Start by marking “The Heretic (Templar Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Heretic (Templar Chronicles, #1)

The Heretic

(Templar Chronicles #1)

Boston SWAT officer Cade Williams didn't believe in the supernatural until a chance meeting with a fallen angel left his wife dead and him hanging on to life by the thinnest of margins. When he was discharged from the hospital he discovered that not only was he scarred, body and soul, but that the encounter had left him with a few otherworldly talents of his own.

Now,
Published March 8th 2010 by Harbinger Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Heretic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heretic

Start your review of The Heretic (Templar Chronicles, #1)
Ilona Andrews
’ve been struggling with edits, and when that happens, I usually start really hating all things in my genre. I’ve tried a couple of PNR books, and for some reason both turned out to be very much paint-by-numbers. He is a big well-hung uber alpha male. She is vampire/werewolf/hybrid/angel. He must have her. They bang. They bang some more. Snoozefest.

So I wanted something different and this is different. It has absolutely no romance. It follows the modern knights Templar, who are battling
Maria Dimitrova

A great start for a series, The Heretic introduces us to a new urban fantasy world filled with demons, specters and other supernatural beings. Knight Commander Cade Williams aka the Heretic and his Echo Team are an elite part of the Order of the Templars which is tasked with protecting mankind from all things supernatural. Cade is a strangely likeable character with his own peculiar charisma. Unlike most of the members of the Order he's not a blind believer and follower of rules and that makes
Irene
Jun 10, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: supernatural
This is the story of Cade Williams, a member of the modern Templar Knights, who, in this book, are the secret combat unit of the Catholic church. They are charged with protecting mankind from supernatural-type evil. Cade leads the Echo Team, a combat unit known for their effectiveness in getting the job done. Cade is known by other Templar Knights as "The Heretic," due to his seemingly strange powers and his apparent lack of faith.

Five years earlier, his home is attacked by some sort of powerful
Mike (the Paladin)
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm beginning to get a feel for Nassise I think. I like most of the books I've read by him. There always seems to be a little flaw somewhere that keeps me from giving them the complete 5 stars. That said they are fast moving, exciting and interesting. He deals with interesting topics and the books deal with it in a "storyteller's" fashion. They are for the most part what I call "brain candy" but that's okay...I like good brain candy.

This deals with the idea that the Knights Templar were secretly
Paula Howard
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Heretic by Joseph Nassise takes takes two old storylines evil and and the Church and mixes them into one fantastic story. The Knights Templar are alive and well and protection the Church from evil in form of paranormal creatures.

Cade Willimas is a member of the modern day Knights Templars. He isn't what one would expect from a Templar. He no longer is much of a believer and is referred to as the Heretic. His world fell apart after his wife, Gabbi, was killed by a fallen angel. Cade was nearly
Kelly
Jan 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
Joseph Nassise's Templar Chronicles series features a modern-day Knights Templar organization that battles the supernatural bad guys of the world. Its hero, Cade Williams, is a member of the Templars but has an uncanny reputation among the order for his psychic abilities. The Heretic is the first in the series and revolves around a cabal of sorcerers who is attacking Templar commanderies, slaughtering the members, and desecrating the cemeteries in search of a holy relic. Cade and his unit are ...more
David Caldwell
The Templars have become a secret organization that protects the world from supernatural threats. One of their members is known as the Heretic and is rumored to have strange powers. He and his team take on those cases when doing things strictly by the rules just won't cut it.

This story hit a lot of the buttons. A lot of action, a hero that can kick butt with some cool powers, and interseting bad guys. The writing is good and the plot flows well.

There are only a few negatives. A couple of scenes
megHan
Dec 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Funny thing about this book. I received it last week as an r2r and was so excited to receive this book - Knights Templar + Demons, I mean, how could I resist? - and when I went to Amazon today to add my review, I found out that I had already purchased this book (I had found it for free on Amazon at one point and grabbed it) and had completely forgotten that I had done so. No wonder I was so excited haha. This is actually the third book that I have done this to. I guess that's proof positive that ...more
Jacob Proffitt
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book isn't horrible. The writing is coherent and it has great action and the characters are very... manly. I just couldn't get into it and finally decided that my time was worth more than continuing the book (from about the 67% mark). Despite the urban fantasy setting (and my shelving it there), this book is much more a mens action-adventure novel (along the lines of Max Bolan or Remo Williams). The men are dedicated, capable, and well-trained and they dominate their paradigm in ...more
Andy Smith
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
I think I may have only managed to finish this book through a combination of it being really quite short and a hope that at some point it was going to get better. It didn't.

It isn't an awful book but I struggle to find anything to recommend it. The plot is very simplistic; there are no real surprises. There isn't a single notable female character in this book, and the male ones are one dimensional. There's a guy; he's a strong and silent type. He's been wronged and now he's going to put it right
E.A. Copen
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book sucked me in from the start, beginning with the brand new cover (not pictured). I'm always game for a more action oriented urban fantasy, especially one that doesn't focus on the same old same old types of plots. This one was different, but had some familiar flavors of urban fantasy.

The prose was solid, very stark, which I appreciate. There's no fat to trim plot wise as the story moves quickly from one event to the next with just enough time for the reader to process what's happening.
Ralph
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was a bit surprised by this one. The story synopsis had sounded to me like the author was trying to combine too many elements in a story: ancient angelic weapons/relics, fallen angels, paranormal abilities, Templars, and necromancy ... I am sure I am missing a few others things, too. But it was free (at least at the time) through Amazon, so I downloaded it, and I finally got around to reading it.

I wished I hadn't waited so long. Nassise does a great job of keeping my attention as the story
Cathy
Aug 22, 2016 marked it as pass-just-not-interested
Read a story in Urban Allies anthology where the thieves were just blown away by the Templars, not because they were threatened, but upon approach to their hideout and as a matter of course, totally casually and with no thought to other options. Is theft an executable offense? What gave them the right? Not interested in this series at all after that. Usually anthologies get me interested in authors, and I was a bit intrigued until that insane level of violence for no good reason.
Michael
Sep 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Did not know what to expect when I started, but I found it to be a very engaging story that was well written. Reminds me of Constantine.
Julie Smith (Knitting and Sundries)
Jun 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
The Knights Templar, thought to have been disbanded in the 14th century, are alive and well - reborn with a military hierarchy as an arm of the Vatican. Their new mission is to defend mankind from supernatural threats and enemies.

Knight Commander Cade Williams, known as "The Heretic", is head of the Echo Team, a highly specialized unit whose members each have unique "gifts". Cade had been a highly-decorated Massachusetts police officer and a member of Special Tactics. An attack that left Cade
Ginny Lurcock
Dec 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So Jena, my partner in crime over at Pure Textuality, has been on me to read Joseph Nassise for like … ever. (I don’t remember when, so I’m going with forever) but I never got around to it.

Now I feel like a total jerk.

What I liked:
Mr. Nassise writes a pretty story. Well, okay, the story itself is actually gritty and involves a fair amount of insides that are now on the outside … but the actual structure of the story is so damn pretty. The way he used specific words to build a story is just an
Oni
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller
This is a fast paced urban fantasy, with hints of Dan Brown all over it, plus the special ops cast. You can read it in one sitting if you wish, because there aren't any to keep you to read it deeper.

The plot is predictable from the beginning, including the twist. The theme is overexposed already, especially after many books following the bandwagon of Dan Brown's type. So it is not that interesting, I would say. The characters are pure machismo and also predictable. Strangely, with all that
Lisa
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Order of the Knights Templar has persisted in secrecy through the decades, fighting to protect humanity from otherworldly evils most people would rather not know exist. Cade Williams, one of the most obscure amongst the Order, is also the most enigmatic and unorthodox, instilling fear even amongst his fellows; however, he might be the only person capable of saving the world from an evil so powerful that it threatens to destroy the divide between reality and a realm known as the Otherworld.

I
Sam
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a fast paced thriller with a strong supernatural element. The Templars were reformed and now work as a mostly military arm alongside the Church, protecting humanity from lurking nasties. Cade Williams, AKA The Heretic, leads a team of Templars assigned to some of the more unpleasant jobs. He joined after his wife was brutally murdered by something otherworldly, an attack which left him with some terrible physical and emotional scars, and some rather unexpected abilities.

The story moved
Nancy
May 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cade Williams didn’t do orders; he also didn’t do Rules - especially when they got in the way of his job as a Knight Commander of the Templars. Cade didn’t start out that way but having your wife killed in front of you tends to change your outlook.
Sean Duncan headed up the Protectors group of the Templars and is in charge of care of the Preceptor for North America. They are in Connecticut to investigate a Templar group left in ruins, all dead who were there at the time of the event. How did the
Stephanie
I love a high stakes thriller with religious elements. The pacing of this story was consistent and it kept me interested, reading from beginning to end without many breaks.

The Heretic is a fairly run-of-the-mill religious thriller - the Catholic Church has an underground special ops group devoted to fighting back the darkness and keeping humanity safe; powerful religious artifacts are in danger of falling into the wrong hands. The story was decent, but the characterisation was not. Sadly, even
Tiki
Jan 13, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well this one is hard to rate...I almost stopped reading because it didn't really grab me until about half way through. that's a little late in the book for me, but I really hate to give up on anything! I'm glad I continued because it did get better. The last 25% of the book I really enjoyed. So I'm giving it a 3 (first half, a 2; second half a 4)

For me it was a pretty dry read in the beginning - didn't feel any emotional connection, and I enjoy the military aspects, but appreciate a little
Jana Brown
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
I picked this book up as a Kindle freebie, which generally means my expectations are fairly low, and was very pleasantly surprised. Heretic is a dark military urban fantasy. If you're looking for girls kick butt or vampire romance don't look here. Instead the focus is on the Knights Templar and their battle against sorcerers and demonic forces of the paranormal. It's not a perfect book, but it was a quick fun read and I'm intrigued enough by the plot and the characters to buy the rest of the ...more
Rick Taubold
Jun 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book very much. The characters are well defined, the story is very good, and the writing is good. Although the story isn't as good as The DaVinci Code (but how many books of this type are), it is superior in character development. The writing in a few spots was weak, but overall, it also surpassed DaVinci code (which had clean, but perfectly sterile prose). As some have mentioned, this book could have benefitted from better editing, but I didn't find it seriously lacking in that ...more
Aya
Dec 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Templar Chronicles: 1
This book suffers a bit from character bloat - the author introduces many side characters only for them to end up dead a few pages later. It's a little hard to tell who's important enough to keep track of. This book is pretty much entirely action, with teasing glimpses of character development. Carnage everywhere. High death toll in this story. There's a lot of POV switching, but with everything else going on, it's handled skillfully enough not to be an annoyance. At
Darcia Helle
This book sucked me in right from the beginning and held me there until the very end. The only thing I didn't like about this book was putting it down.

While The Heretic is about the Knights of Templar, a religious order, it is not preachy and does not force any particular belief on readers. The Heretic is nonstop action, a paranormal thriller filled with the intricacies of relationships, struggles with faith, love, vengeance and duty. The writing is vivid, the characters made me care and the
a cup of coffee and a fairytale
i received this book i exchange of an honest review.

this book is an interesting story of knights templars and church which deals with the super powers supernatural threats. this book is written very well. it will get you hooked from the first page itself. the author is more of a story teller than a writer. i downright hated the cover-page. it does not do any justice to the story inside. i wish there was more thought given over the cover-page.
Ken
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this in the Kindle format. When I first picked this up, I had never heard of the author or the book before. I just decided to read it on a whim, thinking the short blurb about it showed promise. After that,I couldn't put it down. This was a really well written story, including elements of religion that were handled quite well. I felt the idea of one of the top soldiers being The Heretic to be quite interesting - showing God is in it to win it.
Orinks
Mar 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought when I came across this book that it was simply another military series in the style of Mack Bolan and those types of modern stuff. However, this book and series are cool. Add supernatural elements such as a world between life and death, millitary for the church due to such creatures, and people with supernatral abilities all make this a pretty sweet series. Yes, the characters and plot are cool. But why spoil those?
Sally Bisbee
Oct 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the beginning of a new author obsession for me. I love these books! They're about an elite group of Templars who are called into fight evil, and I mean true evil. They're right up there with the Harry Dresden novels and the John Taylor novels and I LOVE those!

Alas, the latest Heretic book is not yet available for my nook and it sounds like he may just write one more after that before ending the series. I'll be very sad if he ends Cade's adventures after only five books.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The Templar Chronicles by Joseph Nassise 1 4 Oct 09, 2015 03:10PM
The Challenge Fac...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Belinda, Emma & Denise - Heretic 19 12 Feb 18, 2015 08:40AM
Free on Libboo 1 7 May 13, 2013 02:54PM

• Hell Hath No Fury: A Montague & Strong Detective Novel (Montague & Strong Case Files Book 8)
  • Ascension (Nate Temple Chronicles #13)
  • Demon Moon (Prof Croft, #1)
  • Death Mage (Prof Croft, #4)
  • Hunted (Seventeen #1)
  • Salty Dog (The Phantom Queen Diaries, #7)
  • Among the Dead and Dying (Among the Masses Book 1)
  • Hellhound Blues: A Brew & Chew Adventure
  • Origin
  • Witches Brew (The Phantom Queen Diaries, #6)
  • Cosmopolitan (The Phantom Queen Diaries, #2)
  • Moscow Mule (The Phantom Queen Diaries, #5)
  • Bishop's Honor (Surrender The Sun #1)
  • Purge City (Prof Croft, #3)
  • Dark and Stormy (The Phantom Queen Diaries, #4)
  • Reign of Blood (The Vampires of Vegas, #1)
  • Old Fashioned (The Phantom Queen Diaries, #3)
  • Dark Pact - (Demon Hunters, #2)
Joseph Nassise is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of more than forty-five novels, including the Templar Chronicles series, the Jeremiah Hunt trilogy, and the Great Undead War series. He has also written several books in the Rogue Angel action/adventure series from Gold Eagle. He is a former president of the Horror Writers Association, the world's largest organization of ...more

Templar Chronicles (8 books)
  • A Scream of Angels (The Templar Chronicles #2)
  • A Tear in the Sky (The Templar Chronicles #3)
  • Infernal Games (The Templar Chronicles #4)
  • Judgment Day (Templar Chronicles #5)
  • Fall of Night (The Templar Chronicles #6)
  • Darkness Reigns (Templar Chronicles #7)
  • Nephilim's Rise (The Templar Chronicles #8)