Start by marking “Changing the Game (Play by Play, #2)” as Want to Read:
Changing the Game (Play by Play, #2)

Changing the Game

(Play by Play #2)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  20,621 ratings  ·  1,035 reviews
Sports agent Liz Darnell will do anything to win back her number-one client, baseball pro Gavin Riley. And Gavin's more than ready- especially when Liz is offering herself as part of the bargain. But when love unexpectedly enters the playing field, neither Liz nor Gavin are ready for the biggest game-changer of all.
Trade Paperback, 299 pages
Published August 2nd 2011 by Berkley Heat (first published August 1st 2011)

The Perfect Play by Jaci BurtonLover Avenged by J.R. WardLover Mine by J.R. WardCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareInsatiable by Lauren Dane
Hottest Guy on a Cover
1,621 books — 1,820 voters
It Had to Be You by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsSee Jane Score by Rachel GibsonNobody's Baby But Mine by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsThis Heart of Mine by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsNatural Born Charmer by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Sports Romances
946 books — 1,781 voters

More lists with this book...

·  20,621 ratings  ·  1,035 reviews

Start your review of Changing the Game (Play by Play, #2)
Shawna
4 ½ stars – Contemporary/Sports Erotic Romance

Thoughts Before Reading
NOT that I'm complaining at all about the masculine perfection of this cover 'cause HELLO, just look at those mouthwateringly yummy shoulders and biceps...GRRR! But, don't baseball players usually have a little more junk in their trunk and thicker thighs? I think I have an obligation to read this (as purely scientific study of course) to find out. *naughty grin*

Thoughts After Reading
After careful review and scientific a
Kristen
4 Steamy Stars

Changing the Game is the second book in Jaci Burton's Play by Play series.

I was apprehensive about this book. I wasn't sure Ms. Burton could take an unlikable character, Elizabeth Darnell, from The Perfect Play, and make her not only likable, but also the next heroine in the series. I needn't have worried. Ms. Burton exceeded my expectations.

I enjoyed reading this book. Just like in The Perfect the Play, the characters were richly developed, engaging, and lovable. Well, almost al
Auntee
Oct 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of really hot sports romance
Question: Could Jaci Burton top her fabulous sports romance, The Perfect Play with her latest, Changing the Game? Ohh, it was good, it was close...but unfortunately it fell just a tad short of 5 stars for me.

JB had an uphill battle with this one, mostly because she had to make a very unlikable character from the previous book (sports agent Elizabeth Darnell) into a likable one. But I'm happy (and a bit surprised) to say that I think she accomplished that. She gave the tough, independent career w
Lady Allison
Apr 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Let us take a moment to appreciate the deliciousness that is this cover.

*droolsappreciates*

As much as I loved Mick's story, his brother Gavin's was not as good as it should have been. The plot was weak and the characters were flat for the first half of the book. It was definitely steamy & the end was good but I was disappointed. 3.5 stars

I am however still really looking forward Jenna's story with the super sexy & flirty, Tyler!

Also, again with the COVER!!!
Taking a Shot  by Jaci Burton

*clicks to appreciate*
Keri
Sep 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Man I love this cover...makes my mouth water. It was good. A lot of sexin and not enough story meat.
Anne Boleyn's Ghost
I had never read a Jaci Burton book before, but I knew two things: she writes sports romance, and she is a very popular author. I do get the appeal - Changing the Game was a fun and sexy read, but that was about it. And sometimes that is all you need.

Liz was my kind of heroine. A smart and ambitious professional, she dedicated herself to her career as a sports agent. But that dedication came at the expense of relationships and, on occasion, a conscience. Oh, and she is in love with her client, t
Talía
Mar 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2014
3.4 Fiery STARS
"Sometimes your world falls apart. And it’s okay for you to let people in and let them see you crumble."

So I read this back in 2014, but for some reason I wanted to go back to it, so here I am doing a proper review this time.

So first things first, I haven’t read book 1. Not the first time I read this series, not now. For some reason I just never was interested into read the first book, and since they are basically standole where you just meet the characters in the pre
Choko
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Muuuuuuch better than the previous one! At least as far as the "sizzle" is concerned. There was history between the characters and something implied to build on.

A quick and sexy read for fans of contemporary romantic erotica. And fans of St. Louis sports :-)
Antonella
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read this long time ago. One of my first sport series after starting to read more romance in general. Will forever remember Jaci Burton's books for that reason.
And these covers are a peace of art...

Splage
Once again the cover is hot and I knew that I would be moving this book to the top of my TBR list because I was drooling and sports guys are my thing. As I began the book I was having similar feelings that I did with book 1, The Perfect Play, basically a good, hot read with lots of sex, but the story didn't overwhelm and engage me as I had hoped it would. Changing the Game might have started that way, but its momentum built into a page turner that had a lot more depth with some emotional moments ...more
Shannon Stacey
Aug 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Jaci and I have been friends a long time, which means I’ve read a lot of Jaci Burton books, and I think Changing The Game is my new favorite. I’ll be honest: I wasn’t sure how Jaci was going to redeem Liz after The Perfect Play, but I love her. And Gavin is so delicious.

If you’re looking for an erotic romance that’s the perfect blend of steamy, toe-curling sex and deeply emotional, happy-sigh-worthy romance, Changing the Game is your book.
Booklover1335
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
“How do I love thee? Let me count the ways…” This quote from Elizabeth Barrett Browning is so fitting for how I felt after reading Jaci Burton’s newest addition to her Play by Play series, Changing the Game. Simply put, I LOVED it! In fact I think it is the best Contemporary Erotic Romance I’ve read this year. I have mad love for Gavin and Liz…like, if I had to actually make a list of the things I love about the book, we would be here for a long, long time. I pretty much loved everything about i ...more
Nov 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Same as book 1: Storyline - 3 stars Hotness Factor - 5+++ Stars! This series is all about the sex so far. I'm not feeling the connection between the couples just yet.
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
This review was posted at Under The Covers

WOW! I devoured this book! It must've been all the excitement and anticipation, or maybe just the fact that for the first 50% - 60% the chemistry and raw sensuality between Liz and Gavin was just amazing! Of course, there's the sinful cover to consider too, which I kept picturing every time I read about Gavin.

I definetely shouldn't have started the book in the morning BEFORE going to work and then reading DURING LUNCH. You do not want to have your co-wo
Amanda
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
“Honey, love is always complicated. If it was easy, there’d be no fun when you win at the end.”

Ok… so I do realize that I’ve been reading this series way out of order. I started off with book 8 (Straddling the Line) and now here I am back at book 2, Changing the Game. I didn’t particularly think this series was anything worth writing home about after I read Straddling the Line so I went into Changing the Game with pretty low expectations. I’m happy to say that I was pleasantly surprised b
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Jaci Burton hit this one out of the park!!!

GOOOOOD GAWD Gavin is one of the sexiest men I have read about. He goes up there with Cord McKay from Lorelei James' Rough Rider series, and from me that is saying alot.

Because of her actions in The Perfect Play, I didn't think I could like Liz, but JB pulled it off and made me understand her actions and totally like Liz.

The smexing was uber hot and some of the best I've read =)

Changing The Game is up there with Chasin' Eight as one of my favorite read
Sam (AMNReader)
I'm all over the place with my feelings about this book. (well from 2.5 to 3.5)

It was my second Jaci Burton, and I enjoyed the first. I do feel like these have a better level of maturity than most sports romances, and I've grown to enjoy the family dynamic quite a bit.

Also, the sex in this book was very very delicious. I added one star because of that.

That Gavin saw through Elizabeth's tough exterior I loved. He was clearly interested in her, his straight dirty talk was yummy, but what I didn't
Angela James
May 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
I didn't like this quite as well as I liked the first, but only because the first few chapters were a bit rocky for me. I thought there was a bit more setup and reminder of what happened in the last book right off, and I would have liked to not have that all at once in the first chapter. I also felt a bit distanced from the characters for awhile, and I wondered if it was a byproduct of their distance from each other.

However, I absolutely loved the conflict of the last third of the book. Loved.
Robin *loves sexy books*
Jun 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Probably 4 or 4.5 stars but I rounded up because of all the smokin hot sex!! Wow.

Good story but the situation with Mick got old pretty fast you'd think he wouldn't hold such a grudge and be such an ass. I really liked Gavin and Elizabeth even though Gavin basically had to be hit over the head to realize how he and Liz actually felt. Took him a while but he got there.

Can't wait for the next book. I've really liked Jenna so far. And mix her tattoos and piercings with a cocky as hell and super hot
Sonja
Well....
description
That was quite the read...
description

I read the first book in the series, The Perfect Play and thought the same thing.
Lots, and I mean LOTS of... um... yeah...
description
This one literally started out just BOINK! BOINK! BOINK BOINK BOINK!
I mean honestly.... like JACK RABBITS! I nearly closed it and moved on... Seemed kind of depressing that (view spoiler)!!

But I stuck it out through the first four boinkers chapters, and it did get b
Jessica Morales-Lafaille
Wow Gavin really knows what to say to a woman "I think you're worth fighting for, Elizabeth. Even if I'm fighting you for you." after that what else can a man do or say.

Elizabeth have been in love with Gavin for years. After one steamy kiss that Lizzie gave him he was intrigued. He wanted to know who she really is and what makes her happy. Gavin never knew how it felt to be in love.He knew no other woman was like Elizabeth.
Diana~ (Kiss Me Books)
If I were to compare The Perfect Play versus Jaci Burton's latest installment, Changing the Game ... in my opinion of course, I would say I liked Gavin's story with Liz a lot more than Mick and Tara's. Looking back, I felt as if Mick fell in love with Tara way too fast? So it was kind of unrealistic. While at least Liz and Gavin both went into this "thing" between them knowing that it was just a fling and something fun. Or was it really? I guess I have a thing for unrequited love and Liz' ...more
t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ aka Barbara
Jan 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: looking for a quick read and would like a "nice" romance
I had heard great things about Jaci Burton and thought I would pick up this book and give it a read. I don't usually start a series at book 2 but that is what I did. I admit to not feeling comfortable with the characters in the first part of the book. I thought oohh another book that is more about sex than story. I also found the characters awkward and not very likable especially Gavin. I think JB was trying to make him light hearted but it just didn't come across, then I thought she was going t ...more
Dee
May 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I think I actually liked this one better than the first (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/83...). Quite a few reviewers preferred the first and thought this one fell a little short.

Before I started this book I wasn't too sure about Liz's character as she was such a hardcore dragon in the previous book but once we got to see a bit more of her, her background and insecurities I began to like and understand her. I didn't quite gush over Gavin as much as I had over Mick but I did still like him. A
Norma
This was a cute story. I liked it a lot. I didn't want to read it for a long time because I didn't like Liz in the fisrt story, but we get to know her in this one and we see that she's human. She's made mistakes and she's sorry. I liked that she owned up to what she's done and showed remorse.

I took a star off for Mick. Every time that idiot was on the page, I wanted to close the book and read something else. I get that he was mad, but after a while he was just a 2 yr old with a tantrum. I did't
Awilk -never sleeps-
I read Jaci Burton when I am in the mood for lots of sexy times, and this book gave me just that.
I'm not American, so I don't follow baseball, but there wasn't too much sport talk, so that didn't worry me.
The whole way through this book I had a little trouble caring for these characters, but I never disliked them enough for it to take away from my reading enjoyment. Next time I am in the mood for some light, no brain needed smutty reading time, I will read the next in this series that I already
valee
Apr 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cont-romance
Another great installment in this amazing series. I think this is the first series I enjoy on this genre. Well done Jaci Burton, you have a way with words. I still liked much more book 1 though.
Crystal ♥ RBtWBC
4.5 Stars

I was a little wary at first with Jaci Burton's ability to transform Liz into a likable character as well as developing a genuine relationship between Liz and Gavin. If you've read The Perfect Play then you know what kind of feat she had on her hands, but she ended up really wowing me with Changing the Game and I couldn't get enough by the end.

The first hundred pages or so of Changing the Game is all sex, no exaggeration; I'm talking about every page is hot sweaty action between the sh
Thenia

This is the story of Liz, a sports agent, and Gavin, a professional baseball player and one of her clients.

After being fired by Mick, Gavin's brother, for royally messing up in the first book, Liz had been avoiding Gavin, afraid that he would fire her, too. When the two meet again, Gavin not only doesn't fire her, but (view spoiler)
Hollis
So close to a three but sadly my enjoyment took a nosedive when stupidity and drama went on the rise around the 70% mark. It had a shaky start but CHANGING THE GAME was better than book one in a lot of ways. At least until it wasn't. The ending was super cheese but I guess Burton had to make it up to these characters after all that nonsense.

Also, totally my bad. I definitely thought this was just a sports romance series but it is, in fact, erotica. Which explains all the sex. So. much. sex. And
The Happy Housewi...: Changing the Game 2 10 Jul 30, 2014 07:34AM

• In Your Corner (Redemption, #2)
  • Alex (Cold Fury Hockey, #1)
  • Ryker (Cold Fury Hockey, #4)
  • Against the Ropes (Redemption, #1)
  • Zack (Cold Fury Hockey, #3)
  • Full Contact (Redemption, #3)
  • Game for Anything (Bad Boys of Football, #1)
  • Garrett (Cold Fury Hockey, #2)
  • Closing the Deal (Wicked Warrens, #2)
  • Max (Cold Fury Hockey, #6)
  • Trying to Score (Assassins, #2)
  • Top Shelf (Aces Hockey, #3)
  • Fighting Attraction (Redemption, #4)
  • Roman (Cold Fury Hockey, #7)
  • The Baller
  • Major Misconduct (Aces Hockey, #1)
  • Ignited (Most Wanted, #3)
  • The Game Plan (Game On, #3)
Jaci Burton is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling, award-winning author of over 85 books. She lives in Oklahoma and when she isn’t on deadline (which is often), she can usually be found wrestling with her uncooperative garden, wrangling her dogs, watching an unhealthy amount of television, or completely losing track of time reading a great book. She’s a total romantic and longs for the hap ...more

Play by Play (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Perfect Play (Play by Play, #1)
  • Taking a Shot (Play by Play, #3)
  • Playing to Win (Play by Play, #4)
  • Thrown by a Curve (Play by Play, #5)
  • One Sweet Ride (Play by Play, #6)
  • Melting the Ice (Play by Play, #7)
  • Straddling the Line (Play by Play, #8)
  • Quarterback Draw (Play by Play, #9)
  • All Wound Up (Play by Play, #10)
  • Unexpected Rush (Play by Play, #11)