Start by marking “The Knight (The Patrick Bowers Files, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Knight (The Patrick Bowers Files, #3)

The Knight (The Patrick Bowers Files #3)

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  3,543 Ratings  ·  229 Reviews
In The Knight, the third installment in the bestselling series of thrillers featuring FBI criminologist Patrick Bowers, the stakes have never been higher. Agent Bowers is used to tracking the country's most dangerous killers, but now it looks like a killer is tracking him. When he realizes the murderer is using clues from an ancient manuscript as a blueprint for his crimes ...more
Published August 1st 2009 by Revell (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Knight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Knight

Melanie
May 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The Knight" is probably my favorite book in The Patrick Bowers Series so far. The story concept it so unique - a killer telling what he is going to do next through a medieval manuscript and then doing it. Although you'd think it would be easy to stop him, it's so not!

In this story Tessa (Patrick's Stepdaughter) finds a box in Patrick's closet (while packing his stuff) that is filled with her dead mother's momentos. One of those momentos is a key...but what does it go to? And how will it affect
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Quick review:

Cover: Fitting
Rating: R
Thumbs Up: 4.5
Overall: Entertaining
Characters: Well Written
Plot: A killer with a story to tell
Page Turner: Yes
Series Cont.? Yes
Recommend: Yes
Book Boyfriend: Patrick

SUMMARY (50 words or less)
This installment was better than the last and brought me to what I expected after reading the first. This author knows how to multilayer a story to keep your interest throughout.

For a full review and yummy pic, see my blog post at:
Julie Graves
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
Patrick Bowers is in his home state of Colorado trying to locate a serial killer that likes to depict stories in his killings. Several people have died and it looks like Pat is on the killers list to play a leading roll.

At the same time he is working the case in Colorado Patrick is having to fly back to Chicago to testify in the retrial of one of his most infamous foes. Richard Devin Basque was one of the first serial killers that Patrick put away. Unfortunately Pat made a mistake while arrestin
Janna
Aug 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whoa! If ever there was a book written that is just itching to be made into a movie - it is definitely "The Knight" by Steven James. Without even reading books #1 and #2 in the Patrick Bowers Thriller series I would say that this could be the next great trilogy of movies!

I am literally sitting on the edge of my bed, my eyes skimming the pages as fast as possible because the writing is so tight and intense that I fear I'm going to miss something! Is the killer going to succeed before Pat gets th
J.S. Bailey
May 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
TRUST NO ONE.

Seriously. That's the conclusion I've gathered from reading Steven James's books.

In The Knight, a serial killer who calls himself Giovanni murders people in specific ways to match grisly deaths that were portrayed in a book dating from the 14th century. A lot of the book is told from Giovanni's point of view. Since I've read two other James books I knew that Giovanni was going to be someone whom the main characters were already acquainted with, and I was right. I had my suspicions
Lori
Nov 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I have a confession, long time ago as a college student I loved to read true life crime stories and all Stephen King books. Some of them being "difficult" to read. So before I review this book I want to pass along what I was told myself (but be sure to read my opinion about the book below):

*A word of caution: this book is considered "gritty, chilling and intense". It contains graphic descriptions of disturbing crime scenes. While not for the faint of heart, the series has been described as "susp
Shiela
Although I quite enjoy this third book in the Patrick Bowers series (I remember just LOVING the other two), I felt that there were just too many loose threads and unanswered questions at the end of this one for it to merit more stars. I'm not sure if the author is planning on addressing these in the fourth book "The Bishop," but is seemed to me that they should have been attended to while the details were still fresh in the reader's mind.

Nevertheless, the chase was still a thrill with so many u
Megan
I read this book over two years ago, but I loved rereading it. I never got bored, at all, because it was a reread - which is sometimes possible. I couldn't remember who the culprit was or how the story ended, but while reading different things did seem familiar.

The story is about Patrick Bowers and in this one some characters from his past play a role. The ending is a real shocker, I didn't see it coming at all.

I definitely can see myself reading this book again in a few years, the book is tha
Holly
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such an intense book! And not for the faint of heart. If you like Criminal Minds then you'll enjoy this book.
Kalena
Thriller/Suspense; 3rd in the Patrick Bowers series. Let me just say that Steven James does not disappoint. The plot was excellent and I was surprised at the big plot twist. Although I am not a huge fan of the whole romantic entanglement parts, I do really enjoy the exploration of the relationship between Patrick and his step-daughter. The narrator was very good and one of my favorite things about this series is that I always learn from his stories. Definitely continuing the series--highly recom ...more
Harry
Imagine my surprise after reading all the Patrick Bower series by Steven James and in wanting to write a review of the books, to discover that this series is labeled as being published by a Christian publisher, as well as authored by a Christian...ergo, the Patrick Bowers series is labeled Christian Fiction. I'll tell you this, as an atheist, I didn't have a clue (not even a suspicion) of this throughout my reading of these novels.

Now, now, I am not implying that good Christian fiction doesn't e
Victor Gentile
Jul 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I had the privilege of interviewing Steven James, on our radio show “Kingdom Highlights”, for his new book, The Knight, the third book in his series on Patrick Bowers published by Revell. If you haven’t read the first two books you have missed a great treat. Steven James writes like Alfred Hitchcock directed, with incredible tense scenes that have way more going on in them then meets the first run through. Let me tell you right away this book is 492 pages of roller coaster intense ride. Don’t st
Pamela Walter
From my blog:

So, maybe not an official review. I don't really read them, so I don't know what needs to be in them, but if you are looking for a great mystery series, with adrenaline pumping twists and turns. GET THIS BOOK. Actually, get The Pawn, The Rook and THEN GET THIS BOOK.

With this latest story Steven James as solidified himself as my favorite author ever, and as the granddaughter of a large used bookstore owner, who loves to read. I've read A LOT of books!

Steven James has a way of writng
Melanie
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Knight was just as thrilling and suspenseful the second time around as when I first read it 3 (almost 4) years ago. The plot was very interesting and the ending was intense! It was intriguing how the killer was following an ancient manuscript as his template for the crimes he committed -- and pretty much foretold what he planned on doing next. Very creepy!

As with the previous books, Tessa was my favorite character. I just loved how cheeky she was and that she wasn't afraid to speak her mind.
Paul Penney
Too much of this book was wasted words. There was a lot of drama that had absolutely nothing to do with the killer and was meaningless to the storyline. Warning: this is not a book for male readers. All the soap-opera-type garbage with the lead characters daughter reading her mother's diary was painful to read and I skimmed most of it to get back to the actual story. There were also some dry courtroom scenes. The action and ending were decent, but this book could have been shorter. I devour most ...more
Caitlyn Santi
This was another great suspense read by Steven James! I really enjoyed it, I'm not sure that I loved it quite as much as the first two books mainly because there was one part of the killer's arsenal of weapons that personally didn't like (I don't want to spoil anything, but if you want to know what it was, and why I didn't like it feel free to message me!)
It was such a treat to immerse myself in the lives of these characters again, I love Patrick, Tessa is awesome, Ralph is absolutely hilarious,
Ronie
Nov 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good read. An element or two disappointed me or felt contrived, but it was nothing that detracted from the overall reading experience. Steven James definitely has cornered the market on crime thrillers, and I always get deeply embedded in the story and irritated with real life for interrupting the read. :-D
Lee Montgomery
This series is a bit gory in spots but I'm liking the characters.
Kristy
These books are always such an engaging read. Steven's writing style is superb. I love his characters, Patrick Bowers of course being my favorite...he's so likably human that it's impossible not to relate to him.
Beth Wynne
Pat certainly is ambivalent in his relationships with women!
Karen
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Series that just keeps giving.

From the first chapter in the first book it draws you in and keeps you begging for more. Keep them coming.
Martha
Jul 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great one! Love this series!
Dion
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Captivating, riveting throughout. Packed with smarts, an addictive plot, pacing, caring for characters, humour and more. I'm in awe of how he constructs it all. Brimming with interesting nuggets too. In the words of author Michael Connelly, "I need to read more of Steven james."
Tyler
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing book! It is wonderfully written, contains a good storyline, and has some amazing surprises!
Amy Meyer
Release Date: August 2009
Publisher: Revell Books
Genre: Christian Fiction, Crime Fiction
Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Publisher: The stakes have never been higher. FBI Agent Patrick Bowers is used to tracking the country's most dangerous killers, but now it looks like a killer is tracking him. When he realizes the murderer is using clues from a medieval manuscript as a blueprint for his crimes, Bowers faces a race against time to decipher wh
Louis Granoff
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Louise E.
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story. A lot of violence. Not exactly what I'm used to reading...by long shot.
Emilee (Fantastical Paper Realm)
Reviewed for http://fantasticalpaperrealm.blogspot...

The story:
Patrick Bowers is on a new case. It’s different this time though, this times its very personal. The Killer is using a story as the backdrop of his crimes, and he’s picked out a part for Patrick. As murders fall into place Patrick struggles to see beyond what he’s being shown.
Meanwhile, Patrick’s being a witness in the retrial of Devin Basque; the first man to make him feel really truly afraid. This forces him to face one moment of
Bryan
Feb 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bryan by: Eddie Coulter
As I continue to work through the series, I am surprised that Steven James keeps me guessing till the end. Some of the formula writing he has developed for the Bowers Series is good and entertaining but still slightly predictable, I know when something will happen but not the details. In this one a new killer, Giovanni, aka John, is terrorizing the Denver Metro area. Even though the story begins again with a killer pov it progresses well and the suspense rises believably.
(view spoiler)
Debbie
Aug 26, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense, thriller
"The Knight" was an exciting, fast-paced suspense novel. Though it has a who-done-it mystery to solve, it departed from the conventions of the mystery genre in one major way, so I'll simply call it suspense. This book was the third in the series, but you can still follow what's going on even if you haven't read the previous books.

The details about the job and the setting brought the story alive in my imagination. The good-guy characters were realistic, varied, and dealt with realistic relational
  • First the Dead
  • Dead of Night (Hidden Faces Series, #3)
  • Deception (Ollie Chandler #3)
  • The Justice Game
  • Wolfsbane (Discarded Heroes #3)
  • Deadlock (John Hutchinson, #2)
  • Ulterior Motives (Sun Coast Chronicles, #3)
Steven James is a national bestselling novelist whose award-winning, pulse-pounding thrillers continue to gain wide critical acclaim and a growing fan base.

After consulting with a former undercover FBI agent and doing extensive research on cybercrimes, Steven wrote his latest thriller, EVERY CROOKED PATH--a taut, twist-filled page turner that is available now wherever books are sold.

If you've nev
More about Steven James...

The Patrick Bowers Files (7 books)
  • The Pawn (The Patrick Bowers Files, #1)
  • The Rook (The Patrick Bowers Files, #2)
  • The Bishop (The Patrick Bowers Files, #4)
  • The Queen (Patrick Bowers Files, #5)
  • The King (Patrick Bowers Files, #6)
  • Checkmate (Patrick Bowers, #7)

“Follow the evidence to where it leads, even if the conclusion is uncomfortable.” 9 likes