Start by marking “Spring's Gentle Promise (Seasons of the Heart, #4)” as Want to Read:
Spring's Gentle Promise (Seasons of the Heart, #4)

Spring's Gentle Promise

(Seasons of the Heart #4)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  3,202 Ratings  ·  85 Reviews
Josh Jones feels the added responsibility, when his grandfather and uncle sign over the family farm to him.
Published March 1st 1989 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Spring's Gentle Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spring's Gentle Promise

Liz F.
4 stars! I enjoyed it... though I don't think this is my favorite in the series. I really liked reading the epilouge too!
(view spoiler)
It was also really funny when Lou's kids came over... hehe I liked that chapter!

Content:
-Some kissing/cuddling.
-(kinda) Intense longing.
-(no spoilers) Some people get hurt in some kind of accident, but it wasn't too bad.

At parts, I could totally predict what was goi
carrie
Nov 02, 2013 rated it liked it
this one was just a little too sappy.
Lydia Dyslin
Spring's Gentle Promise is the fourth and final book in the Seasons of the Heart series by Janette Oke.

This book was a good ending to the series, if a little slow at times. It was a sweet, comforting read -- it was a little predictable and not the best book Janette Oke has ever written, but I still enjoyed it somewhat.

I knew that Josh was going to end up with (view spoiler) waaaay before Josh even knew. You could just kind of tell. However, I didn't like how they ended up
Sara Cardon
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sweet story of the Great Depression era. I like how Josh gets married and thinks on what it means to cherish his wife. I love the sacrifices they make when they have so little. My only disappointment was thinking, "Hmm, you should loan the extra farmhouse out." Or at least let the sister in-law live there? (Not a big deal, just a detail I'd like included). Really sweet sentiments on what family love looks like.
Valerie (Val's Vicinity)
Josh Jones has happily settled into the farming life, glad to know that this is where God would have him be. Grandpa and Uncle Charlie have recently transferred possession of the family farm, and the deed now has Josh's name on it. He owns the farm, it's all his! Josh is near to bursting with this, and he runs the increasingly prosperous farm the best he knows how. Yep, things are pretty good, until a new neighbor starts to come calling on the two girls that live with Josh, Grandpa, and Uncle Ch ...more
Lila Diller
I forgot that only the first half of the book is about the romance. The rest is about the economic problems during the Great Depression. I didn't mind it so much before, but this time the financial struggles hit too close to home.

I was glad to use this for a reading challenge as a book where the couple has a strong faith. The romance was beautiful.
Story_Girl
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The final chapter in the story of Josh Jones was a pleasant read with the right balance of romance, struggles, hope and faith. It begins by telling of Josh's attempts at courtship and his struggle to chose who out of two girls is right for him - Matilda, the vibrant young school teacher who swept into his life full of laughter and joy, or Mary the girl next door who now keeps house for his family and who he basically ignored through all there years growing up together. I feel the choice made of ...more
Hanna
Once Josh stopped being an idiot, the book started to be good--hard, but realistic and good. The problem was Josh's point of view in the beginning of the book. It was just plain dumb. Not in an "obliviously cute" way, either. He was plain annoying.

But once he got married, he grew smarter. His perspective on marriage was okay--a lot better than his perspective on finding a girl.

The real struggles came when there were less than five chapters in the book. A lot was packed into a little bit. Honest
Kelly Nimegeers
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book explores the season of marriage and courtship that Josh goes through with Mary. Josh shows us his view on how he thinks courtship is harder on men then women. Then they have to go through a time in the dirty thirties and how men had to go off into the great unknown to find work. I would recommend this book to women who want to know men's views on dating and to people who like stories about the dirty thirties.
Darla Damron
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-audio-books
Oh what a wonderful story to finish this series! This book was an encouragement to me to keep on trusting the Lord and to depend on Him in our hard times. He will provide. And to share our wealth with others as we are able to.

I will admit that some tears were shed and big smiles were shown while listening. This book was my favorite of this series.

I listened to this book by audio-book and enjoyed the narrator.
Melanie
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book felt more like a hurry up and be done with the series, although it was still a nice easy read, I don't know if it was me or the author who wanted it to end. The conclusion of Josh and Mary's story as far as; were they able to save the farm, did they have any more kids and did it ever rain again?
Alicia Bowman
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maybe my favorite of the whole series

This book,as well as others of this series, entertained, but also it challenged me in areas of my life. The faith these characters show, make me think about my own Christian walk
Virma
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good characters and nice story. True to genre and similar to other prairie stories. Don’t miss! This series is really good and follows the characters as they grow up. Really enjoyed this series as I have all the other Janette Oke books I have read.
Jen
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it
This book helped me be grateful for all I have. It reminded me of how many people have really struggled with severe poverty and famine and how hard that is.
Loriinengland
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this series. So uplifting. A great story about early settlers and their endurance. And faith!!!
Sherry Johnson
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good series

I really enjoyed this series. It was refreshing to read from a young boys perspective on farm life back in the day. And follow him into adulthood.
Deborah
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let go & let God

Through marriage, births, hardships of drought Josh learned the meaning of Gods word to become what God meant for him to & the family as well.
Jessica Lindenberg
Feb 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I felt that this book droned on and on too much. But overall an ok read.
Lydia
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was just really frustrated with how depressing the second half
Heather Macinnis
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Best of the series. Loved it! Real struggles and doubts with realistic solutions.
Michelle Rabinowitz
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love Janette Oke’s books. She writes to inspire and uplift. She writes with the Lord as a constant. ❤ ...more
Crystal Lawrence
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this series. The last book was the most enjoyable.
Julie W
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the series!
Crystal
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story captivated my mind and gave me a glimpse of a truly loving family. I thought this book, Spring's Gentle Promise by Janette Oke, was a very well done, realistic story. Janette Oke is known for her Historical Fiction books. This book will give you a picture of what it might have been like for some farming families, during the Depression.
I liked the way that Janette Oke gave a mood to the story line to show how the family was operating. When the rains weren't coming, it showed how Josh's
Janiece
Dec 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
The final book in the series and rated in context of the entire series. In this book, Josh gets married and begins his family. He strives to cherish his new wife, but struggles with the human flaws that we all do. He learns to communicate with her and understand her. He finds much joy and fulfillment in adding this relationship to his life. He experiences some hard times brought on by the depression and drought, but manages to trust in God that come what may it will be for his good. With that tr ...more
Karen
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is the conclusion to the Season's of the Heart series, which follows the main character Josh Jones from age 9 through his 20's and is set in the late 1800's and early 1900's-- the entire series is wonderful! I like the realistic look at family life during this time period in history-- it's filled with a lot of sorrows and set-backs, but also with hope and with a lot of life lessons. I've read this series many times and I have taken something different away from it each time-- this seri ...more
Terri
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened-to
I really enjoyed this series in part because it was told from a male perspective instead of a female one which is more typical for Oke. Through the series you see Joshua Jones grow from a pre-teen boy into a married man and father. It was interesting to watch Him struggle with friends, girls, and faith. In this book, he comes into his own as he becomes the owner of the family farm. He begins new farming practices and thrives for several years. He's oblivious to love until an accident shakes him ...more
Kristy
Rating: 5/10

Very similar to Winter's Last Promise but this is more about the weather and how it affects the farm. We also have a cute little love story develop. It isn't much but it sweetens the book. Not the greatest series I have read but it was easy to listen to as an audio book and I always enjoy the development of Joshua's faith throughout the book.

The Questions:

Entertaining/Addictive?: Not addictive but lightly entertaining

Writing Style?: Time moves quickly so you get little snap shots of
Hayden Whitmire
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
And... another great read from Jeanette Oake.

I chose 5 stars for the last book in the series because it brought together well all 4 books. I enjoyed the series most because the writer focused so sincerely on our Heavenly Father and how each Christian has such great security in His promises. Promises made and kept by our Living, Loving Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Hope in Jesus is never lost Hope. Am looking forward to more "great reads" by Jeanette Oake.

I would love to read her personal test
Annalisa
Jun 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Dec 27, 2014 03:51PM
  • The Indentured Heart: 1740 (House of Winslow #3)
  • Sean Donovan (The Californians, #3)
  • Toward the Sunrising (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #4)
  • The Reapers Song (Red River of the North, #4)
  • Janette Oke: A Heart for the Prairie
  • The Night Angel (Heirs of Acadia, #4)
Janette Oke writes with a profound simplicity of what she knows best—real life, honest love, and lasting values. With over 23 million in sales, her historical novels portray the lives of early North American settlers from many walks of life and geographical settings. She also writes engaging children's stories and inspiring gift books that warm the heart.

Janette was born during the depression year

Seasons of the Heart (4 books)
  • Once upon a Summer (Seasons of the Heart, #1)
  • Winds of Autumn (Seasons Of The Heart, #2)
  • Winter is Not Forever (Seasons of the Heart, #3)