Start by marking “Tell Me a Mitzi” as Want to Read:
Tell Me a Mitzi

Tell Me a Mitzi

In this classic picture book, three stories of family life lead into fantasy and home again.
Published January 21st 2008 by Sunburst Books (first published January 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Tell Me a Mitzi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tell Me a Mitzi

julie
Mar 26, 2008 julie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-picture
This is a book I got from the library sometime in the 1970's and it is still burrowed into my brain... I may buy a copy just to see if it has a similar effect with my own children!
*edit*
I got it! The 4 and 6 year olds have asked me to read it again and again... I have no idea why those UGLY pictures and simple stories are so effective, but I think my own childhood obsession was about the first story and the possibilities it hinted at!
Kirsten (lush.lit.life)
Apr 30, 2008 Kirsten (lush.lit.life) rated it really liked it
when i was little i LOVED this book. i remember looking at every purple spine in the children's section of the library in ft worth to locate it, because i couldn't read yet.

as an adult i find it strange and the people are hideous, i suspect its appeal had to do with Mitzi's independence...but i don't really know. but i love it now because little kirsten loved it for some reason.
Evan
Dec 17, 2013 Evan rated it it was amazing
This children's book , written by Lore Segal and published in 1970, tells three stories or 'Mitzis', the name of the little girl who acts as protagonist of each tale and is depicted in the beautiful illustrations by Harriet Pincus. The first story made me laugh out loud and was one of the most enjoyable pieces of children's literature I've ever read. I was especially touched by the part when the taxi driver, after being told the children have no idea where their grandparents live, exits the car ...more
Beth A.
Oct 09, 2008 Beth A. rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
You know how children love books with tons of annoying repetition. This book is full of it.

It was one of my favorites as a child, and my kids love it, too.

My husband- not so much. Unfortunately he's the primary story reader. Poor guy.
Stephanie
Oct 04, 2012 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
I loved this book as a child and always thought it was crazy that two small kids went to take a taxi all by themselves. Now reading it to my own kids I love it even more. My daughter isn't even two and asks for 'Mitzi' at bed time.
Jamie
Aug 05, 2008 Jamie rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Loved it as a kid! Still do. I've borrowed ideas from these stories to use in the stories I make up for my kids.

Are the pictures ugly? Yes! But in a wonderful way.
Lindsey Morel
Oct 16, 2007 Lindsey Morel rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: the world
My cat was named after this book. The best story is where everyone gets sick. Really great stuff.
Caryl
Jan 08, 2016 Caryl rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read, picture-book
This was my absolute favorite picture book as a kid. The stories and the illustrations were both equally magical to me.
Lisa Vegan
This is the last picture book I’ve had at home, the last I’ve read, even though I’ve had it home for a long time and it’s due back soon. I waited weeks to get it from the library, but since I’ve had it at home, I’ve felt less motivated to read it; every time I’ve picked it up I’ve immediately put it down unread. I was initially drawn to this book because I enjoyed this author’s autobiography, Other People's Houses, about when she was a member of the kindertransport, as a ten-year-old Jewish girl ...more
Sam Bloom
I don't understand why the two kids in this book are illustrated to look like Nic Cage circa "Raising Arizona," nor can I figure out why the president in the third story reminds me of Eddie Izzard. The stories are all cute, though, and an extra star must be given simply because the phrase "tell me a Mitzi" has become something of a mantra in our household.
Little Miss and the Legomeister
Kids love these stories. I did. This book is one of my childhood favorites. The stories are about everyday events (except Mitzi and the President), and they're very casual, and the repetitiveness emphasizes the ordinariness of the everyday occurrences. But I like that the characters feel very real, I can see why children can really identify with these stories.
Sara
Feb 24, 2008 Sara rated it it was amazing
My family has always loved this book, to this day we always refer back to it, the best scene from the book, if you have read it is at the very end, we all use that "Come back" as a common family term.
Angela
Aug 26, 2007 Angela rated it it was amazing
This is a childhood classic. My mother says that I repeatedly requested to have this book read to me as a child. While it has some major repetition issues, I just like it.
Mimi
Mar 30, 2016 Mimi rated it really liked it
Great illustrations to match three simple stories that are written for children's enjoyment.
Deirdre Keating
Jan 05, 2009 Deirdre Keating rated it really liked it
I haven't seen it in years, but it was a favorite of mine growing up. I do remember being taken back a bit by the illustrations when I saw it as an adult. Hope to find a copy to buy someday.
megan
Apr 16, 2008 megan rated it it was amazing
absolute fav from all time!
Ajit
Aug 14, 2008 Ajit rated it it was amazing
My friend Anna mentioned this as one of her favorites. The drawing is similar to Crumb and its outstanding. The stories are fabulous.
Emma
Emma rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2011
Al
Al rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2008
Debbie Rose
Debbie Rose rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2011
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2008
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2011
Eliot Kelly-Leftwich
Eliot Kelly-Leftwich rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2012
Raphaelle
Raphaelle rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2017
Kerry
Kerry rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2012
Lana
Lana rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2011
Arianna
Arianna rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2008
April Tice Simmons
April Tice Simmons rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2016
Shelly
Shelly rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • In the Forest
  • The Little Bear Treasury: Little Bear/ Little Bear's Friend/ Little Bear's Visit
  • Miss Bindergarten Celebrates the 100th Day of Kindergarten
  • Timothy Goes to School
  • Doctor Dan: The Bandage Man
  • Corgiville Fair
  • C D B!
  • The Golden Book of Fairy Tales
  • Molly's Pilgrim
  • What Do You Do With a Kangaroo?
  • Morgan and Me (Serendipity)
  • The First Dog
  • Unlovable
  • The Fantastic Flying Journey
  • The Old Meadow
  • Next Stop Grand Centr
  • Little Fur Family
  • The Firefighters' Busy Day
Lore Segal was born in Vienna in 1928. In 1938, she arrived in England as one of the thousands of Jewish children brought out of Germany, Austria, and Czechoslovakia by the Kindertransport and lived with several foster families in succession. She graduated from the University of London and, after a sojourn in Trujillo's Dominican Republic, came to New York City. She married the editor David Segal ...more
More about Lore Segal...