Start by marking “Elizabeth Taylor: My Love Affair with Jewelry” as Want to Read:
Elizabeth Taylor: My Love Affair with Jewelry

Elizabeth Taylor: My Love Affair with Jewelry

"Here, in my own words and as I remember them, are my cherished stories about a lifetime of fun and love and laughter...I've never thought of my jewelry as trophies. I'm here to take care of it and to love it, for we are only temporary custodians of beauty."
--Elizabeth Taylor

She has mesmerized movie audiences since her debut in National Velvet at the age of twelve, dazzled
Published September 30th 2002 by Gem Guides Book Company

To ask other readers questions about Elizabeth Taylor, please sign up.
Susan My public library doesn't have a copy either. Fortunately, we have access by Interlibrary Loan, where it an be "loaned" by another library system. You…moreMy public library doesn't have a copy either. Fortunately, we have access by Interlibrary Loan, where it an be "loaned" by another library system. You might try WorldCat to see if you can find access.(less)

Jean Ramsay
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Her magical fucking life, man. Just unimaginable.
Irene
Sep 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2006
This is the book that made me love jewels in the worst way...and I love her take on it--meant to be loved by all, not just the owners.
Libby
Nov 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, jewels
I've been reading in the news that Elizabeth Taylor's jewels are going to be the stars of a traveling exhibit before they are auctioned. So I went to my bookshelves to pull out this book to check on my memories of them, and, yup, they're still as catch-in-the-breath dazzling as I recalled them. The illustrations are top-notch and the narration is casual and intimate, as tho you had just dropped in for a glass of tea and a good chat. Miss Taylor was not just a movie star glutting herself with bau ...more
Virginia
Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
I began my look into Elizabeth Taylor's life by reading a very large biography of her life. However, I had wished that I had seen more pictures of her and loved looking at all the jewelry she was lavished with. When the author suggest reading this book I couldn't get to the library fast enough. I truly wish that the stories in this book were more than the stories everyone knew. I was also shocked by how many pieces were just so grand! She could have bought a country with the amount of worth is i ...more
Becky Moore
Oct 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My mother passed this library book onto me once she was finished, and we both really enjoyed it. This is the only book Taylor wrote herself, and it's an interesting, fabled look inside her legendary Hollywood lifestyle. Seriously, her jewels would put the Queen to shame. The only thing that would make it better is if we could reach into the book and pull out one of the pieces for ourselves.
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm a sucker for anything that sparkles and Liz had a lot of it! The emeralds from Mike Todd and the custom diamond/pearl/ruby necklace as a replica of something from Mary, Queen of Scots are my favorites!
Westley
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The most beautiful woman in the world with some of the most beautiful jewels in the world.
Gini
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had pined for this book for many years. I finally purchased it and read it nearly in one sitting! The photographs were mesmerizing. What I was most taken with is the style in which this book was written. Being that these were Elizabeth Taylor's own words, you feel like you are chatting with a dear old friend. So comfortable and so open. It is definitely a book to collect and proudly host on your coffee table.
Joseph Hamilton
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great single source to see large full color photos of some of the most one of a kind and over the top jewels and jewelry in the world. Taylor's commentary is mostly limited to the mundane appreciation the jewelry received when she wore it but there are interesting but not gossipy accounts of the circumstances of purchase, etc. Only a passing reference to the hold-up.
Thestoryenthusiast
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Though I could care less about jewelry, I loved seeing Taylor's collection and hearing the memories behind each piece. It gave a personal glimpse at a legendary woman as well as at some famous pieces I would never have the chance to see otherwise.
Bill
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous... if you love Elizabeth Taylor, if you love jewelry.... what more can I say. Read it.
LRK
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very fun coffee table book, full of lovely pictures and Elizabeth Taylor's amusing reminiscences about her jewelry.
Dirty Magpie
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This isn't so much a read, although it is lovely at that, but a glorious intake of the photos of her amazing and beautiful jewelry.
Juliewheatcox.Net
Aug 15, 2018 rated it did not like it
I was very disappointed with this book. I was expecting photos of Elizabeth wearing her famous jewels, but it was mostly just jewelry that my husband & I didn’t even like, and he sells jewelry.
Nate
Oct 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Taylor came across as a collector cognizant of what she attained and its history, a nice shock to how most would expect celebrities to come across. The pieces in here were gorgeous.
Bookworm1858
230 pages
Non-fiction; Coffee Table Book
5/5 stars

Source: Library

Summary: Stunning pictures of some of Elizabeth Taylor's favorite jewelry with some of her anecdotes.

Thoughts: After I read two bios of Elizabeth this summer, I was very intrigued by the jewelry that played a role in them. Then I saw that this book existed so I requested it from the library. It's not so much a book as a coffee table book w
BikerDude
Feb 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Having read this book a couple of years ago I thought it would be interesting to see the Bulgari exhibition at the DeYoung Museum in SF.

I came to the conclusion I have no real interest in jewelry itself. The only thing that moved me at the exhibition were the photos of Liz wearing the jewelry. They had other photos of women wearing various bits of jewelry and none of them looked authentic. A couple of photos showed various royals wearing bits and only made me realize how ugly some royals were.

On
Autumn
Feb 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Ok I'll admit. As a little girl, I loved going through my Mom's jewelry drawer and gazing at her things. I never was allowed to wear them, just look. Looking at the stunning photographs of Miss Taylor's jewelry reminded me of those early days, so very long ago. The jewelry was simply stunning. I loved looking at it, even though I would never wear anything like that, even if I could afford it. Well, ok I'll admit it. There were two necklaces that I'd like to have. Just because I'm intelligent and ...more
Allyson
Sep 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
this book is a great one! the pictures of these amazing jewels make your mouth water. what i also love is that ms. taylor tells how she aqquire these items. she shows items she bought for her mother. but what impresses me the most is that she talks about how she is simply just the keeper of the jewels and that after she passes on, they will onto the next person. she never really owns them, just cares for them. the most beautiful pearls, rubies, emeralds and diamonds are appropriate for one of th ...more
Sandra Espinet
Oct 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It goes without saying what kind of legendary and iconic reputation Elizabeth Taylor left for herself, and her jewelry. I'm obsessed with this book! Elizabeth's incredible jewelry collection has made its way around the the world, selling at auctions for 4 to 5 times their value. This just shows how impeccable she was and how lovely and legendary each of her pieces of jewelry really were. Royalty! If you have the kind of admiration I do for Miss Elizabeth Taylor, this book is perfect for you.
Julie
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book as a sort of "guilty pleasure" at a library book sale. I am also a jewelry collector, but nothing I have begins to match the magnificence of Elizabeth Taylor's jewels! I'm not a starstruck kind of person--actually, I despise celebrity worship--but after reading this book, I wish I'd had a chance to meet her in person. I was utterly charmed with the story of how she saved as a child to buy her mother a brooch, and felt Elizabeth Taylor had really given everyone an intimate look ...more
Jan Polep
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Viewed some of David Webb's jewelry on the "CBS Sunday Morning Show" and followed up by getting up close and personal with some of his creations in this coffee table book about Elizabeth Taylor's jewelry. Webb's cultured pearl, diamond and emerald lion bracelet and necklace are featured as are 200+ pages of pictures Taylor's fantastic jewelry, the reasons behind the purchases and gifts, and how this beautiful woman wore them through the years. Gemstone eye candy...bring it!
Katrina
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: autobiographies
A must read for any fan of Elizabeth Taylor. This book has stunning photographs of Taylor's famous jewelry collection, along with humorous, heart-warming, and sometimes incredulous stories about the jewels' history and how Taylor obtained them. This book of anecdotes is a very candid expression of the kind of person Taylor must of been, bringing special insight to fans of Old Hollywood and Elizabeth Taylor herself.
Daisy
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
On the heels of Furious Love: Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, and the Marriage of the Century, this puts faces on the jewels Elizabeth Taylor famously loved, wore, gave, was given. This would have been a better read if the A--HOLES who desecrate library books hadn't torn out so many of the pages!
Jodi Papazian
Apr 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-reads
Rubies, Diamonds, and Pearls! Oh my!

Check this book out if you want to 1. See how the other half lives and 2. Be depressed about the contents of your jewelry box.

Not too much to read in this book except descriptions of the jewelry and how Liz Taylor got some guy to buy it all for her, however, the photographs are amazing.
Lee
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I purchased this book on the discount table at Barnes and Noble. What a deal!! Years later, when her jewelry went up for auction after her death, I re-read the book so that when I viewed the jewels at the auction house, I could remember her recollections of the gems. They had a life of their own.
Jamison
Feb 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
visually stunning pictures, compelling anecdotes on each piece of jewelry, glimpses of a life well lived. elizabeth taylor has lead a lucky life, and the respect and love she felt for burton and todd was reciprocated beautifully.
Kristen
Jul 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
OH! I loved this book. I got panicked a few days ago because I haven't seen it since we moved, but I found it last night. The pictures are gorgeous, the stories are entertaining and I think it's so cool that she'd share her treasures with the rest of us.
Victoria Price
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: glamour-art
The ultimate jewellery junkie, Elizabeth Taylor had some exquisite pieces with equally compelling back stories. For some one who is not really a fan of jewellery, I still find this book fascinating and beautiful.
Jaimie Teekell
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
This is the quintessential coffee table book. Beautiful illustrations, beautifully done, and I love the commentary from Taylor.
  • MM--Personal: From the Private Archive of Marilyn Monroe
  • The Dress Doctor: Prescriptions for Style, From A to Z
  • Greta Garbo: A Cinematic Legacy
  • What to Wear, Where: The How-to Handbook for Any Style Situation
  • The Golden Girls of MGM: Greta Garbo, Joan Crawford, Lana Turner, Judy Garland, Ava Gardner, Grace Kelly, and Others
  • Now
  • Sex and the City 2: The Stories. the Fashion. the Adventure.
  • Marilyn: The Last Take
  • Elizabeth Taylor
  • What I Wore: Four Seasons, One Closet, Endless Recipes for Personal Style
  • The Breakfast at Tiffany's Companion
  • The Grace Kelly Years: Princess of Monaco
Dame Elizabeth Rosemond Taylor, DBE is a two-time Academy Award-winning English-American actress. Known for her acting skills and beauty, as well as her Hollywood lifestyle, including many marriages, she is considered one of the great actresses of Hollywood’s golden years, as well as a larger-than-life celebrity.

The American Film Institute named Taylor seventh among the Greatest Female Stars of Al