Start by marking “Taking the Medicine: A Short History of Medicine’s Beautiful Idea, and our Difficulty Swallowing It” as Want to Read:

Doctors and patients alike trust the medical profession and its therapeutic powers; yet this trust has often been misplaced. Whether prescribing opium or thalidomide, aspirin or antidepressants, doctors have persistently failed to test their favourite ideas - often with catastrophic results. From revolutionary America to Nazi Germany and modern big-pharmaceuticals, this is ...more
Published January 7th 2010 by Vintage (first published January 15th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Taking the Medicine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taking the Medicine

Start your review of Taking the Medicine: A Short History of Medicine’s Beautiful Idea, and our Difficulty Swallowing It
Antonia
Jan 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2011
Who'd have thought a history of medicine would be such a page-turner? This is really a great book. Brilliant. It's full of fascinating stories about the development and testing (or not) of life-saving drugs. But the main theme is the long, slow process by which the practice of medicine has come to be based on sound research and reliable tests -- at least more so than in most of the past few centuries -- as well as a persistent reliance on opinion and intuition and resistance to fact, experimenta ...more
Natasha
Really clever and most chapters were quite interesting. I learnt a lot. It wasn't riveting but it was, generally, insightful. Props to the author for research well done!
Jacqui
Mar 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: physical
An interesting read written in an informative engaging manner. I think a must for all who have the first seeds of following a medical career to learn humility is the best self medication before they rely on their own self importance.
Oscar Castanedo
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book helped me to better understand the progress of medicine in the history of humankind. It was an eye opener. We have taken only baby steps here. Much to improve in the future.
Francis Riley
Jul 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
A terrific read, although it is about our relationship with medicine, doctors, etc, it is actually about our mental approach to illness and disease and how that approach colours our judgement.
E.M. Epps
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If the history of medicine, in the specific sense of "things we take to feel better"--from opium to thalidomide, penicillin to aspirin--sounds at all interesting to you, read this book. That won't apply to most of you, of course. But it was exactly the right opiate for me, and I binge-read the whole book in one day. The author--you get the sense he's a doctor first and a historian second--has a pleasing impatience for quackery both historical and modern. In addition to being a history of specifi ...more
E. Davies
Jan 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't get my nose out of it, nor get it out of my thoughts since putting it down. I loved Roy Porter's history of medicine - which Birch is harsh about - and this seemed a wonderful companion. Shorter and with more of a focus, Birch's story is about how little of medicine has done any good, why it is doctors have been so professionally successful while killing most of their patients, and what's finally changed. In essence it's a story about how difficult it is to know whether a treatment wo ...more
W
Aug 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history-etc, science
A hospital doctor looks at the use of drugs in medicine. He starts with a historical overview before focusing on persistent problems which still allow insufficiently tested harmful drugs to be released. Reasons are doctors who prescribe because they think it's better than not offering any help, unpublished negative test results and not enough good large studies.

Michael
Jan 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you blindly trust your doctor to take care of your health and wisely prescribe your medication then you might not want to read this book. If, on the other hand, you want to read a well-written history of medicine and the foibles and mis-steps of the medical profession then this is the book for you. An absolutely fascinating page turner.
Science For The People
Recommended on Skeptically Speaking show #90 on December 17, 2010. http://skepticallyspeaking.ca/episode... ...more
Patrick Crawley
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good overview of the brief history of medicine's evidential basis. Scary when you realize how recently it was that doctors really had no clue what they were doing.

Lelietje

• Toast: The Story of a Boy's Hunger
  • Shark's Fin and Sichuan Pepper: A Sweet-Sour Memoir of Eating in China
  • My Own Country: A Doctor's Story
  • Another Day in the Frontal Lobe: A Brain Surgeon Exposes Life on the Inside
  • Eating for England: The Delights and Eccentricities of the British at the Table
  • The Lives of a Cell: Notes of a Biology Watcher