Start by marking “Because of Winn-Dixie” as Want to Read:
Because of Winn-Dixie

Because of Winn-Dixie

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  169,424 Ratings  ·  7,230 Reviews
The summer Opal and her father, the preacher, move to Naomi, Florida, Opal goes into the Winn-Dixie supermarket and comes out with a dog. A big, ugly, suffering dog with a sterling sense of humor.A dog she dubs Winn-Dixie. Because of Winn-Dixie, the preacher tells Opal ten things about her absent mother, one for each year Opal has been alive.Winn-Dixie is better at making ...more
Published September 8th 2009 by Candlewick (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Because of Winn-Dixie, please sign up.
Tessie yes a very good book for kids and also teens but often makes 4 to 7 age kids cry at the end but don't worry there happy tears.
Kianiyah No this is a great book not a good book. But this is not my favorite book. My favorite book is SMILE!

Brina
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this is the year that I have discovered young adult and middle grade fiction as a genre full of quality books. Always looking for wholesome books for my kids, I saw this book on a few friends' feeds, and it happened to be at the library the last time I went.
Because of Winn-Dixie is Kate DeCamillo's Newberry Award winning debut novel. It features ten year old India Opal Buloni who has just moved from Watley to Naomi, Florida with her father the Preacher. Lonely for the last seven years s
Deanna
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Because of Winn-Dixie is such a beautiful and enchanting book. I loved reading this with my daughter. I am glad she was a little bit older when we read it (I think she was about 8) as it may have been a little heavy for her if she had been much younger. Although it I guess it depends on the child.

Young Opal has just moved to Florida with her father (a preacher) and is lonely for her mother who left the family seven years before. On a trip to the supermarket (Winn-Dixie) she rescues a dog getting
Lola  Reviewer
A wonderful dog who brings people together. What's not to like?
Jackie "the Librarian"
Oct 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dog lovers and children of all ages
Opal Buloni goes to the Winn-Dixie store, and comes home with a big scraggly dog she claimed on impulse. Because of this dog, now named Winn-Dixie, she meets her new neighbors in the Florida town she now lives in. Nothing bad happens to the dog. Let me repeat: Nothing bad happens to the dog.
This book is carefully balanced with dark and light. It could so easily have been one of those syrupy, sweet stories with charmingly eccentric townspeople spouting folk wisdom, and the dog bringing everyone t
Phrynne
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-books
A children's book I read for a Challenge and what a treat it was! Beautifully written, delightful characters, a bittersweet story. No wonder it won awards.

The Winn-Dixie of the title is big sook of a stray dog who comes into 10 year old Opal's life at a time when she needs a friend. Her mother is gone, her father works too hard, they have just arrived in a new town and she has no one. Winn-Dixie however is great at making friends and over the course of the book Opal's life turns around.

Of course
Fred Shaw
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“Because of Winn-Dixie” is an uplifting novella that made me laugh out loud while enjoying the read. Winn-Dixie is a supermarket chain located throughout southeastern US. India Opal, a girl of ten or so, goes into one of the stores to buy a few things, and comes out with a mangy, smelly large dog. He got inside the store somehow and created havoc, knocking over produce stands, and had all the store people chasing him. So Opal adopted the dog, took him home, cleaned him up and named him “Winn-Dix ...more
Paula
Apr 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Matt
Recommended to Paula by: Lauren
My friend Lauren read this to her elementary school kids last year -one day she read it to them aloud for an hour and a half! This is especially remarkable considering the usual behavior of her students (which is NOT sitting still, listening, and engaging in meaningful ways).

The story is well told in the ten-year old main character's voice. I'm sure this makes it attractive and understandable to young readers (or listeners). And easy for them to relate to.

The book does a good job of opening up
Becky
Jan 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, read2012
This is the first book my 8-year-old son was reading and said to me, "This book is really good, Mommy. I think you would like it. You should read it."

So. I'm reading it. :)

.....

Someone called Kate DiCamillo's writing enchanting. I think enchanting fits perfectly.
Banny Kirsten Marie Reviews
Because of Winn Dixie was a story about eever lasting friendship but not with a person and a person but with a little girl and her dog. Its not easy living withouta mother now is it? Imagine yourself without your mother in your life... Okay now imagine being raised by a preacher... We have the picture of a motherless preachers daughter and that is what are main character Indian Opel is.... Or we can call her Opal for short.

Opal was in the grocery store buying groceries for the preacher whenever
Kandice
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have never had any interest in reading this book or seeing the movie. Imagine my surprise when the library movie/book group I belong to chose this at the one meeting I miss! I am so happy they did! I’m no stranger to YA or children’s literature so don’t know what my reluctance was about. I think I imagined sap, sap, more sap and side of sap. This was NOT sappy!

The story reminded me quite a bit of Billie Letts writing. People in the world are weird, quirky, unique and wonderful. The more people
Amber
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: church-library
This was a pretty good story about a young girl named Opal who adopts a dog named Winn-Dixie who changes her life and the lives of others. If you like these types of stories, be sure to check this out at your local library and wherever books are sold.
Richard
This is a short novel but it contains a lot of reflection on grief, pain and friendship. It reminded me in some ways of To Kill a Mockingbird. In both cases, a father is left to take care of his child(ren) without the help of a mother. And in both cases, a young girl, observant but not omniscient, grapples with problems and mysteries much bigger than she is, and gradually works her way toward a solution. The dog, Winn-Dixie, who is bigger than life and twice as goofy, is not so much the main cha ...more
Henry Martin
Kate DiCamillo has a way with words. Yes, she does. I must admit that I'm in love with her writing style, and that I have read all of her works.

Some of her books are really funny, like the Marcy Watson series (hey, even a serious reader has to laugh sometime), but the majority of her novel-length works are way too serious to be written off as children's literature.

Yes, the are, undoubtedly, children's themes. But not childish themes. A few years ago I had reviewed her Miraculous Journey of Edw
Brooke
This book captured childhood so beautifully. Loved all the characters and the sweet message of friendship. I have read several of Kate DiCamillo's books and have loved every single one; but I'd have to say this one is my favorite!
Jenny (adultishbooks)
All the feels. All of them.
Kyle
Sep 10, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The talented author of this book is, Kate Dicamillo and the genre of this great book is Adventure.

Ople is the main character of this adventurious story. She is a lonley girl now, she wasnt before she had too move to this dreded town. Now she is veary alone and when she gose to the grocery store she will fine a veary hyper friend.

when Ople arrives at the grocery store she is finding all the employies are freaking out and chasing after someone or something. Ople is getting veary curious and she lo
Before GR, I used to think children's books were just for children. How off base was that? This is a lovely story that will make you laugh and cry. There are universal themes of love, friendship and family, and the love of a pet. I really think author Kate DiCamillo is special, as I've loved three of her books, all written for children. It takes a special gift to be able to appeal equally to kids and adults, and she has it.

Don't pass this one by because it's a kid's book. You'd be missing out.
Kristie
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, fiction
What a great children's book. Really enjoyed this one.
Mo
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 10 year olds
My 10 year old granddaughter Clara has decided to join a book club this year. They are going to meet once a month before school starts for the day, and she asked me if I wanted to join the club too and attend the meetings with her. Guess what my answer was? OF COURSE I WANT TO JOIN YOUR BOOK CLUB WITH YOU CLARA!!! I don’t even care that we will be meeting at 7:00 in the morning (OY!) Granddaughters + Books = Heaven!

Because of Winn-Dixie is the selected book for this month. I could cry because th
Abduraafi Andrian
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, english
Cuma IDR 45k di Big Bad Wolf Indonesia.

Aku mulai terlena dengan Kate DiCamillo, sejak Edward Tulane. Tidak terkecuali buku ini. Ceritanya sederhana. Tentang India Opal (nama gadis cilik) yang menemukan seekor anjing di swalayan.

"I just realized something, India Opal. When I told you your mama took everything with her, I forgot one thing, one very important thing that she left behind."

"What?"

"You. Thank God your mama left me you."

Selengkapnya: http://bibliough.blogspot.co.id/2016/...
Audra
Mar 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is just a beautiful book. If you love dogs, if you love children, and if you have any appreciation for the power of love (and dogs) in healing hearts and relationships, then this is a book for you. The writing is great and the story is captivating. This is sort of like "Fried Green Tomatoes" meets "The Sandlot" meets "Snoopy." If you don't love it, I'll eat my hat.
Sharon
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review to follow.
Minh Nhân Nguyễn
4 sao.

Môt câu chuyên nhe nhang, dê chiu. Đoc tom tăt truyên thi đa co thê hinh dung ra nôi dung cua no như thê nao rôi. Nhưng luc minh đoc vân cam thây đươc sư mơi la va thu vi trong đo.

Mơi la, thu vi không bơi cac tinh tiêt ma ơ hê thông nhân vât cua no. Môt cô be co cai tên kha la: India Opal Buloni vưa chuyên đên nơi ơ mơi bơi cha minh vôn la môt linh muc đên nhân nhiêm vu tai đây. Giưa luc lac long vơi canh vât mơi me, ban be xa la va buôn râu vi nôi nhơ me không nguôi, cô be đên vơi Winn-Di
C.G. Drews
Aw, that was just so DAAAAANG adorable. I just want to hold this book and talk with an American TWAAAAANG. (You totally need to read this with a Southern accent, got it? Which is hilarious, really, considering I'm an Aussie and my "southern accent" probably sounds like a frog getting murdered. But whatever.) I absolutely had to read this because I adore the movie. I'm really surprised how similiar they were. They movie basically followed the plot line-for-line. Awesome!

So the whole time I had
Ensiform
Jul 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
India Opal Buloni (DiCamillo has a fondness for zany names), a preacher’s daughter newly arrived in town, has trouble dealing with the empty space left by her mother, who left the family seven years previously. One day she adopts a stray dog she finds making trouble in a Winn-Dixie. Having an overly attached, inquisitive dog puts India in new situations which lead her to meet some interesting townsfolk, like the good-natured old librarian with plenty of stories, a woman rumored to be a witch (an ...more
Reese
Feb 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm an old lady, and I just read another "book for kids" -- and not out loud to a kid. Don't scratch your head; it makes me think you have fleas. Anyway, election-related articles and the books I've been reading "drove" me to pull a young readers' book off of a to-read shelf. No, I haven't abandoned the "currently-reading" books shown on my profile page; in fact, I opened Because of Winn-Dixie because I want to keep them from winding up on the stopped-before-the-end shelf. Bring on the kids, and ...more
Lisa Kay
★★★★★ Didn’t realize this was a Juvenile book when I got the audio from the library for a challenge on “Southern Belles” -- but I’m glad I listened to tale of a motherless preacher’s daughter who adopts a big mangy dog. Loved this short story and Cherry Jones' narration is wonderful. She is so good, I may even listen to it again!

Update: I did lisen to it twice - it was that good.
ALLEN
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book will charm you to your toenails whether or not your daddy is a preacher, you live in a small Southern town, or your dog sneezes when he smiles and is named for a supermarket chain. BECAUSE OF WINN-DIXIE follows newcomer Opal Buloni as she acquires a ratty, smelly mutt in the aisles of the eponymous grocery store, grooms him, and loves him. The dog loves her back and her minister father too. Before you know it, Opal is going all over town, making friends, finding part-time work, even cu ...more
Heartwarming, southern read with beautiful themes about not judging people for their pasts, making friends with the unexpected and learning to deal with sadnesses in your life. I liked how one reviewer compared this to, To Kill a Mockingbird, except it is written for middle graders. Well worth the read!
Katherine
”Just about everything that happened to me that summer happened because of Winn-Dixie.”

I’ll admit right here and now that I’m not a dog person. Never have been and never will be. I think Chihuahua’s are Satan’s minions, I can’t stand Boston terriers (long story on that one), and I’m extremely terrified of large dogs. I’m such a teeny tiny person and dogs are notorious for being excited to see someone that they tend to charge at you like a bull running down the streets of Seville. And once they
Around the Year i...: Because of Winn-Dixie, by Kate DiCamillo 3 42 7 minutes ago
Review 8. Taylor Mundy 1 2 Apr 13, 2018 09:05PM
101 Books to Read...: Because of Winn-Dixie 2 4 Jan 29, 2018 08:48AM
Because of Winn Dixie 1 4 Nov 03, 2017 01:54PM
  • Everything on a Waffle (Coal Harbour #1)
  • Joey Pigza Loses Control (Joey Pigza, #2)
  • Granny Torrelli Makes Soup
  • Each Little Bird that Sings
  • Our Only May Amelia (May Amelia, #1)
  • Becoming Naomi León
  • Where the Mountain Meets the Moon
  • One Crazy Summer (Gaither Sisters, #1)
  • The Landry News
  • Pictures of Hollis Woods
  • The Great Gilly Hopkins
  • Shiloh (Shiloh, #1)
  • The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg
  • Surviving the Applewhites (Applewhites, #1)
  • 26 Fairmount Avenue (26 Fairmount Avenue, #1)
  • A Long Way from Chicago (A Long Way from Chicago, #1)
  • What Jamie Saw
  • Yolonda's Genius
Kate DiCamillo, the newly named National Ambassador for Young People’s Literature for 2014–2015, says about stories, “When we read together, we connect. Together, we see the world. Together, we see one another.” Born in Philadelphia, the author lives in Minneapolis, where she faithfully writes two pages a day, five days a week.

Kate DiCamillo's own journey is something of a dream come true. After
More about Kate DiCamillo

• Every Day Is Mother's Day
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Breakdown: A Love Story
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Blaze of Glory (Civil War: 1861-1865, Western Theater, #1)
  • The House Girl
    $8.24 $1.99
  • The Shepherdess of Siena
  • The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
  • The Man Who Could Be King
  • Challenger Deep
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Wildflowers (Glenbrooke, #8)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • The Great Man
  • The Vagrants
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Son
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Winnowing Season (Amish Vines and Orchards, #2)
  • The Feathered Bone
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Crooked Little Lies
  • The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley
    $12.99 $1.99
“There ain't no way you can hold onto something that wants to go, you understand? You can only love what you got while you got it.” 1274 likes
“You can't always judge people by the things they done. You got to judge them by what they are doing now.” 221 likes