Start by marking “Disciplines of the Beautiful Woman” as Want to Read:

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  287 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Disciplines of the Beautiful Woman
Published June 15th 1984 by Word Books (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Disciplines of the Beautiful Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Disciplines of the Beautiful Woman

Vicki
Aug 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Vicki by: Anne Elliott
A heartfelt, conversationally written book on a christian woman's responsibilities. A tad outdated but it's purpose spans a lifetime. Instructing you in your walk with God she gives examples of how we can accomplish more quiet time with Him. We are to support and encourage our husbands and lovingly disciple our children. She includes being well-dressed for our Savior, husband and self and keeping a notebook to keep your days from taking over your life. A very thought-provoking book that makes yo ...more
Mary A
Oct 21, 2013 rated it liked it
I picked up this book at a local thrift store. While some of the particular advice in this book made me laugh because they seem like relics from the 70s (example: a list of things to do to be productive included napping on an "incline board" and getting your hair and nails done once a week), it became clear that in many ways Anne Ortlund is a much more godlier woman than I am and that it would behoove me to take her advice in the spirit in which it was intended! Her heart for discipleship is ama ...more
Trace
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-booklist, 2016
4.5 star rating.

Oh I just ADORED this little book! I loved the author's quirky and charming way of writing. It felt very much like she was chatting with me over a cup of tea - so warm hearted and motherly or older-sisterly :). Her style reminds me somewhat of Elizabeth George (A Woman After God's Own Heart).

I would have loved to have discovered this book earlier on in my Christian walk... I could have used a Titus 2 type of mentor/sister such as this author.

I had never heard of Anne Ortlund u
Vicki
Jun 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Changed my life 25+ years ago. Esp. the notebook ideas. Pre-Daytimer--Mrs. Ortlund was waaay ahead of her time! I love the beautiful picture of a helper to your husband, as well as personal development.
Karin Katherine
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A treasure of a book for Christian women. Great biblical perspective. Easy to read and encouraging.
Jess
May 21, 2013 rated it liked it
old fashioned.
interesting but i don't agree with all of it.
Lana
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. It discusses beauty both inside and out but its wisdom goes so far beyond that and it's just great and timeless advice for Christian women about how to put God first in their life no matter where they find themselves. The author writes in a funny, down to earth way, but very warm like she is your friend and sitting right there with you. I know I will come back to it for sure!
Christina
I wanted to like this book, I really did.

It seemed like the advice given was not really Biblical, and focused on making one's life better, but not to serve God.

The author had written this book while recovering from surgery, while on a luxury vacation, etc, so I had a hard time relating to her.

She also implied that if you work really hard, God will make your life easier.

Mary Elizabeth
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Regardless of when it was written, this book offers timeless wisdom because its simplicity is rooted (and points so faithfully back to) Scripture. I dogeared and highlighted several pages so that I can refer back.
Brenda
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was helpful to me when I read it but I think young women today would prefer something more contemporary such as Barbara Hughes book published in 2016 (same or very similar title)
Miranda
Aug 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Another book that I've read several times. This time I am actually creating my own notebook as Anne Ortlund suggests, and I am PUMPED about it! Call me a nerd, but I love organization---and using a notebook to reorganize my life with 2 young children is something that is super appealing to me right now. The book was written quite a while ago, (maybe in the 70s?) so some of it sounds a bit outdated, but the principals, suggestions and the fact that it is based on God's Word makes it timeless.
Esther
Jun 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ruthie and Liz
I really liekd this book! Not because the author said things I have never heard before, but because she said things I've known I needed to do for so long, and yet for some reason I never actually do them. But while reading this book I had this overwhelming feeling that I need to, I can, and I pray I will! I actually intend to re-read this and take some notes, only after I go shopping for a notebook though! (You'll understand that bit about the notebook if you read the book!)
Ann Fouad
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Generally old fashioned and I don't agree with many things in it(especially the parts about spiritual growth). In fact, some parts sound like they originated few centuries ago not the 21st. I'm amazed it is written by an American author.

However, I do like the parts that discuss appearance, self care and the idea of eliminating and concentrating.
Laurie D
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great book written in the 70's. May seem outdated but has valuable truths. Enjoyed this book. Lifestyle book for the Christian woman. Valuable truths. The notebook is revolutionary and I believed to have sparked women to create home management notebooks and the like. This is a book to reread over and over again.
Betsy Gant
Sep 10, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity
Anne Ortlund's arrogance permeates this book. I couldn't get past her pride and sickening piety. The only takeaways I found were: 1) pray through your planner, 2) be kindest and reflect beautiful to your family first, 3) and spend one day of the month away in prayer. Go read Elisabeth Elliot or Elizabeth George for real wisdom about spiritual growth.
Dria Knutson
Apr 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have read this book multiple times and I am still gleaning every day wisdom from it. It is a little Brady Bunch, dated, but super encouraging and inspiring. She is an amazing lady. Thank you Anne for pouring into the rest of us ladies.
Kelley
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love this book, reread it often. I find something new to focus on with each read.
Renee
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A little old fashioned but I loved it!
Krista
Oct 27, 2008 rated it liked it
I've had this in my library for years and felt inspired to go back and re-read it. I'm needing some inspiration.
Michael Rachel
Aug 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Provides great thoughts on balancing all of the different duties of a woman in a Christian way. Great practical applications.
Lori Nemitz
Apr 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Read between July & December 1984.

Original notes on book from 1984: Excellent! Notebook great! Good organization!
Betty Bistrow
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
An excellent source book that is well written and so easy to follow. The author gives great insights into the walk of the Christian woman.
Mary Chambers
Aug 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I received alot of direction and help from this book.
Rosemary
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this as a young mother, and it made a big impression on me. Highly recommend!
Sara
Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Full of practical helpful tips for every kind of woman of God. Author spoke biblical truths sweetly and simply. Very encouraging.
Sandy Gary
Feb 23, 2016 marked it as to-read
Lots of things to think about. Usually use my phone for notes and calendar but started to use a notebook
Nance Biswas
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful must-read before the beginning of each year!
Margaret
Oct 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This might've been written in 1977, but it's a gem for any Christian woman!
Helen
Jan 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
A little precious in some of her advice, from the edition I read, which was preinternet. In other things, this was an uplifting book, in a quiet, sometimes humorous way.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Creative Counterpart: Becoming the Woman, Wife, and Mother You've Longed to Be
  • A Woman's Walk with God: Growing in the Fruit of the Spirit
  • Open Heart, Open Home: The Hospitable Way to Make Others Feel Welcome & Wanted
  • Prodigals and Those Who Love Them
  • The Fruit of Her Hands: Respect and the Christian Woman
  • Attitudes of a Transformed Heart
  • When You Rise Up: A Covenantal Approach to Homeschooling
  • Craving Grace: Experience the Richness of the Gospel
  • Pillars of Grace, AD 100–1564 (A Long Line of Godly Men, #2)