Start by marking “Arroz con leche: canciones y ritmos populares de América Latina Popular Songs and Rhymes From Latin America (English and Spanish Edition)” as Want to Read:

A collection of traditional Latin American songs and rhymes, in Spanish and English, with the music included.

Book Details: Format: Paperback Publication Date: 4/1/1992 Pages: 32 Reading Level: Age 4 and Up
Published April 1st 1992 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Arroz con leche, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arroz con leche

Start your review of Arroz con leche: canciones y ritmos populares de América Latina Popular Songs and Rhymes From Latin America (English and Spanish Edition)
Bethany
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Awards received?
n/a

Appropriate Grade level?
K and up

Original Summary:
Lulu Delacre introduces her readers to twelve catchy Latin American Rhymes and Songs. The songs/rhymes discuss a variety of topics ranging from the hand of a child to heaven’s gate. Each verse is written with english on one side and Spanish on the other, with wonderful, vibrant visuals surrounding them.

Original Review:
Lulu Delacre beautifully portrays twelve popular Latin American Songs and Rhymes in both English and Spanish.
Daisy
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: d-songs
Ages: Kindergarten- 5th grade

Summary: Arroz con leche is a compilation of various nursery rhymes and songs of various latin american countries but focuses on Puerto Rican and Mexican nursery rhymes. With beautiful illustrations bilingual students are captivated by the rhythm and rhyme of other languages as well as the illustrations.

Review: Arroz con leche is a beautiful book that centers on Puerto Rican and Mexican songs. Readers are captivated by the beautiful colors of the illustrations and
Ardyth
I quite enjoyed this collection. Most of the nursery rhymes are from Puerto Rico, a few from Mexico and one or two from Argentina.

Note the English is not a technically-exact translation. It seems like the translator wanted to go for a similar feel, which is good. But... the English edition of the poems isn't nearly as catchy or lovely as the original Spanish.

The final few pages of the book are lead sheets for the nursery rhymes / songs. So, in addition to being achievable content for young
Jessica
Tres ideas de canciones para usar en la hora de cuentos:

Qué Linda Manito

Aserrín, Aserrán

Asserín, aserrán
los maderos de San Juan.
Los de Pedro comen queso,
Los de Enrique, alfeñique...
¡Ñique, ñique, ñique!

Qué llueva

¡Qué llueva! ¡Qué llueva!
La virgen de la cueva,
Los pajaritos cantan, las nubes se levantan,

¡Qué sí! ¡Què no!
¡Que caiga el chaparrón!
Kathy
Mar 10, 2017 added it
1.None
2.Preschool-3
3.This book has songs both in Spanish and English. All the songs included are from Latin America. There are some that you can use your body to move along too it.
4. I like that it has the songs in both languages, traditional songs that latinos have listen too. The songs are not long songs so they are easy to share with the class. At the end, it even has for someone to play an instrument making it more entertaining.
5. Transitions, learning another language, rhyming
Kimberly Garcia
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I read this with my little cousins some of the songs that we were singing to my grandma joined in. Such a cute book for kids learning to speak and read in Spanish because it does have an English translation.
Kaitlyn
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
1) No awards
2) ages 4-8
3) The book Arroz con leche is a great song book that incorporates different elements of life such as nature and animals. The songs are short, written in English and Spanish. This book can benefit students whose native language is Spanish.
4) I thought this was a great book to use with students because it is written in English and Spanish. This is a great way for students to learn a second language by referring to the illustrations and to the other language that appears
Daniella Delgado
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
1. N/A
2. Pre-K -2nd
3. This book is a song book filled with songs in Spanish and English. They have the Spanish songs first and then next to them the translated English version. This book is easy to read and has nice pictures.
4. I like this book because it reaches a new audience. Students who speak Spanish can enjoy this book and learn the songs in English as well. Some of the songs that I was taught are in this book and it was nice to see them and have good memories come back.
5. Rhyming, dual
Nicole Raabe
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: song-books
1) Awards: No awards

2) Age Range: Preschool-3rd grade

3) Summary: This book offers both rhymes and songs. On one side of the page is the Spanish version, which is accompanied by its english translation. At the back of the book is the sheet music, allowing for someone to play the tune while you sing the song.

4) Review: I enjoyed this collection as it could be useful for children that are learning english, providing them with a text that they can relate to. They can learn a lot from the
Mirely
Originally posted on Arroz Con Leche the Blog. Visit for a chance to win your own copy of this book.

I absolutely love this book! I remember buying this book years and years ago and being in awe with it. Being a Puerto Rican in the diaspora, I tend to grasp at anything that involves my culture and/or history. My family has always tried to maintain our roots alive and kicking even if we do live so very far from the island.
Now, being a mommy to a multi-racial child, I find that not only do I
Katherine
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: songs
Arroz Con Leche Popular Songs and Rhymes from Latin America selected and illustrated by Lulu Delacre
Award Winning Children’s Book
Grade Preschool-3 or Age 4-8
Popular Songs and Rhymes from Latin America is a book comprised of various songs from Latin America. It has twelve songs and a few melodies in it. Each song gives both the words in Spanish and English.
Popular Songs and Rhymes from Latin America is a book with beautiful pictures that go along with whichever song has been picked on that
Colleen Jones
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: songs
"Arroz con Leche" by Lulu Delacre is a collection of songs and rhymes listed in both Spanish and English that discuss different practices of the Latin American culture. It is best suited for 2nd through 4th grades. Each rhyme is accompanied by a small illustration along with their country of origin. At the end there are more structured songs that are presented with music notes. I love that this book has songs in both languages. I think this is a great way to instill an acceptance of different ...more
Stephanie Linton
This is such a great little book of songs and rhymes from Latin America. First, Delacre includes the English translation for each poem and puts it next to the Spanish verse. This makes it a great book for ELL students. Secondly, the author includes notes for how to gesture with the hands while singing/saying the verses, which makes this a great read loud book to younger children. Finally, the sheet music is also included in the back of the book in case children are interested in singing the ...more
Callie
Nov 20, 2012 added it
Grade/interest level: Early childhood/Primary (PreK-3rd)
Reading level: reading level equivalent approx. 1.5
Genre: Poetry/Multicultural

Main Characters: Various
Setting: Various
POV: Various

Summary:
This is a collection of twelve songs and poems from across Latin America. The text is in both English and Spanish. The watercolor illustrations of Latin American locations and cities are beautiful and bring the poems and songs to life.

Classroom use/theme:
The fact that the text is in two languages makes it
Ckorbakis
We began to use this with social studies this year. We have been learning the continents and focusing on a continent every week. During South America, the music teacher was pushing in with my class. We selected several of the songs and games and sang them and played them with her. Each one tells which country it comes from. It was fun trying to interpret them with the students. They came up with some great ideas.
Elizabeth
This book made me think of my own childhood. Not because I'm familiar with the songs and rhymes, but because my own collection of nursery rhymes, clapping games, jump rope songs were essential to play. What a wonderful way to tap into children's store of rhyme and poetry! Delacre includes the music for many of the selections along with translation. Of course, all of the rhyme and rhythm is in the Spanish. The colorful, sun-drenched illustrations give cultural context and hints about content.
Sam Grace
I really liked that it had the music written out and that it identified where each song was from (that is, most of the songs are "from" everywhere, but each place has its own variation, so this told you which variation you were getting). The illustrations weren't memorable for me, and I wish there had been more versions/countries represented, though.
Zoila Avila
Apr 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a collection of rhymes and songs from Latin America, mostly from Puerto Rico, Mexico and Argentina. A few I was familiar with from my childhood so I enjoyed reading them. they are written in both Spanish and English. I think this would be good for children who are English learners.
Amanda!puertorico05b
Oct 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: :)
Recommended to Amanda!puertorico05b by: family.. it was a passed down book
THIS BOOK IS ONE OF MY TOP 10 BOOKS :)

Ilike this book because it has songs that my family used to sing to me when i was little and its songs that most of them realate to me and my culture very well,and having a family that is very big on are culture.,this book means alot.
Cheryl
Feb 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Cheryl by: Friends of Library
Bilingual books are so important, and a bilingual poetry book even more so. Definitely glad I ran across this one.

Wish I had a CD so I could hear the melody that goes with each of these since they all were unfamiliar. Hopefully there will be children in the class that know them.
Miriam Garcia
This book about Latin American rhymes and songs reminded me of when I was little and my mom taught me the songs. This book is sure to relate to many Latin students in your classroom and as a teacher you can also teach thoes students about rhyming and culture.
Gail
Jul 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Good companion book for Jose Luis Orozco CDs in a Spanish classroom.
Concept: SPanish songs and rhymes.
Not sure if this right for TRC or not.
More of parent book. Maybe good for playgroups?
Eddie Corujo
rated it it was ok
Sep 16, 2013
Lisa Castillo
Jul 09, 2014
Joanna
rated it did not like it
Jan 26, 2017
Genoveva Nieto
Nov 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »

• Marley and Me: Life and Love With the World's Worst Dog
I create my books out of love and the conviction that they are sorely needed, and I’ve seen them succeed. I’ve measured their success in the proud smiles of many Latino children as they join hands with their schoolmates and myself, in the game song of Arroz con Leche. Or as we all sing vejigante chants behind paper masks when recreating a carnaval. For when these Latino children feel their ...more