Start by marking “Between Pacific Tides” as Want to Read:
Between Pacific Tides

Between Pacific Tides

One of the classic works of marine biology, a favorite for generations, has now been completely revised and expanded. Between Pacific Tides is a book for all who find the shore a place of excitement, wonder, and beauty, and an unsurpassed introductory text for both students and professionals.

This book describes the habits and habitats of the animals that live in one of the
Paperback, Fifth Edition, 652 pages
Published January 1st 1992 by Stanford University Press (first published September 1st 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Between Pacific Tides, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Between Pacific Tides

Start your review of Between Pacific Tides
Ken-ichi
Jun 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
You know how finishing a great novel leaves a gaping void in your life? Well, having just finished Between Pacific Tides, a nigh-encyclopedic account of the intertidal invertebrates found on the California coast, I feel just the opposite. This book is not a story that ends, but an introduction to a world of endless fascination, suffusing the reader (well, this reader) with the wonder and curiosity of its authors, particularly of the legendary Ed Ricketts, original and primary author of the book, ...more
David
Nov 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the book that started my life. Given to me by a white haired college professor when i was 14 years old. It led me to understand and enjoy relationships. It fascinated me because to go any further would have been to run out of air. This is the story of the the edge of the sea, the last place where we can use our human abilities before we must turn into something else.
Hilary
Dec 01, 2008 marked it as to-read
to be read concurrently with "Log from the Sea of Cortez" and "Cannery Row," ideally on a vacation to Baja
erik d aker
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I can't speak for the newest edition because all of Ricketts may have been whitewashed out of it by this point, but the book in previous iterations has been one of the necessaries for my household's understanding of California tidepools and marine ecology. It's also fun to read: a real masterwork, an original contribution.
Mowena Glunch
Dec 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Ed Ricketts is Doc in Steinbeck's Cannery Row stories. This is a book I periodically re-read: combined interests in Steinbeck, Monterey, Gulf of California, marine biology, boats, Stanford, doing things differently
Tamhack
Jul 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
What a great book to have especially if you do any working along the beaches of the Alaska shores! Great pictures!
Can't wait to hit the beach again!
Marina
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Many of the scientific names have changed since this classic was written. I was glad to have my beachcombers field guides to reference while I read.
Frances Sawaya
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A tattered reference book that has been with me for decades. An absolute must-have for anyone who lives in the western USA and wants a better knowledge of marine life. Though we now live in Ireland, I brought this book with simply for the sake of nostalgia. Then last year I had the correct colors and fabrics I needed in my collection to make a quilt that spoke to my ancestors who opened up the Pacific Northwest and I wanted to have the theme be "between Pacific tides." Trolling through the book ...more
Scott Cox
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is has been a standard marine biology textbook for decades, covering both coast, bays, estuary, as well as the intertidal zones. One of the authors, Edward Ricketts, was a close friend of John Steinbeck and is the famous "Doc" of Cannery Row.
Nathan Waldren
Oct 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who has ever been to the beach
Ricketts was the prototype for the character "Doc" in Steinbeck's Cannery Row and Sweet Thursday, and you can feel a lot of the fellow in his writing. Clearly this was a scientist who meant business, and pursued his work passionately. Very readable, very usable.
wendy
Nov 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is the most thorough book on North American Pacific Coast flora AND fauna. This is highly informational, but not really an entertaining read, unless you happen to be a marine biologist.
Jessica
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I have an edition with Steinbeck's introduction. I have not seen the newest edition, but I can still use visual references to the PNW coasts photographed and described. Excellent resource.
Sylvia Seymour
Jan 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
1968 edition
Safae
Nov 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: science, re-read

يعتبر كتاب “بين المد والجزر في المحيط الهادي“، دليل إرشادي عن اللافقاريات البحرية لشواطئ المحيط الهادي في أمريكا الشمالية، ويضم صورا بالأبيض والأسود، فهو ديلي ميداني متخصص فريدا من نوعه ومثير للاهتمام. وقد يبدو الكتاب كعمل ممل وتقليدي نوعا ما، إلا أن الكاتب ريكتيس، صاحب الشخصية الحيوية والمتعطشة، والتي أسرت كيان جون شتاينيك. وحتى اليوم، فكل عالم أحياء بحرية يعتمد على هذا الكتاب في أبحاثه.

الصيت الذي حققه كتاب بين المد والجزر في المحيط الهادئ كان سبب
Feb 08, 2013
Charles
Mar 06, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »

• Coral Reef Animals of the Indo-Pacific: Animal Life from Africa to Hawaii Exclusive of the Vertebrates
  • The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #3)
  • The Horse and His Boy (Chronicles of Narnia, #5)
  • The Tao of Raven: An Alaska Native Memoir
  • Getting Stoned with Savages: A Trip Through the Islands of Fiji and Vanuatu
  • Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #2)
  • The Tree Where Man Was Born
  • Indo-Pacific Coral Reef Field Guide
  • All That the Rain Promises and More: A Hip Pocket Guide to Western Mushrooms
  • From Conception to Birth: A Life Unfolds
  • What Is Sex?
  • Larval Forms, and Other Zoological Verses
  • The National Lampoon Treasury of Humor
  • Kevin Belton’s Big Flavors of New Orleans
  • The 9/11 Commission Report: Final Report of the National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States
  • Everything We Have: D-Day 6.6.'44
  • Kevin Belton's New Orleans Kitchen
  • The Beat Generation in San Francisco: A Literary Tour

News & Interviews

“A hydroid colony no bigger than can be contained in one's cupped hands may be almost a whole universe in itself - a complete unit of life, with possibly dozens of units in one tide pool.” 0 likes