Start by marking “The Spring of the Tiger” as Want to Read:
The Spring of the Tiger

The Spring of the Tiger

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  1,548 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
When Sarah Ashington's actress mother dies after a devastating scandal, Sarah is left at her long-lost father's rambling, ancestral estate to face the disturbing questions of her own past. Then her father's death draws her to his Ceylon plantation -- and into the shadows of a legend from which their may be no return . . .
Published December 31st 1979 by Doubleday Books (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Spring of the Tiger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spring of the Tiger

Misfit
Wow. When VH is off, she's really off. This book should have had everything I want to see in a Holt novel. Exotic setting, check. An ancient (and valuable beyond price) pearl & emerald necklace that legend says is cursed - check.

So what went wrong? The first 50% of the book was nothing but set-up for that happens after our heroine's mother and father die and she's married off to the gent who owns the adjacent plantation in Ceylon. Instead of beginning at the heroine's marriage and moving to
Sarah Mac
3.5, actually. I rounded down for two very specific reasons: (1) the pacing of the first couple chapters was a bit slow; (2) love interest Clinton was a douche & I wanted to punch him every time he opened his mouth. But don't let that stop you from reading. :P Plot-wise, this is a highly layered story; everything builds on everything else, & nothing is overlooked so far as fitting into the entire picture. It starts somewhat oddly & finishes with an equally unorthodox twist, so far as ...more
Hannah
Jun 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romances, gothics
One of my fave Victoria Holt's, and a great reminder of my youthful reading pleasures!

TSotT has a fantastic twist not often seen in this genre, and raises the bar a notch over some of Holt's similar offerings.

Good fluff weekend reading!

AgentScully
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
I read this book years ago and don't remember a whole lot about it, but I do remember having a hard time believing that a book with such a lovely cover could be so mediocre. Heroine spends most of the book married to a cad who regularly cheats on her with his mistress, but they still have lots of Hate!sex <-------behind closed doors, because Victoria Holt. In 1979. Not my kinda romance. The pearls part of the plot was an interesting twist, but otherwise it's a pretty standard who-is-trying-t ...more
A book with plenty of adventure elements, gothic romance, seduction, revenge, poison, suspense and murder. What else? A quite enjoyable reading for a free afternoon.
Danielle
May 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I think this is my most favorite book of all times. The male character has this totally bad side to him in order to get the girl he wants. But in the end I swear everyone will fall in love with him. It is a must read!!!!!
Cathleen
Sep 18, 2013 rated it liked it
My first Victoria Holt! I really enjoyed it! It kept me on my toes wondering what was next! I think a few parts were too long and drawn out. The first half was so different than the second. I kind of felt like I read two separate novels. But the ending pulled it all together.
Neja
Dec 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-childhood
Books written by Victoria Holt are so cheesy, but sometimes that's exactly what you need. I've read a loooot of her books when I was 14/15 years old..that was the last time I've read them. I absolutely loved them at the time. I'm thinking of reading one of her books just for the old times sake! =)
Kshydog
Jul 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-already
The cover of the book I read led me to think this was a romance book. It was but so much more about friendships, relationships, and suspense during last quarter of book.
  • Saraband for Two Sisters (Daughters of England, #4)
  • The Stone Bull

Eleanor Alice Burford, Mrs. George Percival Hibbert was a British author of about 200 historical novels, most of them under the pen name Jean Plaidy which had sold 14 million copies by the time of her death. She chose to use various names because of the differences in subjec
More about Victoria Holt...