Start by marking “A Poetics of Postmodernism” as Want to Read:
A Poetics of Postmodernism

A Poetics of Postmodernism

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  316 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
First published in 1988. Routledge is an imprint of Taylor & Francis, an informa company.
Published May 12th 1988 by Routledge

To ask other readers questions about A Poetics of Postmodernism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Poetics of Postmodernism

Dajana
Apr 17, 2017 added it
Svakako vrlo korisna studija, uz napomenu da smatram da je to sve moglo na mnogo manje strana. Previše ima ponovljenih teza i parafraza jednog istog (nešto kao kad Bahtin govori o karnevalizaciji), ali bar sam zapamtila, pa to i nije tako loše. :)

Svakako preporučujem, ali bih se složila sa Tijaninim upozorenjem da je bolje čitati u originalu. Ja sam čitala sve u prevodu čisto zato što mi je prevodilac profesor Postmoderne teorije i književnosti i zanimalo me je sa čim imam posla. :D
Mattia Ravasi
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Featured in my Introduction to Postmodernist Literature: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT4L4...
Very interesting, very illuminating, though I don't buy Hutcheon's theory, or to put it differently, I don't like her categorization very much. Also, seriously Linda, a simile's not a metaphor, that's basic.
Phillip
I absolutely love both of Hutcheon's books I've read so far, in fact I keep returning to A Theory of Parody throughout my own work. But A Poetics of Postmodernism has a broader focus and will almost certainly become my go-to text for Hutcheon references in future.

Essentially Hutcheon's argument is that postmodern historiographic metafiction (a term she coined) is principally concerned with the epistemological status of the past (and therefore the present, which is constructed out of the past). T
Dan
Mar 11, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: cultural-study
Useful for its discussion of that genre Hutcheon terms “historiographic metafiction, and for its extensive bibliography listing works on postmodernism.
Vanessa Hack Gatteli
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lendo pela quarta ou quinta vez, achei repetitivo (mas também, né...).
Christopher Howard
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Highly coherent and affirms my theory that I haven't wasted the last year or so of my life on a bunch of gobbledygook.
Camila
Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Reading this for the third time for research reasons and I still don't get why Hutcheon repeats herself so much.
Steven
Sep 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Should be an essential text on postmodernism just for its bibliography. Index is also quite useful. An interesting aspect of this book first published in 1988 is that it argues(d) the need for a poetics of postmodernism - which we take for granted now. This "arguing for" makes for more engaged reading than some of the other tomes in which so much is assumed. Strong sections on historiographic metafiction.
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Well, it would be a lie to say I completely read this book, but books like these aren't always for reading front-to-back. Hutcheon has a truly deep understanding of the content, and she very thoroughly details the conversation surrounding postmodernism. Some of it is a bit over my head, but Hutcheon overall is skilled at making big ideas accessible and digestible.
Lysergius
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: postmodernism
Er, yes. I think I get the picture now. Problematizing the paradox of historiography as metafiction. OK. Good.
Jussi S
Apr 20, 2017
Davor
Jul 11, 2012
  • Postmodernist Fiction
  • Storming the Reality Studio: A Casebook of Cyberpunk & Postmodern Science Fiction
  • Why Write?
  • The Springs of Affection
  • Ocean of Sound: Aether Talk, Ambient Sound and Imaginary Worlds
  • The Bob Dylan Encyclopedia
  • V.
  • Intertextuality (New Critical Idiom)
  • Poem Strip
  • Happy Birthday, Jack Nicholson
  • En defensa de la intolerancia
  • Fondamenta degli incurabili

$10.74 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99