Start by marking “The Toilet Paper Entrepreneur” as Want to Read:
The Toilet Paper Entrepreneur

The Toilet Paper Entrepreneur

"Never started a company before? Struggling with little or no cash? Have no experience, no baseline to judge your progress against? Thank God! You've got a shot at making this work." So says Mike Michalowicz, author of The Toilet Paper Entrepreneur, a business book that is so uniquely useful, so raw and entertaining, it reads like the brainchild of Steve Jobs and Chris Roc ...more
Published (first published September 30th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Toilet Paper Entrepreneur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Toilet Paper Entrepreneur

Start your review of The Toilet Paper Entrepreneur
Gabriela
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Toilet Paper Entrepreneur is a book written in a conversational and humorous tone on how to get started with your business, even in hard times. Mike Michalowicz takes a down to earth approach in explaining serious business concepts. Unlike most business books that advocate for a business plan as a cornerstone for any business, the book suggests that business plans may not be plausible after all.

Other topics covered include the three sheets of paper needed to effectively start and grow a succ
Dave Ciancio
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I very much enjoy reading "big thinking" books, as I like to call them. They stimulate my creative juices and desire to be successful at all things in life. This is the first one that really boils it down to important action items, not just concepts. In fact, reading this book made me feel like all the other books of this nature are just too vague or too big thinking and not enough hardcore advice. You can click my screen name, I don't write a lot of reviews but I felt incredibly compelled to sp ...more
Donna Frano
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Remarkably entertaining for a business book.
Dominic Heng
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book on telling us how to bootstrap our company with little resource as possible.

Timeless principles that I will be applying
Lilly Ferrick
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book and am a big fan of Mike Michalowicz now, after having been introduced to Profit First last year. I gave 5 stars because I had some major takeaways and exercises I did and now do each week.

I did his "Prosperity Plan" exercise. You write out what's in your heart about why you do what you do and where you want to go (destiny). He challenges you to dig deep. Yeah, I'd done that before but he has you read it weekly so I have it show up in my task list on Monday and take 3 m
Scott Friedman
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked the book, but given that it was based on a lot of the experiences of the author, I would have liked to read more about his specific experiences. The author extrapolated general lessons to make the book more applicable to the general audience, but the stories backing up the lessons were not included. While I didn't expect the book to be an autobiographical tome, it could have well been written by the academic that the author disparages, since the personal specific examples were missing ab ...more
Theresa Peoples
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Take action in your business!

This is the second book that I have read by Mike michalowicz. I have found that his books are easy to read, very informative and offer Real World experience to be applied to your situation. I have read Profit First and was very impressed and I am as well impressed with the Toilet Paper Entrepreneur. You need this book if you're just starting out or if you have a business already and want to define clear actions to move forward and be accountable. I highly recommend t
Bartosz Majewski
That's a book quite similar to Chris's Guillebeau's 100$ startup. Only poorly written. With less concrete information. And focused on offline businesses mostly. What's a strong side is managing profitability and actionable tips about managings scarce resources and cash. It's less than 200 pages but i've struggled a bit through it. Author was a founder of 3 businesses but now he doesn't run any business besides his podcast, books and speaking gigs. I should know better.
Michael Reyes
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed reading The Toilet Paper Entrepreneur. It was entertaining, light-hearted, humerous and packed full of suggestions, recommendations and ways to start your business. For anyone contemplating starting a business, this is a must read. The content easily flows beginning to end and an easy read. No big complex words or ideas to confuse or make the reader feel inferior. Just positivity.
Gina Nielsen
I loved the premise of this book: starting and building a business requires effort and a healthy dose of confidence in one’s abilities (more than education or a lot of money). If it weren’t for so much inappropriate language and humor, I would happily give it a higher rating. Mike Michalowicz has great ideas and a fairly engaging writing style - too bad his language spoils an otherwise good business book.
Katharine
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked:
- Mindset discussion on limiting beliefs
- "Three Sheets" business plan replacement
- Inspiring and interesting anecdotes of real entrepreneurs
- Focus on the entrepreneur first, customers/clients second
- An entertaining and super quick read, I read it in an afternoon!

Disliked:
- Philosophies on finance and borrowing
- Emphasis on multi-million dollar businesses
Bálint
Mar 19, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Useless motiational book with very little actionable stuff. Typical american "you can do it just believe in it" bollocks. I bought the book because Profit First was great. This is not. Most annoying is that he picks succesful people as case study and juxtapositioning himself and his invented "toilet paper entrepreneur" idea as if they were related. I get it, this is marketing, it's just cringe-y.

Already regretted to have preordered his next book.
Meh.
Bereket
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great practical advice; great how-to guide

He’s very good at telling stories. I like his writing style. His sense of humor is irreverent but clever. I can definitely see the image of a frat boy when I read his stuff. But he also has a very down to earth personality. He’s not pretentious and he seems to have a genuine desire to help people.
Dave Williams
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book!

If you're a first time entrepreneur then this is the book for you. It's no nonsense and has great advice and motivation for starting a business, especially if you have limited resources. A must read!
Guershon
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Practical, unconventional, and motivating.

Worth the read if you plan on starting a business and don't know where to start. Has useful exercises to get you in the right mindset, and get the ball rolling.
David Hoos
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've really enjoyed all of the Mike Michalowicz books. His writing style is very easy to digest. While this isn't my favorite of his, it was still a solid all-around book about the need to be resourceful if you want to be an entrepreneur.
Carol Bogere
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

I really enjoyed reading this book. The author tells you the truth with a sense of humour. The exercises are great and give you something to think about and action at the same time. Would recommend to anyone starting out on their journey of entrepreneurship.
Jeremy Smith
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great Book

Book delivers on its premise. Plenty of highlighting and notes taken. Covers mindset, action steps to take, and enough anecdotes and historical information to support the author’s stance. Recommended for beginner entrepreneurs specifically.
Mandy Cheung
I am a fan of Mike and I was hoping to find insightful business ideas from this book. Unfortunately, I found that this book is written for probably collage kids who have yet started anything. There are a lot lines along "why you need to start" and "follow your passion", which I find very cliche.
D. Eugene
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Inspiration

Sometimes we forget about how we struggled to get our business where we are today after 20 years. It’s good to go back and maybe consider reinventing yourself, or start over again in another adventure. Thanks for the inspiration!
Lara
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read this when it first came out. Wish I'd paid more attention. The information is pure gold.
AJ.N
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good -short to the point

I like it short - very relatable
The beginning sound very good - but get little boring at the end
William Beldham
Aug 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Good points. A strain to read.
Harmony T.
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is some great advice on here that I wish I had heard when I was first starting my business. This book isn’t quite so helpful for established businesses.
Raejean
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, business
This book has a lot of good ideas of thinking outside the box while starting a business
Hmaile
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a good read(audio). He lays a blueprint out on how you can start with what you got. He’s giving the formula of what made him successful because he’s been through it and failed.
Reinis Bekeris
Lots of it is just lists of what to do vs what not to do, which is kind of useful, but most of the time is too general.
Jorge Rivera
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good information in a funny way!

Really good information specially if you are starting as an entrepreneur. Good tips for your business and Real life examples.
Prosper Tumwine
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I acted on new business opportunities with every re read
Sara Smith
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious - good sense of humor through out. Down-to-earth and helps eliminates ALL excuses for why you cannot start your own business.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Do More Faster: Techstars Lessons to Accelerate Your Startup
  • Start Small, Stay Small: A Developer's Guide to Launching a Startup
  • The Entrepreneur's Guide to Customer Development: A cheat sheet to The Four Steps to the Epiphany
  • Rules For Revolutionaries: The Capitalist Manifesto for Creating and Marketing New Products and Services
  • The Founder's Dilemmas: Anticipating and Avoiding the Pitfalls That Can Sink a Startup
  • The Innovator's DNA: Mastering the Five Skills of Disruptive Innovators
  • Inbound Marketing: Get Found Using Google, Social Media, and Blogs
  • The 1-Page Marketing Plan: Get New Customers, Make More Money, And Stand out From The Crowd
  • Getting Real: The Smarter, Faster, Easier Way to Build a Web Application
  • The Four Steps to the Epiphany: Successful Strategies for Startups That Win
  • Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works
  • The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It
  • Value Proposition Design: How to Create Products and Services Customers Want
  • The Startup Owner's Manual: The Step-By-Step Guide for Building a Great Company
  • Expert Secrets: The Underground Playbook for Finding Your Message, Building a Tribe, and Changing the World
  • Simple Numbers, Straight Talk, Big Profits!: 4 Keys to Unlock Your Business Potential
  • The Lean Entrepreneur: How Visionaries Create Products, Innovate with New Ventures, and Disrupt Markets
  • The Power of Broke: How Empty Pockets, a Tight Budget, and a Hunger for Success Can Become Your Greatest Competitive Advantage