Start by marking “No Wonder My Parents Drank: Tales from a Stand-Up Dad” as Want to Read:
No Wonder My Parents Drank: Tales from a Stand-Up Dad

No Wonder My Parents Drank: Tales from a Stand-Up Dad

3.47  ·  Rating details ·  373 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
YOU’LL NEVER SLEEP IN THIS TOWN AGAIN

From Saturday Night Live to stand-up, from a blockbuster film career to the star of CBS’s hit television show Gary Unmarried, Jay Mohr is one of the funniest people in comedy today. Now, in this down and dirty tale of modern fatherhood, Mohr shares his stories as a first-time parent.

No Wonder My Parents Drank
reveals the details behind
Published May 11th 2010 by Simon Schuster (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about No Wonder My Parents Drank, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Wonder My Parents Drank

Katherine P
Parts of this book are really good - there are a number of laugh out loud parts and even a few that brought tears to my eyes. That being said there is a LOT of directionless rambling. In many chapters he seems to contradict himself and his point is unclear. It's really too bad because his rambling chapters on spanking and safety overshadow his funny honest chapters on step-parenting and infertility. Definitely wouldn't buy or highly recommend. It'd be okay if you have time to kill and want somet ...more
Molly Ferguson
The funny moments were really funny! This book really needed a better editor though, and that drove me nuts. He kept switching from his stand-up voice to his memoir voice and getting all wistful and sappy. The stories about his son were all jumbled chronologically. However, the parenting insights in the first half were terrific.
Jaime
Aug 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jaime by: jaimeleigh@cox.net
A great book for parents with a sense of humor. I read this, by myself, cackling loudly through the whole thing. Good thing I wasn't in public, people would have thought I was nuts. It's that funny. But his love of being a parent truly shines through.
Alice
Jan 03, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
He talked about being a parent and I didn't think it was funny. I've heard this guy do standup and had good expectations for the book. I was bored.
George Huner
Jun 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book. Funny, insightful, you can tell he really enjoys being a dad. I feel the same as him, that raising your kids is the best life imaginable.
Jodi
Jul 28, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some parts were really funny, but had hard time with the language in this book. I am no saint and this was way over the top for me. Very hard time reading this.
Shawn
I am not sure what I expected when I started reading this book... in retrospect, probably I expected more comedy than parenting advice and near-bragging. That isn't what I got.
To be fair to Mr. Mohr, I just couldn't relate top some of his stories. There were some stories I could relate to and some which made me laugh outloud. Just enough, in fact, to keep me reading. Because of this, I think it is fair to give the book three stars and a slight recommendation to someone getting ready to have the
Jonathan Sparkles
Oct 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't have any children and there's a good chance I never will, but I still found this hilarious book about the early days of parenting very effective and highly entertaining. I love the fact that the author makes fun of his child at times, but it's overwhelmingly evident that he loves his child to death and would do anything for him. Jay is a man of faith and is not afraid of showing his soft side, but thankfully, he still also finds the time to include delightfully scathing humor throughout. ...more
Angie
Jun 22, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was first introduced to this book while sitting at Great Clips waiting for my husband to get his hair cut. I was thumbing through a Parents magazine that included an excerpt from this book. The article had me literally laughing out loud. It was getting to the point where I'd either have to stop reading the article, or go outside so as not to disturb the other folks in the waiting area.

On the way home I made a stop at the library to pick up a copy of the book, but several people had beaten me t
Travis Duke
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will be father in 4 months and I happen to like Jay Mohr so I am probably bias on this book. This book focuses on fatherhood more than just parenthood, so I could understand if a female didnt like this book. I found his writing to be honest and easy to relate to considering he is somewhat close to my age. I loved the humor he brings it makes for a fun and easy read. I can admit I laughed out loud a few times reading this when he describes all the trials and tribulation that come with parenthoo ...more
Jane Night
Jul 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Complete review available on my blog:

This was a really enjoyable book. A hilarious read if you have kids. I could totally identify with most of the situations the author presented (I wasn’t nuts about his insistence that circumcision is a must but I can forgive him that).

“No Wonder My Parents Drank” is full of stories about Mohr, his son, and his wife. The book follows his son from birth to approximately age 8.

I had never listened to Mohr as a comedian be
Sean Newman
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Touching

Laughing and crying are two things that don't come easily for me. This book had me at both extremes. Recommended strongly for all parents.
Austin Gough
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I want to start off by letting everyone know there are no spoilers in this review. In this book No Wonder Why My Parents Drank I caught myself actually laughing out loud. Jay Mohr does a fantastic job of telling you how it is to have a child. He tells stories from when his son was a child. He uses imagery, which will make you feel like you are there in that situation. This book is very funny, real, and accurate. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who likes to read comedy. If you love t ...more
Lisa Mccurdy
Mar 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were definitely points of hilarity that made it worth reading. I think as a one-kid (possibly sheltered?) dad he has not yet understood the idea that although WE think every silly little thing our kids do or say is the most incredible/adorable thing EVER; . . . . not every one else does. His insights are fun to read and I did laugh enough times to make it worth it, but was the book just a parental opportunity to brag on a global scale? Hmmmmmm.
April
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite parenting based books I've ever read. Jay Mohr is a great comic, but he's also such a loving father. While he's got his typical dirty bits in here he also tells wonderful stories of parenting. His tales about parenting and how sad big moments can be (like when you realize your child has stopped saying words wrong), really hit the nail on the head. I highly recommend this to everyone!
Lauren
Aug 03, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I checked out this book after reading an excerpt in a magazine that had me laughing so hard I was crying. However, what was missing in that excerpt was the fact that the author has a mouth like a truck driver. I had to stop reading shortly into the book because even though I'm pretty liberal with language, it was too much. It really is too bad, because he has a lot of funny (and sweet at times) things to say, but he ruins it with his foul mouth.
Monica
Jul 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Bwahahaha! There were parts of this book that were not funny, but the parts that were--priceless! (I'm sure the people who were driving around me wondered what in the world I was laughing so hard about.) Here is a father who unarguably LOVES his son and takes parenting seriously. And still manages to poke fun at the antics of kids--and we were all kids once--and parents, which many of us are now. And he keeps it engaging. I had to pass this one on to my husband ;-)!
Chris
Jul 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. In his own crude way, he touches on things that any parent can relate to. It was laugh out loud funny in many places and very touching in others. I can tell he really loves being a parent. I liked the stories from his own childhood as well. I've got to get the husband to read this one. Only thing I found odd was the way he dealt with his first wife, Jackson's mother. Which was actually, not at all.
Jen
May 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The language is really, really bad in this book. I mean bad. Ok- that being said, I was laughing my guts out. I really had tears streaming down my face at a few points and the section on diapers was completely worth the read. I finished it last night and it finished on such a sweet note that I found myself crying again. I can't put my feelings about parenthood into words, but thankfully Jay Mohr can and did (even if he had to use some nasty words to do so!)
Andee
Jun 24, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It started out cute enough but then it got overly optimistic and nauseatingly sweet about the joys of parenting for me personally and I lost interest in the book and could not finish it. Yes there are giggles and grins in raising children, but there are tears of frustration too and THAT'S where the drinking comes in handy from time to time.
J.T.
Feb 08, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am a big fan of Jay Mohr's stand-up, but was very disappointed in this book. It felt like if you were a parent, all the stories were something you have experienced. I actually found the book very dull and his stories repetitive. I appreciated the fact Jay is a very devoted father!! This book could have used a good editor.
Mike Buyske
I like Jay Mohr and think his stuff is pretty funny so gave this a read. Guess I wasn't expecting it to literally be a memoir on parenting. Several laugh out loud moments but spent more time skimming through it than actually reading. Maybe more enjoyable if you have kids and can relate to a lot if the stuff he's writing about.
Robin
Jul 16, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-list, memoirs
Looking forward to reading this because I enjoyed his first memoir so much. Parents of small kids will probably get into this more than a parent of much older kids, like myself. Mohr is a good writer and I laughed out loud many times while reading this book. I just didn't find it as compelling as his first memoir.
Amanda
Nov 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
LOL! If you are not a Jay Mohr fan, DO NOT read the book! He is a foul mouthed guy with a perverted sense of humor...but I love it so I get it. I had the uncontrollable, tears running down my face laughter going on. Its a sweet and funny outlook on not just fatherhood, but parenting. Good job Jay :)
Naomi Blackburn
This book was hilarious. As one who is not a huge fan of Jay Mohr, I went into it with a bit of trepidation. However, it was unfounded. I found myself laughing out loud and relating to a number of things he wrote!
Josh
Jun 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Granted, I am the dad of a young child, so this was especially pertinent to my life.
But I still feel it struck a wonderful chord between how maddening and wonderful children can be.
I laughed often at this, and teared up at the end ... it really shows it all.
Cyndie Dyer
I almost put this down when the cute stories were clashing with the four letter words. But he had me nodding my head from the beginning, and some anecdotes had me laughing out loud. Definitely a book to give a dad.
Lisa
Jan 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh My God. I cannot recommend this book enough! It is touching, yet so abso-freak-alutly hysterical that you cannot put it down. Mohr's humor clearly has been passed down to his son, who uses it wisely and in the best situations to make a funny moment. please read this book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Daniel Judge
A funny book by one of my favorite comedians. Although I don't have children, his stories always make me laugh. His section on what we used to do as kids reminded me a lot of my times playing outside with my brother. I don't see kids doing those things much anymore.
Erika
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though I like Jay Mohr a lot, this one started slow and I figured it was another celebrity book a la Jenny McCarthy who thought she was the first person to have a baby. But by the end I was laughing out loud (more like snuffling so people nearby wouldn't think I was crazy).
  • Saint: Why I Should Be Canonized Right Away
  • The Way Is Made by Walking: A Pilgrimage Along the Camino de Santiago
  • You Don't Have to Be Wrong for Me to Be Right: Finding Faith Without Fanaticism
  • Love 'N' Marriage
  • I'm Hosting as Fast as I Can!: Zen and the Art of Staying Sane in Hollywood
  • Three Plays: An Enemy of the People / The Wild Duck / Rosmersholm
  • Greek Drama
  • Shining at the Bottom of the Sea
  • Love and Living
  • The Other Mrs. Kennedy: An intimate and revealing look at the hidden life of Ethel Skakel Kennedy
  • How I Slept My Way to the Middle: Secrets and Stories from Stage, Screen, and Interwebs
  • A Laodicean: A Story of Today (Everyman Library)
  • Unto This Last and Other Writings
  • American Mirror: The Life and Art of Norman Rockwell
  • Confessions of a Prep School Mommy Handler: A Memoir
  • Shootin' the Shit with Kevin Smith: The Best of the SModcast
  • The Fifty-Minute Hour
  • No Dream Is Too High: Life Lessons From a Man Who Walked on the Moon
Jay Mohr is an American actor and stand-up comedian.

Mohr authored the best selling book Gasping for Airtime: Two Years in the Trenches at Saturday Night Live concerning his time as an actor on Saturday Night Live.
More about Jay Mohr

$7.99 $1.99
  • Maude
    $2.99 $1.49
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $14.95 $2.99
  • To Have or To Be?
  • Happy Accidents
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Circle Maker: Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears
    $8.99 $2.99
  • If Life Is a Bowl of Cherries, What Am I Doing in the Pits?
  • Bridge of Spies
  • Bringing Adam Home: The Abduction That Changed America
  • Girl in a Band
  • A Beautiful Work In Progress
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Talk Like TED: The 9 Public-Speaking Secrets of the World's Top Minds
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Principle of the Path: How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Detour from Normal
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Stuff Matters: Exploring the Marvelous Materials That Shape Our Man-Made World
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Shadow Divers: The True Adventure of Two Americans Who Risked Everything to Solve One of the Last Mysteries of World War II
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors: The Extraordinary World War II Story of the U.S. Navy's Finest Hour
  • Working with Emotional Intelligence
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Horse: The Daring U.S. Mission to Rescue the Priceless Stallions Kidnapped by the Nazis
“If you want God to laugh, make plans.” 0 likes