Start by marking “Angel's Verdict (Beaufort & Company, #4)” as Want to Read:
Angel's Verdict (Beaufort & Company, #4)

Angel's Verdict

(Beaufort & Company #4)

Published February 1st 2011 by Berkley (first published December 22nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Angel's Verdict, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angel's Verdict

Heather
Sep 12, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, kindle
As relatively light mysteries go, these are pretty good as mysteries. And much as I've been kind of off light mysteries for the last few years, sometimes it doesn't hurt to read something entertaining that doesn't leave me feeling bad about the world.

But.

(1) I am getting a little tired of Bree's political correctness lectures to everyone around her. Which is really the author lecturing. I wonder how much of this is "LOOK I'M A SOUTHERN WRITER AND LOOK AT HOW NOT RACIST I AM LOOK LOOK" Not that I
Kate
Another nice book in the Angels series.
This time, it was not only Brees job, which pushed Bree to her physical and mental Borders, but also an attack which lands her in an hospital.
We can see a big development in her relationship to Sam Hunter, but I was a bit disappointed that we only got to see so little of Sam in this novel- I could use some more Bree+Sam time!
Also, even if we got to see abit more of what happens during an angelstrial, I was disappointed once again by the lack of information
Mary Ann
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fast paced read. I loved the twists and turns with this one. I thought I had some of it figured out but some of it was definitely a surprise! Sad that there seems to be only one left in this series.
Shannon
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
great series. Prose is beautiful and descriptive without letting you get lost in the details. one of the best mystery series out there with an original take on the patanormal meets real life.
Leslie Angel
Nov 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, paranormal
Very enjoyable not-so-cozy cozy, paranormally convincing
Susan
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love it and wish there were more than 5.
Jill
Jul 18, 2018 rated it liked it
This one is probably my favorite. The murder mystery itself was very interesting. The characters are moving along. NO supernatural attacks but certainly some good twists.
Kristen
Aug 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm continuing to really enjoy this series. I love the combination of real world lawyering and the celestial higher layer of goings-on.

Brianna Winston-Beaufort is excited to FINALLY be presented with a case by a currently alive client instead of the condemned dead and troubled souls she's been defending since taking over a lawfirm from her deceased "uncle-who-was-really-her-father". Bree has learned an awful lot about the firm and the clients it represents from the lawfirm offices which are situ
BookNerdette
C.
Jan 10, 2014 rated it liked it
‘Hemlock Falls’ didn’t endear to me but I wanted to know everything about Mary Stanton’s angel realm. One human inherits a team for defending lower souls. Not knowing the American south other than California, with a colour of its own, I’ve enjoyed a taste of Savannah. Regrettably for such a powerful premise, I dislike the author’s adversarial viewpoint of family members and colleagues; ‘Antonia’ and angel ‘Ron Parchese’. I wince whenever either of them enter and was relieved they appeared less i ...more
Valerie
Dec 27, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a decent story, but the plots are getting to be a little rushed at the end. Have one more left. Maybe there is a reason the series did not continue on. Hope the 5th one is better.
Nora-adrienne
Mar 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal-cozy
Angel’s Verdict
By: Mary Stanton
Publisher Berkeley Prime Crime
Copyright February 2011

Brianna Winston – Beaufort inherited more than her uncle’s regular law practice when he died. He was a Celestial Advocate and now she has to handle both live clients looking for help and dead ones. The living clients are Bri’s only source of cash income, so she is excited when elderly actress Justine Coville walks into her office to make changes to her will. Justine is one of her uncle’s old clients.

Justine has
Marsha
May 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Adults
When an author is an expert at writing murder, mystery and mahem it is easy to forget just how talented they are. Mary Stanton is one such author. I was so pleased to finally get the latest Beaufort and Company installment, Angel's Verdict and it was such a good read.
Bree Winston-Beaufort, attorney to the dead, has been asked by an aging actress starring in a made for T.V. to represent her. The movie is about a notorious crime committed to one of Savannah, GA adult dancers from years prior. Du
Marlyn
Jan 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal, mystery
Bree and EB receive a visit from elderly actress Justine Coville, who says that she'd like to update her will. But before she leaves, she admits that she thinks that someone is trying to injure her on the set of Bitter Tide, a movie being made about Savannah's infamous 1950s B-actress Haydee Quinn.

Justine is playing the role of Consuelo Bulloch, and is using one of Consuelo's brooches to help her feel a connection to the character. But when Bree touches the brooch, she senses that Consuelo wants
jaxnsmom
Jun 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Brianna Winston-Beaufort has inherited her great-uncle Franklin's law practice in Savannah, GA. Brianna is now a celestial advocate handling appeals for condmned souls. But she would rather practice convential law for the living.

In 1950s Savannah, Haydee O'Malley was brutally murdered. Her manager-lover was convicted and executed, but there were questions as to his guilt. Justine Coville is an elderly actress in town for a cameo role in a made-for-tv movie based on the murder. She hires Bree to
Sylvia
Feb 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Angel’s Verdict is Mary Stanton’s fourth book in the Beaufort & Company series. You don’t need to read the books in order, but I would recommend going back and starting at the beginning.

Celestial advocate Brianna Winston-Beaufort is handling appeals for condemned souls in Savannah, Georgia (the most haunted city in the south). She has unconventional employees – angels.
Eager to get back to practicing law in the land of the living, Bree was pleased to be hired by actress Justine Coville to mak
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Feb 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
I love this series, "A Beaufort & Company Mystery." However, this particular book was a bit confusing for me. It became clear at the ending but at times was a little hard for me to follow.

Lawyer/Sleuth Bree runs two law practices, one a 'temporal' or run of the mill practice for the citizens of Savannah, GA. The other, is a 'celestial' practice for those that have passed on and want a hearing for better position in either H--- or Heaven. The Celestial practice being the more busy of the two
Dharia Scarab
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it

4 sta
Faithann
Jun 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Faithann by: Karen Spor
Shelves: 2012
Hollywood has come to Savannah! They are fliming a made-for-TV movie, Bitter Tide, based on the murder of Haydee Quinn in 1952. Justine Coville, the first of Bree's clients inherited from Uncle Franklin, has a role in the movie playing Consuelo Bulloch (mother of Haydee's lover at the time of her death). As with her other cases, her temporal case puts her in contact with her spiritual client, who just so happens to be Consuelo Bulloch. Bree decides that the only way to help both of her clients, ...more
Linda
Jul 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Bree has been contacted by a former famous actress to make revisions to her will and to perhaps figure out why she is being persecuted on her latest movie. The movie is about a murder that happened in 1952. Bree and her Angel's are also contacted by a man who has died but is unable to move on until he straightens some things out in his former life. It just so happens he was a detective on the murder that happened in 1952. How these two cases come together for Bree who finds her life in danger be ...more
Stephanie
Feb 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fun cozy to read. The protagonist is a lawyer in Savannah, GA who takes cases both for the living and the dead. When she is working for the dead it is usually to have their eternal sentence being served lessened because of extenuating circumstances she needs to figure out. Ah hah, there is one of the mysteries, but also there is a live or 'temporal' client as well involved in the same case from another angle. It is interesting and fast paced for a cozy.

Fun, entertaining, and fast read.... Enjoy
Ivy M
Mar 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-books-read
Beaufort & Company, #4. I love this series...the idea of a lawyer for the dead is really an interesting concept and then to give her a temporal client that is also looking for the truth to the same mystery but from a different angle makes the story even better.

I learn a bit more about Bree and her heritage and some back story to go along with it. I also found that she is more involved with the dead then she was in the past.

Very well written, kept me turning the pages wanting to know what w
❂ Jennifer
Feb 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was, I think, the best book in the series so far. The first few were plagued by an awkwardness, as the author made the protagonist find her place in the series plot in a piecemeal, frustrating fashion that often made me want to toss the book across the room, but I'm glad I stuck with this series. This book has her in control of what's going on around her, but having to decide if the impact on her life is worth it. I really look forward to the next book in the series.A
Al
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it

Celestial advocate Brianna Winston-Beaufort is eager to set aside handling appeals for condemned souls and get back to practicing law in the land of the living. Three months after taking over the family practice Bree jumps at the opportunity to work for an earthly client. But when elderly actress Justine Coville walks into Beaufort & Company's office to make changes to her will, she drags Bree right back into a whole other-world of troubles.

Shawna
Apr 11, 2012 rated it liked it
This book in the series was the best so far, I finally was caught up in what was happening and really didn't know "who did it" until the end! Now all we need is a little more character development with Bree, we have know the same thing about Bree for the past two book, I really don't feel like I learned anything new about her.... It is about time we go down to the meat and potatoes of Bree....
Melinda
Feb 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
T received this book as a gift from the author as a result of goodreads.

The autographed copy came in the mail and I recently finished it.

I enjoyed it. Now I want to read the others in the Beaufort and Co series. I like the characters and the story is a fast read and great escapist fun. What a cool premise, that the dead need lawyers.
Elizabeth
Aug 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the twist Stanton threw into this book, but felt the unexplained healing was unsupported and could have been a stronger aspect of the story with a bit more detail/story. I get the feeling that the author does not know where she's going or how to explain this aspect, but wanted to include it.
Deanna
May 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Read it again. Just as good.

**********

Another in this really fun series that combines a bit of horror, some mystery, some good detective work and law, some angels, and some good lessons about getting what's coming to you -- both good and bad. The only problem with this one was that it just seemed a little short -- I wanted more.
Tyrannosaurus regina
I can see the rating I gave this in my e-reader, but I had to reread the blurb to remind myself what it had even been about. Unpleasantness abounded, and there just wasn't enough of the elements I like in this series (mostly the worldbuilding) to lift it.
Sian Jones
I don't normally leap into the middle of a series, but this one had been passed on to me and I needed something lightweight to read. Lightweight it is, but the supernatural world it creates has the potential to be something more, so I plan to read more in the series.
  • Drip Dead (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #3)
  • Cast A Blue Shadow (Ohio Amish Mystery, #4)
  • A Spirited Gift (A Missing Pieces Mystery, #3)
  • To Die Fur (Whiskey, Tango & Foxtrot Mystery, #2)
  • Past Malice (An Emma Fielding Mystery #3)
  • Cloaked in Malice (A Vintage Magic Mystery, #5)
  • The Witch Is Dead (Ophelia & Abby, #5)
  • The Ghost and the Femme Fatale (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #4)
  • Corpse in the Crystal Ball (Fortune Teller Mystery, #2)
  • A Killer Column (Mystery by the Numbers, #2)
  • Final Exam (A Murder 101 Mystery, #4)
  • Wild at Heart  (The DeMarco Family, #2)
  • A Taste of the Nightlife (Vampire Chef, #1)
  • Hex on the Ex (A Mind for Murder, #3)
  • To Sketch a Thief (A Portrait of Crime Mystery, #2)
  • Anne Perry's Silent Nights: A Christmas Beginning / A Christmas Grace (Christmas Stories, #5-6)
  • Mariner's Compass (Benni Harper, #6)
  • Chapter and Hearse (Booktown Mystery, #4)
Mary Stanton was born in Florida and grew up in Japan and Hawaii, after which she returned to the United States and received a B.A. in Philosophy and Literature from the University of Minnesota.

Stanton’s career as a fiction writer began with the publication of her first novel, The Heavenly Horse from the Outermost West, in 1984. A beast fable similar in tone and theme to Watership Down, it was pub

Beaufort & Company (5 books)
  • Defending Angels (Beaufort & Company, #1)
  • Angel's Advocate (Beaufort & Company, #2)
  • Avenging Angels (Beaufort & Company, #3)
  • Angel Condemned (Beaufort & Company, #5)