Start by marking “Mathias Sandorf” as Want to Read:
Mathias Sandorf

Mathias Sandorf

(Die grosse Jules Verne Ausgabe in 20 Bänden #17)

Trieste, 1867. Two petty criminals, Sarcany and Zirone, intercept a carrier pigeon. They find a ciphered message attached to its leg and uncover a plot to liberate Hungary from Austro-Hungarian rule. The two meet with Silas Toronthal, a corrupt banker, and form a plan to deliver the conspirators to the police in exchange for a rich reward. The three conspirators, Count San ...more
Published March 14th 2007 by ROH Press (first published 1885)

Algernon (Darth Anyan)
[9/10] Jules Verne hommage to The Count of Monte Cristo.
Jose Moa
There is another novel parallel to the Count of Montecristo and is Matias Sandorf by Verne perhaps written as a tribute to the acclaimed novel by Dumas.

The plot is very similar ,the novel begins in the city of Trieste where the Count Matias Sandorf is involved in a political plot and jailed in a fortess,but Sandorf gets away and to plan revenge of his enemies and the restitution of his good name and fortune.

The best part of the novel is the first where appear a series of puzles to solve,the seco
~Calyre~
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
« Entrez donc ! Entrez donc ! Suivez le monde ! répétait en s’époumonant le pauvre Pescade. Vous verrez là ce que vous n’avez jamais vu ! Pointe Pescade et Cap Matifou aux prises ! Les deux jumeaux de la Provence ! Oui… deux jumeaux… mais pas du même âge… ni de la même mère !… Hein ! comme nous nous ressemblons… moi surtout ! »

« Qu’est-ce que ce docteur Antékirtt ?
– Un fameux médecin ! Il vous guérit de toutes les maladies, même de celles qui viennent de vous emporter dans l’autre monde !
– Est-i
Phillip
Nov 02, 2009 rated it liked it
When I was a young teen I stumbled across William Pene Dubois illustrated edition of Jules Verne's "Dr. Ox's Experiment." Although The illustrations were a great enhancement to the whimsy of Verne's social experiment, the real draw to the book that kept me checking it out of the library time and time again was the extensive bibliography of that massive outpouring of extraordinary journeys from this literary phenomenon that extended far beyond the more famous trips under the sea, around the world ...more
Keeley
Nov 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read Verne in probably thirty years. It recently came to my attention that his oeuvre was a lot more extensive than I was aware of as a kid, and included this book that someone described as an homage to The Count of Monte Cristo. I'm a big Dumas fan and needed something to read, so I downloaded a huge collection of Verne in translation on Kindle.
Note: I don't think my review is about this edition. Can't find the edition I read in Goodreads.
The bad news first: the edition (published by
Juan Carlos Santillán
"Matías Sandorf" (3/5)

Tres patriotas idealistas están dispuestos a ofrendar sus vidas para liberar a su nación. Dos vividores y un banquero sólo desean ganar dinero sin miramientos ni escrúpulos. El azar cruza sus caminos, enfrentando ambas maneras de encarar la vida. Profundamente maniqueo, éste ha de ser uno de los libros de Verne con giros argumentales más abundantes y dramáticos. Lo mejor es el inicio, costumbrista y casi dramatúrgico.

10.05.17
Kieran
Jun 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Am currently translating a French novelization of the film from 1921, a film based on this Jules Verne novel which was dedicated by Jules to Alexandre Dumas Jnr in memory of his late father, and which Jules wrote in homage to Dumas Snr's 'The Count of Monte Cristo'. A rollicking tale of adventure and of retribution by heroic, noble revolutionary and scientist Mathias Sandorf.
Lukáš Horák
It's not a bad story,but I've already read better ones written by Jules. The other thing that decreased my rating is that from half of the book you can almost exactly predict how it ends.
Nešo Popović
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books written by Jules Verne...
Mirko
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Little less famous novel from a well known author. It starts as a story about spies and encrypted messages, but later the idea and goals of starting conspiracy is neglected, and it turns to be tale of revenge and honor, something like Count Monte Christo (which was role model for this book).
I took it in the library in Zagreb, it was old book, and they left it on the desk, free to anybody to take it home. Part of plot in the book took place in Croatia (in Pazin and Dubrovnik), so that was one rea
Hast
Dec 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
This was the first real novel I have ever read.

I liked it so much as a child. I was so amazed that the author started with the evil character. Add to that the fact that the man annouced by the very name of the book, Mathias Sandorf, apparently dies after the first couple of chapters and soon I was all like: "how is that even possible?". Moreover, I was impressed by the tehnic used to inscript secret codes. I started doing it myself. Do only thing I didn't like was the fact that he used circus c
GoldenGerbera
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At first (as my edition started with author's note that he was inspired to write this book after reading The Count of Monte Cristo) i thought it will be a rather sad copy. but instead it turned out to be an amazing trip arround the Mediterranean sea. The plot of the book is absolutelly foreseeable due to a reason menioned above, but the visits to ports of Mediterranean sea are wonderfull. Not a surprise anyway as the author is known for detailed descriptions of foreign lands. i feel like i had t ...more
Kori
Apr 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
A Hungarian nobleman conspires against the Austrian empire, is imprisoned and sentenced to death. So begins Mathias Sandorf, Verne's epic tale of revenge. I've been searching for this book for a long time. I read it in Spanish decades ago but it's been out of print in English for over 80 years. Classic Verne filled with travel and adventure. He dedicated it to Alexandre Dumas, his own Monte Cristo. Verne's novels are not known for being fast paced, but Sandorf is quite entertaining and provides ...more
J_BlueFlower
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
This book is slow. It could have been cut down to half without losing anything important. The characters are flat with Sarcany at the only possible exception. Sandorf seems to be a superhero capable to everything. I liked the first part with the cryptogram best. 2 stars for me means that I considered abandoning the book.

I had a hard time finding a free English version on the net. Gutenberg only have French and Netherlander. Finally I found this one: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/show...
Julio Esquivel
Empezó bien, pero se desinfla rápido. En cuanto a los personajes, resultan un poco planos (los buenos buenísimos y los malos malísimos). Además se nota que al final le dio pereza al autor desarrollar mejor la trama, pues el desenlace se notó en extremo apresurado. Aunque tiene partes que mantienen el interés en la historia hay una desmesurada cantidad de situaciones fruto de la casualidad, que aumentan la inverosimilitud del relato.
Julie
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I got interrupted reading this when I switched to pregnancy books, silly me - it was a really good book! I had heard it was a Jules Verne tale along the lines of The Count of Monte Cristo. Indeed it was! Adventure, love, revenge, and more. A fun read.
Håvard Bjørnelv
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: prosa
Kanskje en av Jules Vernes beste bøker, og det sier ikke lite! Dette er en eventyrlig fortelling i klassisk Verne stil. Dette er første gang (2008) at boka foreligger på norsk. Absolutt anbefalt!
Olivierco
Oct 24, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, in-french
The first part is almost as good as an Alexandre Dumas novel. The other four parts are far inferior and quite predictable.
Stefan Udrea
Aug 21, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed it actually, but it was too much of a ripoff of Alexandre Dumas' "Count of Monte Cristo", therefore...1 star.
Lena Donan
Audio_verneovský Gróf Monte Christo - vynikajúco podané, moje passauské cesty neboli také pošmúrne... :)
Timea

• The Adventures of Gil Blas
  • Les Contes du chat perché
  • Le Barbier de Séville ou La Précaution Inutile
  • The Country Doctor
Jules Gabriel Verne was a French author who pioneered the genre of science-fiction. He is best known for his novels Journey to the Center of the Earth (1864), Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (1870), and Around the World in Eighty Days (1873).

Verne wrote about space, air, and underwater travel before navigable aircraft and practical submarines were invented, and before any means of spa

Die grosse Jules Verne Ausgabe in 20 Bänden (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Reise zum Mittelpunkt der Erde - Fünf Wochen im Ballon
  • Von der Erde zum Mond - Reise um den Mond - Ein Drama in den Lüften
  • In Search of the Castaways; or the Children of Captain Grant (Extraordinary Voyages, #5)
  • 20000 Meilen unter den Meeren - Eine Idee des Dr. Ox
  • Het geheimzinnige eiland - de verlatene
  • Around the World in Eighty Days (Extraordinary Voyages, #11)
  • Der Kurier des Zaren - Die Stadt unter der Erde
  • Reise durch das Sonnensystem - Der Schuß am Kilimandscharo
  • Die 500 Millionen der Begum - Die Leiden eines Chinesen in China
  • Robur the Conqueror (Extraordinary Voyages, #29)