Start by marking “Meg and the Secret of the Witch's Stairway (A Meg Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Meg and the Secret of the Witch's Stairway (A Meg Mystery, #2)

Meg and the Secret of the Witch's Stairway (A Meg Mystery #2)

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  101 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
When Meg and her friend hear the old story about a lost family treasure hidden on a plantation during the Civil War, they are determined to find it.
Hardcover, A Whitman Mystery, 136 pages
Published January 1st 1967 by Western Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Meg and the Secret of the Witch's Stairway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meg and the Secret of the Witch's Stairway

Wayne S.
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Margaret Ashley Duncan, Meg for short, is a girl of unspecified age and lives in Hidden Springs, VA, with her father, who works in nearby Washington, DC, for the government. Her mother died when Meg was a very little girl. Her uncle Harold or Hal Ashley lives in Washington and works for a small museum there. Her best friend is Kerry Carmody. On a nearby chicken farm reside a couple of distant cousins of her mother’s, Miss Jenny and Miss Clara Ashley. For years there have been persistent rumors a ...more
Kristine Hansen
Meg is back, and this time is on the trail for Civil War treasure - that actually dates back much further than that.

What struck me most about this book, is the realization that it was written one hundred years after the Civil War. It's strange to think about - that a treasure lost during that time period is something that the characters can talk about in terms of "My grandfather" or "My Great Grandfather" which makes it a part of history that lies within reach of the characters. What an odd fee
Twyla
Aug 05, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
Gee I wonder what the secret is? clue one: there's some missing family silver. Clue two: there's a stairway that is rumoured to have some secret about it ... Hmmm ... Maybe they weren't so good at math back then and couldn't put one and one together. Or maybe I'm just a cynical jerk. Was this at the beginning of the downfall of children's literature? Was this written by a Nancy Drew author?
I'll leave the review open for my daughter to do.
KDawn
Mar 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-kiddos
Great book to get kiddos started in mystery reading. Only 12 chapters...although, it's out of print. You'd have to order it from Amazon resellers or similar. Still, worth it! Very cute. Meg is a 12 year old detective and with the help of her best friend Kerry, she helps solve local mysteries. The first book in the series is "Meg and the case of the Disappearing Diamonds." I enjoyed them all as a kid, but "The Witch's Stairway" is by far my favorite.
Teresa Drelick
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ahhh..to be a tween again. Some times you need to just breath and this is a way to step back and be young. I was thrilled to find this original 1967 hardcover and loved that it included the traditional art work that goes with the times. A great little story.
Hildegart
Jul 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this Meg series, but as far as I know, there were only 6 books. What a shame. But there are just so many books/series out there for competition, I think this one just didn't make it into the mainstream.
Jessica
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Jessica by: my mom
See the first book in the series for a full review.
Megan Davis
I read this books as a kid and really enjoyted them. (Partly because my name is Megan.)
Megan
Not first reading (date below)
June 3, 1995
June 2001
June 14, 2003
M
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been quite a while since I read this book, but I remember enjoying reading it. I wish I could remember her Siamese cat's name.
Stacy
I read all of the Meg books when I was a child. I really enjoyed reading one again with my daughter!
Marina04
Lyndsey
Mar 06, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »

A Meg Mystery (6 books)
  • Meg and the Disappearing Diamonds (A Meg Mystery, #1)
  • Meg and the Mystery Of The Black Magic Cave (A Meg Mystery, #3)
  • Meg and the Ghost of Hidden Springs (A Meg Mystery, #4)
  • Meg and The Treasure Nobody Saw (A Meg Mystery, #5)
  • Meg and the Mystery in Williamsburg (Meg Duncan, #6)