Start by marking “Life's a Pitch” as Want to Read:
Life's a Pitch

Life's a Pitch

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  276 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
The pitch is the absolute essence of modern business. Ideas are the most valuable commodity in the modern economy and it is human skill which develops them. In pitching for new business, ideas and emotional intelligence dominate. However the skills of the pitch are not only relevant to the world of business, rather they apply to just about every significant personal transa ...more
Published February 14th 2007 by Bantam Press

To ask other readers questions about Life's a Pitch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life's a Pitch

Debica
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"This is nothing to do with Church's or with Prada but with attitude and style - style being the dress of thought, the feather that makes the arrow fly straight, not the feather you put in your cap."

This book is raw and straight forward. I like how its strategically segmented, which didnt get me lose interest or lost between the ideas. This book would work for every moment, ranging from selling insurance, corporate presentation or asking a girl to marry you, or guy.
David
Jan 03, 2010 rated it it was ok
Two books in one. The first was great, the second could have been left out. There are many better books out there on each topic they speak about. Don't bother picking this one up
Neelesh Marik
Aug 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
A pitch is made and won in the theater of the heart, not the library of the mind
Fons
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a bit of a mixed bag for me.

I really liked the first book/part. It neatly touched some critical points in making pitches which were rather useful in some way or another.
I didn't care so much for the second book , which I thought was a little pointless and a bit overdone.

3 stars, a fun quick read with some takeaways for everyone, as I am convinced that life exists of quite a few pitches.
Mathias Martin
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Parts of the book were awesome, other parts were a lot less. But in the it's your choice to keep and implement what you like.

Learned lots of tips, for example on what is the goal, the strategy, the art of going to a Professional lunch.

Sometimes it went in lots of phisophical stuff, but in overall it's a good book.
Arien Valo
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
I didn't even like the first part of the book.
If you've been working for a while now or have worked in an agency environment for some time, then don't bother.
This may be a good read if you're just starting out in the working world, but a boring one otherwise.
Ashraf Helal
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A book that I always remember and a wisdom that easily penetrated my life
KT Khoo
Feb 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Winning people to your side of the argument and surreptitiously blowing your own trumpet might be the most important skills a freshman (in every sense of the word) needs. That and the ability to pucker up your lips and blow other people’s trumpets for them. And again, there are lots of books out there to show you exactly how.

Life’s a Pitch is by two British advertising executives and it’s split into two halves, the first on business and powerpoint presentations, the second on dating, verbal abus
Jessica Gonzalez
This book gives you different insights and advice regarding pitches from two main experts that are Stephen Bayley & Roger Mavity. It is a quite refreshing book since pitches are explored through two different perspectives involving technical details and subjective impressions. Moreover, the book is full of examples, tips, lessons and ideas from great leaders. Therefore this book more than a recipe book style with casual logic steps explaining how to go from A to B is actually a great referen ...more
Techno Tigger
Aug 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who needs to pitch
A book of literally two parts.The three stars are for the first part only.

The first is aimed largely at more formal commercial pitching, however there is a lot of easily digestible tips and techniques on how to pitch.

The second part of the book is entirely different - really a second book, by a second author. I couldn't get into this part at all. And it remains unread.
Flavia
Mar 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Although I actually hate everything that reminds me of self-help material, this is pretty witty stuff. I liked most of it and there's something curious about it: twice I got people coming to me to ask about the book and one of them actually offered me a job! Can't explain but good things may come your way if you carry this around with you... ;)
Vicky Griva
The second part didn't worth my time. First part is quite useful. If I start saying all the things that bothered me, I would never finish. Appearances, sex, politics, tattoos, dude you should clear up some stuff in your head.
Mischa
Feb 19, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
First half was worth it but the last is not worth the time.
Fred Mcbreen
Mar 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable. First part is a practical guide to preparing, delivering and following up on pitches. Second part is more anecdotal and thought provoking.
Khayra Bundakji
Dec 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ahead
The most appealing part of the book, aside from great advice, is how quick an easy a read it is. I liked that there were two very different perspectives relaying the same principles.
Nathan
Mar 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I found this book very inspiring and a great resource for positivity.
Kim
Apr 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Good read, outlines the different perspectives on the art and science of selling. From PT Barnum to Belyamani, this book has them all.
Polle De Maagt
Nov 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: living
Pretty interesting read. Especially the first part, that gives some sound advice on building pitch presentations.
A. M.
Nov 09, 2017
Anon
Aug 26, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Fortune Cookie Principle: The 20 Keys to a Great Brand Story and Why Your Business Needs One
  • How to Be a Star at Work: 9 Breakthrough Strategies You Need to Succeed
  • Paul Rand: Conversations with Students
  • 75 Years Of DC Comics. The Art of Modern Mythmaking
  • NLP Workbook: A practical guide to achieving the results you want
  • Selling to the C-Suite: What Every Executive Wants You to Know about Successfully Selling to the Top
  • Dreamers of a New Day: Women Who Invented the Twentieth Century
  • Whores in History: Prostitution in Western Society
  • How to Build a Billion Dollar App: Discover the Secrets of the Most Successful Entrepreneurs of Our Time
  • Goth: Undead Subculture
  • When Gadgets Betray Us: The Dark Side of Our Infatuation With New Technologies
  • It's Not What You Sell, It's What You Stand For: Why Every Extraordinary Business is Driven by Purpose
  • Do It Tomorrow and Other Secrets of Time Management
  • The Win Without Pitching Manifesto
  • Breaking the Time Barrier: How to Unlock Your True Earning Potential
  • A Brief History of Witchcraft
  • The Encyclopedia of Fantastic Victoriana
  • The Philosopher at the End of the Universe: Philosophy Explained Through Science Fiction Films