Start by marking “Charles Dickens: Five Novels (Oliver Twist, A Christmas Carol, David Copperfield, Great Expectations, A Tale of Two Cities)” as Want to Read:

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  3,271 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Five Novels, Complete and Unabridged: Oliver Twist, A Christmas Carol, David Copperfield, Great Expectations, and A Tale of Two Cities.
Published May 24th 2010 by Barnes & Noble (first published 1861)

To ask other readers questions about Charles Dickens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charles Dickens

M.
Jan 31, 2014 rated it liked it
3 stars

This leather-bound Dickens collection is a must-have for any Dickens fan and any fan of Victorian England. It looks great on the shelf, especially next to those other leather-bound classics, if you have any. The novels included are: A Christmas Carol, A Tale of Two Cities, David Copperfield, Great Expectations, and Oliver Twist.

Wordpress
Nina
Mar 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I first started reading Dickens in junior high. My literature teacher Mrs. Porter suggested Oliver Twist. In English we read A Tale of Two Cities. My French ancestry made this especially interesting. I was hooked. I spent many mornings before school reading in that junior high library. I love how good triumphs over evil, but not until tremendous trial has been gone through. From Oliver Twist to Great Expectations one is never disappointed. Mr. Dickens is amazing and addictive.
Jana
Mar 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: books-i-own
March 29
Oliver Twist: 2 stars.
This story goes to show that crime does not pay.

March 31
A Christmas Carol: 3 stars.
There are some aspects of Dicken's writing that I really like, for example, he is one of the very very few authors who properly uses all punctuation marks. Although I said very few I can't think of another author who does...
On the other hand there are some issues I have with Dicken's writing and that is when he does not specify who he's writing about. There was a part in the story w
Caroline Åsgård
May 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This 1500-page baby is the 200th book I rate here on Goodreads! It's the biggest book I own (so far), and I've spent a good while on it, for obvious reasons (Edit: Actually only exactly two months, and I was away for vacation for one, lol). It's been a nice journey!

Here are my reviews on each of the five novels in this collection:
Oliver Twist
A Christmas Carol
David Copperfield
A Tale Of Two Cities
Great Expectations

I guess if you check out all of my reviews on those, there's not much more to say!
I
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I hated Great Expectations in high school so I was skeptical of this, but I'm a sucker for a nicely bound edition of classic works so I gave it a try. Dickens was far more entertaining reading it as an adult than it was as a kid.
P.S. Winn
Aug 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Five novels by a master, it doesn't get much better than that!
Rod
Jan 29, 2008 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
The last time I read this was for an 8th grade book report; maybe it'll be better 15 years later.
treva
Jan 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading several Dickens novels within about a year may have been a mistake, as they do feel repetitive -- Orphan Boy Makes Good! is the theme of 3/5 of the books in this omnibus. But they do all remain funny and thoughtful, clever and entertaining. I still retain a personal loathing of Tale of Two Cities, but that's my problem, not Charles'. My favorite of this bunch was definitely A Christmas Carol; not because I love Christmas, but probably because I love stories about ghosts and/or assholes g ...more
Inkpenshmee
David Copperfield is gong and tedious. Story resolutions do not merit the effort it takes to get to them -- do not let the first 200 pages fool you with their promises. I would recommend reading anything else by Dickens -- even and especially Bleak House -- before picking up this 600-page, slow-paced monstrosity.
Alexander Little
Oct 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great book. Boy is it long at times but I have enjoyed my journey with Dickens. Classics such as Oliver Twist, A Christmas Carol, Great expectations (My favourite), tale of two cites and the Adventures of David Copperfield.
Not all the novels were exciting though they did give great insight to Victorian life and values, something that can easily be forgotten in today technological world.
Melinda
Mar 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read David Copperfield and found it delightful. I had no idea I would like it so much. I'm taking a break from Mr. Dickens but can't wait to read some of his other stuff.
Nivas
Feb 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charles Dickens is one of the finest authors from England. Read these books in school. Timeless classics
Michelle
Not my favorite Dickens book.
أبو روفان
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good
Nikolina Hansen
Dec 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I don't know why it has taken me so long to read this classic. It is very good.
Tyrene
Aug 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Though I didn't read this exact version, I have read these all unabridged and these are probably my top five favorite Dickens works.
Zac
Jul 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So far, Dicken's amazing story telling shines through so well. Great author.
Cassie
May 12, 2009 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-read-fun
I've read Oliver Twist, A Christmas Carol, and A Tale of Two Cities - working on the other two :)
Kristi L.
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Charles<3
Elise
Jul 26, 2010 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Dickens is my favorite English writer! No one better for social commentary, history, character development. He takes real effort to read but his writing is pure treasure.
Samana
well all books r gr8 i m inspired
Mike
Feb 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first post-high school Dickens and it is incredible! - That guy could write - Highly recommend
Sushmi Roy
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome stories.... of Charles Dickens.....Love it so much......
Mandy
Sep 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I can't believe I finished this classic! If you're like me you might want to keep a dictionary handy. I found the reading laborious but beautifully written. Well worth the time and effort!
Thomas Daughton
May 10, 2017
Lindsey Rachelle
Aug 04, 2013
  • Jules Verne Seven Novels
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer/Adventures of Huckleberry Finn/The Prince & the Pauper
  • Jane Austen: Seven Novels
  • American Gods / Anansi Boys: Coffret, 2 volumes
  • The Art of War and Other Classics of Eastern Thought
  • Snap
  • Convergent Space
  • Jezebel's Ladder (Jezebel's Ladder, #1)
  • The Ballad of Bad Jack (Slab City Blues #4)
  • Chained to the Barbarian (Palace Brides #2)
  • Three John Silence Stories
  • Jane Eyre / Les Hauts de Hurle-Vent / Agnes Grey
Charles John Huffam Dickens (7 February 1812 – 9 June 1870) was an English writer and social critic. He created some of the world's best-known fictional characters and is regarded as the greatest novelist of the Victorian era. His works enjoyed unprecedented popularity during his lifetime, and by the twentieth century critics and scholars had recognised him as a literary genius. His novels and sho ...more
More about Charles Dickens...

“Be natural my children. For the writer that is natural has fulfilled all the rules of art."

(Last words, according to Dickens's obituary in The Times.)”
61 likes