Start by marking “Toxic Childhood: How the Modern World is Damaging Our Children and What We Can Do About It” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  320 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Every concerned parent MUST have this book! Children throughout the developed world are suffering, with obesity, dyslexia, ADHD, and other serious ailments on the rise. And it’s not simply that our diagnostic ability has improved—there are very real and growing problems. Top literacy expert Sue Palmer examines the danger zones, from poor diet, lack of exercise, and sleep d ...more
Published May 1st 2007 by Orion Publishing (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Toxic Childhood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Toxic Childhood

Louise
Sep 02, 2015 rated it did not like it
Okay, let me start by saying I didn’t entirely hate this book.

The author puts forward some good points that I completely agree with, particularly where the educational system is concerned. She talks about how there is too much emphasis on standardised testing; how there are too many children to a class, meaning that teachers can’t meet individual children’s needs; how physical education has become too “academicised”, with teachers focussing more on technique than overall fitness and enjoyment o
Thuraya Batterjee
Dec 07, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting
a good book,easily read ,careful analysis and simple tips.

i liked the concept of "Detoxifying" childhood,

especially tips about Detoxing family life:
recognise the supreme importance of time in bringing up children, the younger they are the more " slow time" you need.
learn the art of compromise.

Detoxing Education: primary education is not a race, make sure your child knows what bullying is and isn't.
The single most important way parents can help children do well is through talking with them and en
Himani Gupta
Mar 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
It is a well written book - lots of data and facts, lots of personal opinions and what sounds like plain common sense, yet still not too judgemental. I think the book reiterated a lot of what i knew intutitively about the need to spend time with our children, to think creatively about how we spend time together, to monitor what they eat and how they spend their time etc. I think the dangers of television, internet on minds of children are very real. It is good to be reminded of these things beca ...more
Lora O'Brien
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book makes so much sense. Non-judgmental, practical guidance and advice for raising your kids in as healthy a way as can be achieved in today's toxic society. A must-read for new parents, or those a little further along!
Aruna Kumar Gadepalli
The book that talks about in details various aspects of childhood. From various angles childhood is studied with various suggestions and readings. I strongly suggest to the educators, parents and those who are concerned with children.
Ali
Apr 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I am a Graphic Design student currently doing a project on the loss of childhood in western society. This book was a great help and one that I have referenced a lot in my research. And one that I will look back on if I ever have children of my own.
Anjuli Mehta
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I had to read this as part of my pre-reading for my PGCE primary course and it gave me a lot of insight into how the world is effecting children. I did agree with a lot that she said and also took on board a lot of her suggestions for when I eventually have children.
Zahrah Awaleh
May 15, 2007 rated it really liked it
Brilliant, straightforward analysis of what's gone wrong with our kids and what we can do about it. I saw her speak recently, and she's a great speaker.
Mushtaq  Tahir
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very well written book full of valuable points, guidelines and perspectives. There are many poisonous elements in modern society that are disabling our children, mentally, physically, spirituality and morally. This book gives us much food for thought and highlights the challenges faced by both the parent and child.
Naomi
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. I wish more people would read it. While I already try and do many of the things in this book, it gave me more ideas but also connected everything really well together. Really well written and very thought-provoking.
Figen
oyun oldukça ciddi bir iştir enharikulade tarafı da eğlenceli olmasıdır...diyor yazar. Çocuklarımızı ne kadar ihmal ediyor ve gerçek problemleri göremeden yakınıp duruyoruz. Hep ucuz zaferler peşindeyiz.
Hilary May
Mar 16, 2017 rated it liked it
I don't normally log the (far too many!) parenting books I read, but as I read this from cover to cover. It was a lot more reasonable than I was expecting from the title and comments I'd heard. To be honest I think you could sum these up as 'everything in moderation' 'there are pros and cons of most aspects of modern life' 'don't trust businesses' 'eat as natural food as possible' - did make me feel better for being pretty strict about my children's screen use and what they watch - although they ...more
Victoria
Jun 08, 2012 rated it liked it
I was recommended this by a friend and it certainly gave me food for thought. I couldn't put it down, and I found myself in agreement with a large amount of what Palmer outlines. A lot of it is common sense, such as junk food and TV news, but it was really useful to have the theory presented in a holistic way, and discuss how all aspects of modern society combine to create toxic children, There are certainly some ideas that I will refer back to when bringing up my own children. I also liked how ...more
Mazz Cole
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Informative without being patronising. Ok, a lot of this stuff is what we probably already know i.e. our children watch too much tv, eat too much sugar, don't get enough sleep etc. but there is still plenty of food for thought in there. And we all need a nudge in the right direction now and then don't we?

A lot of us read pregnancy or baby books in preparation for a new baby but perhaps barely read up on child care tips or advice for beyond the toddler years, if you'd like to, I'd st
Jayney
Jun 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Modern Society has changed at such as fast rate it the last thirty years. Even since my mother was bringing us up. Schools certianly haven't adapted for children and neither have our spaces.

Palmer writes about all aspects of society, from our daily routines & eating habits to work- life balances, media influence and lack of community. She clearly outlines how children's physical and psychological health are affected but these factors. She also gives advice for 'de-toxifying' and giving chil
Louis Cecile
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is very much like a future hindsight of what has happened to childhood. No neutral perspective is used here as the author is laying down a case for the problems today's children face and how it can be tackled. However depending on the reader, you either agree and follow each chapter intensely or be cautious to debate each claim. Either way it is a fascinating insight and much of the problems identified reflect also in today's adults. This can be a life changing booking for some parents ...more
Clare Davidson
Jun 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Interesting and useful information in some areas but the author falls prey to the traditional but outdated and unscientific idea that children must be taught to sleep. And that the best way to achieve this is to abandon them in their own room alone at night. As you can probably tell I don't subscribe to this idea. I'd suggest Kiss Me, how to raise a child with love by Carlos Gonzalez as a more sensible and helpful read.
Rosemary
This was well-written and engaging. I particularly liked the "Mind the Gap" section at the end of each chapter which rightly pointed out that the parents who would most benefit from the advice she was writing were the parents who are least educated and least likely to pick up the book, sadly. Basically, we need to look out for these parents and their kids and do the best we can for them (unfortunately it's usually not a lot).
Diane
Apr 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Inspiring book. Every parent, teacher and person who works with children should read it. The author emphasise the importance of:

- real play
- enough sleep
- teaching delayed gratification to kids
- childcare and education appropriate for a child's age-group
- protecting the children against excessive marketing and the excesses of the celebrity culture
- knowing the dangers and benefits of growing up in a multi-media "electronic village"

LouD
May 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Remind me to get this book out again when I have kids. Fingers crossed I wouldn't give my kids a 'toxic' childhood anyway, but it can't hurt. Would be interesting if someone wrote "Toxic Parent"..........idea.
Metia Bethell
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic and insightful book on the complexities of bringing up kids today. With more than a dash of common sense, Sue Palmer manages to get her point across in a kind and sympathetic manner without compromising her message.
Don't be afraid to read it! There are lots of solutions inside.
Aaron Cranmer
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Hruzek
Sep 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What our grandparents knew all along, but this busy world just doesn't have time for anymore.
Razia
May 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great read, very moderate in her opinions and super practical with her approach. Took a lot away from it for myself, on how I should also approach the modern world. Recommended!
Belinda Leatham
Nov 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book backs up its ideas with scientific facts which I loved. The follow up guide detoxing childhood is a practical guide and a simpler read. Both worth reading if you have kids.
Edina Rose
Sep 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
One of the best books I've read on parenting, though I haven't read many, so...
Shay
Apr 08, 2011 marked it as to-read
Local headteacher has recommended this - might give it a try...

Olivia
Jun 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Where questions are answered and suspicions are confirmed regarding childhood today.
Sarah Asp
Aug 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
An excellent parent guide filled with great suggestions to ensure our children get the childhoods they deserve.
Maureen
Very interesting...and I'm reading it again:)
  • More Money Than Brains: Why Schools Suck, College is Crap, and Idiots Think They're Right
  • Ecoliterate: How Educators Are Cultivating Emotional, Social, and Ecological Intelligence
  • Under Pressure: Rescuing Childhood from the Culture of Hyper-Parenting
  • Because Writing Matters: Improving Student Writing in Our Schools, Revised Edition
  • What Mothers Do: especially when it looks like nothing
  • 36 Children
  • Raising Girls
  • Stuffed: An Insider's Look at Who's (Really) Making America Fat
  • Teaching 2030: What We Must Do for Our Students and Our Public Schools--Now and in the Future
  • The No-Cry Potty Training Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Child Say Good-Bye to Diapers: Gentle Ways to Help Your Child Say Good-Bye to Diapers
  • The Power of Positive Parenting: A Wonderful Way to Raise Children
  • Baby-led Weaning: Helping Your Baby to Love Good Food
  • Righteous Porkchop: Finding a Life and Good Food Beyond Factory Farms
  • Mothering Your Nursing Toddler
  • The Purpose of Boys: Helping Our Sons Find Meaning, Significance, and Direction in Their Lives
  • Giving The Love That Heals