Start by marking “The War of the Dwarves (The Dwarves, #2)” as Want to Read:
The War of the Dwarves (The Dwarves, #2)

The War of the Dwarves (Die Zwerge #2)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  3,880 Ratings  ·  120 Reviews
The dwarves have gone to battle and they have been victorious. But outside the realm, dark forces are at work.. .

A secret army of Orcs, made immortal by the hidden powers of the Black Water, now marches towards Girdlegard, set to unleash its fury upon the kingdom. Sooner than they realize, Tungdil and his comrades will need to summon all their courage to do battle against
Published (first published October 31st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The War of the Dwarves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The War of the Dwarves

Bart Van Loon
My experience with the sequel to the Dwarves is similar as with its predecessor: nice story in a nice world, but too straightforward and just too simple. Characters are still the caricatures of themselves (especially Ireheart and Rodario) which is quite funny, but doesn't do the story justice. Also, Girdlegard and its history deserve much more attention in my opinion. Finally, the (few) moral dilemma's of the characters in the book are not investigated in depth.

So, in general I like the world, t
Kaohlir
Apr 08, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern-fantasy
In an unorthodox move by myself, I will give The War of the Dwarves a short-review in comparisson to other fiction I have rated, which frankly is all it is worthy of.

Synopsis and generic summary
Your traditional Tolkien-esque yarn, with characters not cliched, but certainly typical of the more traditional-beginning`s of the Fantasy genre. The framework of the Characters seem stripped from those of The Lord of the Rings, without the piercing seriousness of the Silmarilion, or the contemptous, c
Tobi14D
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nachdem ich nun den zweiten Band der Zwergenreihe gelesen habe, möchte ich ein kleines Review dazu verfassen. Ich habe das Buch direkt im Anschluss an den ersten Band gelesen und konnte ohne Probleme weiterlesen. Den Übergang zwischen den beiden Büchern finde ich gelungen, ich hätte auch nach dem ersten Buch aufhören können. Die folgenden Punkte sind so geschrieben, dass die möglichst wenig Spoiler enthalten, ich versuche sie gering zu halten!

Grundsätzlich zum äußerlichen:
Ich habe die Taschenbuc
Tony Hendrix
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The big baddies in this guy's books are lame but I really like the characters
Mitchel Smith
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book! Completely enjoyed it. Recommend it to anyone that enjoys colorful characters.
Jimmy
May 10, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, crap
Carmine
Buon seguito di un discreto libro avente, come grande pregio, quello di rimettere al centro dell'attenzione il popolo dei nani.
"La guerra dei nani" si focalizza molto meno sugli aspetti culturali della razza, prediligendo un approccio più rutilante e guerresco.
A farne le spese di questa scelta è sicuramente Tungdil manodoro, sin troppo piatto e apatico rispetto al primo volume.
Heitz offre una caratterizzazione molto sempliciotta (per esser gentili); inoltre si riscontrano alcuni passaggi narrati
David
Jun 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenge
Nice thing is - it is a long book so value for money. Overall, it's entertaining but not a page-turner. Unlike some books, I didn't find myself compelled to read late into the night. The characters are good generally but there are times when they are a little too comical. You do want the central hero, Tungdil, to do well and he does. There are some nice twists to keep the story from being too straightforward, but they are fairly predictable. Telling the tale from the dwarves viewpoint is nice an ...more
Brian
Nov 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story is great. The writing is "eh" probably because it's a translation.

I love the characters of this book and the ideas behind the world that Heitz creates. However, things do have a tendency to just... happen. It's like most stories in that you know X, Y, and Z are events that have to take place, but usually the author fleshes out the struggle to accomplish it. In War of the Dwarves (and in the Dwarves, really) the actual struggles and climax points are brief and overly simple. I don't kno
Mark
Sep 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another home run Mr. Heitz you continue to sate my appetite for destruction and story. Tungdil and friends return in this epic. I like how there is more conflict added within the main character to keep the story interesting. And an in depth view on the thirdlings and how tungdil truly is unique. Tungdil continues to be the leader we know he can be. I am overly excited to read the third book and will be buying the 3rd on release day.
Dokusha
May 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Wie schon der erste Band ist auch dieser gut geschrieben. Alles, was man von einem Fantasy-"Epos" erwartet, ist da: große Schlachten, gute Freundschaft, schwierige Krisen, und auch das Quentchen Humor und etwas Liebe und Gefühl sind vorhanden, aber nicht zu aufdringlich. Ich werde die Serie auf jeden Fall weiterlesen.
Anna
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good, nearly as good as the first one! Loved following along with Tungdil and his friends in the fight to save thier world. Many surprises happened along the way I was NOT expecting! Great book!
Nareg Megerdichian
One of the biggest "FUCK YEAH" moments in my life came from this book. Filled with humor, drama and of course action the "war of the Dwarves" was very satisfying.
Long live the children of the smith.
Mel Curtis
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just as good as the first!!! Love these sort of books that make your imagination go wild. Love it Love it Love it.
Tony
Oct 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, i-own-it, dwarves
This book is fooking amazing.

Buy it.
Daniel Alemán D.
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy
Follow the track of Tungdil the hero of Girdlegard through a new path of epic adventures misleading adversaries and solving the mysteries of his birth.
This story expand the dwarves universe with reclusive rebels, dangerous dwarf killers and demigods that threat the life of all creatures in the realm.
Easy to read, with a lot of high pitched cinematic, comedy relieves and emotional roller coasters in the life and dead of Markus Heitz's dwarves.
Kayla
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heitz's writing improved significantly in this second book. The plot and all its twists are much better and far less predictable than they were in the first one.
A wonderful book with good plot, characters, enemies, and surprises. Definitely worth reading.
Stefanie Hasse hisandherbooks.de
Zitat:
„Um sie herum tropfte und plätscherte es. Eiszapfen schmolzen, der erstarrte Wasserfall neben dem Eingang hatte seinen durchsichtigen Panzer aus gefrorenem Wasser gesprengt und toste befreit. Gischtnebel stiegen in die Höhe und brachten die Luft zum Schillern.“
(S.123)

Inhalt:
Das Tote Land und seine Horden wurden besiegt. Die flüchtenden Orks, Oger und andere Bestien werden von den Verbündeten verfolgt.

Tungdil plant, die Zwergenfestung am Steinernen Torweg wieder zu bevölkern und das Geborg
Michel Sizaire
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Looking forward to reading the next book.
Rick
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
enjoyable and a better translation job than book 1. will probably look at book 3 in the series.
Phillip
2.5/5
Jordan Grossman
Good story, if you like the first one you will probably like this one. Nothing to be amazed about, but a worthwhile read.
Martin
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Josephine Helterhoff
In my opinion, this is nothing more than an unimaginative wannabe fantasy book. It has nothing new or entertaining to offer. It seems as if the author tried very hard but failed. And what the heck was that weird dwarf love thing?
Robin
Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tungdil Goldhand, the hero of The Dwarves, doesn't get long to bask in the glory of forging an axe of power, slaying a dark wizard, and being called to re-found an extinct dwarvish kingdom, one of five in the mountain-encircled realm of Girdlegard. His true love's clan refuses to give him her hand in marriage because, in spite of his heroics, they don't trust him - a foundling, an orphan, and a member of the Thirdling kingdom, known as the dwarf killers because of their murderous hatred of all o ...more
Lee Broderick
Between other things in my life and the displacement that the new GoodReads homepage has induced in me, I find myself visiting GoodReads much less. So much that this review comes two weeks after I finished the book, so my review is impressionistic.

As the story began, I was left with the impression that Markus Heitz never banked on getting his sequel published. I remember as I finished The Dwarves that I was surprised by its completeness. The worst legacy of J.R.R. Tolkien is born of his publis
Jonathan
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having thoroughly enjoyed the first volume of Markus Heitz’s high fantasy trilogy I was pleased to discover that the quality doesn’t drop with “The War of the Dwarves” the second instalment. The story follows straight on from “The Dwarves” dealing with the aftermath of the cataclysmic events that led to the destruction of the evil wizard Nudin. Once again we follow the foundling dwarf Tungdil, as he struggles with his saviour status and the intricacies of Dwarven culture. Although much of the s ...more
Hannah Spitzer
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, deutsch
Die Geschichte der Zwerge geht weiter. Gefiel mir gut, aber es war kein Buch was ich nicht mehr aus der Hand legen konnte.
SRue
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nachdem mir der erste Band sehr gut gefallen hatte, begann ich sofort mit dem zweiten Buch der Reihe. Gleich zu Beginn trifft der Leser wieder auf die charmanten und vielschichtigen (Haupt-)Charaktere.

Die Story hat ein sehr hohes Tempo, was der Spannung sehr zu Gute kommt. Dennoch hätte ich mir manchmal etwas ausführlichere Passagen erwünscht, da mir das Ganze teilweise etwas „gehetzt“ vorkam. Ein weiterer Kritikpunkt sind für mich die mehr gewordenen Handlungsstränge, da mich gewisse Perspektiv
Francesco
Vote: 3

Mi è piaciuto di più del primo libro della serie: sviluppa meglio i personaggi e aggiunge un po' di carattere al mondo.
(NB: entrambi i libri possono essere letti in modo indipendente)

- Mondo (2,75):
Un po' studiato a tavolino ma sufficiente; la mitologia
(creazione dei popoli, dei, semidei, ecc.) risulta un po' troppo "storica" e poco mitica (nel libro le leggende non solo hanno un fondo di verità sono spesso vere, storiche).

- Personaggi (3,25): convincono abbastanza e, rispetto al primo l
  • Elfenwinter (Die Elfen, #2)
  • Die Trolle (Die Trolle, #1)
  • Bodyguard Of Lightning (Orcs: First Blood, #1)
  • Am Abgrund (Die Chronik der Unsterblichen, #1)
  • Das Erste Horn (Das Geheimnis von Askir, #1)
  • O Medo do Homem Sábio - Parte 1 (A Crónica do Regicida, Livro 2 - Parte 1)
  • Die Zauberer (Die Zauberer, #1)
Markus Heitz is a German fantasy, horror and science fiction author, most famous for his five-book Dwarves saga.

Markus Heitz was born in Homburg in 1971. He studied history, literature, and the German language. He now lives in the town of Zweibrücken.
More about Markus Heitz...

Die Zwerge (5 books)
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
  • Die Rache der Zwerge (Die Zwerge, #3)
  • Das Schicksal der Zwerge (Die Zwerge, #4)
  • Der Triumph der Zwerge (Die Zwerge, #5)
“Der Tod verändert auch die Lebenden.” 3 likes