Start by marking “The Ship That Flew” as Want to Read:
The Ship That Flew

The Ship That Flew

When Peter sees the model ship in the shop window, he wants it more than anything else on Earth. But this is no ordinary model. The ship takes Peter and the other children on magical flights, wherever they ask to go. Time after time the magic ship takes them on different exciting adventures, to different countries, and to different times.
Published June 28th 1958 by Criterion Books (first published 1939)

To ask other readers questions about The Ship That Flew, please sign up.

Rose
Jun 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Rose by: My Mum
Shelves: to-buy, i-own-it
When my mother and grandparents when on sabbatical in Nottingham, they lived next door to Hilda Lewis who gave my family several copies (the book came out in 1939). Years later when I was little my mother pulled this book out and it became one of my most beloved and cherished books. It is one of the most enchanting tales I will ever read. Though I haven't read it in years (seeing as it lives on my mum's bookshelf and not my own), I can recall it to memory clearly. The story of Peter and his brot ...more
CLM
Aug 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Jack
Fantasy about four children and their magical travels.

In a dark little shop, in a dark little street, Peter finds a little ship that costs him "all the money he has in the world - "and a bit over." This seems like a high price but it takes him into a magical world.

* * *
I read the first chapter to my nephew this morning and he ate it up. Even just telling him the title: The Magic Begins brought a smile to his face. He took the shillings and pence in stride. My sister and I told him how mysterious
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
This was my favorite kind of story when I was a little girl. If I'd been able to find a copy on the shelves of my library, I would have checked it out and read it over and over.

The Ship That Flew is the story of four siblings, two brothers and two sisters. One of the brothers, Peter, sees a ship in a shop window and buys it with "all the money he has," a few coins. He soon learns the ship is magic and the children embark on a series of wonderful adventures, traveling to ancient Egypt, Norman Eng
Ivan
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is very much like Five Children and It by E. Nesbit and Half Magic by Edward Eager though I liked it more. It was episodic (which isn't always my favorite), but the adventures seemed well thought out and the children protagonists were well written. I think I'd have liked this even more had I read it prior to the other two. So, this book follows a bit of a formula, but it does it with style and ingenuity (it isn't a copy or rip-off in any way). I recommend it.
Laurel
Jan 17, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was funny for me to discover a book like this that I missed as a kid. It shares so much with my favorite childhod books-- Eager, Nesbit, Lewis-- and I enjoyed it a lot. But it misses some of the humor, and also some of the complexity. It falls just a little short.

One thing I enjoyed, while reading it, was thinking about how we follow rules for POV in kidlit today that older authors didn't seem to bother with. I found this book swooped into the minds of all the characters in a somewhat inconsi
Kristina
I don't even know - couldn't guess - how many times I took this book out of the library when I was a kid. It went home with me over, and over and over again. It's actually a little disturbing to me to hold it in a brand-new paperback instead of in the worn library-bound hardcover that I cherished as a child - but I'm thrilled that it's back in print.

I grew up waiting for magic on every corner. My favourites were this lovely little book from Hilda Lewis, ANYTHING by E. Nesbit, and of course, all
Sonia
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A childhood favorite. I think I read and reread this book over a dozen times from the age of 9-12.
Mary JL
Nov 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone!
During a snowy week in winter, my 5th grade teacher read this book to our class during the noon recess as we were not allowed out (too cold).

I was nine. I enjoyed it so much after the teacher finished it, I checked it out of the library and re-read it. Several times in the next two years.

It is a wonderful magic and time travel fantasy, originally published in England in 1939. Later, the US edition come out in 1958.

In an old curio shop, Peter buys a small toy boat for "all the money he has in the
Christine
Jul 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in middle school while waiting for the next Harry Potter. If you are able to find a copy of it in a library or a thrift store, grab it because it's amazing! It's similar to The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe in that there are four children and they go on adventures. Let's just say the ship also brought me to places and times as I read it. Quite an incredibly fantasy book that will certainly stir up your imagination!
Eugene
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stumbled across this in a secondhand bookshop and what a find! Brilliant. Ingenious. Imaginative. Had I read it as a child I have no doubt it would still be one of my favourite books! The way the author wraps it up is particularly lovely (giving nothing away!).
Yuma
May 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who can read
Recommended to Yuma by: my dad told me, and lent it to me.
my dad couldnt get it in america so he ordered it all the way from england
its very good
its about 4 children
the oldest stumbles into a store hes never seen
he buys a goat with everything he has and a little bit more
they go to different times, and different locations.
they meet different people
make friends but as they expierence a different adventure they learn something new about the boat.
Zowie Barham
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The epitome of escapism. I used to read my school's copy of this at least once a month as a child, and will never forget my excitement when it was republished and I got my own copy.
This timeless classic proves that a good children's story doesn't need teenage angst, dating or vampires room provide entertainment.
Amber Scaife
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
A young boy finds a magic toy boat in a magic shop, and he and his brother and two sisters have all sorts of adventures flying through time in it.
I loved it. A predecessor to The Magic Treehouse books, but much better. I love that the boat turns out to be Frey's, and the encounters between the kids and the Norse gods are great. Definitely recommended.
Teresa
Apr 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Loved this book as a child. I have spent years trying to find it because I could not remember the title or author. Finally found it on Good Reads! I just reread it. Not quite as good as I remembered which is interesting because there are many childhood books that I still appreciate. However I still love the idea of ship that can take you any place in the world or time.
Han
Nov 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A formative childhood book.
The line "All the money in the world and a little bit more" has never left me as a concept, and I am always on the look out for small cluttered curio shops that have always been there yet have never seen before.
Marlene De leeuw-cain
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I can' remember where I got this book. I own it in hard cover. It has traveled the world with me. I read it to my children when they were small. I hope to read it to my grand children. The grand adventures of the four children made every chapter anticipated.
Fiona Sumner
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved it as a child and one of the most most (mis- ?)quoted phases in my vocabulary is 'All the money you have in the world plus a bit more..' I still see funny little shops in old back lanes and wonder....
Dying to read it again
Peter P-t
Sep 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an old favourite of mine, given to me by my English grandmother as a child. My son, just turned eight years old, loves it. We're on our third or fourth reading of the book.
Nancy
Nov 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Delightful! Kids have adventures with a magical ship. 1939 Great Britain
Hk
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the first novel I read that really captured my imagination and fostered my love of reading. I'd love to find a hard copy of it
Child960801
Sep 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
I first read this as a kid and it's still a favourite.
Paul Allen
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First read this at school in 1972. Out of print for decades. Then republished and now a treasured book. Great time travel story using a magic Viking ship. Brilliant story for 10+ upwards.
Joyce
Nov 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: age 4+
a magical historical fiction, time travel--deliciously imaginative...I don't think the other titles that popped up are by the same Hilda Lewis though (the Harlot Queen?)
P.S. Winn
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a magical adventure great for kids, young adults and even adults. A bit like Peter Pan the magical ship takes kids into amazing journeys.
Jaylene

• Halinka
  • The Swish of the Curtain
  • Bijna iedereen kon omvallen
  • Clorofila del Cielo Azul
  • Something's Fishy, Hazel Green (Hazel Green, #2)
  • The Fairy Tales Of Madame d'Aulnoy
  • The Cuckoo Clock
  • Uncle
  • Arizona (Lucky Luke, #3)
  • A Hundred Million Francs (Le Cycle de Louvigny, #1)
  • The 18th Emergency
  • Marcelino Pan Y Vino
Hilda Winifred Lewis (née Maizels, 1896-1974) was a British writer.

She wrote a noted children's book, The Ship that Flew (1939) which concerns Norse mythology and time travel. It was republished in the Oxford Children's Modern Classics series in 1998. Her three YA books, including the well-received The Gentle Falcon, are available for Kindle and iBooks.
Several of her historical novels, e.g. I am M
“Earth and fire and water and air
We solemnly promise, we solemnly swear
Not a word, not a hint, not a sound to declare
Earth and fire and water and air!”
3 likes