Start by marking “The Observation Deck: A Tool Kit for Writers” as Want to Read:
The Observation Deck: A Tool Kit for Writers

The Observation Deck: A Tool Kit for Writers

This may be the most useful tool for writing to come along since the computer. "The Observation Deck" is a 160-page book by Naomi Epel presenting the writing secretsinsights, tips, exercisesof today's most talented writers. It's paired with 50 inspiring flash cards to break the spell of writer's block and overcome hurdles to creativity. Great for both beginning and seasone ...more
Published August 1st 1998 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about The Observation Deck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Observation Deck

Jen (NerdifiedJen)
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing, inspiration
I assume that this book is supposed to come with a deck of cards, but my copy was from the library. The idea is that you draw a card from the deck to jump-start writing and inspiration and story-telling, but I had no cards. As I begun working my way through all of the sections of the book explaining the techniques, I decided that it would be worth my while to make my own (and that this was actually more helpful than just buying premade cards). Cut to several hours later and I have turned a rando ...more
Laini
Feb 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing-craft
I love the interesting perspectives and the "pick a card" option. In addition to the cards in the box, there is a small book that explains each one more so you can understand how to fit the technique into your work.

I really enjoy brainstorming different ideas when my interest is waning in something I'm working on.

I deduct one point for the sloppy editing. At one point she talks about the town where "In Cold Blood" took place, calling it "Hokum, Kansas." Seriously? Anyone who knows this topic k
April Hamilton
Mar 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
This isn't a book, but a deck of cards *and* a small guidebook. Taken together, the kit is intended to help writers find inspiration and overcome writer's block. I'd recommend it as a tool of the trade for any fiction writer. I rate it 4/5 because in my personal opinion, while most of the cards are very good, some are just so-so.
melydia
Jun 24, 2008 rated it liked it
This book comes with a deck of cards. Each card contains a writing idea that corresponds to a chapter in the book. The book can easily stand on its own without the cards (that is, it can be read straight through or you can turn to a random page, rather than drawing a card). The ideas are good, but nothing I've never heard before.
Blain
Sep 18, 2010 rated it liked it
An interesting list of ideas to get you going on your writing or to get you through a block but nothing earth shattering. Now I'll try some of them out and see how they work.
Brent
Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure how to mark progress in this book. It's more a reference book with an accompanying deck of cards, designed to keep writers writing. I may read the book cover-to-cover, just the same.
Lisa McLaughlin
Nov 04, 2009 rated it it was ok
Most useful suggestion was to open a drawer and write about what was in it. Otherwise, a little generic.
Scott
Jul 17, 2007 rated it really liked it
The book that comes with this is quite good, but I never use the card deck.
SunHi Mistwalker