Start by marking “A Winter on the Nile” as Want to Read:
A Winter on the Nile

A Winter on the Nile

In the winter of 1849, Florence Nightingale was an unknown 29-year-old - beautiful, well-born and deeply unhappy. After clashing with her parents over her refusal to marry, she had been offered a lifeline by family friends who suggested a trip to Egypt, a country which she had always longed to visit.

This book follows her journey along the Nile: a romantic adventure, but al
Published May 6th 2010 by Hutchinson

To ask other readers questions about A Winter on the Nile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Winter on the Nile

Start your review of A Winter on the Nile
Gerry
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of two young travellers who both set out on a trip to Egypt at much the same time. Florence Nightingale left from England with a circle of friends and Gustave Flaubert left from France with a companion. Both were at a crossroads in their lives, Nightingale searching for a career, nursing her preference but her parents were totally against such a venture, and Flaubert was a young, at the time unpublished, French writer with ambitions to become one of the greats of literature.

The
Lisa
May 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was very interesting to me. In part, it was interesting to see how the temples and cities in Egypt have changed over 160 years. Of course the way I saw them looks nothing like the sights Nightingale and Flaubert saw. Their individual stories were also intriguing. Their trips in 1849 were before either was famous so they were anonymous as they traveled at the same time to the same places, probably seeing but not recognizing one another. Their perspectives on the same trip were very different ...more
Diane Challenor
I really enjoyed this book, well written with a excellent depth of knowledge about Egypt and the two travellers, that is, Florence Nightingale and Gustave Flaubert. The part I enjoyed the most was where the author, Anthony Sattin, shares extracts of Florence Nightingale's diaries and letters. I'm intrigued and surprised by Florence's beautiful prose, she has the ability to capture, in words, the atmosphere and beauty of the world around her. Also I am pleasantly surprised by her intelligence dem ...more
BeesReads
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, non-fiction
What a wonderful book! I got this from the library but I think I am going to buy a copy as it will bear another few readings. (I wasn't looking for it, it just presented itself to the corner of my eye when passing!)
Set in the first half of the 19th century, it is 'dramatized non-fiction'.. Based on the diaries of Florence Nightingale, Flaubert and Du Camp. (The author discovered the diaries of FN in the British Library and published them some years before writing this book.)
The setting is before
Diane
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the story of Florence nightingale and Gustave Flaubert travelling on the Nile. Sattin used extracts from their letters and diaries to show their separate journeys up and down the Nile at the same time in 1849. They do come across as entitled European tourists however as Egypt as a conquered nation run by the French and the British. However I was fascinated by Nightingale's journey and her world view. I only know of her Nursing Days but this shows her resistance to be married off which co ...more
Magdah Amin
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
May be if I was more objective, I would have rated it the The Five Full Stars, but I was not.
Generally Speaking .. I truly loved the novel, loved it so much, I loved to read about my country and to see it in the eyes of foreigners who loved it that much. I loved to read about one of the best, most beautiful trips one can ever go through, the River Nile Cruise (certainly it differs a lot now from that time of the novel (Winter 1849))

HOW DID THEY SEE MY COUNTRY ??

What would one ever write about h
Robert Parker
A wonderful read where two amazing personalities, Nightingale and Flaubert, happen to cross paths on the Nile. Again, we see the plight of the bright and ambitious woman forced to take a back seat to conventions of the time. We had just return from a trip down the exoctic Nile, so this book struck a responsive chord.
Imogen
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Part dual biography, part travel history, part Egyptomania nostalgia. Delicious.
Kay
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book about Florence Nightingale and Gustave Flaubert who both visited Egypt in 1849-50, their experiences and the effect it had on their subsequent careers.
Will
Anthony
Jan 14, 2013
Carolyn
Sep 17, 2012

• The Blackhouse (Lewis Trilogy, #1)
  • The Suicide Run: Five Tales of the Marine Corps
  • Sparkling Cyanide  (Colonel Race, #4)
  • The Adventures of Hergé, Creator of Tintin
  • Being John Lennon: A Restless Life
  • The Voices Of Time
  • The Victorian Internet
  • My Friend Maigret (Maigret #31)
  • Eating for England: The Delights and Eccentricities of the British at the Table
  • The Gardener of Versailles: My Life in the World's Grandest Garden
  • 1971 - Never a Dull Moment: Rock's Golden Year
  • The Scarlet Nightingale
  • Girl in a Band
  • Cocaine Nation: How the White Trade Took Over the World
  • A Natural History of Dragons (The Memoirs of Lady Trent, #1)
  • Gospel