Start by marking “The Seashell Anthology of Great Poetry” as Want to Read:
The Seashell Anthology of Great Poetry

Read Book* *Different edition

The Seashell Anthology of Great Poetry

Now with touch screen navigation for Kindle Fire and iPad. The best collection of English and American classics -- new and old. A perfect introduction for those new to poetry, as well as a great selection of old favorites for poetry lovers everywhere.

Release 2.0 with fully interactive Kindle contents and expanded index. Readers can link from any poem to other poems by
Published (first published April 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Seashell Anthology of Great Poetry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seashell Anthology of Great Poetry

Start your review of The Seashell Anthology of Great Poetry
Gary George
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Marvelous. A tonic for a bad day.
revcodes
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a diverse collection of favorite poets from Carl Sandburg to Chaucer organized into eleven interesting sections such as "Creation" and "What Lips My Lips". It's on my Kindle and even though I've read the entire 349 pages a couple of times, I am always delighted to read poems such as "Digging" by Seamus Heaney, "The Song of the Wandering Aengus" by William Butler Yeats, "One Art" by Elizabeth Bishop and many, many others.
Jon-Paul
Jan 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've marked this book as read, but, really, a book like this is never truly finished. It's the kind of thing you just keep reading and if you own a Kindle this is one of the best poetry anthologies out there for it.
Jesse Field
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inexpensive addition to your Kindle collection -- I keep this on my phone!

“Like a seashell held your year, a poem resonates to the beating of your heart, matching the designs of its inner chamber to the contours of your mind.” So opens Christopher Burns on this anthology of favorites. Like Martin Gardner’s Best Remembered Poems, this collection is full of old warhorses, much of it written in traditional meter or else highly disciplined free verse, making it a wonderful introduction to
Robin Christophersen
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Loved this collection.

A book I will keep and return to often. In particular, enjoyed how the poems are classified. Be sure to read the forward to understand intent of how the anthology is organized .
John Cain
Oct 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this collection. Most of the poets I knew and some were new to me. I read the book over several weeks. I read a poem or two each morning.

Angela
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing. Captivating. Beautiful. Heartbreaking. All the things.
theo
Sep 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-for-school, own
i didn't read all of this bc we were using it as a textbook and we stopped but yeah what i read was pretty good. maybe ill revisit the rest later when school work isnt coming out my ass
Nina Meade
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nina-s-books
I loved this selection of poems. It was wide ranging and beautiful.
Cynthia Oliver
Feb 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Good, not great

I would say this is average far as anthologies go. Fair selections but I've definitely read better. Good, not great.
Eric Steere
Sep 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Thank you Burns. There are better collections out there for sure, but I like the inclusion of so many contemporary authors, and especially glad to see a collection that isn't demonstrably politically correct WASP-y. THis anthology doesn't apologize. Glad to see Sandburg along the likes of Creeley, too much Langston Hughes, Sexton, and where is T. Hughes? The possiblities of an anthology are of course limited, I don't recommend this anthology and would instead recommend shorter more pointed ...more
Nicole Michelle
May 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won this book through a goodreads giveaway.

This is the ultimate collection for the long-time poetry lover or for those who are just "dipping their toes in the pond". I read old favorites and undiscovered gems. I finished the book in two day but have since carried it around with me everywhere. I even read a poem or two a night to my thirteen year old daughter who I found shares my affinity to Romantics. I wholeheartedly recommend this book to anyone, anywhere at anytime; the words within have
Julie
Apr 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All readers
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway. The introduction is well written and charming. The anthology is arranged thematically rather than chronologically. Reading this book taught me a little about myself. It has been 31 years (yikes!) since I got my B.A. in English, and in the years since I have indulged in the luxury of only reading poets I like. This anthology reminded me of the scope of poetry and its themes.
Cathy
Jan 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, kindle
Wow, this is an amazingly good collection! Burns is a great anthologist -- the poems are arranged so that they reflect or comment on each other.

I bought it for the Kindle -- I probably have a quarter or more of the poems already in various physical books, but this lets me carry them along wherever I go. I don't usually read poetry anthologies straight through, from cover to cover, but this one I did.
James
May 31, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
So far the good poems are sparse, but I am not far into the book. All are well written, but much of the substance is questionable. The first poem is on how God created the world because he was bored. Not very illuminating, and quite untrue if one is consulting special revelation. However, I would be pleased to find at least 20 gems in this anthology. I suspect that I will. I will share them as I do.
Shannan
Mar 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, 2010
One of the best anthologies I've read. The chapter on love poems was my favorite because they included the dark poems one seldom reads about love and relationships that were sometimes funny sometimes sad but always very very true.
Victoria Slotto
Apr 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The is a "best of" collection that I keep handy on my Kindle at all times. The anthology features renowned poets of the English language and is a must-have for all writers and readers of poetry. If you are a poet, dip into it when you're feeling stuck. The poems are organized by theme.
Tom
Jun 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent collection - one of the first books to go on my kindle. Great for dipping
Kevin Albrecht
Jul 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, poetry
I've always been skeptical of poetry collections, but this one is so well collected and organized that I can't help but love it.
Darren
Jun 06, 2014
Maayan Yablonova
Feb 27, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• The Best of Poetry: Thoughts that Breathe and Words that Burn (In Two Hundred Poems)
  • Vineland
  • Let Them Eat Chaos
  • Arguably: Selected Essays
  • Cautionary Tales
  • On the Plain of Snakes: A Mexican Journey
  • Titus Groan (Gormenghast, #1)
  • Titus Alone (Gormenghast, #3)
  • An Autumn Wind
  • Six Centuries of English Poetry from Tennyson to Chaucer: Typical Selections from the Great Poets (1892)
  • White Egrets
  • The Collector Collector
Christopher Burns (Ipswich, MA) has been a news executive and an independent consultant to government and the private sector for thirty years, advising clients on emerging information management technologies and the evolution of the information economy. His previous positions include vice president of the Washington Post Company; senior vice president of the Minneapolis Star and Tribune; executive ...more