Start by marking “Bloodhound (Beka Cooper, #2)” as Want to Read:
Bloodhound (Beka Cooper, #2)

Bloodhound

(Beka Cooper #2)

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  34,086 ratings  ·  1,137 reviews
Beka Cooper is finally a Dog, a full-fledged member of the Provost's Guard, dedicated to keeping peace in Corus' streets. But there's unrest in Tortall's capital. Counterfeit coins are turning up in shops all over the city, and merchants are raising prices to cover their losses. The Dogs discover that gamblers are bringing the counterfeit money from Port Caynn.

In Port Cay
Published April 14th 2009 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Bloodhound, please sign up.
Mays Do you mean a fourth book? The third is already out but i don't believe there's going to be a 4th

·  34,086 ratings  ·  1,137 reviews

Gail Carriger
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya
The second book in the series takes Beka away from Chorus and her friends and puts her on a case in a strange city giving her a new love interest. This book didn't hold me as much as the first (or third) but it's still worth the slog to know what happens to her there. I suggest it also because of the presence of one of the first instances I know, in YA fantasy, of a transgender woman. There is a beautiful little scene where Okha Soyan explains what this means to a confused but sympathetic Beka.
Fran
Feb 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-tammy, ya
I was filled with glee when I got my advance readers copy of Bloodhound. I tore my way through Terrier as quickly as possible (and I’m glad I did), before I started on Bloodhound as soon as I was able.

Whilst waiting for Bloodhound to come out (and it has been a long wait) I would eagerly read all the news from Tammy about the progression of the book. I was a little dismayed to learn that Beka would be out of Corus and in Port Caynn, therefore away from all of those much loved charact
Cara
Jan 07, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cara by: Valerie
Shelves: fantasy, series
Uhhhh..... What should I say? I loved it and didn't at the same time. Does that make any sense? I'll have to explain myself.

We get to see the same great action sequences and heart that Beka has. Though we only stay in Corus for probably a fourth of the book and I thought the change of scenery did the series good. There is a trickle of new characters that come in. The most notable her new dog, Achoo. This comedian of a dog really made you love dogs even more.

Ok what I didn't like. I'm pre
Amanda
Apr 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
Took me twice as long as it ought, but I've FINISHED IT. I have to wonder if Tammy ever finds Beka's Lower City slang creeping into her daily speech -- I've been using it to insult the cats when they piss me off lately xD Another great adventure for Beka. I liked the change of scenery that was Port Caynn (although I will say I called it in regard to certain people being involved in certain unsavory things possibly the second or third time his name cropped up). And it was really interesting to me ...more
Libby Ames
Roxanne Hsu Feldman
really liked the first one and have been waiting for the second installment for a long long time. The second book still works. My initial quibble of not believing Beka able to write all of the stuff down in her journal still stands -- even with the explanation of ciphers and reports and how events are chopped down into several installments. Still seems a bit far-fetched. However, I guess if one believes in ghost-carrying pigeons and a young woman talking to street dust winds, one has to somewhat ...more
Wealhtheow
Beka Cooper is now a full member of the Provost's Guard, who are charged with keeping the peace and upholding the King's laws. But after a terrible injury, she's sent to Port Caynn, to keep out of the way of her enemies and find out where the counterfeit silver coins flooding Tortall are coming from. At the port, she finds that the guards are led by an ineffectual and cowardly man (Alanna's ancestor!) and the port's Rogue is greedy and selfish, even by criminals' standards.

The writing is notica
Caroline
Dec 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't think I was ever so excited to get my hands on an ARC (Advanced Reader's Copy) of anything more than I was to get this. I'd already been waiting years for this to come out, and even waiting a few months until the release date at the end of April was making me fidgety. I loved the first in this series and had devoured it and had been looking forward to more Beka Cooper ever since. I've been selling the first Beka Cooper novel to anybody that will listen to me ramble about how great it is, so it w ...more
MrsJoseph *grouchy*
Length of time on Mt. TBR: 7 years, 5 months

3.5 stars, rounded down to 3 stars

I didn't like this one as much as book one - but it's still a fine YA Fantasy police procedural. WHich is exactly what it is, full stop.

I did like the small comments about the cult of the Gentle Mother. As someone who started in this universe at the beginning (Alanna), I was wondering how the women Knights fell out. Especially with this series having Sabine.
Kim
Oct 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the strong characters in this series.
Clare
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brittany
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5-3.75

Beka Cooper returns, this time as a Dog; however, she can't seem to manage to keep a partner due to her unquenchable thirst to hunt down Rats. She returns with that same drive that got her the nickname Terrier in the last book and none of the 4 partners she's been paired with can handle that. Every time she loses another partner she ends up back with Goodwin and Tunstall.

When Beka loses her latest partner and ends up back with Tunstall and Goodwin things are stirr
Andrea
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-read
I loveeeee Beka so damn much!! This girl is what law enforcement should look up to. She wants to protect her people and keep harm from them by making criminals pay their due. For all her determination and intelligence, Beka is hindered by inadequate partners and is really struggling with it. However, a counterfeiting ring is growing and soon she is sent undercover with Goodwin to Port Caynn.

I loved seeing Beka undercover and trying to be a "loose Dog". It was awkward and funny, but eventually s
Jess
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
While I didn't love Terrier – the first book in the Beka Cooper series – I absolutely adored this one. Achoo and Pounce are still my favorite characters, and I think Beka is really coming into her own. This volume felt very fast compared to Terrier, and I'm excited to move onto the third book in the trilogy very shortly...
Dorothea
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
(re-read on June 6, 2013, the occasion of this review)

I read this through steadily and am going to read the third right away, but I'm still not as thrilled as I feel I really ought to be. Maybe I am just growing old and boring and hard-hearted, and I don't have the unquenchable nostalgia for Pierce's more recent books the way I do for the Lioness and Immortals quartets. *sad*

My review of Terrier was short and trivial; I'm going to be more comprehensive with Bloodhound, but I'll save the analysis,
S.N. Arly
This is a fair sequel to Terrier, a YA novel about a young woman who enters what is effectively the police force in the capital of a pre-industrial kingdom. As with all Pierce's books, there are wonderfully strong female characters. She does a good job with realistic characters, which is well since they're the ones who carry this particular novel. It's also nice to see positive depictions of a variety of lifestyles and sexual orientations in a YA book.

From the acknowledgments, it's c
Anne Osterlund
Apr 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I love about Beka is her insane method of dealing with trouble. Does she carefully and methodically pussyfoot her way around a problem? Oh no, she heads right directly into the source of the issue, whatever is the most dangerous, and then, when fleeing that inevitable catastrophe, she promptly heads into the next most dangerous situation, which by then, of course, has proven to be even more dangerous than the first. This is book 2 in the Beka Cooper books, but actually book 16, I believe, i ...more
Claire
Jan 20, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, rev, fantasy
This is the second book of a series set in Tortall's distant past (if you consider Alanna, Daine, and Kel to be the present). I'm impressed with how Pierce, whose books always seemed slightly formulaic to me even as I ate them up, has transitioned to the journal format and a more hardscrabble plot.
Elizabeth
ARGHHHH Person who has the next book on audiobook at the library and HASN'T TURNED IT IN YET SO IT'S OVERDUE. Get your life together. I NEED the next book!!
Natalie
First of all, two things:
1. I did not expect a book like this to be about counterfeiting.
2. I DEFINITELY didn't expect a book about counterfeiting to be this GOOD.

This book started about a year after the conclusion of Terrier with Beka having some rather terrible luck with partners as a fully-fledged dog (though considering she started out with the "cream of the crop" as trainers, I'm really not surprised that the others would fall short). It was pretty great to see that her f
Emily
Jul 23, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked this significantly more than the first book, but it's still burdened with the problems of its predecessor. The journal and the cant are both writing devices that I could do without, and in this book Beka's "fatal flaw" (shyness) is only hastily remembered when convenient. But I found the plot much more engaging, and couldn't tear myself away from the chase scenes. I really liked that this was set in a different city with its own unique history, too.

This still feels like the most formula
Queen
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
YES! This series really hits its stride in this book. I love Beka and expanded cast (Corus to Port Caynn). This book is also faster-paced and more fun than the first one. I savored reading Bloodhound.
Chessa
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yay, Beka Cooper! I had seen several friends rate the first book highly and this book much lower, so I was a little concerned going in - but I have to say that I respectfully disagree. I liked this just as much as Terrier.
Anna
May 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
My Response: It’s not easy to find the excitement in counterfeiting, but Pierce puts forth an admirable effort that pays off in the long run. The gradual yet uncontrollable effect that the coles (counterfeit coins) have on the Tortallan economy, beginning in the poorest neighborhoods and spreading outward, is truly horrifying, and Pierce does a good job of making the stakes understandable. Her cast of supporting characters is lively, and her descriptions of the Port Caynn docks, gambling dens, and eating ...more
Angie
Apr 30, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, fantasy
I've been waiting for this book for three years. I loved Terrier--the first book in Tamora Pierce's Beka Cooper trilogy and I looked forward to spending more time in her company. I've been a Pierce fan for a long time now and with this series it was literally like coming home being back in Corus, the capital of Tortall. It was also a nice change of pace to have the story set a few hundred years before Alanna's time, and revolve firmly around the lower classes. Unlike Alanna's day, Beka's Tortall is a place where la ...more
Lexie
I still hold firm to the belief that Tamora Pierce is flawless.

This, like Terrier, was a reread. However, unlike Terrier, I have only read Bloodhound once before, and that was perhaps two years ago. So now, picking it up again? I knew nothing but the basic plot. There were many twists and turns that had completely escaped my memory. This is why I enjoy letting books sit for a while before picking them up again; the story seems a little new when you can't quite remember it.

Valerie
Jan 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mature young adults
Shelves: fantasy
I was really flip floppy on what to give Bloodhound. I still like Beka but felt she wasn't as "Go get 'em" as in the first book Terrier. I felt the hunt was interesting and its done it true Pierce style. It didn't have so many twists as the first. The first part of the book is all that I had expected from Pierce. Beka is in her element (the lower city) and she is still a Terrier. Then a sent comes of where the fake silver might be coming from and so Beka has to go hunt it out in another city. Sh ...more
Anna 'Bookbuyer'
Anyone dissapointed??? 22 103 Jun 10, 2012 10:45AM
what will happen? 2 19 Oct 15, 2011 10:23AM
CHANGE IN RELEASE DATE! 4 66 Apr 18, 2009 08:05PM
Will this book ever actually be released? 19 152 Mar 07, 2009 01:31AM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Forging the Sword (The Farsala Trilogy, #3)
  • The Dragon Book: Magical Tales from the Masters of Modern Fantasy
  • The Singing
  • The Tenth Power
  • Firebirds Rising: An Anthology of Original Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Court Duel (Crown & Court, #2)
  • The Far West (Frontier Magic, #3)
  • Dæmonernes Hvisken (Historien om Mira, #1)
  • Wizard's Holiday
  • Liar's Moon (Thief Errant, #2)
  • The Dream-Maker's Magic (Safe-Keepers, #3)
  • Cast in Silence (Chronicles of Elantra, #5)
  • The Farseekers (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #2)
Hey, folks! I just discovered that apparently I have given some very popular books single-star ratings--except I haven't. How do I know I haven't? Because I haven't read those books at all. So before you go getting all hacked off at me for trashing your favorites, know that I've written GoodReads to find out what's going on.

I return to my regularly scheduled profile:
Though I woul

Beka Cooper (3 books)
  • Terrier (Beka Cooper, #1)
  • Mastiff (Beka Cooper, #3)
“Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.” 196 likes
“Goodwin scowled at her cup. "With all due respect, my lord, I hate it when you make sense.” 87 likes