Start by marking “Period.: A Girl's Guide” as Want to Read:
Period.: A Girl's Guide

Period.: A Girl's Guide

For parents who do not know how or where to begin this discussion, here are ideas to get them started. A detachable Parent's Guide will lead them through the learning process for themselves and their daughters—and even their sons. The Parent's Guide can also be found in its entirety on the Book Peddlers website at www.bookpeddlers.com. In it you will find:
• Talking About
Published December 11th 2000 by Book Peddlers, The (first published June 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Period., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Period.

Start your review of Period.: A Girl's Guide
Rebecca
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had the 1981 version of this book. Then and now, it's a shining example of positivity and inclusion, emphasizing that everyone's experiences of having a period and, indeed, being alive, are different and OK. Line drawings show all races, shapes, and abilities. I especially appreciated the section on pelvic exams. A few things are dated (belts for pads), but most of it holds up surprisingly well. FWIW, this book only talks about the menstrual cycle, and nothing about sex, sexuality, or gender.
Lindy Loo
The other day, while I was waiting for some sort of substantial reading to finally come in at the library, I decided to preoccupy myself with this book. It is one of two puberty-related books I was given by my parents when I was little and still have. My version is actually a first edition, published back in 1981. And seriously: I loved rereading it. Granted, I'm sure it's not as hip as the newer versions (hopefully) are: it only acknowledges the existence of hetero couples and it glosses over t ...more
Kim
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Straight forward information for girls that have yet to get their period.
Jamila
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it
vghujnbhgyujikolp;kojhu
Radiolab
Radiolab asked listeners for their sex ed recommendations.

Megan, a Radiolab listener, says, "It was a gift from my mom and was shared by me with only my very best friends. Also, there was a cut-out female reproductive system that was drawn to scale."
The Center for Sexual Pleasure & Health
Every Monday, The CSPH takes a look at a book or film focusing on an aspect of sexuality. This week we are featuring Period: A Girl’s Guide by JoAnn Loulan and Bonnie Worthen with illustrations by Martha Quackenbush.

Period has been educating girls of all ages and their parents about menstruation since its original publication in 1979. In the most recent 2000 edition, Period offers developmentally appropriate and bolstering information about the physical and psychological changes at the onset of
Sadie
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
I don't like that the very first page of this book is about images of perfect women as see on TV, etc even though it's a message about how we don't have to live up to these standards. Do books "for boys" talk about this?
In the section that descrbies body parts they don't use the word vulva!! That is unacceptable.
This books has large blocks of text that are unappealing to me and would most likely be so for my young daughter. Especially when there are so many options out there, this book just does
Shawna
Feb 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I checked this book out of the library about 25 times as a preteen. I wanted to be ready for what I thought was going to be the most exciting moment of my life. Oh, to be young again!

This book was invaluable to me then. It includes everything that my parents were waaaaaay too uncomfortable discussing with me.
Emily
Feb 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Good no nonsense book for explaining our lovely monthly gift (can you hear the sarcasm dripping?). I liked this one because it sticks to the topic, gives good information and explains growing up with out the "sex talk". I think it is perfect for younger girls, that don't need the sex talk just yet but do need to be informed about the menstrual cycle!
Becky
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read2014
Good information presented in plain language.
Amanda
This is a good book for parents who want to focus on the basics of menstruation without incorporating other aspects of sex and puberty. Respectful and detailed regarding practical tips and tricks.
Mell
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, non-fiction
read an earlier edition of this book as a kid. i think my mom bought it for me, to go along with "the talk." this book was fun, and made the whole period thing seem less scary.
NML_dc
Jan 07, 2017
rocio gonza{ez
Mar 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Simone Biles: America's Greatest Gymnast (Rookie Biographies)
  • Goodnight Moon
  • Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • The Care and Keeping of You 1: The Body Book for Younger Girls
  • Farm Anatomy: Curious Parts and Pieces of Country Life
  • A Smart Girl's Guide to Manners: The Secrets to Grace, Confidence, and Being Your Best
  • Making Comics: Storytelling Secrets of Comics, Manga and Graphic Novels
  • Nature Anatomy
  • The Usborne Internet-Linked Encyclopedia of the Ancient World (History Encyclopedias)
  • The Care and Keeping of You 2: The Body Book for Older Girls
  • A Smart Girl's Guide to Knowing What to Say: Finding the Words to Fit Any Situation
  • The Girls' Book of Flower Fairies
  • Food Anatomy: The Curious Parts & Pieces of Our Edible World
  • Is This Normal?: Girls' Questions, Answered by the Editors of the Care & Keeping of You
  • The Hawaiian Survival Handbook