Start by marking “Night Probe! (Dirk Pitt, #6)” as Want to Read:
Night Probe! (Dirk Pitt, #6)

Night Probe!

(Dirk Pitt #5)

Also see: Alternate Cover Editions for this ISBN [ACE]
ACE #1

In the midst of an international crisis, Heidi Milligan, a beautiful, brilliant American naval commander, accidentally discovers an obscure reference to the long-buried North American Treaty, a precedent-shattering secret pact between the United States and Great Britain. The President believes that the treaty

Mass Market Paperback, 345 pages
Published June 1st 1984 by Bantam (first published January 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Night Probe!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Probe!

Start your review of Night Probe! (Dirk Pitt, #6)
Scott Rhee
So, I’m berating myself that I have only recently discovered the joys of reading Clive Cussler. Seriously, Clive, where have you been all my life?

“Night Probe!” is the third Cussler novel I have ever read, and it’s the sixth to feature his beloved action hero, Dirk Pitt. It’s clear to me now why so many people love the Pitt series.

Strange name aside, Dirk Pitt is a pretty lovable hero. Tough but funny, charismatic but serious when he needs to be, Pitt is basically an American James Bond minus a
Debra Johnson
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, mystery, suspense
Night Probe! by Clive Cussler

Genres; Action/Adventure, Crime, Mystery, Suspense

4 Stars

Published April 1st 1982 by Bantam Book
I admit it. I oftentimes buy my books at flea markets and yard sells. What is awesome is when the wife is dumping her husbands book collection. Talk about a gold mine for an avid addicted reader and a lover of suspense, action and 'secret agent' types. This particular yard sell endeavor yielded me a BOX FULL of paperback and (got to love it) Hardback! copies of Clive
Glen
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
In the days of WWI, Britain is desperate, and signs a mysterious treaty with the USA. The ship carrying the treaty across the Atlantic. Years later, a reference to the mysterious treaty is found. Britain starts killing off anyone who might know about it.

Dirk Pitt gets involved, as a treaty may be in a sunken ship. Plenty of spy jinks and high adventure.

I had a problem with the ending where a Naval officer is rewarded for telling secrets, which got people killed. Sure they were fictional
Neil
Despite being a bit dated in parts, this is still a fun book to read. It moves at a pretty good pace from start to finish; it still holds my interest throughout the entire story. (view spoiler) It takes place shortly after Vixen 03 and utilizes a character or two who ...more
Roberta
Feb 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
In May 1914 two couriers disappear in twin disasters taking the only two copies of the North American Treaty with them. The governments of the United States and Great Britain order a cover up so it is as if the treaty never existed. In February 1989 Heidi Milligan, a stunningly beautiful (of course) naval commander discovers an obscure reference to the long-lost document which is now worth billions of dollars. The race is on to rescue one copy of the treaty from the bottom of the ocean.

I have a
Kallen Kentner
I've read all of the Dirk Pitt books (except perhaps some of the newest ones) and this definitely ranks as one of my favorites.

In my opinion, Night Probe (pub. 1981) is the best of Dirk Pitt's earlier novel and byy earlier, I mean before books set before Treasure... for no particular reason except I feel that by Treasure, the tone and style of the novels has shifted more to his contemporary style.

I re-read Night Probe! because of my love of the deep water recovery scenes and the exciting
Janet
Dirk does it again, folks. The superhuman stamina and luck Cussler gives this guy always overwhelms me. I would never have accused either of them of having romantic tendencies, but the wonderful ending of Night Probe! (why does he end every title with an exclamation point?) proved me wrong. This is the best novel in the series so far.
Matt
May 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: adventure, 2019-reads
Months before World War I consumed Europe and brought Britain’s Empire to the fields of France, a historic treaty could have changed everything if not for two accidents. The sixth book of Clive Cussler’s Dirk Pitt series, Night Probe!, finds the series protagonist on a historical and internationally significant hunt for a Treaty that sold Canada to the United States even as the aforementioned nation is on the verge of splitting and the United Kingdom is sending it’s great secret agent to stop ...more
Neil
This is a book that brings me both enjoyment and frustration. It is a fast book [not as fast as Vixen 3, but still fast] and it still manages to be interesting. It also has James Bond appearing opposite Dirk Pitt. Ironically, this is my third or fourth copy of the hardbound edition. I bought my first copy at a thrift store, loaned it out, and never got it back. Same with the second copy. The third copy I bought at a used book store, only to have it magically disappear from my shelves [either I ...more
Mark Harrison
Jul 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Excellent adventure tale as Pitt tries to salvage a missing train and a passenger liner to find a treaty ceding Canada to the USA. British agents battle against him and there are lots of good action sequences. All in all a good engaging thriller.
Eric Bauman
Jul 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
You know that one favorite restaurant of yours? Sure you do: the one that you go into so often that they know you on sight, and where you order pretty much the same thing every time so that you almost don’t have to order—they just bring it to you. And it is always so good! You know the place?

For me, Clive Cussler’s Dirk Pitt series is like that restaurant (except that Clive Cussler doesn’t know me—at least, I don’t think he does). I have read all but the last two Pitt books—and am rereading them
Bev Taylor
Aug 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
an early dirk pitt but giordino does put in an appearance (small!)

1914 - 2 top diplomats hurrying home by sea and rail each carrying a document of world changing importance - a north american treaty. however, both the train and the ship are sunk and they die, together with their documents

fast forward 3/4 of a century and with energy a top priority these documents could make a huge difference. enemies and allies alike fight to find them first and in the process many people - good and bad - die.
Fredrick Danysh
Mar 09, 2017 rated it liked it
In 1914 the United States, Canada, and Britain sign a secret treaty selling Canada to the United States. When two couriers carrying copies of the treaty disappear a cover up takes place. Decades later when world energy supplies dwindle, the American president renews efforts to find and enforce the treaty despite the efforts of both the British and a radical French-Canadian group.
Jeffrey
Jan 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: thriller fans the world over
Shelves: thriller, mystery
This is a superb example of Cussler's oeuvre. It has action, great scenes, suspense and even a homage to James Bond.

Although Raise the Titanic broke Cussler into superstardom, this book was, to this reader, his best.

Nowadays with his co-written books on the best seller list monthly, its a good idea to go back and read the books that got him there.

Lee
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dirk-pitt
This Dirk Pitt adventure was a dangerous one for our hero. With a high body count, corrupt politician's (imagine that?), and a retired British spy called back in to service. This had the feel of a spy novel, with the action of a Pitt novel. Fun read.
Isaac Langley
Sep 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
It had a lot of action. I thought that it was very good. Clive Cussler does a very good job at writing the Dirk Pitt collection. In this book Dirk has to find a treaty that has been buried in the sea for a long time, but the British don't want him to.
Ryan Scicluna
Sep 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: clive-cussler
James Bond meets Dirk Pitt. No seriously there is James bond in this novel by Clive Cussler.
Roopkumar Balachandran
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure
Heidi Milligan discovers of an old crumpled letter in a university archive which leads into obscure and long lost document of North American Treaty. In early 1914 the British were aware that war with Germany was just around the corner. Britain was scraping the bottom of its treasury when it entered World War I. The Prime Minister Herbert Asquith and King George V out of desperation approaches President Woodrow Wilson with a proposal of selling Canada to the US for 1 billion dollars. Richard ...more
Bill Seaward
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
The sequence of events were too unbelievable to be enjoyable. Results way to convenient.
Chris Haak
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it
This is one of the older Clive Cussler books I’ve read. They’re not great, but they are more of a guilty pleasure in that they’re quick reads and full of action, however implausible.
Philip
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A real page turner. My first Cussler novel. I picked it off the shelf at our old cabin and ended up ignoring my kids all weekend (they weren't too happy with me :) It must take some special talents to write books like these that you simply can't put down.
Ken
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure
Planes, trains, and automobiles may have been a favorite of Cussler's having read through many of his books. I'm reading through several of his series (Pitt, Fargo, Oregon, and Bell) and have begun to notice the great love he has for the aforementioned vehicles.

This book is again another exciting book in the Dirk Pitt series. Has some of the typical plot lines but also some twists that are not easily predicted.
Brett Thomasson
Before Clive Cussler and his "co-authors" worked themselves into a several-books-a-year publishing schedule, as much as three years would elapse between the adventures of National Underwater and Marine Agency scientist, adventurer and Square-Jawed Hero Dirk Pitt. So although Night Probe came out eight years after Pitt debuted, it's only the fifth Pitt adventure and we can see Cussler still working on his storytelling groove.

Set in 1989, seven years after the publication date, we find a United
Balkron
Jan 24, 2014 rated it liked it
My Rating Scale:
1 Star - Horrible book, It was so bad I stopped reading it. I have not read the whole book and wont
2 Star - Bad book, I forced myself to finish it and do NOT recommend. I can't believe I read it once
3 Star - Average book, Was entertaining but nothing special. No plans to ever re-read
4 Star - Good Book, Was a really good book and I would recommend. I am Likely to re-read this book
5 Star - GREAT book, A great story and well written. I can't wait for the next book. I Will Re-Read
Ed
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
#5 in the Dirk Pitt series. Published in 1981, this series entry takes place in the near future of 1989 after a 1914 prologue.

"Dirk Pitt series - May, 1914. Two undercover couriers plummet to watery deaths in twin disasters, taking with them the only two copies of the North American Treaty, a precedent-shattering secret pact between the United States and Great Britain. On both sides of the Atlantic, stunned heads of state immediately order all mention of the treaty obliterated… forever.
John Porter
Jun 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Okay...I'm Vegas at the Hard Rock Hotel. (Actually, I was going to visit a friend, but he was at a meeting...and in case you don't know, pool areas in Vegas that have swim-up gambling are open to the public. Seriously.) And I start giggling uncontrollably. Is it the aluminimum bottled Bud Lights they are bringing on demand (and I was demanding)? The tackiness of the pool area and people there? No. It was from reading Night Probe! It's a Dirk Pitt novel I've somehow missed, and it's one of the ...more
Michel Cloutier
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found this book by Clive Cussler a little difficult to follow. I do appreciate that the story took place in my home province of Quebec, Canada so I looked forward to reading it. At the time it was written, the issue of separation was on many peoples mind and it was made an important part of the story. If the outcome was Clive Cussler’s forecast of the future, he was very wrong. I think this book could have been classified in the alternate history genre.
Christian D.  Orr
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was the very first Clive Cussler book I ever read cover-to-cover, back in 1986 at the tender age of 10. Read it a second time at the age of 28, and now for the third time at the age of 38. The book, classic old-school Cussler, hasn't lost its magic; both the regular characters like Dirt Pitt and Al Giordino, and the guest characters like the lovely Commander Heidi Milligan, the diabolical Foss Gly, and the suave British MI6 agent James Bo--er, Brian Shaw, are among the most memorable of any ...more
Barbara ★
This one was a little too cloak and dagger for my tastes. And Dirk Pitt didn't even enter the story (except for a brief one night stand) until 100 pages in.

I did love the conspiracy and how Dirk figured it all out. A thrilling read once Numa and Pitt entered the story. I did have issues with the "heroines" sleeping habits but that's on me and not the story itself (without it things wouldn't have gone as planned).

I think later books in the series are better written and more enjoyable.
Greg Strandberg
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Superb suspense! This is one of the best in the Dirk Pitt series, and I really think you should stop reading this rubbish review and get this book.

I've read nearly all of the Pitt books now (missing a few later ones), and I think this and Vixen 03 are the best. I love the ending here, and the suspense around the train.

Cussler really starts to hit you with his surprise endings around this book, a great formula he'd follow for some time to come.

Pick this up...now!

• The Stargazey (Richard Jury, #15)
  • In the Footsteps of Agatha Christie
  • Dark Spectre
  • Back to Bologna (Aurelio Zen, #10)
  • Cabal (Aurelio Zen, #3)
  • Blood Rain (Aurelio Zen, #7)
  • The Strangeness of Beauty
  • Baby of the Family
  • The Dying of the Light: A Mystery
  • Poetic Justice (A Kate Fansler Mystery #3)
  • The James Joyce Murder (A Kate Fansler Mystery #2)
  • The Tryst
  • In the Last Analysis (A Kate Fansler Mystery #1)
  • The Doomed Oasis
  • My Gun Is Quick
  • Circus
  • The Third Lynx (Quadrail, #2)
  • Captain Cook
Cussler began writing novels in 1965 and published his first work featuring his continuous series hero, Dirk Pitt, in 1973. His first non-fiction, The Sea Hunters, was released in 1996. The Board of Governors of the Maritime College, State University of New York, considered The Sea Hunters in lieu of a Ph.D. thesis and awarded Cussler a Doctor of Letters degree in May, 1997. It was the first time ...more

Dirk Pitt (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • The Mediterranean Caper (Dirk Pitt, #2)
  • Iceberg (Dirk Pitt, #3)
  • Raise the Titanic! (Dirk Pitt, #4)
  • Vixen 03 (Dirk Pitt, #5)
  • Pacific Vortex! (Dirk Pitt, #1)
  • Deep Six (Dirk Pitt, #7)
  • Cyclops (Dirk Pitt, #8)
  • Treasure (Dirk Pitt, #9)
  • Dragon (Dirk Pitt, #10)
  • Sahara (Dirk Pitt, #11)