Start by marking “The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist” as Want to Read:
The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist

The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist

(The Berenstain Bears)

Sister Bear watches Dr. Bearson fill Brother Bear's small cavity. Then it's her turn in the chair to have a dangling baby tooth removed. An entertaining story for preschoolers of a cheerful and informative visit to a dentist.
Published October 12th 1981 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist

Start your review of The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist
Calista
The bear family goes to the dentist. Sister bear has a loose tooth and the dentist has to pull it.

This is a simple story about the fear of the dentist. Nice art work.

My nephew had fun with this book.
Jack
Jan 10, 2011 added it
Pooja Banga
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Belise Michel
I just love the Berenstain Bears collections. I used this book before a dentist came to visit one of my programs that I over see. It helps a child that has never been to a dentist office to see that there is nothing to be afraid of. It also a great tool to use to build up on vocabulary.
Jenny Houle
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I didn't get this one for my dentist visit, but I did get it when I lost my first teeth (I lost two at once the first time). Always a favorite!
1stLady
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice Introduction to the Dentist

I think this is a wonderful way to educate young ones before their first trip to the dentist! It talks about what to expect and some of the tools and procedures to expect.
Tessa Hensley
Dec 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Every child is afraid of different things, maybe it's the dentist like Sister or maybe it's tight spaces. The point is that most of their fears are impractical and can be fixed by just learning more about the place or thing they fear. This book can be used in class to show children that not only the dentist, but other things may not be as scary as they think. Have students pick the thing they are most afraid of and write a silly poem or song about it making it less scary. Then see which thing ...more
Alexandria
Apr 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
In this Berenstain Bears short story Sister Bear gets her first lose tooth. Mama Bear tells her that she will need to go see Dr.Bearson the local dentist. Before they go Brother Bear makes his sister scared telling her that the dentist will yank her teeth out. Mama Bear takes the two of them to the dentist and has Brother Bear go first, the dentist ends up finding a cavity in one of his teeth scaring him very badly. When it is Sister Bears turn to go see the dentist comes up she is very scared, ...more
Emily
Nov 21, 2013 rated it liked it
This book was very entertaining. I enjoyed the content and the personalities of the bears. For example, the teasing between brother and sister reminded me of my own relationship with my siblings growing up. This story teaches a great lesson to children about how going to the dentist may seem scary but it really is not that bad. The plot was fairly simple which could be good for children because they can easily understand what is going on. The illustration could have been more detailed and I felt ...more
Kristine Hansen
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Here's one to prepare the kids for going to the dentist - which for those squeamish about such things - will have plenty of detail enough to send the more delicate of us running for the hills.

In all honesty, this story handles the idea of a visit to the dentist very well, and in a non-threatening way. Having a child who is beyond phobic about things related to teeth - well, I think she's not the only one squeamish about Sister's odd tooth sticking out in several of the pictures. That just looks
Susan
Jun 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books-jp
This is probably akin to admitting I don't like puppies or something (I do! I do like puppies!) but I have never really gotten the appeal of the Berenstain Bears books. I have always found them too long and too wordy and a bit too lecture-y for my taste. I am willing to concede I am in the minority on this however since they go out like hotcakes at the library and have been favorites with many people for ages. I just purchased this latest one for my library with several other books on the topic ...more
Alexandria Owens
Nov 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: emotions
Nice book that shows how young children feel when they go to the dentist. In the book brother bear was nervous when he saw all the tools laid out in the dentist's office and that is how I was when I first went to the dentist. I like how in the end of the book, sister and brother bear saw that they had nothing to fear when their dentist visit was over. This could be a good book to read to children before they go to the dentist.

Learning Experience: I would have a bag full of tools that could be
VampireNovelFan
Apr 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
I think there's a very good reason that this book series has spanned decades and maintained popularity. It gives children the chance to think on their own and make their own choices for behaviors that carry over into their adult lives. Many of these issues will be ones that will persist through their lives, just on different levels of course.

I love the nostalgia reading this as an adult. Even grown-ups struggle with keeping up with their health. If doctors visits are sparse, you can bet dental
Diane
Mar 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I used this book to help my son prepare for a dentist visit. It does discuss "yanking" a loose tooth, which could frighten some children AND adults. Personally, loose teeth makes me queasy, so I have a hard time reading some of the story. But, it did seem to give my four year old an understanding and a reminder of what going to the dentist is like. It is a typical Berenstain Bears book, although I did not find the children quite as annoying as I usually do, and thankfully the bumbling father ...more
Haley Heinkel
Oct 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The Berenstain books are children favorites. This is also a collection of books that are all educational to children. This book focused on a visit to the dentist office. Every child is nervous about their first visit to the dentist this is a great book for children to read and understand how important going to the dentist is and how they should not be scared to go. I read this book when i was a child and then 10 years later it still is one of my favorite books. The pictures are amazing and easy ...more
Francine
Jun 11, 2010 rated it liked it
Beth Felker
Nov 25, 2012 rated it liked it
This book is apart of a series which focuses on the family of bears and their daily life. In this book sister bear has to go to the dentist and is very scared. Her whole family comes together to help her through her first dentist experience. The books are great because children can relate to them very easily, the illustrations are exciting and colorful. These books have valuable lessons that children can learn. I will definitely have some of these books in my classroom because of the lessons and ...more
Robin
Sep 22, 2008 added it
I used this book to prep Clara for her first dentist's appointment (at age 3 1/2). We read it together a few times before our visit, talking about various aspects of the story and how Clara's dentist might be similar to or different from the one Brother and Sister Bear visited. I think it helped a lot. Clara cooperated during her x-rays and cleaning...I think I was more nervous than she was. :) Unlike Brother Bear, Clara had NO CAVITIES that needed filling, so many of the dental tools we talked ...more
Rachel
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a good book for younger kids because it talks about the first tooth she lost and younger kids are still losing their teeth. It would be a book that would teach the students about losing their teeth and about going to the dentist which are both something they are going to experience. This book could teach the kids not to be as scared later when they have to do it. It wasn't one of my favorite books but there was nothing wrong with it I just didn't love it as much as the other books I ...more
Adam Utehs
This book talks about how children are just yanking out their teeth and how they are scared of going to the dentist. But when they get their the dentist they are scared but after all of their procedures they come out alright and they aren't scared of the dentist anymore. Most children are scared of the dentist because they are scared of the pain that is associated with the dentist. This book should be read to kids because they need to get over their fears of the dentist.
Whitney Strickland
Apr 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: going-to
The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist, from my experience a great book to share with first graders. Children love talking about their teeth. How many they have lost and especially talking about their trips to the dentist. For these reasons this book is extremely relatable and can spark many conversations. Also this would be an excellent read if your child is having anxiety about going to the dentist for the first time.
Shelli
Jul 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Stan and Jan Berenstain have a wonderful way of explaining situations that pop up in life in a way that makes sense to small children. This book is a good book to share with them before making that first trip to the dentist office. Strange how kids can get so nervous about something before they even know there is a reason to be nervous.
Dolly
Mar 22, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2009
This is a good book to introduce children to the dentist. It combines the storyline of losing your teeth as your adult teeth come in with the routine of going to the dentist for a checkup. It even covers getting a tooth filled due to a cavity. Our girls love the Berenstain Bears stories, so this is another one for them to enjoy (especially right before their dentist appointments!)
Sharlene Spencer
Oct 14, 2009 rated it it was ok
sister bear has a loose tooth. Brother bear has a cavity. There's a lot going on in the Berenstain household. Time to visit the dentist. Will sister bear get her tooth yanked out by the dentist? Will she get a visit from the tooth fairy?
Good book to use when kids are loosing their teeth. They can make real world connections.
Rosa Cline
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: first time Dentist patients
Shelves: kids, tooth-fairy, 2016, 2017
This was a very well written book for a child who has never been to the dentist. Taking the fear away from them. This book Sister bear has a loose tooth and goes with Brother to the dentist. Her dentist shows her (and the reader-listener) all the instruments that a dentist uses and he shows her how he fills Brother's cavity. A very well written story.
Rebekah
When I was little I was afraid of the Dentist, to be fair the first time I remember going to the dentist I has just watched the Rescuers for the first time and my Dentist looked a lot like Medusa. So my parents got me this book to show me how nice dentists are. I'm not sure how much it helped but I did grow out of my fear eventually.
chucklesthescot
Jul 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, children
Yes, they certainly glossed over the painful bits with injections and drills and things didn't they! Funny how neither one felt any pain! Wish I had that dentist then instead of the nutters I've visited! I liked Brother being a little sod and putting the terror into poor sister! He deserved a cavity for that!
James Vickery
Overall, I did not think that he book was very effective in teaching anything to a reader. However, the book did do a good job of listing and commenting on the different tools that dentist uses everyday. The book also did a good job by helping the audience to not fear the dentist and that going to the dentist is a good thing.
Alisha Brook
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 3andahalf-stars
Title: The Berenstain Bears Visit The Dentist
Series: Berenstain Bears
Author: Stan Berenstain & Jan Berenstain
Genre: Children's
Rating: 3.5 stars

I loved the Berenstain Bears book when I was growing up!! This book was one of the ones I read as a child - the Berenstain Bears were quite popular in my household.
Ethan Wesley
This story is in my kid's reading rotation at the moment. I think there is a bit of morbid fascination with Sister Bear getting her tooth pulled out. For me, there is a little bit of nostalgia with this story and the Berenstain Bears in particular; I remember having a few of these books as a kid.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Llama Llama Misses Mama
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Joy of Giving
  • Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb
  • Clifford's Puppy Days
  • Arthur's Valentine (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Just Me and My Puppy (A Golden Look-Look Book)
  • In a People House
  • If You Give a Pig a Party
  • Little Owl's Night
  • Walt Disney's 101 Dalmatians

The Berenstain Bears (1 - 10 of 71 books)
  • The Berenstain Bears' New Baby
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to School
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Sitter
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor
  • The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day
  • The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to Camp (First Look Books, #7)
  • The Berenstain Bears in the Dark
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Messy Room
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Truth

News & Interviews

With clever detectives, missing jewels, murderous women, daring spies, and more, mysteries and thrillers deliver page-turning delight with ever...