extensive research to provide the detailed descriptions and historical elements of th
Serena
Jan 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Memorist is the second in a series of books about reincarnation, lost memory tools, and the struggle of Meer Logan to find herself through her past. Her father struggled to help his daughter call her past-life memories to the surface, but Meer found her life bearable only when she avoided the triggers that called those memories to the surface.

M.J. Rose's narrative technique easily transports readers to Vienna, the home of Ludwig von Beethoven, and to Vienna in the past when Beethoven lived a
J.M. Cornwell
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this second book of M. J. Rose's Reincarnationist series Rose goes back to Europe for another memory tool. This time the tool is a flute made of bone that plays a tune to release the memories of past lives. Malachai has known about it for years through his treatment of Meer Logan who came to the Phoenix Institute as a child haunted by what Meer considers to be false memories of times long past.

The Memorist centers around Vienna and Ludwig von Beethoven who in the 19th century had the memory f

Bibliothekerin
This was the first book I've read by M.J. Rose. The fact that classical music is a central theme automatically interested me. The author also adds bits of music theory (e.g., the Circle of Fifths, which is pretty cool), and tantalizing questions about the physics of sound.

I love learning historical details along with a rousing story, like the fact that Vienna is a city obsessed with death and filled with ghosts. This book is a banquet of facts about Vienna, Beethoven, his friends, and his "Belo
Katka Chudá
Jennifer W
Another fun bit of brain candy. This sequel to The Reincarnationist follows a similar storyline- a memory tool is found and several people want to get their hands on it for their own reasons. The main character is the only one who can find it as they access their own past life experiences which leads them to what they seek; sometimes a little too conveniently. In this case, the main character is an adult woman named Meer. Her father believes she has experienced past life memories all her life re ...more
Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com
Jul 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
“The Memorist” by M.J. Rose is the second in fictional “The Reincarnationist” series. As in the first book, this one also deals with past lives and the mystery behind them.

Meers Logan is haunted by nightmares which seem vivid and real. She can smell, see and hear faint music which she can’t put her finger on. When an envelope addressed to the Phoenix Foundation, which is dedicated to recovery of past life memories, Meers recognize the box which she spent years imagining.

Meers is determained to u
Patricia
Nov 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Memorist is a story of many people. Meer Logan has been haunted from childhood by memories of a past life. This is the story of Meer and the women in her past. It is also the story of David Yalom, an Israeli journalist, who has lost his whole family to a terrible explosion. Jeremy Logan is Meer’s father and a firm believer in memories of past lives. Jeremy’s goal in life has been to bring Meer’s past to the present and release her from the haunting memories.

The story also includes Malachai S
Rebecca
Nov 29, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
M.J. Rose's The Memorist is the second in The Reincarnationist series, but don't be distraught if you haven't yet read The Reincarnationist. I didn't read it before starting The Memorist and I didn't feel lost at all. I don't know which characters were used in the first book because they were all so thoroughly fleshed out in The Memorist.

I don't want to give too much away about the plot because The Memorist is a mystery book, but I'll tell you a little about it so you can get an idea of whether
Liviu
Sep 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superior thriller about a young woman Meer Logan who has flashes of her past lives though she denies they are such despite her father Jeremy and her mentor Malachai's insistence - they are both famous members of the Memorist society dedicated to the idea of reincarnation and remembering past lives -

Meer founds herself connected to a magical flute that supposedly was discovered in India around 1810 by one of the founders of the society and given to Beethoven to decipher its mysterious music th
Michelle
The Memorist is the 2nd book in the Reincarnationist series. Meer has always had a recurring memory of a box and a strain of music. Despite her musical training, she has been unable to recreate the melody she hears. She has been seeing Malachai from the Phoenix Foundation and he draws her to Vienna when her father discovers the box in an auction catalog. Traveling to Vienna, they find a letter from Beethoven within the box that has clues in locating a memory tool, a flute that Beethoven believes ...more
  • Unladylike Pursuits
  • AlphaOops: H Is for Halloween
  • I'm Big!
  • Slightly Wicked / Slightly Scandalous (Bedwyn Saga #2-3)
  • The Wayward One (The de Montforte Brothers, #5)
  • Man Gave Names to All the Animals
  • The Duchess of Whimsy
  • A Most Unsuitable Earl (Marriage By Scandal, #2)
  • Rescue Bunnies
  • Brazen Angel (Brazen, #1)
  • Too Purpley!
  • Hibernation Station
  • The Very Best Pumpkin
  • Where Is Tippy Toes?
  • A Lady of Expectations and Other Stories
  • Nevermore -  Novel of Love, Loss, & Edgar Allan Poe
  • Dogs Don't Do Ballet
  • Paisley Hanover Kisses and Tells

New York Times Bestseller, M.J. Rose grew up in New York City mostly in the labyrinthine galleries of the Metropolitan Museum, the dark tunnels and lush gardens of Central Park and reading her mother's favorite books before she was allowed. She believes mystery and magic are all around us but we are too often too busy to notice... books that exaggerate mystery and magic draw attention to it and re
More about M.J. Rose

Reincarnationist (6 books)
  • The Reincarnationist (Reincarnationist, #1)
  • The Hypnotist (Reincarnationist, #3)
  • The Book of Lost Fragrances (Reincarnationist, #4)
  • Seduction (Reincarnationist, #5)
  • The Collector of Dying Breaths (Reincarnationist, #6)

Fiction Deals

$8.24 $1.99
  • The Shepherdess of Siena
  • The Man Who Could Be King
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wildflowers (Glenbrooke, #8)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • The Vagrants
  • The Perfect Son
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Winnowing Season (Amish Vines and Orchards, #2)
  • The Feathered Bone
  • Woman Last Seen in Her Thirties
  • A Reunion Of Ghosts
  • Crooked Little Lies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Our Own Country (The Midwife, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Valley of the Kings: The 18th Dynasty
  • London
  • The Swans of Fifth Avenue
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Shōgun (Asian Saga, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
“There are no accidents of fate. Every act has a reaction through lives, through time. Déjà vu and coincidence are God tapping you on the shoulder, telling you to pay attention, showing you that you are walking in the footprint of your own reincarnation.” 2 likes
“There's an answer to every question even if it's elusive. The Kabbalah tells us that there's a level of our souls where we all connect to all the world's accumulated knowledge. Jung agreed, just used different words and called it the collective unconscious. It manifests itself in an inner voice we all can hear if we listen deeply enough.” 2 likes