Start by marking “Sweet Tooth, Volume 2: In Captivity” as Want to Read:
Sweet Tooth, Volume 2: In Captivity

Sweet Tooth, Volume 2: In Captivity (Sweet Tooth, #2)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  7,769 Ratings  ·  347 Reviews
Learn the heartbreaking story of Jeppard and how he went from devoted husband to ruthless mercenary. Meanwhile, Gus is held captive with other hybrid creatures in a camp where he meets a scientist studying the plague that's wiped out so much of the world.

Collecting: Sweet Tooth 6-11
Paperback, Trade, 144 pages
Published December 14th 2010 by Vertigo

Trina (Between Chapters)
Much better than the first one in my opinion! Explored several aspects of the back story of this world. I had been bored with volume one but this one got me intrigued to find out more. But I do find a lot of the depictions pretty unsettling.
Lindsey Rey
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
so goOod
Paz R.M.
4 Stars
Do you remember when I said in my review of volume 1 that I was intrigued by this graphic novel?
Well, now I'm just fascinated by this world and this story.
Volume 2: In Captivity is a darker volume. I feel like Vol. 1 was more heavy on the ambiance and in building up the setting, but this one is a much better crafted volume. Not only it expands a lot on the history of this world and the plague (also, Sweet Tooth possible involvement in its origin), but there are excellent character moments
Julie Zantopoulos
I don't think that this is really a series for me but I have the third edition so I will also read that. The premise is interesting but I don't like the art style, I don't like Jeppers (or whatever his name is) and I'm struggling to connect to it. It's a bit of religion and cultish stuff going on that I'm not connecting with, either. We'll see how the third one goes.
Leo
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Finally I had the chance to read the second volume of Sweet Tooth!
Lemire gives us the backstory of Jepperd which keep surprising me, not exactly by what happens but by interlocking it with events from the present.
Sweet Tooth is also being held by a bunch of men who want animal-children to investigate how the plague came to be and stop it. Or at least that how they justify their deplorable action. We learn more about Sweet Tooth past and some interesting things (and questions) arise. This volume
ThePhoenix93
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was so depressing and scary, but also sooo good!
Ish Jones
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Got to find out more about Mr Jepperd and his backstory. Great installment to the series!
Anasylvia
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
SImilar vibes to Y the last Man only way creepier. Hoping it's just as good.
Crystal Starr Light
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Bullet Review:

Really picking up speed, fleshing out background and characters.
Michael Church
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dc-comics
Oh the FEELS in this book.

I had my doubts about Jeff Lemire drawing this by himself, but that has LONG GONE. Is the art perfect and clean and digital? No. But it's not supposed to be. It's gritty and dirty and a little f*cked up because that is what this book is.

The ride that this volume takes you on is intense. Learning about Jeppard's past and his motives is incredibly moving. I had tears welling up in my eyes more than once. I also really like how well-paced the book is. There's none of the
Sam Quixote
Jul 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
The second book of Jeff Lemire's apocalyptic sci-fi horror "Sweet Tooth" sees our hero Gus in a concentration camp with fellow human-animal hybrid kids who are being experimented on in a Dr Mengele-like fashion. But wait, the yuks just keep on coming! Jepperd, the Judas of the first book, is given his day in court also and we learn of his tragic relationship with his now-deceased wife, and we find out clues about the origin of the mysterious plague that has ruined this reality.

Lemire expands on
Chelsea
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
More on Mr. Jepperd's backstory as we get more information on what goes on in the militia camp. Now, I'm starting to understand the comments that this series is reminiscent of The Walking Dead.

I get the reason for showing us Mr. Jeoperd's backstory. Doesn't make me any happier with him. He's clearly punishing himself, as he should be. Clearly, he guilt is eating away at him.

Back at the militia camp, Gus finds out that the animal hybrids get taken to the lab and never come back. Gus' age makes
Selene
Jan 09, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars
Emily
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
The first was good, and I thought this one was even better!
Jessi
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love that right off its treated like a series or show where they do a "previously on" and recap the previous volume. I think the pace was pretty steady and we're learning a lot about the characters and what's happening in this new world.

We pick up with Gus and Jepperd on their journey to "The Preserve." Jepperd promised to take Gus to this safe haven. It's supposed to be a sanctuary for Gus and other hybrids, but it isn't what it seems. Nothing is. What Gus learns is you can't always trust th
Don
Dec 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
What a difference one story makes. I found Volume 1 of Sweet Tooth to be fairly sparse. The story was nothing but set up with no real plot points, save one, introduced. In fact, I think one could skip Volume 1 entirely and not be at all lost with this series.

However, Volume 2 was a vast improvement. The plot doesn't move a lot, but it does move. And we get some great character development with Gus and Jeppard, the man who captured him in the first volume. We're also introduced to the people at T
Jacquelyn
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: borrowed
The more I read, the more I want to read. The first volume was weird but intriguing, and I was ready to see where the story was going. But volume 2? I'm in it for the long haul. I'm a sucker for the underdog, the outcast, the beaten and broken, finding strength to stand up to injustice. I'm also a sucker for the line "I'm gonna kill everyone", when "everyone" is a group of a-holes.
Jojo
May 24, 2015 rated it liked it
A minha opinião desta saga em vídeo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6ymw...
Kayla (BOOKadoodles)
Be right back, I need to put my heart back together again.
Loretta
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
DNFed this one. It was sitting on my pile of books for 2 months while I accrued library late fees and I realized I just didn't care.
Sabrina
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I don't think this volume captivated me nearly as much as the first, but I am totally engrossed in this world and like what they did in terms of character development.
Tânia M.
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Mas no que é que me fui meter? Isto é tão triste e tão cativante ao mesmo tempo. Porque é que eu tenho a sensação de que ainda vou sofrer muito com estes dois...
Brea
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
HOLY CRAPPPPP
Giota
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Picked-up the pace and fleshed-out the characters, delved into their past and helped the reader understand them better. This volume was more emotionally charged than the first one.
Alison
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
this is getting even more strange than expected, and i'm still not really sure what exactly is happening? but it was nice seeing a little backstory
Otherwyrld
Volume 2 of this series delves quite deeply into Jepperd's back-story, showing how he ended up kidnapping Gus and delivering him into the hands of monsters. It is a surprisingly bitter-sweet story and showcases that Jepperd is a good person even if he isn't a nice person. His reasons for helping Gus become apparent when they arrive at "The Preserve".

Jepperd has delivered Gus into the hands of a militia group that are running a concentration camp for hybrid children, complete with it's own versio
Dominick
Aug 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
OK, volume two resolves the problematic implication (for me, anyway) in volume one that the mutant or hybrid children (human/animal mixes) were caused by disease; it now appears instead that some sort of genetic engineering project may have created the kids and as a side effect caused a disease fatal to regular humanity. Still a dodgy concept, but at least it makes a bit more sense. Lemire plays on familiar tropes, such as the scientist searching desperately for a cure and being willing to do ho ...more
Michael
Aug 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Better than the first chapter, we get more background on Jepperd. We learn why he's doing what he is doing. Lots of flash back to the beginning of the plague in the eyes of Jepperd. We learn a bit more about Gus and new theories of how the plague happened. Gus might be the key in some people's view. The art is amazing like normal. Lemire has a beautiful style that is his own. It brings a special feel to the book that only Lemire can bring.

A little inside joke is placed at the beginning of the b
JB
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this even more than volume 1. This volume shows a bit more of the world and the state it's in. It shows a lot of Jepperd's past. How he and his wife roamed the country in search of a safe haven. It was very interesting to see Gus under hypnosis. We went on a trip through his past, his life with his father in the cabin.

Gus seems to be more than we thought after reading volume 1, so does his father. I can't wait to find out how it will turn out.

I really like Jepperd. He's a great chara
  • Chew, Vol. 2: International Flavor
  • The Unwritten, Vol. 4: Leviathan
  • Scalped, Vol. 5: High Lonesome (Scalped, #5)
  • DMZ, Vol. 4: Friendly Fire
  • Revolver
  • American Vampire, Vol. 2
  • Rachel Rising, Volume 3: Cemetery Songs
Jeff Lemire is an award-winning Canadian cartoonist, and the author of the Essex County Trilogy, Sweet Tooth and The Nobody. Lemire is known for a his moody, humanistic stories and sketchy, cinematic, black-and-white art.
More about Jeff Lemire...

Sweet Tooth, (6 books)