Start by marking “Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4)” as Want to Read:
Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4)

Summer Knight (The Dresden Files #4)

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  99,971 Ratings  ·  3,208 Reviews
Ever since his girlfriend left town to deal with her newly acquired taste for blood, Harry Dresden has been down and out in Chicago. He can’t pay his rent. He’s alienating his friends. He can’t even recall the last time he took a shower.

The only professional wizard in the phone book has become a desperate man.

And just when it seems things can’t get any worse, in saunters t
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published September 3rd 2002 by Roc

To ask other readers questions about Summer Knight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer Knight

Mary Beth
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the fourth book in the Dresden Files Series. I was just in awe with this book! Also I love the character development. I just wish that Bob had a bigger part in the series.I just love Bob! The books so far seem to get better and better.
The villains are varied and enjoyable, and pulled from fairy tales and legends. They include mean plant monsters, psycho fairies, pixies, unicorns and more.

Harry Dresden, professional wizard, has practically become a recluse since he lost his girlfriend. A
Will M.
Dec 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I never considered reading about faeries, but it was a mandatory thing for me to do so because I really like the Dresden Files. Harry Dresden is no doubt one of my favorite fictional characters. Witty and crazy will always be a perfect match.

This novel was about faeries, and thrones. I really enjoyed how Butcher portrayed both. I've never read anything faerie related so I had no background knowledge of them. Based on the first three novels, Butcher is known for putting his own twists in the supe
Heidi The Hippie Reader
Harry Dresden, a wizard-for-hire, is in the thick of it. He's started a war between the vampires and wizards and the White Council is not happy about it. And, there's the small matter of his former girlfriend, Susan, who's been infected with vampire blood.

Can he save her from a terrible fate? Can he save himself?

Then, there's Karrin Murphy, the head of the supernatural department at the Chicago PD. She's suffering from nightmares caused by the last adventure that Harry brought to her doorstep. W
Philip
3ish stars.

I hope no one's offended if I call this series my guilty pleasure. :) There's finally some semblance of a coherent plot and as a result this is definitely the best book so far.

Drinking game for this book: every time Harry says the word "sensual" or one of its derivations.
Robin (Bridge Four)
Buddy read began April 27th on Buddies Books and Baubles

Look you know it is going to be a bad day when it starts out raining toads, there is an assassination attempt on your life, you girlfriend is avoiding you (she has some changes to deal with), you can’t find your good robe for your impending trial with the White Council and Mab shows up at your office.

At this point you’d probably be better off going back to bed. But since you inadvertently started a war between The Red Court of Vampires and
HFK
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Back with Harry.

It has been too long since I dedicated my time to our boy Harry, but I am glad to be back with this series after a longish break, and as usual, I did it with audiobook version.

I am so bad at doing audio versions because my mind likes to wander all over the place, and I tend to miss bits and pieces every now and then, but I am just too in love with the sexy voice and narration style of James Marsters to actually read these books.

And I am still kind of in love with Harry that has
Lyn
Apr 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some Fairies, Puck, Oberon, Rob Anybody, Tinkerbell, Rumpelstiltskin, and Jareth gather in the Never Never to play Dungeons and Dragons and discuss Jim Butcher’s 2002 Harry Dresden novel Summer Knight.

Puck: Jareth, has anyone ever told you that you look like David Bowie?

Jareth: I get that all the time, you have no idea.

Puck: So what do you know about the fourth Dresden book, Summer Knight?

Rob: We dinna know anythin'!

Tinkerbell: tinkle!

Rumpelstiltskin: I liked it actually, plenty of action, some
Hannah
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, audiobook
That was so much fun! I wasn't convinced about this series before - it was nice enough to read but Dresden got on my nerves so bad with his white knighting and his deciding who gets to know what and who is capable of protecting themselves (hint: women aren't). But this time around I really enjoyed it, very much so. A lot of that enjoyment comes from James Marsters' absolutely brilliant performance that lend Dresden a humanity and humility that I didn't see before. The voice work fits the charact ...more
Paul
Aug 30, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before I start gnawing on the book, let me first say that I enjoy Butcher's writing overall. He does good character, a romping pace, and makes me care about his protagonists. In fact, Butcher's a good enough writer that he enters the "good enough to realize his mistakes, which makes it so frustrating when he misses them" category. So...yes...he's quite good.

But....

This is definitely the lesser of the 1st four books. I'm muchly bothered by the severe escalation of the power scale in this book, as
StoryTellerShannon
This is a revised review as of 4/14/2013.

The strength of this novel is on the world building and character of Harry Dresden with a plot that moves along fast. One thing you can always say about the recent books is that they are fun and fast reads. This presumes you're a fan of Harry (a wise-cracking detective for hire style wizard, who had a tendency to piss off a lot of people) and the writing style. In fact if you don't like Harry then you shouldn't be reading these books.

In book four, he's
Lindsey Rey
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, mystery, 2015
[4.5 Stars]
Otila
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, audiobook

I really enjoy listening to this series and this book has been my favorite so far.

Of course it does, James, don't be silly.

Aside from James Marsters ear-gasms, I'm really starting to get into the overarching storyline that seems to be developing.

On to the next one!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Summer Knight starts with Harry in a very dark place. He is reeling from the fact that his girlfriend has left him, and she's been changed into a near-vampire by the Red Court of Vampires. He feels personally responsible, and is desperate for a way to help her. This despair has affected him to a deep level, and he's barely functioning, living in a pig-sty, and not even taking cases or taking care of himself. It was very hard to see him like that. And things don't get better for Harry. Because he ...more
Conor
Aug 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another strong installment in the Dresden series. This one picked up where the last one left off very nicely with the introduction of some cool characters and an introduction to the White Council, the political leaders of the wizards, and all the scheming and backbiting that comes with them, which Harry finds himself caught in the middle of. There was also the unexpected return of a character who has been talked about quite a bit in the first few books. (view spoiler) ...more
TS Chan
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many readers have pointed out to me that Summer Knight is when the Dresden Files really start to take off and it only gets better from hereon. I won't disagree on that point as I do like this instalment more than Grave Peril where I found the plot to be almost haphazard and the characterisation of Harry, while intriguing as far as his backstory is concerned, annoyed me.

In the previous book, Harry seemed to be able to ever 'dig deeper' into his power reserves from out of nowhere, powered by rage
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Harry Dresden, the wizard/private investigator, is depressed: major girlfriend troubles, problems making rent, various and sundry supernatural beings trying to kill him, outstanding obligations to the Fae that are equally likely to result in his death, and issues with the governing council of wizards, who want to turn Harry over to the vampire council who -- you got it -- also want Harry dead.

Several people told me to just start with this book, #4 in the Dresden urban fantasy series, if I wanted
Ashley
This re-read has been a success so far. Weird, but good weird. It was weird revisiting the first three books, which I originally didn't like enough to continue the series, on audio for the first time. I knew that James Marsters was a huge part of the reason I ended up liking this series so much, but I don't think I realized just how much until starting this re-read. I liked the first three books more on re-read in large part because I'm invested in this world and these characters now, but it's a ...more
Karla
4 Stars! This is urban fantasy, not romance, but I want to jump in the book, lay Harry flat out on his back, and have my way with him! What a yummy wizard!

Another stand out installment in this series. A kick-ass plot, lots of laugh out loud moments, amazing world building, and the knowledge that there will be more, more, more! Loved Billy the Werewolf and his crew! Harry can't keep his eyes in his head when the female werewolves get naked...naughty wizard!

James Marsters as narrator, makes this
David Sven
Another solid entry in the Dresden Universe. James Marsters as audio narrator has really come into his own since the first book to the point where I can't imagine anyone else being the voice of Harry Dresden. His rendition of other characters and creatures has just improved out of sight as well.

The pace of this book took a bit of a hit compared to his previous books, with a large chunk of the middle taken up with a lot of dialogue and world building. We learn a lot about the fairy courts. And I
Nicholas Karpuk
To reiterate my criticism of the series as a whole: Harry Dresden is a stupid, narcissistic, nerd (nerdcissist?) who's first impulse when it comes to problem solving is to run into the villain's lair and shout "Who's making all the bad magic!" and then get surprised when people attempt to murder him.

The cover art for all these books, and the casting choice for the television show give me the impression that Butcher views Dresden as a sort of wizardly Han Solo, a roguish figure marginalized by bo
Jody McGrath
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great Dresden book but not as good as the rest. The whole fairie part really overwhelms everything. It is pretty much way over Harry's head and his powers are useless. Of course he finds a way, but watching him be helpless wasn't very fun. Still better than most books!
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

Another Harry Dresden audiobook, another winner! I ADORE this series!

The audiobook for this series is simply sensational! Sure, James Marsters doesn't have a wide range of voices and sure, he wetly clears his throat a lot, but you know what? I don't care! He IS Harry Dresden and DAMN does he make these books come alive.

An excellent listen and another fabulous visit to my favorite wizard of them all!
Israt Zaman Disha
Have you seen a child eat too much sweet and it's energy level go up, and then it starts jumping, running, bouncing? This book is kind of like that. I don't know any other way to describe it. :P It's only 4th book of the series. I have to read 11 more books which are already published and more books are on the way to publish (hopefully). It is in this condition now, I am just wondering what will happen as the series goes by!

P.S. No point in saving a start for later.
Skylar Phelps
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Man, these books just keep getting better!

Honestly, I wasn’t too impressed with the first two books in the series and I do have to point out that I am selective with the urban fantasy I choose to read, it’s usually not my thing. However, these last couple of books have been amazing! I hope the series just keeps on improving as I go because Hell’s bells, this one was good.
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

I really enjoyed my re-read of this book! I first read this book years ago and liked it then as well but I probably liked it a bit more this time around. This series is up to full speed by the time you get to this book and I just love Harry and the world he lives in. This book was fast paced and really exciting. I actually found myself wanting to listen to it for hours at a time which made it a really quick listen.

Harry starts the book out in
Angela
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Murphy with a chainsaw. Awesome.
Jilly
"Keep reading the series," they said. "It gets really good around book 4," they said...
Well, they were right. Butcher really kicked it up a notch in this latest Harry Dresden novel. (Okay, latest for me. I realize this series is years old and I'm very late to the party. It's like I just discovered Facebook. Have you guys ever heard of it?)

In this book, we find Harry at his lowest point. His life basically sucks and he is in a deep depression. His girlfriend rejected his proposal and left town be
Stephen
3.0 stars. The Dresden files books are great fun and this is a good installment, though not quite as good as the previous 3 books. I view them as literary comfort food. Great characters and a really cool magic system make this an interesting read. Recommended.
Wanda
When I read the next installment, I will be instituting a drinking game. Every time Harry says "Hell's bells" the reader must drink!

I think it will make for a happy reading experience!
Kaitlin
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So this is my favourite of the Dresden books so far. I have to say I wasn't necessarily expecting it to involve the Fae, and when I discovered it did, well everything from then on was pretty damn epic!

So once more we're following harry Dresden (Private Investigator/Wizard) as he works another case and is getting over the events of the last disaster. He's a pretty decent guy for most of this book, and the misogyny wasn't really present in this book (which was great!). It seemed more focused on a
  • Tricked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #4)
  • Hex and the City (Nightside, #4)
  • Thicker Than Water (Felix Castor, #4)
  • Late Eclipses (October Daye, #4)
  • Labyrinth (Greywalker, #5)
  • Unperfect Souls (Connor Grey, #4)
  • Hidden (Alex Verus, #5)
  • Game of Cages (Twenty Palaces, #2)
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more
More about Jim Butcher...

The Dresden Files (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)
  • Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)
  • Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3)
  • Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5)
  • Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, #6)
  • Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7)
  • Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8)
  • White Night (The Dresden Files, #9)
  • Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10)
  • Turn Coat (The Dresden Files, #11)
“You backbiting, poisonous, treacherous, deceitful, wicked, clever girl. If this works I'll buy you a pony.” 430 likes
“In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!” 378 likes