Start by marking “The Season (The Debutantes #2)” as Want to Read:
The Season (The Debutantes #2)

The Season

(Debutantes #2)

Portia and Emily meet to launch their daughters on an unsuspecting Society for the London Season of 1913. Both are determined that their offspring, Phyllis and Edith, will catch the eye of their friend May's son, a future Duke. If that were all, the Season would be a relatively simple affair, but since Portia is recently widowed and Emily is away from her husband, life is ...more
Published March 19th 2001 by Bantam (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Season

Start your review of The Season (The Debutantes #2)
CLM
In this sequel to Debutantes, the women who made their entry to society together are now sheparding the next generation, although with the exception of May (born on the wrong side of the blanket and thus of low blood, which perhaps explains why she is the nicest character, the mothers are not sensible enough to behave with propriety and their English daughters are unkind to the American heiress making her debut.

The characters did not have much personality but I couldn't help resenting that Sarah
Amy
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Re read. Pure delicious escapism.

(But WHY do cover designers insist on using photos with dresses that are completely wrong for the time period? She's got a bustle, and the book is set in the 1910s, 30ish years after both the periods when bustles were in fashion in the 1880s. Like having a world war two family saga with a woman in a 1970s minidress or flares or something.)
Ria
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An engaging novel set just after the turn of the century in 1913 when the London "Season" was still swinging.
Enter Portia and Emily mothers who are just about to launch their daughters Phyllis and Edith to the world.
But then they are up against competition, although considered too tall to be beautiful Sarah Hartley Lambert an American heiress is the protege of Portia and Emily's enemy, Daisy Lanford and as rivals she is determined as a professional at launching girls into the season to beat bot
Sharleena Bramley
Feb 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Charlotte Bingham is one of my favourite romance type author, but this book was a bit of a disappointment to me. I just seemed to drag on for too long, and I found it very hard to finish reading it. I only did so by forcing myself to sit down and read it for the day!

Although this is the case, there were good things about the book. The storyline was interesting - based around once-upon a time mothers living vicariously through their children, and the character building within the story was also
Windy
Sep 18, 2009 rated it it was ok
Wow. I found myself questioning my taste in books as this one dragggggged on and on and on. A group of older ladies living vicariously through the younger girls through the English Season. I can read the driest of dry stories, but this one left me bored.
Danielle Pederson
Jun 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If you love Jane Austen or Georgette Heyer you'll love this book! It took a look at the London Season from a variety of different viewpoints and I loved how many wonderful different romances there were!

Ranked #8 in my top 10 romance list
Charlaralotte
Apr 27, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2009
Some interesting details of Edwardian life in London during debutante season. Otherwise, a swift, relatively painless, and completely undemanding read. Wonder why it hasn't been made into a movie yet...perhaps because there's not much suspense. More soap opera-y.
Robin Rowe
Aug 09, 2012 rated it liked it
This book was good. But not as heart wrenching as The Debutants.
Louise
Jul 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Delightful read!!!
Sharon
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I adored every single superbly written paragraph of this delightful story.
Janice

• In a Kingdom by the Sea
  • Another Life
  • The Parisians
  • I'd Know You Anywhere
  • Destiny's Path (The Swan River Saga, #3)
  • Millie (The Marsh Sagas, #1)
  • Rose Alley
  • Christmas at the Chateau (The Marsh Sagas, #1.5)
  • To Gain What's Lost
  • Charity Girl
  • Under a Sardinian Sky
  • Cotillion
  • Deck the Halls
  • The Starlight Ball (Hall's Cross Book 2)
  • Threepenny Dreams (Irish Sisters, #3)
The Honourable Charlotte Mary Thérèse Bingham was born on 29 June 1942 in Haywards Heath, Sussex, England, UK. Her father, John Bingham, the 7th Baron Clanmorris, wrote detective stories and was a secret member of MI5. Her mother, Madeleine Bingham, née Madeleine Mary Ebel, was a playwright. Charlotte first attended a school in London, but from the age of seven to 16, she went to the Priory of Our ...more

Debutantes (2 books)