Start by marking “On Having No Head: Zen and the Rediscovery of the Obvious” as Want to Read:
On Having No Head: Zen and the Rediscovery of the Obvious

On Having No Head: Zen and the Rediscovery of the Obvious

Headlessness, the experience of "no-self" that mystics of all times have aspired to, is an instantaneous way of "waking up" and becoming fully aware of one's real and abiding nature. Douglas Harding, the highly respected mystic-philosopher, describes his first experience of headlessness in "On Having No Head," the classic work first published in 1961. In this book, he conv ...more
Published April 1st 2002 by Inner Directions (first published 1961)

Start your review of On Having No Head: Zen and the Rediscovery of the Obvious
Fergus
Apr 06, 2019 rated it liked it
This cult classic is refreshingly different - but that’s regrettably only as far as it goes. I read it in my thirties and now regret the wrong-headed direction in which this, and other books like it, led my attitude back then.

But this book especially!

For Harding - like other Dharma Bums (no slight intended - that’s only Kerouac’s humorous moniker for them) appears to have made a living from this, and numerous other Sunyata Redux titles!

For what he did was make Emptiness gimmicky - and yes, this
David Schaafsma
My doctor wants to put me on high blood pressure medication, which would not be surprising for someone of my age, but I asked for three months time to see what I could do without meds, and so 1) started running in earnest again, 2) bought a Fitbit to obsessively track my stats (see David Sedaris’s latest book where he makes fun of his own Fitbit obsession), 3) began my own (very mild) chemical intervention to see if I could get calmer and to try to sleep more AND 4) began meditation with the hel ...more
Gary
Jan 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: zen
Made me high reading it.
Mike
Apr 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The way of headlessness is the way I believe we all see the world when we are children. This is the key to the wisdom we all once possessed, as children, and this is the wisdom we lose when we "grow up", become "mature" and join the "real" world of jobs and money and the pursuit of "things" out there. I read this book at about age 40, and it was as if I had discovered a long lost friend. It made me recall a time when I too frolicked about without the burden of this thing called a head.

I had the
Rob Adey
Despite Harding's protestations, I think his first satori experience had something to do with being on holiday in the Himalayas rather than, say, being in the conditions in which I read about it i.e. in a train underground between Tooting Bec and Balham.
Nathan
Oct 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: gods
This book will blow your head. A succinct and obvious perception of self. Enlightening, terrifying and unavoidable.

I have just finished re-reading this, and it strikes me as even more profound than before. If you have a desire to know what all of "this" is, and you are only going to read one more book in your lifetime, this should be the one.
Unigami
The premise of this little book is set of simple techniques that anyone can use to achieve instant enlightenment about who you really are. I got more results in 10 minutes from using Harding's methods that I have from countless hours of meditation. Some of the book is repetitious, because once you try the technique and "get it", that is really all you need to know.
William Arsenis
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual, favorites
ON HAVING NO HEAD is a short, funny, and down to earth book—literally pointing at who we really are.

It is simple without being at all simplistic. People with a non-dual background would likely find this book easy to understand.

Direct Path inquiry uses direct experience exclusively, disregarding the thoughts that explain and interpret. From this perspective, no one has direct experience of actually having a head. That is Mr. Harding’s initial point, but it is not the essence of the message.

Point
Darren Berg
May 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Douglas Harding states in a couple places in the book, that sometimes things come into your life, just when you need them to. This book is no exception. An amazing read. The first half of the book drew me in with it's playfulness. Its nearly Seuss-ian banter on the idea, the amazing thought, that this man has no head.

It's beautiful, thoughtful and written with such a love for the material that it's simple to understand, to feel what the author is trying to convey.

In an area that can get very d
Alex
Like many modern readers I was introduced to this short book by Sam Harris in his book ‘Waking Up’. Were it not for the credibility I place in such a recommendation I probably wouldn’t have lasted much beyond the fifth page. Writing in 1961, Harding has attempted to convey a raw first-person experience in terms that can be easily misunderstood for a third-person description. He is attempting to eff the ineffable, and if the reader isn’t attune to this (or hasn't yet experienced any kind of trans ...more
Elyza La
Oct 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A great book recommended by Sam Harris in his L.A lecture on Waking Up.
Richard Peters
Sep 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
Douglas Harding created a simple way of "seeing". His mission was to help people experience what is really "here", right where they thought their head was!

On the face of it this is a strange concept, but in fact it is incredibly simple!

Most people think that they have a head sitting on their shoulders, just like all the other people that they see, have one on their shoulders.

What Harding does is suggest a series of personal experiments that anyone can do, to help them realise that what they expe
Monica
This book interests me because of a song written by Mike Heron

Douglas Traherne Harding
by Mike Heron

When I was born I had no head
My eye was single and my body was filled with light
And the light that I was, was the light that I saw by
And the light that I saw by, was the light that I was

And many's the time that I've passed by the river
And saw no tollman and needed no ferryman to cross
And I enjoyed the world aright
For the sea itself floweth
And warm I was and crowned

But one day walking by the river
I
Tristan
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
"... the very suggestion of headlessness is for many people profoundly offensive, and there's no end to the objections they will raise. Never mind: headlessness is for living always, for sharing occasionally, for arguing about never."

What wise words! Had I read this book years earlier, I would have been saved many awkward encounters in which I tried to convince friends, relatives, and even one or two strangers of the profound fact that you are not inside your head - rather, your head (and all of
Chris
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"Woosh"

That's the sound of this book going over my no-head.

I picked this one up after meditating with Sam Harris' app and books. The concept of no-head isn't something that I yet comprehend at the level I believe they intend, and I hoped this book would help. It did not.

That isn't to say it's a 2-star book. It's a 2-star book to me, right now. I plan on revisiting it in the future as I try to grasp this idea. At that point, perhaps it will be 3 stars, 1 star, or 5 stars.
Aryeh
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book that takes its place next to Alan Watts's 'The Book'- a little pamphlet of sorts that contains a set of words that have the potential to shift your perception of everything, including perception itself. Harding has literally zero guru blood in him. He writes not as a teacher, but as a friendly man who has discovered something that he just can't keep to himself. It's a lovely thing he's done here, a unique yet ubiquitous path of self-inquiry that is worth checking out. I had to take my tim ...more
James Q. Golden
May 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality, zen
Poetically Majestic in the most literal sense of the "word" book on Zen,

but one of the Dullest and Droniest audiobooks I've ever listened to.

So here the question comes:

(hm, yes, my little padawan)

how do you rate this?

And now a koan arises:

svaha!

Can you find it?

PS. Where are you Peter Coyote, and why the hell did you stop narrating books?
Nathan Schwartz
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
A strange little book. Starts with a simple idea – you can’t directly see your own head, progresses to a still pretty simple idea, that you have a unique first-person view of your world, and then leaps to some sort of strange zen you-are-one-with-the-universe sort of thing. If you follow that leap then I guess this book may be pretty amazing (at least some people have told me it was), but for me it did nothing.
Jeff
Sep 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's actually a bit of zen genius and, as a result, I've been walking around headless all day.

You will, undoubtedly, begin to understand the void and empty yet expansive space that spiritual leaders have long talked about.
Matt
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books on Zen you can find. Short, succinct, spot-on.
Lani
A bit "out there" for me. I get the concept but I'm too much of a scientist and rational thinker to buy into this, or any religious thought for that matter. Interesting read, however.
Justin
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very poetic read (which is not my style)
Sam Ritchie
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book grew on me by the second half, but only after thinking hard about Harding's repeated claim that the insight he's presenting is perfectly obvious. I'd recommend reading this and giving it a chance, not trying to rip it apart. After all, Harding's not there to defend himself. Why would you read a book for the experience of beating up on an argument you haven't taken the time to understand?

I'm going to give this a re-read in a few months; that may be the way to get through, with a quick i
Raul
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"[This unknowing] is ceasing to take everything and anything for granted. It is the re-discovery of the obvious as very strange, the given as wonderful and precious, before we bend it to our purposes. It is admitting the glory that was there all along. It is actually looking at the “meanest” stone and fallen leaf, at the “nastiest”piece of garbage, at “irrelevant”things like the shape and colour of shadows and the reflection of coloured city lights in wet roads at night (which we’ve ceased to se ...more
Bram
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
I don't know if I was not ready for this book or if I was. But it felt rather unreadable and/or incomprehensible to me. I'll be looking for some people who can talk to me about these concepts in a contemporary way...

It feels like Harding is trying hard to make it fun, but it feels like it beats around the bush. At least for me it does not touch anything I can relate to. At least not as much as I would like it to.
Ale
Apr 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: espiritualidad
The no-book.
Malum
Apr 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Harding tackles the Buddhist concept of "no self" from a more poetic point of view, then tackles the idea in a more straightforward manner. A tiny book that packs a punch.
Abigail
Jun 04, 2019 rated it liked it
David Bowie book club No.7
Challenging as expected. I think that reading a Dummy's Guide to Zen Buddhism first would be good preparation for the uninitiated, such as myself. There are similarities with what we currently know as 'mindfulness'.
Michael Shore
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This excellent shot book provides a unique and create look at the concept of no-self. There’s a simplicity in the way Harding explains profound ideas that is very refreshing.
Andy
May 12, 2020 rated it liked it
recommended from meditation course
pushing a philosophy of meditation and experiencing life through a Zen-like approach, dissolving the boundary between self and the world, through losing your head
does get a bit tangled in unresolved logic for me, whether he is being literal or metaphorical, unnecessarily so
and dividing his progression into a hierarchy of stages felt off to me
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Conscious: A Brief Guide to the Fundamental Mystery of the Mind
  • The Mindful Day: Practical Ways to Find Focus, Calm, and Joy from Morning to Evening
  • Waking Up: A Guide to Spirituality Without Religion
  • The War for Kindness: Building Empathy in a Fractured World
  • Mindware: Tools for Smart Thinking
  • Superhuman Innovation: Transforming Business with Artificial Intelligence
  • How to Have Impossible Conversations: A Very Practical Guide
  • Simple Tips Smart Ideas
  • Human/Machine: The Future of Our Partnership with Machines
  • Beyond Willpower: The Secret Principle to Achieving Success in Life, Love, and Happiness
  • Food Fix: How to Save Our Health, Our Economy, Our Communities, and Our Planet-One Bite at a Time
  • Mindfulness: A Practical Guide to Awakening
  • Adventures in the Anthropocene: A Journey to the Heart of the Planet We Made
  • Americana: A 400-Year History of American Capitalism
  • The Power of Bad: How the Negativity Effect Rules Us and How We Can Rule It
  • Free Will
  • Future Fit: How to Stay Relevant and Competitive in the Future of Work
  • The Only Little Prayer You Need: The Shortest Route to a Life of Joy, Abundance, and Peace of Mind

News & Interviews

“What actually happened was something absurdly simple and unspectacular: I stopped thinking. [...] Reason and imagination and all mental chatter died down. For once, words really failed me. Past and future dropped away. I forgot who and what I was, my name, manhood, animalhood, all that could be called mine. It was as if I had been born that instant, brand new, mindless, innocent of all memories. There existed only the Now, that present moment and what was clearly given in it. To look was enough. And what I found was khaki trouserlegs terminating downwards in a pair of brown shoes, khaki sleeves terminating sideways in a pair of pink hands, and a khaki shirtfront terminating upwards in—absolutely nothing whatever! Certainly not in a head.

It took me no time at all to notice that this nothing, this hole where a head should have been was no ordinary vacancy, no mere nothing. On the contrary, it was very much occupied. It was a vast emptiness vastly filled, a nothing that found room for everything—room for grass, trees, shadowy distant hills, and far above them snowpeaks like a row of angular clouds riding the blue sky. I had lost a head and gained a world.”
12 likes
“We suffer because we overlook the fact that, at heart, we are all right.” 4 likes