Start by marking “The Overworked American: The Unexpected Decline Of Leisure” as Want to Read:
The Overworked American: The Unexpected Decline Of Leisure

The Overworked American: The Unexpected Decline Of Leisure

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  298 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
This pathbreaking book explains why, contrary to all expectations, Americans are working harder than ever. Juliet Schor presents the astonishing news that over the past twenty years our working hours have increased by the equivalent of one month per year—a dramatic spurt that has hit everybody: men and women, professionals as well as low-paid workers. Why are we—unlike eve ...more
Published March 3rd 1992 by Basic Books (first published January 28th 1957)

To ask other readers questions about The Overworked American, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Overworked American

Carl Webb
Feb 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: labor-history
This book inspired me to be that slacker that I am.
Stephany
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As others have mentioned, this book feels dated because it was written in the late 1990s. Fortunately, the author has published similarly themed books more recently. Reading this book now just makes it seem like more of a harbinger. It also has me wondering what carrots employers will dangle to get us to work long hours when we're no longer dependent on them for health care in the very near future.

This book is important because it drives the point home about how much has been taken from us in t
corky
May 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Should be required reading. How and why the 8 hour day and 40 hour week are kiling our society and our selves.
JP
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Overworked American is an incredible work of academic inspection that is totally relatable to the general public, and which touches on topics and issues that most of us - if not all of us - can identify with.

At the risk of vastly oversimplifying this book, Schor argues these things:

- Americans work more than they need to.
- Americans work more than they want to.
- Americans aren't getting more leisure time as time passes, but in fact are receiving less.
- Business elites are to blame for this^
Willa
Jun 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
I read another one by the same author, called The Overspent American, and I found it worthwhile, so that is why I picked up this one, especially because of the subtitle. The decline of leisure is an interesting subject to me. The author does her homework and makes a good composite picture of the signs of the times. What I noticed upon reading this is that her politics tend to get in the way of her analysis. I almost felt like I was reading a book by two people -- one scholarly, careful and perce ...more
Kris
Apr 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: econ
Great book. She talks a lot about materialism/consumerism, work/family issues, and how to get out of the cycle of "work and spend", from a progressive economist's viewpoint. There's a good history of the work week, dating back to medieval Europe (and beyond that, though with much less precision in her estimates). It's a bit dated (1992), but if the stats on working hours were updated, she could pretty much leave everything else alone and it would still be relevant to today. One of the fine econo ...more
Brent Neal
The Overworked American is a well-researched, but dense economic history of the our struggle with the tradeoff between time and money. What really makes this book shine is the data in the latter chapters of the book that discuss the implications of the recent research that shows the broad preference for Americans to receive more free time rather than more money as part of their compensation rise. I also found her framing of the conflict between the labor movement of the early 20th century and bu ...more
leighcia
Aug 10, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
An approachable, mostly statistics-based analysis on American work habits over the past century. Schor demonstrates that Americans work hours, both at home and at the workplace, have increased. Though most households have appliances such as washing machines and microwaves designed to save time, Americans now spend more or the same amount of time on housework as they did before. And generally speaking, most employees will prefer higher pay as compensation rather than more flexible or reduced hour ...more
Eva
Mar 05, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
A bit too broad, too long, and a little out of date (early 90s). But some interesting quotes from before I stopped reading:

U.S. manufacturing employees currently work 320 more hours--the equivalent of over two months--than their counterparts in West Germany or France. - location 80

Yet with all these labor-saving innovations, no labor has been saved. Instead, housework expanded to fill the available time. Norms of cleanliness rose. Standards of mothering grew more rigorous. - location 166

If you n
Les Wolf
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A ground-breaking study on working America that is well-researched and practical. The author traces the history of work from the Middle Ages to modern day and presents arguments from all sides. I learned interesting facts about work habits and our culture that are highly relevant to life, health and happiness but were never mentioned in any text or lecture during my four years as a business major.
This book is a launching pad into new areas of research in the fields of sociology, psychology and e
Elizabeth Lund
As other reviewers have noted, the statistics in this book, though dated at this point, are fascinating. However, if I read it right, the number of hours per week that Americans worked increased only slightly in the time period she studied--the real increase was in the number of weeks they worked, and she never really explained or speculated on the reasons for this. All I can think of is that it was because of a shift in the types of jobs people hold--in the 60s, maybe more people were still in ...more
Selkie
Apr 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting reading, but would be more so if there were not burdened down with so many statistics.
Being a bestseller, one would think this would have been a "call-to-arms" to bring the unions back, bud sadly over fifteen years later the lack of time off has decreased even more. I know at my job it is less than one day then even last year, & that they wanted to take Independence day away from us this year (& already have it on the agenda to so do next year). Is this what our country has
Robert
I thought it was informative and depressing; depressing because most US workers are still obsessed with the outdated "Puritan" work ethic and endless consumption. US workers - especially those who have time, like the unemployed - need to read this book. As our economy continues to be radically reshaped, and we wonder what our future work lives may be, this book presents a compelling argument to reduce our average working hours/days/months and re-invest in our families and communities.
Andi
A very informative and interesting book. It made me far more aware of the business cycles that are around me. This is a great read.

I notice that unlike, Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich, this book has not generated a lot of debate and commentary. I think that is rather sad, because although this book is well written, I only presents one side of a story. A unique side, to be sure, but not the only side.
Eric Bell
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aside from being a bit old, this book takes a comprehensive look at modern working habits and compares that with several key points in history. Several oof the ideas suggested by the author for limiting overwork are effective. In the end, the author calls for a greater appreciation and more meaningful use of leisure time.
Melissa
May 15, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book discussed the development of our economic system over the past 200 years or so and how it has resulted in our current state of almost constant work and lack of leisure time. Also touches on the "disappearance" of house work as real work.
Carla JFCL
This is dated now, but still has a lot of interesting points - some of which I agree with and some I don't. There was in some cases too much repetition of certain points and not enough "fleshing out" of others, which is why I only gave it three stars.
Leslie Edwards
fantastic deconstruction of how our American working culture has gotten into it's current mess. it will make you think twice about all the plastic shit your're buying, whether you really need it, and whether you really want to work more to be able to have it.
Malcolm
An excellent analysis of the demands on working people, the decline in workers' wellbeing, and way that we get sucked into our own oppression, backed up with scholarly research, clear argument, insightful analysis.
Jeff Doucette
Dec 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An urgent clarion call for everyone to just chill out before the American experiment goes irreversibly awry. Really. Just chill out, everybody.
Harry Klinkhamer
Although a bit dated, this book shows how American society chose consumerism over relaxation as the benefit of modernization.
Lawrence
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
recommended by robin chase
Seth
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read it a long time ago in college. I remember liking it.
William
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The work day needs to be cut IN HALF! Read this to find out why!
April
May 11, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
tech made us work..common sense
Oma Eagle
Feb 07, 2016 rated it liked it
I have 1991 edition
Kate
Confirmation, as if you need any, that you're working too hard.
Matilda
Jan 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: political, economics
I love Juliet Schor. All her books should be required reading.
Kaethe
Feb 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Clear, lucid sociology showing how the personal is political.
Kathely
I liked the overall theme of this book, but disagreed with the proposed government healthcare system...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Take Back Your Time: Fighting Overwork and Time Poverty in America
  • The End of Work
  • The Conquest of Cool: Business Culture, Counterculture, and the Rise of Hip Consumerism
  • Why Things Bite Back: Technology and the Revenge of Unintended Consequences
  • When Work Disappears: The World of the New Urban Poor
  • The Coming of Post-Industrial Society: A Venture in Social Forecasting
  • Alternatives to Economic Globalization: A Better World Is Possible
  • Regulating the Poor: The Functions of Public Welfare
  • The Democracy Project: A History, a Crisis, a Movement
  • Race, Reform, and Rebellion: The Second Reconstruction in Black America, 1945-1990
  • The Closing Circle: Nature, Man and Technology
  • The Making of Global Capitalism: The Political Economy Of American Empire
  • Why Americans Hate Welfare: Race, Media, and the Politics of Antipoverty Policy
  • Stuck in Place: Urban Neighborhoods and the End of Progress toward Racial Equality
  • The New Industrial State
  • An American Dilemma: The Negro Problem and Modern Democracy Vol. 1
  • The Hidden Injuries of Class
  • The Predator State: How Conservatives Abandoned the Free Market and Why Liberals Should Too
Juliet Schor’s research over the last ten years has focussed on issues pertaining to trends in work and leisure, consumerism, the relationship between work and family, women's issues and economic justice. Schor's latest book is Born to Buy: The Commercialized Child and the New Consumer Culture (Scribner 2004). She is also author of The Overworked American: The Unexpected Decline of Leisure and The ...more
More about Juliet B. Schor...