Start by marking “Snowmen at Night” as Want to Read:
Snowmen at Night

Snowmen at Night

(Snowmen)

Have you ever built a snowman and discovered the next day that his grin has gotten a little crooked, or his tree-branch arms have moved? And you've wondered . . . what do snowmen do at night? This delightful wintertime tale reveals all! Caralyn Buehner's witty, imaginative verse offers many amusing details about the secret life of snowmen and where they go at night, while ...more
Published September 23rd 2002 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about Snowmen at Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snowmen at Night

Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

WARNING: THIS REVIEW ISN'T WHAT I'D CALL "CHILD FRIENDLY"

It's a snow day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Commercial Photography

See. True story. That's my backyard.

Like every other snow day, I was woken up this morning AN ENTIRE F-ING HOUR EARLIER than our regular school-day "get up time" by a couple of screaming banshees. The youngest bounded out of his room hollering his plans to build an epic snowman . . . which reminded me of this little story.

"One wintery day I made
Calista
If your kids love snowmen the way my nephew loves snowmen, they will love this book. It is about what snowmen do at night when people are watching. They PARTY.

Fun book
N_katieg52
Oct 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Did you like making a snowman as a kid? I know I did! Children put a lot of time into making snowmen and go back for days to check out their masterpiece. In this delightful winter story, the little boy noticed that his snowman looked different the next day. Because of this, he started to wonder what snowmen do at night. He imagines the exciting life that happens when snowmen get together such as enjoying hot chocolate, racing, ice skating, play baseball, a huge snowball fight, and many more exci ...more
Atul Kachru
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I can't help it. This book just speaks to me me on a fundamental level. I never get tired of reading it. The art is also just beautifully put together. Snow covered moonlit nights have never looked more like I remember them when I was a kid.
Amelia
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: winter, snowmen
Simple but bouncy rhymes detail the overnight exploits of snowmen when everyone is asleep, readers learn they sled, skate, drink cold cocoa, and participate in snowball fights among other things. The pictures are almost three-dimensional in places, where you expect the snowball to leap off the page. Upon reading the copyright page, the illustrator alerts readers they can find a cat, rabbit, Santa face, and a T-Rex in “all these wintertime scenes” but they are thoroughly hidden. I had massive dif ...more
Abigail
Nov 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Children Who Love Snow & Snowmen
When he finds his snowman somewhat melted one morning, a young boy wonders what the snowy figure might have gotten up to the night before, imagining a series of exciting events, from a trip to the park to a sports competition involving all of the snowman's friends. The snowmen enjoy themselves immensely in this imaginary scenario, something which offers potential comfort to the children who observe their deteriorated condition the next day...

The first of a series of picture-books from author/ill
Andrea
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This isn't anything too profound, but it has rhyming (which I'm always a fan of esp. for reading aloud to kids) and it's silly (which I'm also a big fan of).

I don't think I loved it the first time I read it, but I recently re-read while babysitting and liked it a lot. It's a fun, creative book with nice illustrations to add to the mix of winter books.
Christine
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
What do Snowmen do at night?????
Joshua Arnett
Dec 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Snowmen get buck fucking wild at night.
Heather
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Andrea
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
Ashley Thompson
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
The premise is cute, writing is good (subjective, I know) and the illustrations are lovely. However, I found the book to be a little sexist, what with the snow"men" looking primarily like men (as we would attribute it in the U.S. anyway), that I could tell in most of the images--I suppose snow"women" could dress similar to what a "snowman" looks like. That's a hard one, since I know they also aren't actual humans but, they are at least somewhat representative of humans. But then there was the pa ...more
Tatiana
Jan 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Have you ever wondered what snowmen do at night? Well, they have a lot of fun sledding, playing baseball with snowballs, and much more.

I love how the text moves on the page and interacts with the illustrations. I think any story like this captures students' imaginations. They might be looking at the snowman in their front yard a little closer now....
Dewey
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What do snowmen do during the night that makes them look so different the next day? This book is really cute...imagine all the things your snowman does with the other snowmen after all the kids who made them have gone to bed.
Leanne
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've owned this book for years but didn't appreciate it enough until this year reading it to my granddaughter. She loves to count the snowmen while I love the rhythm and rhyme. There are so many fun & creative picture in it, that I don't mind reading it over and over!
Cheryl
Dec 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
The concept is excellent; however, I really think it doesn't live up to the potential it has for creativity. Needs more whimsy, wit, and mischief. It does provide challenging hidden pictures on every page to find. Bonus: The oil/acrylic rendering of light in the book.
Brittney Daniel
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A great book to read during winter theme months especially for children who don't experience snow this is a great time for children to make fake snow and make their own snowman as well as practice small medium and large.
Bam
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
I've been reading this one over and over with my nineteen-month-old grandson. We are enjoying the beautiful drawings, the simple story and especially the hidden images. Our favorite snowman is the one with the pickle nose!
Molly
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A fun winter book to read to kids. A favorite in our house.
Devin
Kinda a cheesy storyline; but I think it would help kids to think outside the box. Give them ideas of things to wonder about when thinking about creative writing. Stimulates imagination.
Melissa Ericsson
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think this book is an excellent read aloud for primary students. The author, Caralyn Buehner, does an excellent job illustrating the story through her text. The illustrator also does a wonderful job through his illustrations. Students enjoy discussion throughout the story about what they think snowmen could possibly do at night. This story also opens a great discussion around the difference between fiction versus non-fiction books. Although students love discussing what they think snowmen coul ...more
Courtney
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As someone who loves snow and the feel of winter time in general, I highly recommend this book for primary-aged children. I think that children of all ages would be captivated by this fun and entertaining story because what child isn't wondering about what a snowman might be up to at night? This story, because of its imaginative story line, lends itself to children being able to predict some activities that snowmen might be up to before the story is read (this might be a conversation that occurs ...more
Emily Chaffin
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rdng-350
This book was about a little kid that built a snowman, but when he woke up the next morning, the snowman is crooked and not how it was the day before. He then goes on to tell his predictions on what snowmen do at night and why they look so tired the morning.

I love this book because it adapts everything that normal kids do during the winter and makes it seem like a toy story type situation. I think its neat to see what kids might think their creations do at night.

I would use this in my classroom
Kristen
Feb 17, 2019 rated it liked it
We checked this book out of the library to accompany a unit on the Seasons for our homeschool.

It is a cute story that both our younger children enjoyed about what might happen during the nighttime to cause snowmen to look misshapen in the morning.

The snowmen go to the park and have a great time - sledding, playing baseball, enjoyed ice-cold cocoa - until morning when they return to the yards of the children who built them.

The illustrations are quite cheerful (and some have hidden pictures to
Samantha Summers
In the Snowmen at Night the reader is given an explanation of why snowmen don't look the same the day after you build them and what they actually do at night. Snowmen play a big game of baseball. Snowmen drink hot cocoa, sled, and have of course, a snowball fight. To find out more of what snowmen do after dark, read Snowmen at Night!

This is a fun seasonal book to read to the class. Its a silly explanation to a real life phenomenon, that gets the kids imagination going. I would probably read thi
April King-Vaughn
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever wondered what that snowman does, that you took forever making, once you go inside? Caralyn Buehner does a fantastic job answering that question! Snowmen drink hot chocolate, have races, play in the snow, and have may more exciting adventures after the sun goes down. This book is recommended for children ages 3-5, preschool thru kindergarten. Although young readers may need some assistance, the rhyming will help with reading while detailed sentences will assist in advancing a young ...more
Scott
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A young boy builds a big snowman but the snowman's appearance has changed quite a bit by the next day. You'll be tempted to think the snowman's changed appearance is due to melting and other weather conditions. However, you'll have a lot more fun if you allow yourself to run along with the boy's imagination about what his snowman and the snowman's friends have been up to during the night while all the humans were sleeping! At the end of the book, be sure and notice the special note from the Bueh ...more
Liz P
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for the imagination. My 4-year-old and I had a great time reading this at bedtime last night. We had just received a wonderful gift of a foot of snow and we had built a snowman. I felt that there was no better time than the present to read it! Not only is the story great, the pictures are very well-done. Our favorite part? Looking for the hidden pictures within each page ;) At the back of the book, it will tell you what hidden images you can find! My kid LOVED this. Rarely d ...more
Emily
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a very imaginative story that is perfect for a child. A child goes to bed after making a snowman and starts to wonder what the snowman does at night. The story goes on and tells all sorts of fun tales of what the snowmen got up to. The pictures even showed snow dogs and snow children. This book teaches to always be curious. Good for 1st grade to 4th.
Serena Tang
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. It’s whimsy, unique, and creative. I love the entire concept of it and i find the illustrations for it to be adorable. There’s so many hidden details to find and I bet that it can be especially fun for kids. It stimulates creativity since it’s a story of pure imagination. Some people may find it cheesy, but I think that it’s just a work of a masterpiece

• Snowballs
  • A Kitten Tale
  • A Hat for Minerva Louise
  • Froggy Gets Dressed
  • The Missing Mitten Mystery
  • How Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food?
  • Merry Christmas, Big Hungry Bear!
  • Thanks for Thanksgiving