Start by marking “Shades Of Black: Crime And Mystery Stories By African-American Authors” as Want to Read:
Shades Of Black: Crime And Mystery Stories By African-American Authors

Shades Of Black: Crime And Mystery Stories By African-American Authors

A dazzling collection of crime and mystery stories, Shades of Black is a landmark achievement. Bringing together today's brightest talent from the field-from Walter Mosley, "one of America's best mystery writers" (New York Times), to the late Hugh Holton, whose "gift for retaining suspense is golden" (Chicago Sun-Times)-it is the first anthology of African-American mystery

Published February 3rd 2004 by Berkley Hardcover

To ask other readers questions about Shades Of Black, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shades Of Black

Start your review of Shades Of Black: Crime And Mystery Stories By African-American Authors
Julie Davis
Jul 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Not bad. Like most anthologies there's a real wild card aspect to the selections. I liked about half of the stories which range from cozies to a children's story (which I liked) to noir ... even including a supernatural werewolf story.
Pat
This was ... amazingly uneven. Sorry, fans of Hugh Holton, but "Werewolf Files" was really terrible: flat, unfunny, with uninteresting characters. And the kids' story was equally terrible.

Some of the good stuff: "Since You Went Away," "Murder on the Southwest Chief," "Doggy Style" (which had elements of horror missing from the Holton), and "For Services Rendered." These are, in fact, some of the first stories in the book, which made it seem like an excellent anthology. Unfortunately, the stories
Francine
May 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When I read a short story collection, I look up the authors whose stories I enjoyed to see what else they’ve written and how available their books are. The only author I recognized in this series was Walter Mosley. There are others I want to follow—and my main frustration is that most of them aren’t available in my library. I strongly recommend checking out this book to find some wonderful new detective/mystery protagonists. My next hunt will be various ebook vendors to see if I can find some of ...more
Kim G.
Mar 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished
What a fantastic set of Authors for this book back in the day some of these stories are so good I didn't want them to end. I wanted them to continue with more character development. I can't wait to research some of these authors so I can get their books. To name a few, Percy Spurlark Parker, Glenville Lovell, Robert Greer, Gar Anthony Haywood, and Jacqueline Turner so many more I have encountered reading this book. I truly enjoyed these different authors' stories.
Lydia
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a masterfully crafted anthology dedicated to a mystery author I was gifted to know upon meeting him when his first novel was published, Captain Hugh Holton.

Writers of color have interesting perspectives on history, crime and mystery. These stories are not for the faint of heart. They are gritty, raw, compassionate, sentimental, dirty, direct, obtuse -- just name it! I would recommend all writers and lovers of mystery try this collection.
Beth
Geraldine
Jun 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »

• Enemies
  • Broken Knight (All Saints High, #2)
  • The Accidental Alchemist
  • The Molten City (DI Tom Harper, #8)
  • Step on a Crack (Michael Bennett, #1)
  • Ali Cross
  • Cross Justice (Alex Cross, #23)
  • Simon the Fiddler
  • The Wizard's Butler
  • The Gray Ghost Murders (Sean Stranahan, #2)
  • Trace Elements (Comissario Guido Brunetti #29)
  • Women Rowing North: Navigating Life’s Currents and Flourishing As We Age
  • The Godwulf Manuscript (Spenser, #1)
  • Der Trümmermörder (Frank Stave, #1)
  • Fake It 'Til You Break It
  • Golden in Death (In Death, #50)
  • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
  • Scandalous (Sinners of Saint, #3)
Eleanor Taylor Bland was an African American writer of crime fiction. She was the creator of Lincoln Prairie, Illinois (based on Waukegan, Illinois) police detective Marti McAllister.