Start by marking “Wicked Rake, Defiant Mistress” as Want to Read:
Wicked Rake, Defiant Mistress

Wicked Rake, Defiant Mistress

3.32  ·  Rating details ·  464 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews

When a mysterious woman holds him at gunpoint, Garrick Le Clere, Marquess of Beauworth, knows he's finally met his match!
With her home lost to creditors, Lady Eleanor Hadley has been forced to take drastic steps. She's without hope--until the notorious rake offers a way out of her predicament....
Garrick soon discovers that his new mistress is a virgin, and a lady--with a
Published May 1st 2010 by Harlequin Special Releases (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Wicked Rake, Defiant Mistress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wicked Rake, Defiant Mistress

Noelle
Dec 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure what to expect with this story. I knew the plot was familiar, Lady down on her luck and ends up mistress to the Lord, and never have read anything from Ann Lethbridge before I kinda expected a kind of cookie cutter story. That was not at all how this book turned out. She took the familiar theme and then made it fresh and exciting. I know I will be looking for more of her books and if I had paid money for this book I would have thought that I surely had gotten my moneys worth.

Eleano
Grace Jones
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed it :) not as risque as expecting but had a very well developed plot - 4 stars
LaFleurBleue
Another disappointing freebie.
Not really bad, not poorly written but not really good either.
Both characterization and timelines seemed off to me. Let's start with the characterization. The hero is supposedly a rake. However he's just 24, sometimes behaves as if he just turned 18 and his main achievement to confirm his rake reputation is not having had a relationship for more than 3 months. At 24, it did not seem that weird to me and certainly not enough to warrant such a fake moniker and reputat
Jassna Sammel
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Das Buch hatte alles was ich mir von einem Buch aus diesem Genre erhofft habe. Und der Schreibstil von Ann Lethbridge war sehr gut.
Bree T
Traveling back to his family pile, Garrick Le Clere, aka the Marquess of Beauworth is held up by a highwayman…err, woman. Forced to hand over his expensive personal items, a price he paid for stepping out of the coach without a weapon, Garrick cannot help but be taken in by the woman who is clearly emulating a figure in history. Playing up to that, Garrick steals a kiss before her sidekick puts him down.

Eleanor Hadley has been forced by circumstances outside of her control to attempt to acquire
Karyn Gerrard
Jan 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will state right up front, this is a cracking good read, I could not put it down, I read it all in almost one sitting. The action begins right out of the gate, when bored, young, idle and reckless rake Garrick Le Clare, is held up by a robber, a woman no less! Before she can steal his valuables, Garrick steals a passionate kiss. He is knocked out by her accomplice, ( a soldier friend of her late father's) and when Garrick comes to, he feels foolish. He wants to find this woman, who set him on ...more
Erica Chilson
Not a true DNF, more of an on-hold, so I will not rate at this time.

I will leave the paperback sitting by me to read at a later date when I'm more relaxed. I believe the story itself will be entertaining and intriguing, but I am having a difficult time actually reading the book. I was looking for a few hours of mindless entertainment, and this title was making it feel more like work.

my issues with this title:

1: Writing style.

2: Author's voice.

3: The use of 'single' quotation marks- or as the
Sania
Standalone/Cliffhanger: Standalone
Multi-Luv'n/Ménages: (view spoiler)
Was There Descriptive Sex: (view spoiler)
Descriptive Sex &/Or Drama Between H/h With OW/OM: (view spoiler)
>>If So, Before or After H/h Hookup: (view spoiler)
Contains Cheating: (view spoiler)
Amount of Sex In The Book: (view spoiler)
HEA/HFN/etc Ending: (view spoiler)
Wendy
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Ann Lethbridge novel I have read and I was not disappointed. The opening chapter pulled me in 'The anger burning in the Marquess of Beauworth's throat tasted of bile and bitter regret. While the horses thundered through shadows and moonlit tracts of rolling Sussex landscape, Garrick fought the urge to turn back for London.'
This is how I love to begin a book, Ms Lethbridge immediately had my interest and I wanted to know why! If the first page grabs me, I'm hooked.
Garrick Le Cle
Kelly
This was one of those frothy historical romances that are fast and fun to read. Garrick and Ellie were interesting characters, although I did want to give Ellie a swift kick to the petticoats when she continually put everybody else's wants above her own.

My only complaint was that I wanted to see more of the Le Clere curse that haunted Garrick's family. It's mentioned several times but for something that's defined Garrick's life so completely it's kinda glossed over at the end. Seriously, with th
Rachell Nichole
Wow - what a ride.
Lethbridge knows how to put her characters through the paces and dish out the drama. Lady Eleanor, after losing her family's money, is bent on gaining it back before her twin William returns from war. So she dons a mask and a scabbard and patrols the highways late at night to steal what she can to help her sister and herself survive. One night, she holds up the wrong man. Garrick, Marquess of Beauworth (the wicked rake).

The two set upon a wild, curving ride. They're both so s
Gail
The heroine is so desperate for money that she's taken to robbing coaches like a highwayman--or the local legendary highway-woman. The hero is one of the guys she robs, and he's attracted, but vows vengeance. Then he meets the heroine in town, out of her robber garb, and thinks she's lovely and innocent. The double-identity foolery doesn't last too long, but the discovery of the truth lets all sorts of things go. The heroine's brother is a mortal enemy of the hero and causes trouble. Other stran ...more
Kimm
Oct 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I acquired this book through Mills & Boons as part of their free book giveaway.

Lady Eleanor, or Ellie, plays the role of highway robber. Garrick is her victim. Of course, he doesn’t know that fact when he meets her later. He’s momentarily caught up between two women that occupy his thoughts—until he reconciles them as being one and the same.

This story is very mainstream and perhaps a little cookie-cutter like in terms of Regencies. But, it’s well written and provides an enjoyable way to pas
Summerita Rhayne
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The beginning was really grab -your-throat type intriguing. It wasn't very clear why the heroine had to take the very desperate steps and lie all the time but still the author generated enough interest to hook the reader. As I read on, I realised that every time the story settled, a fresh, quite unforeseen twist was added. This worked to quite an extent but also took the story far away from its original fresh idea. Sometimes one did feel like shaking some sense into the characters but on the who ...more
Sam Wilkinson
Firstly, this one was a quick read, it kept me engaged & although I would have preferred the plot focus more on the Napoleonic war, which does play a significant party in the plot, but then I'm a fab if Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe novel so, take that with a pinch of salt if you aren't!

The basic premise is that a Lady disguises herself as a highway man & holds up the carriage of a Marquis, whose mistress she later becomes, albeit temporarily.

It's not bad, but it's also not one that I am lik
A.M.
Nov 07, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
One of Mills & Boons Everybody's Reading free giveaways. In her brother's absence, Lady Eleanor Hadley turns to robbing to repay her family's debts until she stops the wrong carriage and robs the Marquess of Beauworth. The attraction's instant, and soon the Marquess turns the tables on her.

While the story promises an ass-kicking heroine, Ellie -- after her brief stint as a highwaywoman -- has little control over the events that happen and is relegated to obeying the commands of her brother.
Sabrina
Interesting premise, but poorly executed.

The idea of a noblewoman making her life as a thief was what initially got my attention. I thought this was going to be a story of a wealthy and yet immoral couple, who lived by the means of thievery just because.
Just too bad that Eleanor's personality resembles more of an impulsive teenager rather than a skilled thief.
Skills. ha. Her wish.

Yeah, The angst horny hero didn't help either.

The writing is alright, albeit way too sappy for my liking. Lost intere
Sam
Dec 20, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

It's not bad, but it's also not one that I am lik
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy Ann lethbridge historical books. This book has everything scandal romance family issues and love HEA. I like that Ellie is strong independent woman that without her brother is trying to keep her family from being homeless. Her plan not great but is funny at times. I really like the relationship between Ellie and Garrick it's not perfect but works for them. Love sissy and dan hope they get it together.
C.P. Mandara
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Historical romances... I admit it, I love them. Here we have Garrick as the 'wicked rake' and he plays his part dashingly well - and Ellie as the 'defiant mistress.'

Garrick I fell in love with from the word go, and Ellie was rather wonderful as Lady Moonlight... Prim and proper one moment, naughty and full of devilment the next.

All in all a lovely romp through the 19th century England, with textured characters and a deliciously wonderful HEA.

Thoroughly enjoyed myself :)
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A.L. Butcher
I liked this as a short read, however there were a few formatting a typo issues- Castlefield and Beauworth seemed to get hyphenated in odd ways however this could have been the kindle format. Overall an enjoyable, if stock read. The characters were fun but perhaps in a longer book more could have been done. The villain was suitably unpleasant if his motives were a little vague.

Would recommend this as an easy read for the genre.
Natasha Chowdory
Actually ok.
There was a story that spanned a time period and had a few other characters and a hint of intrigue. The main character started out being pretty decent and then rapidly fell into standard patterns. Nice length too. It didn't hold my attention though which is why I kept coming back to it in fits and starts - like a pudding you want to finish but it's actually not as tasty as you thought.
Harriet
Apr 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, regency
Freebie. 2.5 stars. The author managed to cram a lot into a short novel. The heroine and hero meet as Eleanor attempts at being a highwaywoman in order to try and save her family's estate from debt. More hijinks and heartbreak ensue, mostly because Garrick and Eleanor aren't always truthful with each other.

Noticed a few typos.
Becky Black
Mar 11, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-f, historical
Amber Meller
I liked it and was well thought out, but there were too many kidnappings for my liking. Even if they were expecting a child and if the husband is believed to be dead. It seemed a little complex and some of the people disappeared and came with too big a gap for the length of the story. other than that it was a good story.
Kate Davis
Nov 07, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010, ebook, fiction
This is a free Mills and Boon ebook you can download from their site http://www.everyonesreading.com/

Ok, its a Mills and Boon book, but I was expecting more. Neither of the characters live up to their descriptions of rake or defiant and although as expected, things don't go smoothly, everything seems to sort it self out too easily.
Tasneem
Feb 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency
This was a quick easy read for a Saturday morning. I enjoyed the romance, the passion and the plot. I really felt for both Garrick and Ellie and they were real people with real feelings. I did think that Le Clere was a bit too much the bastard, especially since his evil was topped off by him also selling information to the French. But a good read.
LuvGirl
The premise of this book seemed like it would have been interesting since it was stated on the back that the heroine was going to be the hero's mistress before the inevitable marriage, but she turned out to be the hero's mistress for one chapter only before he was proposing marriage, and the storyline was not engaging enough to keep my attention as the mistress theme was the allure for me.
Mzpastrychef
This was just an ok Book for me.. I liked the character Ellie...Garrick should have stood up for her sooner but I understand he had to get his uncle.. but like I said It was ok...I probably will read additional books by this author.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 28, 2015 10:04AM
  • Colorado Abduction (Christmas at the Carlisles, #1)
  • Wedding at King's Convenience (Kings of California, #6)
  • Dangerous Lord, Innocent Governess (Belston & Friends #2)
  • The Rogue's Disgraced Lady (The Notorious St Claires, #3)
  • How To Marry a Rake
  • Married to a Stranger
  • The Shy Duchess
  • Exposed: Misbehaving with the Magnate (Hot Bed of Scandal #1)
  • Unmasking the Duke's Mistress (Gentlemen of Disrepute #1)
  • One Unashamed Night (Wellinghams, #2)
  • Bound to the Barbarian (Palace Brides #1)
  • Bought: Destitute Yet Defiant
  • Secret Life of a Scandalous Debutante
  • Scandalizing The Ton
  • The Braddock Boys: Cody
AKA Michèle Ann Young (Goodreads Author)

An army brat born in England and now living in Canada, Ann grew up loving history, but majored in business, with history on the side. She has a husband and two lovely daughters and a Maltese Terrier called Teaser, who likes to sit on a chair beside the computer while she works.

Her love of the past and the stories in her imagination led her to write her first
More about Ann Lethbridge...