Start by marking “The Lost Diary of Don Juan” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Lost Diary of Don ...

Douglas Abrams

The Lost Diary of Don Juan

Douglas Abrams's magical debut novel captures the heart of the Spanish Golden Age and the secret life of the world's greatest lover-Don Juan.
It was a time of discovery and decadence, when life became a gamble and the gold that poured endlessly into the port of Sevilla devalued money, marriage, and love itself. In the midst of these treacherous times, Juan Tenorio is born
Audio CD
Published May 1st 2007 by Books on Tape (first published 2007)

Bandit
Oct 28, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh Don Juan. The legendary lusty libertine. The astoundingly amorous adventurer. The dashing dream man of damsels' desires. Stay with me...these alliterations are the only fun to be had out of this book. Apparently Don Juan was also a loquacious chronicler of his exploits, because here is his diary, soggy silly cheesy mess of it. Granted one should expect a certain amount of shall we say romance in diaries of such a character, but it's just so tediously corny. Thought it would redeem itself as a ...more
Shana
Before reading The Lost Diary of Don Juan, the infamous title character was nothing more than a name to me. From a mere caricature, Abrams has skillfully created a character who is richly complex and multi-layered. As I read the eloquently written pages of Don Juan's diary, it was impossible not to be drawn into his libertine life and the intrigues of the city of Seville in 1593.

With beautiful, readable prose, Abrams paints a vivid picture of late 16th century Spain. The descriptions have a very
Natasa
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spain, favorites
Doug Abrams has delivered a fascinating, fast-paced adventure brimmed with passion, intrigue, and humanity. This book is a page-turner, cleverly crafted and researched, yet tightly written, you will find yourself torn between racing to find out what happens next and savoring every delicious detail. It tracks the life of Don Juan and relives many of his exploits. It also is very instructional as to his romantic style and understanding of a woman’s needs. Full review you can find on my blog: https ...more
Andreea
May 05, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horrendous-reads
I picked this up from my own bookshelf at home...it had been there for some time. My mom had bought it some time ago to read while traveling. I also needed something to read on the plane.

This books brings nothing new to the scene...the same old tale of Don Juan. And the author's style not particularly enticing or memorable. It did strike me as incredibly easy to read and I was unpleasantly surprised when I finished it 30 minutes before my flight was over (that is a 4 hours flight).

To begin with
Jessica
Sep 03, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-copy
I received this book for free from the publisher. All content and opinions are my own.

I was delighted to have the chance to read this book on my way to Spain. It definitely enhanced my Spanish experience.

Don Juan, as you probably know, is known as the greatest lover in Spain, perhaps all of Christendom. This book is the story of Don Juan as told through his diary, which was purportedly preserved by his friend for generations. It is the story of his journey from a lovemaker to a lover.

I have mixe
Tara Chevrestt
I was delightfully surprised with this story. I must confess, I was expecting something more along the lines of Deuce Bigalow, American Gigolo, but much to my pleasure, this was a romantic historical fiction. It is very informative should you be looking more into what times were like during the Spanish Inquistion. It starts out with Don Juan, basically a womanizing man whore. However, he has utmost respect and reverence for the female species and when he actually falls in love, it warms the read ...more
Bookrazy-Koi
Jan 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ALthough the "bed" scenes were a bit muted...I can give this book this much stars because I strongly believe that in order for men to understand how to treat women, they should at least read this book! LOL I'm not saying that they go around seducing as much women as they can in one lifetime...but they need to understand how don juan sees women..:D

It is a wonderful love story :) but if you're looking for some exciting "actions" then...LOL
Rachel Bell
I just could not get passed the voice of this book. I actually had to stop reading it about half way through. There were interesting points and the idea that someone actually lived this life is pretty amazing but not a satisfying read for me.
Celeste
Apr 05, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
I only picked this book up because it was very cheap and it looked interesting, at least the cover art was. To quote my students: It sucked.

The writing was mediocre at best. The lesson to be learned here, just because someone works in the book industry doesn't make that person a good writer. The styling and word choice showed the obvious attempts to make it quick and interesting but left me thinking it was melodramatic and pompous. The characterization was one-dimensional and yawn worthy. The pl
Delacruz
Jul 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book on the bargain table, and I normally don't read romance novels. However, I found it an easy read, and intriguing, which again surprised me because I don't normally pick historical-fiction novels for leisure. There were some points that were lacking, but overall pretty entertaining.

I appreciate how the author did research into the history of Sevilla and even visited. That probably helped in his writing, as I was able to imagine myself in Sevilla (and I can't wait to one day
Eliza
Feb 15, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book on the bargain table at a bookstore, so I thought I’d give it a shot. Glancing over the summary, I thought it would be a NEW take on Don Juan, something that showed more character than caricature. I think I was wrong, but I can’t be sure because I couldn’t bring myself to finish it.

The love scenes are particularly offensive, more for the way they were presented than for the actual content. The language in those scenes is trite and stupid, all the metaphors for things, I felt li
Michael
What a great writer! This one caught my eye in the library. From what little I'd read in the past Don Juan has always struck me as a hilarious character. I was thinking more Pepe Le Peau (sp?) the cartoon skunk, but DCA takes this to an unexpected level. Dashing, romantic, full of honor and deceipt. He communicates a sense of Seville, Spain at this time and place that is staying with me. In other words, as good a historical and literary picture as I've ever seen. The style here is maybe drawn fr ...more
Jade
Oct 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
The story of Don Juan is given true heart in this book, with all of his exploits being charmingly regurgitated in a way that would make any woman swoon romantically. So...he was a slut, but that's because he does not want any woman to lack attention or endure loneliness!
I thoroughly enjoyed the passion with which his exploits were unfolded, especially as the diary turned towards his own inner turmoil at an inability to love one sole woman.
Also, had just the right amount of swashbuckling to keep
Bookworm
Apr 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love historical fiction and this was a great book. I stayed up way to late finishing it.

Don Juan asks his mother her secret to lasting love and she said: “The heart is forever unfaithful, and the feelings of love come and go, but true love is not about how you feel. It is about what you do.” That really hit me, true love is about being faithful, respectful, caring, fun, passionate, and getting thru the times when your heart just isn’t in it, because love will come around again.

It is a good le
Doc
I am a big fan of classic swashbucklers.

This isn't one of them.

I found a few quotable things in it, and it has all the requisite ingredients: an evil cardinal inquisitor, a damsel being forced into marriage, &c., but it just never grabbed me.

I think the book couldn't quite decide whether to be a swashbuckler or a romance. The classics succeed at being both. This one was neither.

The sex scenes were sort of graphic in that I knew what was happening, but stilted and laden with euphemisms. The b
retro.fox
Jun 13, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had so much trouble finishing this book, to me it was very boring and badly written. It almost put me into a reading slump. I thought I would like this book because I love the historical genre but this book did not appeal to me at all. It brought nothing new to the story of Don Juan, just another re-telling and not even a good one.
nilüfér kyazim
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Книгата е много добре написана, не много сложна, лесно разбираема. Единственото, което малко ме подразни бе факта, че действията се развиваха толкова бавно. Сякаш сааааааамо за да може книиииииигата да изглежда по-дебееееела. Самата история е интригуваща и интересна, а главният герой-мечта. Краят беше може би най-доброто от цялата книга и останах с отворена уста, как охлювските действия изведнъж станаха буреносни и ме извадиха от полу-заспалото ми положение, по време на четене.
Nádia Batista
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Há qualquer coisa inexplicavelmente irresistível aos meus olhos quando se fala de Don Juan ou Casanova. Este último já deu ares de sua graça aqui no blogue, mas Don Juan surge dois anos e meio depois do nascimento do cantinho. Sobretudo por falta de oportunidade, mas há já imenso tempo que este livro me chamava cada vez que iniciava uma nova leitura. Finalmente peguei-lhe e, apesar de não me arrepender por não o ter lido mais cedo, é sem dúvida uma excelente surpresa.

O livro é apresentado como u
Liviania

The book begins promisingly, with the meta joke, "Many, I am sure, will try to turn my life into a morality play after I am dead." For whether Don Juan truly existed as a Spanish nobleman or not, he is commonly known due to plays, books, poems, and movies. Of course, the book shortly after offers a preview of its greatest downfall, when Don Juan seduces the Widow Elvira:

I sipped the moist nectar of her mouth as she opened her petals to me. Our mouths fused together, her thirst palpable and her
Ruth
Aug 22, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2008
Set in 16th century Seville during Spain’s Golden Age and the Spanish Inquisition, The Lost Diary of Don Juan is an action-packed look at the life and passion of the world’s greatest lover.

The son of a prostitute, Juan Tenorio is abandoned as an infant at the gates of a convent. He grows into a young man under the sisters’ loving care and instruction. Juan seems destined for the priesthood until he falls in love with one of the nuns, Sister Teresa. The two begin a passionate affair, meeting in s
Danielle
May 03, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This book was not on my "to-read" list. I chose it because I needed a book on tape, and my two-year-old was gleefully climbing in between shelves in the library, so I basically grabbed the first thing I saw and ran with it. As it turns out, I enjoyed this book much more than I was expecting. I will do a pros and cons.
Pros:
1. The idea is really intriguing. The famed lover Don Juan was a real-life person, who (of all things!) kept a diary detailing his affairs. Mildly sordid, but more showcasing h
Carey
Sep 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seville, Spain in the year 1593 is a wealthy city. The gold and riches pouring in from the New World have led to prosperity for Spain but unfortunately the country has lost many of its men to recent wars and the colonization of the New World. There are more widows and lonely wives than ever before. The result of the low male population is the rise of the Galanteador, a gallant or seducer. The most successful and famous of these was Don Juan Tenorio.

Don Juan was abandoned as an infant at a conve
A.
Apr 06, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the style used; ounds modern yet intriguing. I’m still at the beginning, and a bit taken by the irony of a boy raised by 24 nuns growing up to be a libertine! Monday, April 07, 2008

I reached page 51, and I feel the need to quote some lines... just an old habit!

“A man’s ambition, however, like his fate, is not always known to him in advance…”page2

“The only secret I have used to unlock the bedchambers of the women I have known is their own unquenched thirst for life. The greatest power in t
Serena
Aug 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anna horner, anna eskridge, marnie, terrie
Douglas Carlton Abrams' The Lost Diary of Don Juan transports the reader into a world where honor and piety are praised. But love must be chaste, and not lustful. Don Juan is fabled to be one of the greatest lovers and seducers of women, much like Cassanova. This work of fiction, written in a diary format, examines the inner Don Juan, his philosophies about love and lust, and his desire to remain honorable even as a galanteador. He refuses to tell tales of his "conquests," a term that really is ...more
Ariel Coro
May 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody
I grew up wanting to visit Spain, when I finally did in 1998 I fell in love. Truth be known, I really fell in love with the Southern part of Spain or Andalusia and in particular with the city known as “Sevilla”

If you love literature as I do, you probably have heard many tales of “Don Juan Tenorio” that famous character personifying romance, bravery, and the essence and soul of Andalusia. When I heard the title of this book called “The Lost Diary of Don Juan”, I had to have it.

I normally have 2
liz
Mar 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable. Basically, Don Juan falls in love and foils the Inquisition. I enjoyed the spiritual perspective that Don Juan takes toward physical love, although the descriptions of the physical lovemaking can be cheesy. I also liked that the ending wasn't too happy - it was a nice surprise.

But I say desire is older than humanity, created on the sixth day with the animals, and it has a power that is greater than our ability to control it. It is this power that the seducer draws upon as the sor
Katy
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, I give this one 4 - it was going to be 3 1/2 but I must rate fairly. There are a couple of things I would have changed - but had that not been the case, this book would rate 4 stars. So - 4 it is.

I listened to this on CD, narrated by Gordon Griffin. Who, by the way, does a spectacular job. I was hooked from the moment he began speaking.

The book is based on - well, the lost diary of Don Juan DeMarco. It provides a wonderful story about his background, from being abandoned as a baby to being r
Therese Regina Marie
An adventurous tale of the "world's most greatest lover" - Don Juan, the Spanish equivalent of Casanova. A galanteador (spanish for gallant or seducer) Don Juan lived a debauched life. However, he is not portrayed here as a cynical man whose sole desire is to hop from one woman's bed to another, as a matter of fact, in this tale, Don Juan is portrayed as a lover of women.

A Connoisseur skilled in the art of passion, he worships the divine beauty inherent in women. He enjoys them like fine wine,
Margarida
Mais do que retratar as paixões e os desejos do maior galanteador espanhol, este livro é um verdadeiro hino à sedução onde Don Juan exalta a feminilidade do corpo e alma de todas as mulheres. Esta adoração à feminilidade que tanto prazer dá a Don Juan é comparada ao poder da religião sobre os homens.
Somos assim transportados de forma brilhante através das descrições do autor para a Sevilha do século XVI que vive subjugada pelo poder da Inquisição para quem a dor e o castigo são o caminho correct
Margarida
Um romance histórico construído a partir da premissa de que o diário de Don Juan foi encontrado centenas de anos depois e as palavras ali presentes foram por ele escritas. Um artifício já usado pelos escritores românticos do século XIX para justificar alguns textos seus:ou foram encontrados, ou eram lendas contadas popularmente, etc...
Acompanhamos a descrição da vida de Don Juan desde jovem, quando vivia no convento onde foi abandonado, até adulto quando se torna ladrão, depois espião do Marquês
  • Immortal
  • Reading by Lightning
  • Madame de Stael: The First Modern Woman
  • El Quinto Evangelio
  • Bella y oscura
  • The Secret Book of Grazia dei Rossi (Grazia dei Rossi, #1)
  • Crossed: A Tale of the Fourth Crusade