Start by marking “Running Wild (The Men from Battle Ridge, #1)” as Want to Read:
Running Wild (The Men from Battle Ridge, #1)

Running Wild (The Men from Battle Ridge #1)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  3,864 Ratings  ·  374 Reviews
In book 1 of this steamy new contemporary Western romance series by two blockbuster authors, a cowboy and a woman on the run take a stand and fight for love.

Carlin Reed lives in fear, off the grid, moving from place to place. So Battle Ridge, Wyoming, a small town in the middle of nowhere, seems like a good place to lie low for a while. But after becoming cook and housek
Audio CD, Unabridged
Published November 27th 2012 by Random House Audio (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Running Wild, please sign up.
Carrie According to the authors' Facebook page the publisher didn't want a sequel. Obviously they never read the reviews on GR. …moreAccording to the authors' Facebook page the publisher didn't want a sequel. Obviously they never read the reviews on GR. https://www.facebook.com/LindaHowardL...(less)

Jill
Jun 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Carlin Reed is on the run from an obsessed stalker. She's tried reporting him to the authorities but without success. Afterall, who are they going to believe, her or her stalker, (view spoiler) Constantly on the move, she ends up in Battle Ridge, Wyoming. Taking a job as a waitress for a time, she's ready to move on again, when an offer comes as a cook and housekeeper on a nearby ranch.

Zeke Decker really doesn't need the distractions of a young, single, attractive woman on
Karla
Jun 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Linda Howard fans
Recommended to Karla by: Jill

4 Stars! Nice start to the series! Well done author collaboration!

I’ve never read anything by Linda Winstead Jones, so I can’t compare, but I was definitely getting the Linda Howard vibe in this book. Particularly with the snarky banter between H and h, where the attraction is undeniable, but they use sarcasm to keep each other at arm’s length. It was reminiscent her books, Mr. Perfect , Open Season and Heart of Fire, all of which I loved!

The prologue introduces us to the grumpy Zeke and then
Vintage
Audio

Skimming and DNF.

I usually like Linda Howard’s books more than this. Her heroines are pretty smart and operate in the real world, and while the heroes are pretty hunky and are a few links up the evolutionary chain from Diana Palmer heroes,they always do something unforgivable that gets forgiven because the sex is good.

This seemed a little too cliched for me.

Heroine
She’s in the run from a two date stalker and has learned how to stay under radar. She arrives in Podunk, WY and ends up as the H
Naksed
A surprisingly funny and satisfying modern cowboy romance with some suspense/action thrown in it. I normally can't stand Linda Howard but I loved this. It is co-written with someone named Linda Jones so I am not sure if it is maybe her contributions that I enjoyed the most.

First the humor. The writing in general, and especially the banter between the protags was priceless and I found myself laughing out loud quite a few times. The heroine is fighting her attraction to the hero by being purposef
Kathleen
3.75 stars, possibly 4. An enjoyable contemporary western romance, with some suspense. Quite a pleasant read, if a little disappointing. I loved the characters and the western setting, but there was not enough of that wonderful high-octane suspense I have grown to expect from Linda Howard. (I am not familiar with the co-author.)

This book also lacked Howard's famous sexy banter (see Mr. Perfect, for one example). It just didn't have ENOUGH of the earthy bold humor I love -- even though the heroin
♥Rachel♥
I do love me a sexy, protective cowboy, but Carlin was no slouch either. A girl who can fend for herself under dangerous circumstances and still manage to think rationally is the kind of heroine I can get behind!

The audio was really good. Maggie Wheeler sounded like a country girl with a little bit of sass and her male voices were done well, too. I upped the speed form 1.0x (normal speed) to 1.25x, just a little faster.
Lisa Kay
★★★★✩ The audio is wonderfully narrated by Maggie Wheeler, and she certainly kicks it up a notch. Nothing terrible new here, but done so much better than when attempted by other authors. Also, I did really like one thrilling scene (you'll know where you get there). Very enjoyable - and satisfying!
Jacqueline
This book was a good enough read but I don't think it's going to be a reread. I am fond of the woman on the run set up but somehow it wasn't all that interesting here. I think because her reaction seemed extreme for what had happened. Yes the other girl getting killed was bad but her running off the grid and always moving on would have made more sense if he was shown continually finding her. Because otherwise hunkering down on the ranch where there was little possibility that she would be found ...more
Tracey
Dec 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-copy
This is a gentle read, a very pleasant read at that - we have Carlin who is on the run from a nasty stalker, she is terrified and has all her guards up, she may be on guard but still has a smart mouth on her. She drives into a small town in Wyoming and takes a break in the local cafe/diner, luckily she lands on her feet and is offered some temporary work in the diner.

Zeke, the rough but handsome cowboy that owns a ranch and works hard running it, when his housekeeper ups and leaves he is forced
Emmy
Sep 22, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
**2.5**

Nothing particularly original. Some of the internal monologues/narrations got pretty repetitive after a while and I will never understand why female characters decide, if for example they have a stalker, that they have to do everything on their own and can't let others help them.
Tina "IRead2Escape"
Running Wild: The Men From Battleridge by Linda Howard and Linda Jones is a must read! I mean seriously read it now, well finish my review first and then go buy this book!

Carlin Reed lives in fear everyday, always on the run and always watching her back. 2 lousy dates and her life was forever changed. She's being stalked by a policeman, so of course no one believed her when she tried to report him. She's on the run, stopping at random places, working for cash only, making no friends and moving
Ian
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not entirely sure who wrote this book, the Kindle version I received from the publisher had the author as Linda Howard and Linda Jones. I have no idea what part they each played in this book, but whatever they did, it worked.

With a psychopathic stalker hunting her, Carlin is always ready to run. She works for cash, keeps her "run kit" ready at all times and avoids any attention. When she arrives in Battle Ridge, Wyoming she takes a job working as a housekeeper for a grumpy rancher. She does
D.B. Reynolds
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Linda Howard is one of my favorite authors,but I was unsure about reading Running Wild,because too often in joint titles like this, the bestselling author's name is on the cover, but she hasn't done any of the writing. Either that wasn't the case with this book, or Linda Jones is every bit as good as Linda Howard, because I. Loved. This. Book. Carlin Reed is tough and determined, on the run from a dangerous stalker/ex-boyfriend. She's vulnerable and scared, but keeps it all on the inside, and sh ...more
HÜLYA
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Çok keyifli bir kitap idi....Konusu belki biraz basit ama çok eğlenceli, aşk ve macera dolu güzel bir kasabada çiftlikte geçen bir hikaye idi.
Bir sapığın pençesinde kıvranan bir kadının yolu ülkenin en soğuk ve en tenha yerine düşmesi ile başlayan yolunun bir kovboy ile kesişmesi...
Anladığım kadarı ile bir seri umarım bu seriye devam ederler..Daha önce
Harlequin bir seride birlikte yazdıkları Linda Jones ile güzel bir hikaye ortaya çıkarmışlar...
Onlar ile birlikte yazan Beverley Bartonun öldüğün
Gamze
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
çok güzel bir kitaptı.
sadece yarı çıplak bir halde çiftlikte dolanıp kaslarını sergileyen değil harbi harbi bir kovboy karakteriydi Zeke :)
Carlin'in ise başına bela olan sapığı yüzünden önce kaçışlarını ardından kaçmaya son verip her adımda nasıl güç kazandığını okumakta ayrıca keyifliydi :)
Seri olarak duruyor hani ben devam eder miyim çıktığında pek sanmıyorum ama yine de tavsiye ederim.
Özellikle izban yolculuğuma sabahları ayrı bir renk kattı kitap sağolsun :)))
Ren
Mar 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Linda Howard's fans!
Recommended to Ren by: I still have faith to LH!
With thanks to Netgalley and Random House to provide the e-ARC

A.Z.Decker or Zeke doesn't need a new housekeeper after Libby, his previous housekeeper left. But he don't have a choice to hire Carlin Reed after his temporary housekeeper (who is man) got accident. Carlin is woman on the run. She had stalker, Brad, who is psycho cop that previously killed her friend because he mistake her for Carlin. Carlin then go to Battle Ridge, Wyoming and got work at Kat's place, The Pie Hole(Kat is Zeke's cous
Saly
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Saly by: Jill
Just to be clear, I am not sure this book will be everyone's cup of tea because the romance truly does take a lot of time to get going so we get to read about the heroine doing her chores, the hero doing his work etc etc. The heroine is on the run from a man she dated twice, he being a cop made things difficult and he escalated killing her friend thinking it was the heroine, so now she is truly off the grid, doing whatever jobs she can. The hero's cousin gets the heroine a job with the hero who ...more
Pamela(AllHoney)
Runing Wild is the first book in Linda Howard and Linda Jones' new series The Men from Battle Ridge. Carlin Reed is on the run from a stalker. She ends up in Battle Ridge, Wyoming, and decides to stay for a bit. She accepts a position as housekeeper/cook for Zeke Decker. Meanwhile, her stalker is on the prowl and searching for her relentlessly.

This is a theme/plot I've read many times and enjoy. And I liked this one but I felt it didn't keep me invested enough to warrant anything over 3 stars. I
D.G.
**2.5 stars**

There was more cooking in this book than anything else. The heroine is running from a stalker and finds herself in Wyoming where she gets work as the housekeeper for the hero's ranch. And then the book is mostly cooking - even the relationship was secondary to the cooking.

The whole stalker plot seemed way out there. I can't believe that a man who got obsessed with a woman after two dates would act normally in other circumstances that he wouldn't be found out for the nut he was.

Not r
-y.a
Jun 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carlin is running away from a crazy, psychotic cop who happens to be a hacker. He is always on her tail and getting closer no matter what she does or where she goes. Even with this plot line, the novel actually has very little suspense and pretty much lacks intensity compared with Linda Howard’s older RS books. Despite the promising start, a big part of the story is filled with cooking, baking, recipes, laundry, grocery shopping etc. Grrr...lots of chores:( The pace finally picks up around 70% b ...more
Beth
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If you love Linda Howard you will be disappointed in this book. It rambles on and is so dumb in places that I am having a hard time finishing it. The plot had such good possibilities but keeps letting me down! I will not be able to read any more of this series.
Bethany
Jun 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
4.5 Stars

The audiobook really sucks you in.
Dianne
Nov 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: galleys-arcs
In this really great opening book into a new series, you will get to meet the feisty, smart and scared Carlin Reed. And, yes she was named after George Carlin! She is being stalked by someone nobody would ever expect it of, and her stalker has already killed one person that Carlin cares about. Now she is on the run.

Her running takes her to an unlikely place by the name of Battle Ridge, Wyoming a very quiet ranching town that is sort of on the way out, with people moving trying to make a living e
Jenn Scranton
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First of all, I have yet to meet a cowboy that I did not like!

Zeke is no different. He's a little rough around the edges and doesn't exactly know what to say around a woman, but a hard working man with muscles and determination who knows how to keep his mouth shut at the appropriate moments... sign me up!! Not to mention you can win him over with a plate of chocolate chip cookies!

Some may see Carlin as flighty and flaky, but given the situation I feel it is justified. She is strong and only beco
Mara
Feb 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
A solid 4 star beginning, but the ending wasn't up to par.
Kathryn
Dec 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed the audio version of this book.
Gamruk
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
#BenimleSaklan / #LindaHoward & #LindaJones
Yaaaa bu kitap çok çok çok tatlıydı amaaa ❤ Kovboy aşkım depreşti yine:)))

Kızımız Carlin'in başı sapık polis takipçisi yüzünden beladadir. Hayatını işini akrabalarını geride bırakıp kaçak bir şekilde yaşamaya çalışıyor. Bir gün yolu Battle Ridge kasabasına düşüyor ve burada bir restoranda işe başlıyor. Ama işler başka bir boyuta geçiyor ve Carlin kendini Zeke isimli vahşi kovboyun evinde aşçı ve temizlikçi olarak buluyor.

Ev de bildiğimiz ahır gibi
Min Li Li
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Linda yazarda kötü mü olur? Çok güzeldi.Işin polisiye kısmı her zamanki gibi olsa da romantik kısmı çok tatlıydı.
Mandi Schreiner
I’m not huge on romantic suspense stories that involve stalkers. They frustrate me because I feel like either the stalker isn’t really a viable threat or the heroine doesn’t take her safety seriously, making me roll my eyes. So when this story started, I braced for frustration, instead I was impressed with the stalker and the story overall.

Carlin’s on the run from an obsessed stalker. Although she has made reports to the police, her stalker is a cop, and he is able to manipulate the people he wo
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine 29 73 Aug 01, 2012 02:57PM
  • Big Sky River (Parable, Montana, #3)
  • Trouble in Texas (Deep in the Heart of Texas, #4)
  • In Want of a Wife (Bitter Springs #3)
  • Bucking Hard
  • Texas Princess (Whispering Mountain, #2)
  • Billion Dollar Cowboy (Cowboys & Brides, #1)
  • Matthew (Circle Eight, #1)
  • The Covert Wolf (Phoenix Force, #1)
  • Once Tempted (Silver Creek, #1)
  • Wyoming Bride (Mail-Order Brides, #2)
  • Two Times as Hot (Oklahoma Nights, #2)
  • Should've Been a Cowboy (Sons of Chance, #4)
  • Quinn (Wyoming Sky, #1)
  • Tyler (The Secret Life of Cowboys, #1)
  • The Cowboy and the Princess (Jubilee, Texas, #2)
  • Wyoming Bold (Wyoming Men, #3)
  • Without Words
  • Stolen

Linda S. Howington is an American best-selling romance author writing under the pseudonym Linda Howard. After 21 years of penning stories for her own enjoyment, she submitted a novel for publication which was very successful. Her first work was published by Silhouette in 1982. She is a charter member of Romance
More about Linda Howard

Romance Deals

• Wild Kisses (Wildwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Dangerous Engagement (The Regency Spies of London, #3)
  • Trouble in Paradise
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Staying For Good (Most Likely To, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Miss Fortune (Lear Family Trilogy #3)
  • Almost Like Love
  • Party Girl
  • Cross My Heart
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Grave Secrets (Rogue River #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Married by Monday (The Weekday Brides, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • If I Didn't Know Better (The Callaways #9)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Beauty Queen (Lear Family Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Life After Wife (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #3)
  • Incentive
    $3.99 $1.99
  • It Started With a Kiss (Sequoia Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fiancé by Friday (The Weekday Brides, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Savage Urges (The Phoenix Pack, #5)
  • The Color of Water in July
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Knight Avenged (Circle of Seven, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taken by Tuesday (The Weekday Brides, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • A Forever Thing (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead in Her Tracks (Rogue Winter, #2)
  • Flirting with Felicity
  • Long, Hot Texas Summer
  • You'll Think of Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Lily Love
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Forever is the Worst Long Time
    $4.99 $1.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet as Sin (Bad Habit, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dollmaker (The Forgotten Files, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fifth Grave Past the Light (Charley Davidson, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Shameless (White Lies Duet #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Burn for You (Slow Burn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Be Mine Forever (St. Helena Vineyard, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Lake (Sweet Lake #1)
  • The Barefoot Summer
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Smart Girl (The Girl's #3)
  • Falling Together
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Warrior's Revenge
  • Lily's White Lace
    $4.49 $1.99
  • A Viscount's Proposal (The Regency Spies of London, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fear For Me: A Novel of the Bayou Butcher (For Me, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone Walls (True Heroes, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Flashpoint (Troubleshooters, #7)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Break Me (Corrupted Hearts, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Black and Green (The Ghost Bird, #11)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Wager
  • Enrage (Eagle Elite )
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Spiral of Need (The Mercury Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Treasured by Thursday (The Weekday Brides, #7)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Infraction (Players Game, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fated (Dark Protectors, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Material Girl (The Fancy Lives of the Lear Sisters, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Summer in Napa (St. Helena Vineyard, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Devil's Daughter (Hidden Sins #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fraternize (Players Game, #1)
  • P.S. from Paris
  • Love, Lucas
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Rules of Regret
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In Shining Whatever (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Follow Me (Corrupted Hearts, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Girl (The Girl's Series Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lost and Found Sisters (Wildstone, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Trouble with Tomboys (Tommy Creek #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All There Is (Juniper Hills, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul and Blade (Blood and Bone, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • To Win Her Favor (Belle Meade Plantation #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Delta: Redemption (Delta, #3)
  • The Curiosity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dealing Double (Heartbreaker, #2)
  • Spin (Spin, #1)
    $7.74 $0.99
  • On Her Father's Grave (Rogue River #1)
  • Before Goodbye
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Blood and Bone (Blood and Bone, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Royal Date (The Royals of Monterra, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hot Shot (Hostile Operations Team, #5)
  • The Way Life Should Be: A Novel
    $11.74 $1.99
  • The Yellow Rose Beauty Shop (Cadillac, Texas #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Force of Temptation (Mercury Pack, #2)
  • Wildalone
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Let Go (Hard Ink, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • By Your Side
    $9.99 $1.99
“You look like you're about to puke," he observed, pushing his cart forward.

With a quick, inner shake she gathered herself and cut him off to take her rightful position as lead cart. "I was trying to imagine you as a kid. It was horrifying.”
6 likes
“She glared down at the pan. And then she kicked it. The first kick sent it tumbling a couple of feet; something black and gooey came out. The second kick got better distance, maybe because it wasn’t as heavy now. Evidently unsatisfied, she advanced on one of the pickups and grabbed a hammer from the back. Going down on one knee, she swung the hammer for all she was worth and beat the hell out of that pan, then she got up and kicked it one more time for good measure.
“Damn,” Walt muttered. “I’m not ever going to say a single bad thing about her cooking.
“Yeah,” Eli muttered in return. “No matter what it is, I’ll eat it or die. Even that cake.”
“More like, eat it and die,” Patrick put in.”
5 likes