Start by marking “Persephone the Phony (Goddess Girls, #2)” as Want to Read:
Persephone the Phony (Goddess Girls, #2)

Persephone the Phony (Goddess Girls #2)

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  3,444 Ratings  ·  209 Reviews

AS PERSEPHONE'S MOTHER ENCOURAGES HER to do, she often "goes along to get along" instead of doing what she really wants. But when she meets Mount Olympus Academy bad-boy Hades, she finally feels she has found someone with whom she can be herself. He's the first person who actually listens to her, and she finds herself liking him, despite the fact that the other goddessgirl

Published April 6th 2010 by Aladdin

To ask other readers questions about Persephone the Phony, please sign up.

Angelc
Sep 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this installment of the series. I think it deals with a really important tween issue for girls-standing up for yourself. This is an age where girls really start to feel pressure to be like everyone else and it's hard to remember to speak up.

Persephone is always agreeable, she wants to go along with everything just so she won't make anyone mad. She drags along to the mall when she would rather be home. She always agrees with her group of friends, even when she thinks differently. S
Jenny / Wondrous Reads
Persephone the Phony is my favourite of the first two books, as I liked Persephone slightly more than Athena, and this one even had a little sprinkling of romance, with none other than bad boy Hades! Well, he's not bad really, everyone just thinks he is. Instead, he's a sweet, thoughtful guy with an interest in Persephone, and a kick-ass black stallion that he rides around on. Life's great if you're a God of the Underworld, eh?

I really like how these books incorporate Greek mythology into the ev
Helena _Triz
May 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
En cuanto vi este libro en el catálogo de la editorial DiQueSí, supe que tenía que leerlo. Me encanta la Mitología Griega y todo lo relacionado con ella. Y este libro no podía faltar entre mis lecturas del tema.

Es cierto que es un libro más bien infantil, enfocado a enseñar a los más peques de la casa el mundo de los mitos antiguos, los Dioses del Olimpo y todo lo que gira en torno a ello. Pero eso no me ha impedido disfrutar del libro. Porque he de decir que ¡me ha encantado!

Este es el segundo
Arya
Apr 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mythology, retellings
This was such a cute book! I am so happy that I won this (yes I won it off the internet - for FREE)!

It was so adorable! Though it was definitely for younger audiences. The plot was rather simplistic and, although it gave good thought to the question of idenitiy, it was over almost before it began.

I had problems with the fact that Hades was in school and Zeus was already grown up (Hades is the oldest!) but all in all the myhtology stuff was more acurate than I thought it would be.

I realize that
Alex
With a mother that is always telling her to 'go along to get along', Persephone rarely gets to do what she wants or say what she means. She just tries to make everyone feel comfortable and doesn't want anyone's feelings to get hurt.

She even pretends to like the same things as her best friends at the Mount Olympus Academy. She goes shopping with Aphrodite, pretends to like knitting for Athena, and says Artemis' dogs don't bother her at all, even though they are kind of smelly.

So, when she meets b
Rosa
Persephone always goes along with the crowd. Her mother is very overprotective and brought her up not to make waves. This book was extremely loosly based on the Persephone/Hades myth. In the beginning I couldn't get into it, but as Persephone learned the importance of being on her own two feet, I started to appreciate it more and more. I also really liked Hades. Who is not a misunderstood bad boy, but just misunderstood. He's not a bad guy and I really appreciated that. This was a much looser in ...more
Nora Cayetano
¡Olvida todo lo que sabes de la mitología griega!
¡Olvida las historias que leíste en libros, antologías, enciclopedias y los documentales que viste en History Channel!
¡Incluso olvida la versión de Disney!
Porque las historias de Diosas del Olimpo son otra cosa.

Nuestra historia inicia con Perséfone, una joven diosa de 12 años que, junto a sus amigas, Afrodita, Athenea y Artemisa, acude a la Academia Monte Olimpo, para dioses, semidoses, y demás criaturas mitológicas.
De un tiempo para acá, Perséfo
Becca
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z-all-others
I liked this book a lot for the themes it talked about (being true to yourself, being honest with those you care about, don't judge others when you don't know all the facts), BUT I could not bring myself to give it a 5 star because I've read Joan Holub's younger series, Heroes in Training. While this might seem like nitpicking, the Heroes in Training series is a lot closer to the origin myths in Greek Mythology. This series is very cute (and some of the classes sound awesome, Hero-ology anyone?) ...more
Karen Huang
This book was based on the love of Persephone and Hades from the Greek myths of Hades trapping Persephone with the underworld's pomegranate. Everyone who sees Hades thinks of him like a bad boy, a boy who causes trouble. But when Persephone studies him further, she realizes that he's just misunderstood. Although the story at the end did not match the actual myth, but I'm pretty sure the authors did that just so they could keep the series going. Nothing is interesting unless they're single is wha ...more
I like to keep tabs on what my daughters are reading, and Greek mythology is a personal fav, so when I saw these laying around I couldn't resist!

The authors do a pretty good job of making it interesting and at the level that they are writing to - my 10 yo daughter LOVES these books and can't get her hands on the next one fast enough. She was questioning why Zeus is old & his brothers are both young, but it still flowed well for her. We have books 3 & 4 on hold at the library... well, as
Stephanie
Young girls will enjoy this series I think. It is light and fluffy but still interesting. Some of the facts and details of Greek mythology are left out or twisted. That bothers me but wouldn't affect the intended audience. All in all; if you've got a tween girly-girl they will love this book.
Melissa Maillet
My favorite part of the Goddess Girls series so far is the character development. I love that each character's actions match their personalities based on the mythology. My six-year-old daughter gets very engrossed in these stories- especially the romantic aspect of this one!
Devon
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Persephone fells like she is in love with one of the bad boys at school she thinks that she is a phony. Join Persephone in her adventure to save time and her love also. The bad boy is hades and he is a mental hearted boy that loves her for who she is.
Maria J.
Nov 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Es un libro fantástico en el que no se sabe hasta el final si será Perséfone quien gane la batalla... o el resto de su entorno.

Más información: www.edicionesdiquesi.com
Kathy
Dec 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2010
Such a great series for middle grade girls ages 8+. Love the fun, light take on mythology.
Mizna Chaudhry
PERSADES FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Camryn Samuel
Dec 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was really good! LOL:)
maedelle ♡
Not a big fan of Hades/Seph storylines tbh. But this was of decent goodness.
Esther Langdon
3'5. Me ha gustado más esta historia que la del libro anterior, pero aun asi ambos libros son muy entretenidos.
Meredith Leach
Apr 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good follow-up to the first book. Readers (mostly girls) will absorb mythology facts within a fictionalized story about Persephone, Hades, and 3 other goddesses in middle school. Ages 8-12.
Bella Mauro
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the goddess girl series and I will say I love the retelling of Persephone and Hades. This retelling was cute and swoon worthy, a great fall read. The young romance in this book was wonderful and amazing. While I didn't like Persephone as a narrator as much as I did Athena, I will say Persephone has her fair share of struggles and heart ache.
Hades was misjudged and misunderstood. Rumors about him painted him as this terrible bad boy and everyone wanted Persephone to st
Lea Voegeli
Persephone the Phony was a quick and easy read. I thought Persephone was a relatable character because she was being pushed around by her friends, and is an introvert like me. I read it in one sitting, and liked the descriptive writing - yeah! this time there wasn't the cliche of looking at herself in the mirror like in Athena's book, but she still describes herself and you can picture her easily. I liked Persephone and Hades friendship, I found it relatable too, especially since I've made a new ...more
Abby
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My opinion on this book overall is that is an excellent book for kids to read. The book is about a girl named Persephone who listens to everything her friends tell her to do even if she doesn't to. Another character is the story is Hades he is a very quiet boy and very shy, everyone thinks he is bad but Persephone doesn't think that. The book takes place at Mount Olympus Academy where Persephone and her friends go to school and after school Persephone went to this graveyard and she met Hades. Th ...more
Hana Eka
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mythology, greek
Baca cepat.
Persephone ingin berubah dan tidak berpura-pura lagi.
Dan Hades... adalah dewa remaja (pemurung) yang baik dan pekerja keras. <--- kok agak mirip Nico ya *plak *beda penulis
Lindsey
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, romantic
I really enjoyed this series when I was little. It was a nice welcome to re-read it. I am now going to try and read the new ones that came in to the series.
Windy A. Alicia
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, own
Setelah membaca buku pertama, saya kira series ini untuk anak-anak. Tapi ternyata setelah membaca buku kedua, sepertinya series ini lebih ditujukan ke anak-anak remaja.
Hannah
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: retellings
I actually really like this book, guys. I've read it three times, now.
Jenna Petrillo
I read this book in a book group with a friend of mine. This book was not terrible and it was not my favorite.
Alluna
Aug 26, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buku Goddess Girls kali ini kita akan bercertita tentang Persephone. Persephone the Phony. Mengapa Persephone dibilang sesedewi yang palsu?
Persephone adalah seorang dewi, anak dari Demeter. Demeter sendiri adalah dewi pertanian dan kesuburan. Demeter mengendalikan kesuburan tanah, musim, dan panen. Oleh karena itu Persephone pun memiliki keahlian untuk menumbuhkan setiap tanaman yang disentuhnya.

Di sekolah para dewi, Persephone berteman dekat dengan Athena, Aphrodite, dan Artemis. Selama bertem
Clara  Baker Baldwin
Cute. Second in a series granddaughter had checked out from school.
Book Discussions ...: Persephone the Phony 1 3 Mar 12, 2013 03:46PM
  • Pandora Gets Vain (Mythic Misadventures #2)
  • Phone Home, Persephone! (Myth-O-Mania, #2)
  • Jackie's Jokes (Sisters Eight, #4)
  • Thorn in Her Side (The Princess School, #7)
  • Hera, Queen of Gods (Goddess Unbound, #1)
  • Cleopatra and Her Asp
  • Love Underground: Persephone's Tale: (The Goddesses #1)
  • Take Two  (My Sister the Vampire, #5)
  • Brave: The Junior Novelization
  • The Only Girl in School
  • Cheryl the Christmas Tree Fairy (Rainbow Magic)
  • Daddy's Little Angel (Bedeviled, #1)
Children's book author:
TOOL SCHOOL; MIGHTY DADS (a NY Times bestseller); LITTLE RED WRITING; the GODDESS GIRLS series (with Suzanne Williams); THIS LITTLE PRESIDENT, A Presidential Primer; THIS LITTLE TRAILBLAZER, A Girl Power Primer, ZERO THE HERO. Lucky to be doing what I love!
More about Joan Holub...

Goddess Girls (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Athena the Brain (Goddess Girls, #1)
  • Aphrodite the Beauty (Goddess Girls, #3)
  • Artemis the Brave (Goddess Girls, #4)
  • Athena the Wise (Goddess Girls, #5)
  • Aphrodite the Diva (Goddess Girls, #6)
  • Artemis the Loyal (Goddess Girls, #7)
  • Medusa the Mean (Goddess Girls, #8)
  • Pandora the Curious (Goddess Girls, #9)
  • Pheme the Gossip (Goddess Girls, #10)
  • Persephone the Daring (Goddess Girls, #11)