Start by marking “Tribal Leadership” as Want to Read:
Tribal Leadership

Tribal Leadership

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  6,323 Ratings  ·  304 Reviews

Tribal Leadership gives amazingly insightful perspective on how people interact and succeed. I learned about myself and learned lessons I will carry with me and reflect on for the rest of my life.”
—John W. Fanning, Founding Chairman and CEO napster Inc.

“An unusually nuanced view of high-performance cultures.”
 —Inc.

Within each corporation are anywhere from a few to hundred

Published (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Tribal Leadership, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tribal Leadership

Marcus
Jan 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would have never read this book had it not been for the free audio version I found through Zappos.com. I was't looking for yet another business book, much less a management book, but this one really surprised me and hit me hard. The book in a nutshell talks about 5 stages that organizations and the members of organizations go through:

1 - Life sucks.
2 - My life sucks (but maybe there's something better).
3 - I'm in it for me.
4 - We're in it as a group with a core set of values; there is a higher
Jennifer (aka EM)
Read for work. This is a low star-stage 3 (if anyone reads this, you'll find that hilarious, trust me). It was surprisingly tolerable given my intolerance for a) non-fiction; b) books written by MBAs; c)pseudo-scientific self-help manuals. It avoided for the most part a's tendency toward repetitiveness (although it was definitely filled with beating-a-dead-horse, jargony prose, and I think the copy-editor must have nodded off in the last third); b's insufferable superficiality and barely-below-t ...more
Jurgen Appelo
Nov 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
Important book with many great stories, but suffers from too much hyperbole and model-building.
Erika
Oct 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While I'm not a manager, nor do I foresee a career in becoming a "tribal leader coach" anytime soon, if you're a leader of any group of people, you may find this book useful. You'll find it especially useful if you already recognise the power of a tribe or have the need to leverage a groups' already existing talents.

I picked up this book because I teach middle school, a natural environment for tribes and cliques, and figured I might gain insight into how to manage their day-to-day. Instead, I ga
Chantie
Sep 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting take on social interaction and relationships. While the focus was more professional related, like does tend to self-select. The premise is there are five stages that people exist within, and they are as follows:

1. Life suck (this is the person that goes postal)
2. My life sucks (this is the person that sees everyone keeping them down)
3. I'm wonderful (I'm so wonderful - the ME culture)
4. We're great (cooperative for better of group)
5. Life is great (group works for the better of th
Jay
Jun 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book reminds me of Jim Collins book Good to Great in that both are presenting findings from lengthy research studies. While Collins book talked more about their underlying methodology, Tribal Leadership shows five cultural levels and describes the transition from one to the next. Briefly, the five statges are:

1. Life sucks
2. My life sucks
3. I'm great
4. We're great
5. Life is great

As tribes (groups of 20 to 150 people) improve culturally through the five levels, vallues change and a noble ca
Graham
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Graham by: Mike Cannon-Brookes, via Jost Stollmann
So, the story goes that our CEO, Jost Stollmann, asked Mike Cannon-Brookes, co-founder & co-CEO of Atlassian and one of Tyro’s board members, something along the lines of…
“If you had to recommend just one book to your leadership team, what would you choose?”

And Mike recommended: Tribal Leadership. I think I can see why.

What’s the book about?

The book is about the results of ten years of research by the authors and how they found that people in organisations form tribes; that each tribe has a
Jessyca505
⭐⭐⭐ 1/2 “[Don Beck] said, after hearing about the three stages of epiphany, "There's a word in the Bantu languages that [Archbishop Desmond] Tutu has used to help bring the entire country of South Africa together: ubuntu, meaning 'Today I share with you because tomorrow you share with me.'" The word can also be translated "I am because we are.” ~ David Logan

I want to be part of a tribe! At stage four! I want to be inspired so that I can inspire!
David Logan visits many avenues that I have read in
Erika RS
I want to give this book 5 stars on content and 2 stars on presentation. Every time I worked on reading this book, I got something valuable out of it. Oftentimes, something I could apply that very day. But the whole time I read it, I was vaguely bored.

I think that this is because, while the content is valuable, the book itself is quite repetitive. I feel it could have been half the length (or even less) and contained all of the same content. And a good fraction of that reduction could have come
Katie
This book, ironically, was required reading for a place I formally worked which I would classify as strongly "stage 2" or "stage 3."

I really enjoyed not only the material of this book, which seemed very well researched and applicable, but also the format. I thought there were perhaps a few too many examples, but in-general what information it had was what it needed. I don't really know how to summarize the book, but I would definitely recommend it for anyone who is a leader in an organization, o
Maria
May 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
в общем, всё было довольно четко, пока они описывали первые три (отстойные) уровня развития групп, но только дошли до четвертого, как их повело. полились какие-то истории, в которых было так много слов, что терялась суть. ну то есть, интересно читать историю, в которой стив джобс о чем-то договорился с возняком, но историю про билла и джона из компании "рога и копыта", про которую в жизни не слышал - нет, не интересно, сорян

вот поэтому и не больше звезд

однако, сама теория в мою систему ценностей
Wiet Vande Velde
Tribal leadership explains about an interesting phenomenon: the Level of thinking people are living in. As a leader, you want to understand the principles explained in this book. It will help you to understand why people say certain things. For me, an interesting read and a valuable lesson learned.
Qasim Zeeshan
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome, well researched and “based on real stories” book with tips to formulate teams to achieve a goal that’s beneficial for everyone. Highly recommended in the start of a career.
Nitinkumar Gove
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really nice book. The key concepts in this book along with the learnings from principles by Ray dalio and the hard things about the hard things can really do magic for a CEO.
Ali Sohani
Jan 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
An excellent book on a leadership, draws heavily from a research, the 5 stages for cultural transformation:

Stage 1 - "Life Sucks" - pathological, gang-like, angry.
Stage 2 - "My Life Sucks" - a mix of learned helplessness, bitterness.
Stage 3 - "I'm Great" (and you're not) - Productive and dynamic but egocentric.
Stage 4 - "We're Great" (and they're not) - tribe-oriented, creative, productive, tight.
Stage 5 - "Life Is Great" - Big-picture, tribe-connecting.

"Change the language in the tribe, and you
John Norman
Read this if you have great performers in your company who think they're great, but also secrretly think others are not great . . . Such a company needs to evolve to understand how everyone in the "tribe" can say: "We're great."

The basic message here is compelling, but it is so involved in dubious philosophical / psychological claims about human development, I just can't give the book a very high rating.

Like a lot of self-help books, the rhetorical strategy starts from the assumption that you ar
John Michl
Nov 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished the audio book. Well worth the free download from Zappos.com! The book is not quite 5.5 hours and if you can't get the free version, worth the purchase price. I plan to buy the hard copy as reference. Played on high speed on my iPod, I was able to finish it in one week's daily commute.

The book leads the reader through five stages of tribal leadership with solid examples of each level for both individuals and organizations. Of special interest to me was the description of word choi
Daniela
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Logan states that there are 5 stages when comes to tribes and how people define themselves and their contribution to life:
1. Life / everyone sucks
2. My life sucks
3. I'm great, and you're not and I have the means to prove it to you
4. We're great
5. Everything is great - our goal is global.

What captures the attention the most is the epiphany of an authentic tribal leader, which is the central theme of this book is that you are only as smart and capable as your tribe, and that by upgrading your tri
Dionysis Doul
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An eye-opening book about what are the different stages in company cultures, and what could make them succeed really big things. The majority of them operate in a "stage three" culture, where everyone operates for themselves, with a "i'm great (but you're not)" mentality. Whereas, a "stage four" tribe operates with a "we're great" mentality, but the ultimate goal is a "stage five" tribe, where the mentality is "life is great".
I believe that the principles of the book apply to life in general.
To
Angelique
Oct 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liked this book. Unlike a lot of leadership books that tell you what a good leader "looks like", this book tells you how to grow them. It does a great job of explaining the development cycle a person must go through to get to "Stage 4" which is considered a "Tribal Leader". The emphasis placed on relationships was powerful as well.

It got 4 stars instead of 5 stars because at times it was confusing as to whether the authors meant to be referencing the leader or the "tribe" when they were t
Quinn
Sep 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think the more I read the less each book makes an impact on my life. This is one of those books that if I had just started reading business books it probably would have got a 5 out of 5 and had me getting extra copies for each bathroom. I felt like what was suppose to be a broad expanse of interviews and careful peering behind different corporate curtains by the authors ended up being a recount of handful of experiences that fit their mold. Although it was a quick read I found it a little long ...more
Hope Harris-Gayles
I'm listened to this as audiobook (free download from Zappos.com), and I really enjoyed it. As a budding leader, the book brought some behaviors to my attention that I will need to work on and improve so I can reach my full potential. I'm easily bored with audiobooks (mind wandering, etc) so its a true testament to Tribal Leadership that those didn't happen (or at least happened minimally). Recommended for leaders and leaders to be.
Ryan
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't usually read books about organizational or "work culture" but this was a book I needed to read now. It was part manual, part autobiography. The book explains the different types of workers; and illuminates how their attitudes are critical ( or detrimental) to workplace culture. It is an important book for anybody working in a team of people to understand how the group attitude effects the outcome of the product or service.
Uttam Kini
Oct 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: management-gyan
A great book that changes the way you look at teams and people. Whenever I see people now, I go, there's a typical stage 3 trying to sell himself, this guy is a stage 4 leader putting the team before himself. It will keep you interested till the very end.
Dan Graham
Jan 03, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
There are some good parts to this book but overall it makes a bunch of claims that seem a bit made up to me. It puts business folks into 5 categories of development and asserts that certain traits are better than others without any data to back it up.
Alex Stevenson
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book about building a community that's inspired, positive and has a vision far beyond the individual's ego driven selfish desires. This is the book to read if you intend to build something that will change the world.
Jan
Nov 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. I definetly need to reread or rehear it to come up with a meaningful review...
Ricardo Vitorino
I enjoyed very much reading this book and I recommend it to anyone who is looking for ways to "upgrade" the culture of any team, group, association, family, etc. If you would like to read this book, please approach me, I would be eager to share it and further discuss our learnings from it. I found it very simple to understand because it is written in a way that everyone should be able to use it.

I would like to share some of the quotes that "aha!'ed" me the most.

"The goal is to hang with friends
Mostaque Ahammed
What Is a Tribe?
• A tribe is any group of about 20 to 150 people who know one another enough that, if they saw another walking down the street, would stop and say “hello.”
• They are likely people in your cell phone and in your Outlook address book.
• A small company is a tribe, and a large company is a tribe of tribes.
• What makes some tribes more effective than others is culture. Each time people speak, their words exhibit the characteristics of one of five tribal stages. Stage Five outperforms
Jonathan Lin
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Summary: I asked my Dad for books to read to increase my effectiveness in working with a team, and indeed Tribal Leadership did not disappoint. This book focuses on the social phenomenon of ‘tribal stages’, in which the company culture and ultimately, the effect limit of effectiveness and employee satisfaction/engagement, is restricted by the language used and relationships formed by the tribe.

The key stages relevant to the workplace are:
- Stage 2: apathetic victims that have no control over th
  • Peak: How Great Companies Get Their Mojo from Maslow
  • The Three Laws of Performance: Rewriting the Future of Your Organization and Your Life
  • The Ultimate Question 2.0 (Revised and Expanded Edition): How Net Promoter Companies Thrive in a Customer-Driven World
  • What Matters Now: How to Win in a World of Relentless Change, Ferocious Competition, and Unstoppable Innovation
  • Fearless Change: Patterns for Introducing New Ideas
  • Maverick: The Success Story Behind the World's Most Unusual Workplace
  • The Leader's Guide to Radical Management: Reinventing the Workplace for the 21st Century
  • Competing Against Time
  • The Progress Principle: Using Small Wins to Ignite Joy, Engagement, and Creativity at Work
  • The Contrarian's Guide to Leadership
  • Zappos Experience
  • The Connected Company
  • The Way We're Working Isn't Working: The Four Forgotten Needs That Energize Great Performance
  • Theory U: Leading from the Future as it Emerges
  • Leadership Is an Art
  • The Heart of Change: Real-Life Stories of How People Change Their Organizations
  • The Leadership Challenge
  • Focus: Use Different Ways of Seeing the World for Success and Influence
“Change the language in the tribe, and you have changed the tribe itself.” 7 likes
“Without the leaders building the tribe, a culture of mediocrity will prevail. Without an inspired tribe, leaders are impotent.” 3 likes