Start by marking “The E-Myth Revisited CD: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and” as Want to Read:
The E-Myth Revisited CD: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and

The E-Myth Revisited CD: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  39,130 Ratings  ·  1,202 Reviews
In this compact disc edition of the totally revised underground bestseller -- The E-Myth, Michael Gerber dispels the myths surrounding starting your own business and shows how commonplace assumptions can get in the way of running a business. He walks you through the steps in the life of a business -- from entrepreneurial infancy, through adolescent growing pains, to the ma ...more
Audio CD, 7 pages
Published June 1st 2004 by HarperAudio (first published September 1st 1985)

Chad Warner
Apr 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: entrepreneurs, business owners
Recommended to Chad by: Dean Whittaker, Entrepreneur Magazine, Seth Getz
This book tells how to get your business to run without you. It shows how to work on your business, not in it. It explains how to get your people to work without your interference. It tells how to systematize so the business could be replicated 5,000 times. It shows how to do the work you love rather than the work you have to do.

The E-Myth (Entrepreneurial Myth) is that businesses are started by entrepreneurs seeking profit. In actuality, businesses are started by technicians (employees) who dec
Christopher
Dec 02, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
About half a dozen important ideas buried in a mass of cloying, poorly written prose.

The 268 pages dedicated to this text could have been cut to 60 and the book would have been better for it. As it is, prepare to skim.

The author's habit of inventing characters that compliment him on his own ideas is a recurring and increasingly annoying technique. He also compliments his invented characters for their eloquence and drops repeated advertisements for his own company in the text. Classy.
Travis
Jul 10, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If it weren't for the condescending, overly-simplistic, overly-drawn out, incessantly repetitive tone of this book, it would be good--it does have meaningful concepts, it just should have been twenty pages long. I've spent years working in consulting where process works when people don't. This book took sixty pages to suggest that the poor overworked technician hire help. Another fifty pages to explain that you need good processes so that you can hire low-skilled people. That you define a role a ...more
Wellington
Jan 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fine book showing some of the flaws of small businesses and why so many fail. The author uses a fictional small business owner who started a pie shop and running herself ragged. She has a great gift in making pies but is burning herself out. She was thinking about how she her job was making and selling pies when her business could and should be so much more.

Successful companies don’t actually sell the products that they make. They fulfill an emotional need of their clients. For instanc
Meg
Feb 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this a few years ago. It was the text for one of my husband's business classes. He said it was a good book... and I said, "WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?" (qualifies as one of the most rare phrases to escape his gorgeous lips) So I had to read it, see.

It's actually pretty amazing. I'm betting I'll never start my own business, because the things I do tend to be less-marketable services and commodities. Reading, doing laundry, watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer... Don't think you get paid for any of
Chris
Jun 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I skimmed this book five years ago after hearing about it from some North Point staff members. I thought I understood the basic ideas, so for the last five years the book sat on my shelf. Until this week. I had a chance to listen to the book this week, and will likely add it as required reading for all our new staff members.

Great lessons:

1) Most people get into business (ministry?) because they like doing something and wish they could do it for themselves. Naively, they think they'll have more
Filipe Lemos
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: No one, really
This book is appears in all must-read-business-books-lists.
Well, not on mine.

While I agree that standardization of processes can go long way, the McDonald's of the world already exist. Trying to create another one, is as likely as to aiming to be the next Facebook.

The way I work in the corporate world, and the way I see myself working in an enterprise of my own, isn't factory work, follow the manual and nothing but the manual, don't think just execute bogus.

We're human working for humans, everyo
Nicholas
Jan 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elise Edmonds
The principles in this book are very good, and I think Gerber nails the reasons why so many small businesses fail. The distinction between the roles of Entrepreneur, Technician and Manager are well thought out and reflect reality.

The systems Gerber recommends putting into place are stringent, and I feel it would be difficult to transfer them to certain types of business - service businesses, and highly skilled technical businesses for example. It's very much geared to businesses that provide goo
Daniel Taylor
Self-employment does not make you an entrepreneur.

In this classic, Gerber highlights the three functions in a business: the Entrepreneur, the Manager, and the Technician. Self-employed people stay on the Technician-level and thus limit themselves.

He then moves onto the three stages of business growth, Infancy, Adolescence, and Maturity and shows how the role of the functions change as you grow.

Finally he outlines a Business Development Program, a practical Turn-Key system for putting his ideas i
Robert
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"A life laking in comprehensive structure is an aimless wreck. The absence of structure breads breakdown" - Quote from The Third Wave, Alvin Toffler. So Mr. Gerber makes the point that in a broken world our businesses need to be the shelter from the chaos with what Mr. Gerber calls "Impeccable order".

Sophie
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The The E-Myth Revisited deals with two major misconceptions about running a business: that every small business owner is an entrepreneur and the assumption that working on your business is the same as working in your business. This book is an absolute must-read for business owners and while on occasion the writing is a little cheesy there are plenty of really important topics discussed in a clear, informative manner, which will help you grow your business in a productive and successful way.
Mohammad
May 04, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
موضوع اصلی این کتاب نحوه توسعه کسب و کارهای کوچیکه. این موضوع رو با طرح یک داستان شروع می کنه و بعد از توضیحات هر بخش دوباره همون مطالب رو در قالب ادامه همون داستان بین کاراکترهای کذایی مطرح می کنه و قسمت پایانی هر فصل رو به این داستان اختصاص داده.
می گه در وجود هر کدوم از ما حداقل سه تا شخصیت مختلف وجود داره: تکنسین، مدیر و کارآفرین. تکنسین اون بخشیه که تمایل به انجام خود کار داره. اگه قرار یک آشپرخونه راه بندازیم، تکنسین آشپزه. دلش می خواد آشپزی کنه و درگیر کارهای دیگه نباشه. یک جنبه دیگه مون م
Farnoosh Brock
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business-spirit
It felt like overnight MBA school. Or better.

A 5-star through and through. I never got my MBA. I've build a 6-figure business after resigning from my long corporate career, and I'm never going to go for the MBA, but listening to Michael Gerber's E-Myth Revisited book, I feel like I just went to overnight MBA School.

I listened to the book at 1.5x the speed over several flights and learned SO MUCH and I feel that even if you are a pro small business owner, you'll get a lot out of this book.

This i
Chris Mower
I've read this book 3 times now over the past 5 years... well, I read it once very thoroughly and marked it up with highlights and notes... then read/skimmed it the second and third times... truth is it drives me nuts when people invent characters/dialogue in these types of books, and it's even more annoying when the dialogue is unnatural. Grudges aside, it teaches excellent business principles and ideas and thus comes highly recommended for the ideas, just not for the writing style.
Alex Stevenson
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hands down the best book on business I've read yet. You often hear the same generic motivational narrative and watered down advice over and over. This book was the complete opposite - it shows you the core of what a business really is and gives you practical advice on starting a successful one. A must read for anyone into entrepreneurship, and even if you aren't it'll give you invaluable advice on how to use systems to achieve results in your every day life.
Mario Tomic
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an absolute MUST READ for anyone looking to start or manage a business. It's evergreen wisdom that will give you a nice foundation how to plan your business and the proper way to manage it. Even if you don't wanna start your own company this book will definitely help you understand more about business in general and how the structure of a stable company works. This is a really valuable book full of wisdom, don't miss out!
Louai Roumani
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am usually very skeptical about business books; there seems to be an endless stream of new books underlying 'revolutionary' theories on what to do and what not to do in business. Some say you should plan more, others insist the way to go is not to plan; and so on. In spite of this skeptical mindset, I gave this book a chance as recommended by a friend.

Little did I know that I was destined to the best business book I have ever read.

The language is so simple and practical, yet so engaging and
Dillon
seems like good solid advice. I won't rate it because I'm not a small-business owner and can't say firsthand if the stuff works or not, but I'm sure it does. Here are some things from the book:

- systematize as much as possible - people, organization, management, marketing
- make things as simple as possible for employees. Anyone who can follow simple instructions should be able to keep the business running.
- don't make yourself indispensable or you'll be a slave to your business when it should be
Melissa Jill
Oct 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
This book is one of the most highly acclaimed reads for small business owners. I started listening to it on CD a few years ago and then got distracted and just finished it recently. I got the gist of the message a few years back and it truly shaped my business and focus from that point forward.

The E-Myth (Entrepreneurial Myth) is that businesses are started by entrepreneurs seeking profit. In actuality, businesses are started by technicians (employees) who convince themselves that they could be
Jim
Apr 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
One of the worst titles for one of the best business books I've read in a long time. The "E Myth" stands for the "Entrepreneur myth" which, in Gerber's opinion, has caused many small American businesses to fail. Gerber believes that the notion that people of a certain type drive success in business, is pretty much dangerous bunkum. Systems drive business, and if you construct the right systems, the business will run itself. Of course, it's a bit more complex than that. In fact, it's a lot more c ...more
Brandon Allen
Dec 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The E-Myth is an important read for inspiring entrepreneurs if for no other reason than to keep you on track with doing what’s important for your business. Specifically making sure that you are always working on your business.

The overall message of this book is for small business owners to have systems and processes in place for their business. The main model that Michael Gerber uses is the franchise model that ensures that companies like McDonald’s can operate anywhere in the country and still
Amit
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended reading for entrepreneurs.

Notes:

Work on your business, not in it.

A company is supposed to grow and it will not grow if you only care about the technical work
Build the company as a set of systems that could be copied for repeatable success.
Clearly define and document every role and have an insight in every one
Your customers perceived need is more important than their actual need.
Experiment to make your systems better.
Measure everything so you know if what you are doing is working
Your
Khánh Trình
Sách viết đơn giản, dễ hiểu, cụ thể hơn so với Lean Startup. Hiểu cho đúng thì làm business lúc nào cũng cần kiểm định từng ý tưởng mới của người quản lý, đòi hỏi người quản lý phải có tư duy đổi mới liên tục. Sách phù hợp cho những người còn bỡ ngỡ chưa hiểu rõ làm business thực sự là như thế nào, xứng đáng là một best seller trong số các sách về business.

Điểm trừ lớn nhất là 2 phần đầu viết rất chán, cách viết thường xuyên lặp lại, đọc xong rồi tự thấy hối hận đã bỏ nhiều thời gian cắm cúi ngồ
Jeff
Nov 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-book-list
Outstanding. Second time I've read it, better this time around. If you are starting a new business or organization, this is a must-read.

Some takeaways:

The Entrepreneur, the Technician, the Manager.

The true product of a business isn't what it sells but how it sells it.

The Entrepreneur asks, "Where is the opportunity?"

Tom Watson, IBM: "Every day is devoted to business development, not doing business."

Mr. Watson had a clear picture of what IBM would look like in the future and began to act like it
Rob Dudek
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommended
This book is a must read! Throughout the whole book I felt like Mr. Gerber was talking directly to me. As a small business owner I must admit, I wish I had read this book sooner - it highlighted some of the mistakes I had made, as well explained certain processes and why they had occurred. It's a quick and easy read, with the author (more or less) getting straight to the point. If I was you, I'd definitely read this book, no matter if you're planning on starting a business or not - these are ver ...more
TarasProkopyuk
Данная книга скорее всего одна из лучших и которые можно рекомендовать без малейших сомнений людям которые задумались или уже на пути открытия своего собственного бизнеса.

Автор поднял самые актуальные и важные психологические вопросы. Я думаю, что после прочтения книги вам станет понятней почему громадное количество людей начавшие свое дело терпят крушение, или же чего ожидать в открытом океана бизнеса и тщательнее подготовиться ко всем неприятностям еще на берегу.
Harinderpal
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the book. For someone who wants to start his business must read this. Michael has cleverly shown the mistakes every entrepreneur makes. I would agree with the title Why most Small Businesses Don't Work. He has cleverly done research on entrepreneur's behaviour and how they behave in different situation. What Successful Entrepreneur do different than unsuccessful.
Dvir Oren
May 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good message but he made the book too long in my opinion.

The message is not to work in the business but work on it, very important, can't wait to implement it once I have a profitable model and then scale.

Most small businesses are small because they don't set systems and try to become big. Do not make this mistake.

Bartosz Majewski
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Must read for every enterpreneur. Instant classic
http://www.skinliftsup.com/booty-firm 1 1 Jun 14, 2017 10:30PM
How do we add books from Audible 2 195 Nov 06, 2013 07:41PM
  • Mastering the Rockefeller Habits: What You Must Do to Increase the Value of Your Growing Firm
  • Book Yourself Solid: The Fastest, Easiest, and Most Reliable System for Getting More Clients Than You Can Handle Even If You Hate Marketing and Selling
  • Built to Sell: Creating a Business That Can Thrive Without You
  • The One Minute Entrepreneur: The Secret to Creating and Sustaining a Successful Business
  • Love Is the Killer App: How to Win Business and Influence Friends
  • The Monk and the Riddle: The Education of a Silicon Valley Entrepreneur
  • Little Red Book of Selling: 12.5 Principles of Sales Greatness
  • Permission Marketing: Turning Strangers Into Friends And Friends Into Customers
  • How to Make Millions with Your Ideas: An Entrepreneur's Guide
  • Guerrilla Marketing: Easy and Inexpensive Strategies for Making Big Profits from Your Small Business
  • Ultimate Sales Machine
  • Duct Tape Marketing: The World's Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide
  • The Age of Unreason
  • Growing a Business
  • Small Giants: Companies That Choose to Be Great Instead of Big
  • Zig Ziglar's Secrets of Closing the Sale: For Anyone Who Must Get Others to Say Yes!
  • Escape from Cubicle Nation: From Corporate Prisoner to Thriving Entrepreneur
  • Lucky or Smart?: Secrets to an Entrepreneurial Life

“Contrary to popular belief, my experience has shown me that the people who are exceptionally good in business aren't so because of what they know but because of their insatiable need to know more.” 21 likes
“The difference between great people and everyone else is that great people create their lives actively, while everyone else is created by their lives, passively waiting to see where life takes them next. The difference between the two is living fully and just existing.” 18 likes