Start by marking “The Princess and the Barbarian” as Want to Read:
The Princess and the Barbarian

The Princess and the Barbarian

Jewel of the Realm

Lovely, tempestuous and devoted to her subjects, Princess Thera must marry before she can be crowned Queen of Mercia. But her reluctant search for a husband has plunged her into gravest periland into the arms of a handsome barbarian.

Diamond in the Rough

Powerful, hot-blooded, as cunning as he is untamed, Saxxe Rouen rescues Thera from a band of savage
Mass Market Paperback, 407 pages
Published August 28th 1993 by Avon (first published August 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Princess and the Barbarian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Princess and the Barbarian

Start your review of The Princess and the Barbarian
Joanna Loves Reading
This is a reissuance of a 1993 novel, with a name change from the Princess and the Barbarian. I am not sure why, but maybe it sounds less like a Bodice Ripper with the new one? And it is not a Bodice Ripper, as a point of clarification. There are threats to the heroine, but the hero rescues her before the worst can occur. Saxxe, the hero, is a former crusader who has became a knight for hire upon his return, along with his friend. The heroine is a princess, Thera, who is ruler of a small ...more
WhiskeyintheJar
Only a few chapters in and I have to give props to Ms. Krahn for her spectacular descriptive writing; great attention to detail. I really felt sucked into medieval France and England.
The main characters Thera and Saxxe play off of each other wonderfully. There were times when I was like "stop being a spoiled biatch Thera!" but the author describes Thera's background well enough to make her actions understandable, even if the reader doesn't always agree with them.
This book was definitely a
Caitlyn Lynch
This is a reissue of a 1993 novel by Betina Krahn, with a name change from The Princess And The Barbarian. Im not sure why they bothered with the renaming, because much was made of Saxxe the heros barbarian status - he was basically described exactly like Arnold Schwarzenegger as Conan, down to the crossed leather straps over his naked chest, deerskin breeches and fur boots. Thera, on the other hand, spent the entire story dressed in white silk, a mark of her incredibly high status, as only the ...more
Lori D
Sep 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Princess needing a husband and a Knight for Hire rescuing her from danger. How much more perfect can it be? Princess Thera of Mercia knows she must marry soon. On a journey far from home she gets into the middle of a fight and Saxxe Rouen, a mercenary saves her from the danger. He soon realizes she needs protection to get home and he names his price he feels is a bargain. One night of passion in exchange for his service. Surely she would not agree?
This was really a classic Medieval romance
Honey Carreon
Sep 11, 2013 rated it liked it
I wouldn't recommend you read this when you are 14 years old, but I did and I found it very yummy. I couldn't get enough of romance novels since then.
Anita
Aug 26, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Crown Princess Thera of Mercia needs to marry to become queen. While traveling, shes placed in a perilous situation. Strongly independent, she thinks she doesnt need rescuing. But Saxxe Rouen, warrior for hire, comes to her rescue anyway, and looks for payment afterward. He wants a night of pleasure from Thera. Will Thera give him what he desires, and risk her heart?
This historical romance started off bad, and never got better. More action was needed to make it interesting. I fell asleep twice
Deljah
Nov 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Heroine was tstl and very annoying. Anachronistic dialogue. It was ok.
Susan
Good book, though I wasn't too sure at the beginning. Thera is the Crown Princess of a tiny, isolated country. She has been trained to run her country since the deaths of her parents when she was a small child. She is fiercely devoted to her people and sees no need to marry, but her country's laws require that she must do so before she can be Queen. She has dragged her heels for as long as she could but now finds herself looking outside her home country for a man to wed. Horrified by the what ...more
MrsMascara
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really liked this so much, you can definitely see this is not a modern book, and I wasnt that keen on how self serving Saxxe was at the beginning. In general terms I feel most reviewers always castigate the heroine for her behaviour and characteristics, but let the hero off for shitty behaviour, insults and physical coercion. My ambivalence towards Saxxe early on was because of the way he felt he should have a reward for saving Thera, how he skewered her to the door, how he tried to humiliate ...more
Debbie Brown
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Saxxe Rouen is a noblemans younger son sent off to make his living as a warrior fighting for the King, but time and circumstance made him into a landless mercenary. Crown Princess Thera of Mercia must marry before she can become Queen, but shes reluctant to wed. She travels to get a closer look at the Duc, the man shes thinking of marring, and ends up in the middle of brutish mercenaries destroying the town shes visiting.
Mercenary Saxxe Rouen has better things to do than fight a crowd of
Mike Adams
Mar 18, 2019 rated it liked it
I bought a stack of straight romance books for pennies each at a yard sale, just the ones with hot guys on the cover. What a fun guilty pleasure! This one seems to capture all the tropes of the genre; hidden identities, a strapping nearly naked muscled 'barbarian' hero, the sweet yet strong princess he saves (repeatedly), a dastardly villain, and a kingdom of sweet subjects who don't mind royals dictating their lives. The best was not only the teasing florid descriptions of the main characters' ...more
Sandy Frediani
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a long time fan of Betina Krahn, having read this under the original title back... um... 25 years ago. Yes, I enjoyed it enough that I remembered the story when I purchased this edition. To my recollection, which maybe faulty given the length of time, the original was thinner, which makes me think there's some additional material. Since I no longer have the original edition, I can't compare. Be that as it may, I still enjoyed this the second time around, additional material or not.
Ed Montalvo
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was the first romance book I've read. And I have to admit, I enjoyed it. I like the princess because she reminded me of a dnd character my wife played. Not so much the barbarian. Granted he was written well, but I have never been a fan of brutes or intelligent brutes. I guess it's because I'm an engineer and more so, I favor mages.
Allison Feingold
I hate when the title of a book gets changed and then I think its a new book by the author when it clearly isnt. I read this back when the book it first came out and it was ok. Thats probably why I didnt keep it in my collection. ...more
Alisha
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
re-issue of earlier book. Adventuress, old school, alpha male, feisty female, secret kingdom
Kelsey
This was a slow, slow burn. Their journey was honestly boring but once they reached There's home, the characters became more real and likeable.
Staci
Jun 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Beautiful prose. All romance novels should be written like this.
Sep 17, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
the beginning was good but once they got Mercia it got boring also why didn't he just leave?
Theresa
Dec 14, 2012 rated it did not like it
ugh. I'm 100 pages or so in via ebook and Thera is O.B.N.O.X.I.O.U.S. She is so prissy and for someone so "loved by her people," she has no humility. I felt like she was expecting everything handed to her instead of EARNING it. She would make a horrendous queen...

Basically almost done with this bullshit. I was right: Thera has NOTHING going for her. She is unbelievably naive and completely in awe of her own sense of self. The hero is an idiot. I hate this book. I wish I can give it 0.5 stars
Jen
Jun 26, 2012 rated it liked it
This would have probably been a four-star rating if the author hadn't used "princess" and "royal" as adjectives so frequently. It's otherwise an enjoyable book, I'd say.
Red Head
Mar 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Very Yummy!
LaJeana
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of Betina's best books.
Evie
Jan 28, 2013
Sonjipants
Apr 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• My Darling Duke (Sinful Wallflowers, #1)
  • Suddenly You
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • A Duke by Any Other Name (Rogues to Riches, #4)
  • Black Knight (Gentlemen of Knights, #2)
  • The Virgin and the Rogue (The Rogue Files, #6)
  • Unlikely Heroes (St. Brendan Book 3)
  • The Governess (Sisters of Woodside Mysteries, #1)
  • The Companion (Sisters of Woodside Mysteries, #3)
  • The Chaperon (Sisters of Woodside Mysteries, #2)
  • The Seamstress (Sisters of Woodside Mysteries, #4)
  • The Truth About Dukes (Rogues to Riches, #5)
  • Woodside (Sisters of Woodside Mysteries, #5)
  • The Irish Duchess (Regency Nobles, #3)
  • Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • The English Heiress (Regency Nobles, #2)
  • The Blacksmith Queen (The Scarred Earth Saga, #1)
  • Sins of Viscount Worsley (Forever Yours, #8)
Krahn, born Betina Maynard, is the second daughter of Dors Maynard and Regina Triplett. Krahn learned to read at the age of four, and began making up her own stories when she was only six. In fifth grade she won a silver "Noble Order of Bookworms" pin for her achievements in reading, and the following year she began writing down her stories.

Krane was graduated from high school in Newark, Ohio and