Start by marking “On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness” as Want to Read:
On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness

On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness

(The Wingfeather Saga #1)

Once, in a cottage above the cliffs on the Dark Sea of Darkness, there lived three children and their trusty dog Nugget. Janner Igiby, his brother Tink, their crippled sister Leeli are gifted children as all children are, loved well by a noble mother and ex-pirate grandfather. But they will need all their gifts and all that love to survive the evil pursuit of the venomous ...more
Published (first published March 18th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness, please sign up.
Micah In reading the books you won't find the words "Jesus," "repent," or "hell," so in that sense it won't feel religious. Perhaps the most direct…moreIn reading the books you won't find the words "Jesus," "repent," or "hell," so in that sense it won't feel religious. Perhaps the most direct reference to religion is a frequent use of the word "Maker," which is clearly a reference to diety.

However, the Christian overtones could not be more clear. Dealing with themes of identity, forgiveness, faithfulness, and sacrifice, anyone familiar Christianity will easily connect the dots back to biblical themes.

These four books tell a fantastic adventure of a family trying to survive against an evil force set on destroying them. I can't help but think anyone will enjoy them, even if you are looking to avoid overt Christian/religious themes. (less)
Trish Some of the best books I've ever read. Not just because they are entertaining but because he is an extremely talented writer too.

Start your review of On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness
Sara
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a war story. A compelling, intriguing, sometimes quirky but deeply moral war story. This is the kind of story that helps us believe that we could stand and be counted if called upon to do so. This is a story that feeds the imagination and stretches the soul and it is a beautiful testimony to the power of family. It is a very good story to have in our moral imaginations.

Getting into the early pages is more than a bit disorienting. Like Middle Earth, we have humans and other creatures
Neil R. Coulter
2019 re-read:
We tried to read this book together as a family several years ago, at the recommendation of another family member who had loved it. We didn’t make it very far. Strangely, my original comments about the book (which you can see below) attracted more response here than anything else I’ve written. Every time I got a message that “so-and-so commented on your review,” I would quickly pray that it wasn’t yet another comment about On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness. But it usually was.
Elizabeth Dragina
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memorable
Andrew Peterson is an amazing story teller. WHOA.

That was epic and riveting and suspenseful and mysterious and awesome and loveable and GAaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I've never seen such wonderful words woven together. It reminds me of the classic fantasies with a magical aura, but so uniquely it's own, with a modern twist.

It's told in a second person POV so I'm amazed I connected with the characters as much as did.

Description ~ It was different and enjoyable. I loved it because Peterson's
Allison Tebo
*Mini Review*

This book takes a lot of classic tropes and makes them irresistibly fun with a slightly wry, tongue-in-cheek attitude. The plot moves slowly, and the author spends a lot of time ambling through his world-building – but, please, amble away when it’s a world this imaginative! From the evil Fangs of Dang, to singing dragons, and very mysterious book shops – this world is full of delightful layers and details. And then we have the characters. The siblings; reluctant hero Janner, the
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
Look at that gorgeous cover. You know, I feel like all the middle grade authors steal the great artists of our time. And I'm okay with that.

Image result for edge of the sea of darkness

And yay I got an ARC for a popular middle grade book. I'm so happy!!!

Lila Kims
I wasn't quite expecting to love this book as much as I did. On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness was just what I needed, I guess. XD

Can we talk about Janner for a second?? He's such a golden-hearted little adventurer. <3 And he's SO RELATABLE. As an older sister, I could totally relate to the responsibility he felt to take care of his younger siblings. I could see myself reflected in his protectiveness of them, in his hissed protests when Tink did something very, uh, brave. I related to
R.F. Gammon
This feels like heresy...but 3.5 stars.
Mandi1082
On the Edge of Dark Sea of Darkness by Andrew Peterson was a lot of fun to read. I loved the descriptions of the made up characters and I could picture them perfectly in my head. This book is geared towards children but just as great for adults. I enjoyed the array cast of characters especially Peet.

I want to thank Netgalley for providing the ARC of this book for an honest review. I can't wait to get my own completed copy with illustrations and maps of all.
Jesseca Wheaton
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable fantasy book. Looking forward to reading the rest in the series. :)
Montzalee Wittmann
On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness by Andrew Peterson is a book I requested from NetGalley and the review is voluntary. First, I love the cover! Wow, when I saw that I just had to read this!
The book didn't let me down either. I tried to think of what the book reminded me of but it really is in a class by itself. It had a bit of Terry Pratchett, Lord of the Rings, touch of Narnia, and just a bare sprinkle of the Wizard of Oz.
I thought it was going to be just a kid's book but boy was I
Redheadkate
Nov 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was the subtitle that got me On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness: Adventure. Peril. Lost Jewels. And the Fearsome Toothy Cows of Skree. While you might be scratching your head in confusion, I’m going, “yeah, tell me about those toothy cows”.

I listened to the audio version of the book. Oh, it was everything the title promised and more. I love Peterson’s impish humor, yet there is depth to the book. I longed to be in my car just to listen to the story. It made me want to drive to the end
Lia Marcoux
Jan 06, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I will not be finishing this book. However, I will also not be criticizing it, since my main takeaway was a feeling of deep, hopeless yearning to be Terry Pratchett, and I won't make fun of someone's dreams.
Hannah Walsh
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I was so surprised by this book! When I first picked it up, I wouldn't have guessed I'd be ending up giving it a five-star rating. This book is a real jewel.

Reasons Why This Book is Great:

1. It's a high fantasy set in an incredibly unique, quirky world.

2. It's full of fun, likable characters. They have crazy names, too, which is a bonus.

3. It's funny.

4. It's scary.

5. It's well-written and full of twists (some of which I predicted, but there were some that took me by surprise)

6. It's by a
Loren
Apr 21, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
From ISawLightningFall.blogspot.com

I always feel a bit apprehensive when a musician decides to try his (or her) hand at writing. It’s one thing to pen short snippets of lyrical verse. It’s another to hold a reader’s attention over several hundred pages. Fortunately, singer/songwriter Andrew Peterson’s On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness more than entertains, despite a few literary failings.

The Igiby family lives on the outskirts of the sleepy hamlet of Glipwood on the continent of Skree in
JD Sutter
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this a little difficult to get into at the beginning. The first handful of chapters move excruciatingly slow, but things do pick up around the quarter mark or so. The story world and its creatures are a little difficult to envision, but I soon decided to just overlook that and try to get into the characters.

The main characters of Janner, Tink, and Leeli are wonderful. I really did like them after the story finally got going and began to pique my interest. The other characters in the town
Samson
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A emotionally complex tale, with heart-wrenching moments and a wacky humor.
Madison
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
4.5 for a few unnecessary jokes/comments, but besides that... this was the BEST!!!
Jocelyn Green
My kids, ages 11 and 13, loved this book we read aloud together. The footnotes and appendices are pretty funny--but also make it easier to read from a paperback, rather than using the audio version which we tried at first. Looking forward to the next book in the series.
Sarah Wolfe
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful, chuckle-aloud funny, exciting, and generally pretty wonderful. I can't wait to read the rest of the series. What a wonderful read-aloud this would make!
Hannah
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun YA fantasy adventure. The first half was a bit slow and somewhat awkward, and I started this more than two years ago without finishing. However, it's one my son's favorite series, so I returned to it and am glad I did. He tells me that each subsequent book is better than the one before, so I will most likely plod my way through the entire series as time permits.

It seems to me that, at the beginning of the book, Peterson was still trying to figure out just what kind of world he was setting
Carol Bakker
I've been reading aloud to my grandkids since they were babies. I've never before known them to attach themselves to a book like they have to this one. I read them a few chapters one day a week. They remember details from where we left off every time. We finished today; they immediately asked me to start the second book in the Wingfeather Saga.

Humor is squirreled in the footnotes (what kids' book has footnotes?) and the creature's names (The Fangs of Dang). There is green blood and maggot loaf
Katie W
Jan 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book drew me in with the humor and creativity of names and phrases and situations. Some of it was the silly/eye-rolling kind but in a good way - I smiled and laughed through a huge portion of this book. I was also drawn in by the story and the characters.

I especially liked Peet and how he is crazy, interesting, mysterious, sad, but also good, kind, a protector/hero. I kept wanting to find out more about him. I like when things aren't always what they seem. One of my favorite parts was when
David Gregg
Imaginative settings and characters, exciting plot with compelling twists, strong morals — an excellent story!

I listened to the audiobook version by Oasis Audio. I found the narrator a little slow and lumbering, and there are some places that should have been re-recorded. I had a little difficulty staying engaged in the first part of the book because of this, but I think it is no fault of the author. Once the story picked up speed, I never gave another thought to the narrator. I became so
Rita
Feb 26, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, fiction, fantasy
This was my third attempt at reading or listening to this book. The first time (a couple of years ago) I couldn't get past the first chapter - the writing style was so annoying to me. The second time (several months ago) I kept falling asleep while listening. My friends who had read the book encouraged me to keep reading, that it would get better. So I tried it one more time. In the beginning, I was no less annoyed and no more captivated, but I followed the advice of my friends and pressed ...more
Jane
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This whole book was a pretty good read. The characters were real and I connected with them in all their struggles. I just loved the humour, and Peet the Sock Man was just killing me to find out who he was. The Fangs of Dang were nice and evil, and the 'nameless menace' (by name of Gnag) put a good evil shadow over everything. There were slight Christian references which I really liked, but it wasn't a major part of the plot. I'd recommend this for around 9-15 ish ages, but older people would ...more
Susie Finkbeiner
It took me a little while to really get into this book. I don't know if it was the genre or just that I was super busy. But, I'm glad I persevered. It was a fun book and I look forward to reading the other books in the series.

Good for upper-elementary kids, I'd think. Some violence and monster blood. Also a few sad moments. Could be a really fun one to read aloud.
Valerie Kyriosity
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
This book was perfectly bad. Except for the perfectly lovable protagonists, the perfectly loathsome villains, the perfectly engaging plot, the perfectly delightful prose, and the perfectly listenable reading by Peter Sandon. But other than that...perfectly bad. You have been warned.
Jenaye White
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
One of my favorite fiction books I've read in a long time. I'm excited to dive into the next book in the Wingfeather series.
Tricia
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a fun start to this series. Listening together with my husband, we were hooked immediately.
J.C.
Every time I reread this book, it just gets better and better!!
Drink & Discuss: September 2016: The Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness 7 6 Oct 05, 2016 10:46AM

• The Bark of the Bog Owl (The Wilderking Trilogy, #1)
  • The Green Ember (The Green Ember, #1)
  • The Rise and Fall of Mount Majestic
  • Ember Rising (The Green Ember, #3)
  • Ember Falls (The Green Ember, #2)
  • The Fiddler's Gun (Fin's Revolution, #1)
  • The Secret of the Swamp King (The Wilderking Trilogy, #2)
  • The Black Star of Kingston (The Green Ember #0.5; Tales of Old Natalia #1)
  • The Way of the Wilderking (The Wilderking Trilogy, #3)
  • The Last Archer (A Green Ember Story, #1)
  • The Wreck and Rise of Whitson Mariner (Tales of Old Natlaia #2)
  • The First Fowler (A Green Ember Story, #2)
  • 100 Cupboards  (100 Cupboards, #1)
  • Fiddler's Green (Fin's Revolution, #2)
  • The Legend of Sam Miracle (Outlaws of Time #1)
  • The Dragon's Tooth (Ashtown Burials, #1)
  • Leepike Ridge
  • Henry and the Chalk Dragon
Hey, folks. If you're just discovering me or any of my work, it can be a little confusing because there are several facets to it. Here’s the rundown:

• I write songs. I also record them to these cool things called CDs and put on concerts around the country. (And beyond! To my great delight, I get to play in Europe every year or so.)

• I write books. I’ve written a four-part fantasy series for young

The Wingfeather Saga (4 books)
  • North! or Be Eaten (The Wingfeather Saga, #2)
  • The Monster in the Hollows (The Wingfeather Saga, #3)
  • The Warden and the Wolf King (The Wingfeather Saga #4)
“Blood was shed that you three might breathe the good air of life, and if that means you have to miss out on a Zibzy game, then so be it. Part of being a man is putting others' needs before your own.” 31 likes
“There's just something about the way he sings. It makes me think of when it snows outside, and the fire is warm, and Podo is telling us a story while you're cooking, and there's no place I'd rather be--but for some reason I still feel... homesick.” 23 likes